Are our churches failing at properly teaching Christology?

Matthew13:9

Nov 13, 2017
ontario
✟3,460.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Given the recent spate of Christological threads which have challenged, and indeed outright attacked, the orthodox Christological teaching, it seems like it is worth asking if the reason for so much confusion is because people are being improperly catechized in our churches.

Or is this less of a failure of churches properly teaching the faith, and more representative of rogue theology?

Or both?

And how do we address these problems in our church communities?

-CryptoLutheran

You will never know the truth unless God gives you ears to hear the word of God.

Reactions: OSAS 101
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Then they face difficulties in life where that spiritual buzz just ain't there, and a hard-nosed skeptic comes along and smashes their fragile worldview.

"my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge." - Hosea 4:6
Yet there are people who say that explaining the doctrine of the Trinity is philosophical non-sense.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Given the recent spate of Christological threads which have challenged, and indeed outright attacked, the orthodox Christological teaching, it seems like it is worth asking if the reason for so much confusion is because people are being improperly catechized in our churches.
Yes, many are failing.

Upvote 0

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian

Or is this less of a failure of churches properly teaching the faith, and more representative of rogue theology?

Or both?

-CryptoLutheran
This presumes that following the Catholic or Orthodox is correct. The reformation took place for a reason, because of non biblical teaching and corruption. So to answer your question we would all need to approach this from a specific foundation prior to any discourse on the subject.

Upvote 0

FatalHeart

Wisdom's Associate
Jan 23, 2013
The pulsating core of the interwebs
✟20,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Or both?

-CryptoLutheran

Actually following the Holy Spirit instead of the wisdom of man would be a great place to start.

Reactions: OSAS 101
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟412,239.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I believe that many shy away from teaching the Nicene Creed, assuming that it's recitation on a regular of semi regular basis is sufficient. We have allowed theology to become very undisciplined, many seeming to prefer i-theology rather than the ancient wisdom.

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Not poor taste, the word is slander.

No, not slander. It would be claiming that certain threads espouse unorthodox Christology. "Slander" means something very different.

I don't know what the OP is referring to. I don't really see Christologically problematic thread titles in the first few pages of General Theology. The only candidates are actually yours, but they all belong to a single user. Maybe I have to read further into the OP's or threads? It's sort of hard to have a fruitful conversation if you don't know what you're actually talking about. Given the SOP such a clarification would be not only helpful, but welcome.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The simple reason is that many (most?) unaffiliated and non-denominational churches just do not address it at all, and many denominational do not either. They leave it at Jesus is God and that is about as deep as any Sunday sermon gets as their focus is on the love of God, the love of Jesus. If they have a membership class it is a hour or two long and does not delve into those matters. Some churches still have a longer catechism or membership class that does delve into these matters more, but they are more common in mainline, mainstream denominational, and more liturgical churches. That is not to say that unaffiliated and non-Denom churches do not have classes that talk about this, but I see it as less common.

So, to directly answer: yes, it is a problem that people are not being properly catechized in the churches.
Many forms of evangelicalism and pentecostalism in the US are less driven by doctrine, and more by experience or community values, and are very much prone to falling back on the opinio legis as the core of Christian identity. If you're an Arian or Sabellian, that's less important than what your stance is on abortion, gay marriage, or Christian cultural symbols in the public square.
Right I think it’s that ‘seeker friendly’ mentality not only being pandered by many congregations but is what many people are looking for. IRL when I ask them about their particular church they proclaim loud and proud it is a bible preaching church but when questioning them on Christian doctrines 101 their contributions to the conversation tends to run short and I typically see a glazed look in their eyes when I continue the subject.

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Or, is it due to the doctrinal chaos of Protestantism? Over 6,000 registered denominations, plus 20,000+ so-called "non-denominational" churches, each claiming to be teaching Christological truth "right out of the Bible", yet the teaching of each one conflicting with the teaching of the others? Truth cannot conflict with truth, so what's going on here? No wonder the plainly stated will of Jesus Christ was, and still is, "that they all may be ONE, even as I and my heavenly Father are ONE".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This presumes that following the Catholic or Orthodox is correct. The reformation took place for a reason, because of non biblical teaching and corruption. So to answer your question we would all need to approach this from a specific foundation prior to any discourse on the subject.
We base our knowledge on their interpretation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In broad terms, it concerns the nature and purpose of Christ. Many heresies of old were related to it, yet they persist and seem to be growing again. Some of the big ones were Arianism, Adoptionism, Modalism/Sabellianism, and Nestorianism.
I don't think I got an alert for this.

I know two of the above heresies, but not all.
If it regards the nature and purpose of Christ, I was going to ask what is being taught in churches that is not correct.

I don't live in the states anymore and am feeling out of touch.
Arianism is on the rise? And Modalism?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,169.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Short answer - and I say this as a member of the clergy whose responsibility it is to get this right - yes, our churches are failing to properly teach Christology.

I don't think I got any robust teaching on Christology prior to theological college.

My guess as to why this is actually relates to @dzheremi's point. Time. Most of my congregation are very time-poor and not willing to put much time into study groups or the like. My teenagers - who should be being thoroughly catechised! - I hardly ever see.

So I have to make decisions about what is the most urgent thing to address in my preaching or teaching, for whichever proportion of people will turn up on that day... and in a church with significant issues which need to be worked on, seldom is Christology the most urgent. I think many parishes would be in the same sort of boat.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christology is the branch of theology that deals with the nature and person of Jesus Christ.

-CryptoLutheran
I do see on these threads the problem some have in accepting Jesus is God - they understand Him to be the Son of God or the Messiah, etc. Not anything else I can think of.

What I DO see is too much personal doctrine that some come to all on their very own. I do find this disturbing.

I'll follow along, I probably won't have anything to add.

Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, not slander. It would be claiming that certain threads espouse unorthodox Christology. "Slander" means something very different.

I don't know what the OP is referring to. I don't really see Christologically problematic thread titles in the first few pages of General Theology. The only candidates are actually yours, but they all belong to a single user. Maybe I have to read further into the OP's or threads? It's sort of hard to have a fruitful conversation if you don't know what you're actually talking about. Given the SOP such a clarification would be not only helpful, but welcome.
It would be better if OP would clarify what Christology issue is he talking about. However, I can say that I read some comments denying that Mary gave birth to God because "God has always existed".

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0