Are Mormons Christian? (Moved from General Theology)

Are Mormons Christian?

• Yes, Mormons are Christian.

• No, Mormons are not Christian.

• Not sure/Other/I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I'll bet my avatar can beat up your avatar, anyone else see this?
(Just thought I'd lighten up a little bit. Actually, come to think of it, I'll bet my avatar COULD beat up your avatar)
Yours is from the inquisition, mine is the apostle simon the zealot...His real sword is the written word of God...I win:D
I sent him 200 blessings a while back so he could get a new one. :)

He hasn't upgraded yet.
Hey tad I hope I thanked you for these I put that on their when kristos my friend started the st. simon the zealot thread, that was what my new upgrade was, sorry if I left you hangin.

Upvote 0

Daral

Oct 25, 2007
✟7,754.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I don't think the Mormon church is a Christian organization, but I can't read the hearts of the individual member, who may truly have given Jesus their hearts...

I mostly agree with this. I might go further to say that the (terrible, IMO) theology of LDS church reduces the chances of Mormons being saved, compared to mainline churches. However, ultimately it's a question of whether the individual is saved, and not whether they're a "Mormon" or a "Baptist" or a "Whatever". So I didn't vote in the poll; titles are irrelevant; it's what's in the heart that matters.

So Mormons are close enough that I'd say it's possible that one could be saved, but I would still never encourage anyone to go to an LDS temple due to the aforementioned terrible theology.

Upvote 0

Catholic Christian

May 12, 2007
United States
✟5,032.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We can get into debates (and we have) over whether the Bible supports the Trinity or not. Plain and simple, we interpret the Bible to where we have come up with our understanding of the Godhead, and you have interpreted it to where you've come up with your understanding of the Trinity.
Actually, its not MY interpretation: Its the interpretation of the early Church. As a Catholic, I trust the Church as my teacher, because I believe that Christ protects it from teaching error. I'm afraid I could never bring myself to think that MY insightful interpretation of scripture is superior to that of 2000 years of saints, popes, theologians, and doctors of the Church.

Upvote 0
E

ECHELON

I voted that I don't know because I don't know much about their beliefs.

I often get their beliefs mixed up with what JWs believe.
So if I may, can I ask a couple questions?

Do Mormons believe that Jesus is the great I AM? That being that He existed as God, the Word, before He was made a man? I think I remember hearing something about Mormons believing that Jesus became a God but existed as an angel and that Jesus and Satan were actually brothers. Is that true? Is that what Mormons believe?

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the Mormon church is a Christian organization, but I can't read the hearts of the individual member, who may truly have given Jesus their hearts...
I agree. The teachings of the Mormon religion are not Christian. But, some of the members of their churches may be Christians.

Upvote 0

Melbelle

Deadheadmakeup
Mar 22, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟53,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

I voted no because of the religion. Salvation I do not believe will come from the doctine of Mormonism, but then again, even a fervant 'believer' and church goer to Baptist churches can still be unsaved...
You are right, but if a mormon comes across the truth and gets saved, then he/she starts living for christ and doing what the bible commands but still belongs to the Mormon faith, then yes they can be a christian, Religion does not buy our ticket into heaven, no man can save us, no religion can save us, the word of God, the sacrifice Jesus made on that cross that day, when he was crucified, is what saves us, having faith that God sent himself as Jesus to die for our sins, Jesus who spent 3 days in hell, so we would not have to, that is what saves us, and that gift isn't given only to 1 or 2 religions, its given to anyone who will accept that gift.

Our works do not save us.

Ephesions 2:8-9 For by GRACE are ye saved, Through FAITH that not of yourself it is the gift of God, NOT OF WORKS least any man shall boast.

Works are great, and if you are truely saved, you will want to work for christ, we are human, and we do fall short of his glory, but we can if we are truely his childeren we will come back into his good grace. :amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zippythepinhead

Contributor
Jan 5, 2005
Utah
✟6,492.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No they are not. They understand the Holy Trinity as three separate Gods and they are polytheistic in that respect.... You cannot be Chsitian and be polytheistic.
You cannot be christian and pray to saints. You must pray to the Father in the name of Jesus Christ. Worshipping saints is a pagan practice. Thus you cannot claim chrisitanity

Upvote 0

Zippythepinhead

Contributor
Jan 5, 2005
Utah
✟6,492.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You are right, but if a mormon comes across the truth and gets saved, then he/she starts living for christ and doing what the bible commands but still belongs to the Mormon faith, then yes they can be a christian, Religion does not buy our ticket into heaven, no man can save us, no religion can save us, the word of God, the sacrifice Jesus made on that cross that day, when he was crucified, is what saves us, having faith that God sent himself as Jesus to die for our sins, Jesus who spent 3 days in hell, so we would not have to, that is what saves us, and that gift isn't given only to 1 or 2 religions, its given to anyone who will accept that gift.

Our works do not save us.

Ephesions 2:8-9 For by GRACE are ye saved, Through FAITH that not of yourself it is the gift of God, NOT OF WORKS least any man shall boast.

Works are great, and if you are truely saved, you will want to work for christ, we are human, and we do fall short of his glory, but we can if we are truely his childeren we will come back into his good grace. :amen:
I am saved. Thanks for statement.

Upvote 0

Zippythepinhead

Contributor
Jan 5, 2005
Utah
✟6,492.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I mostly agree with this. I might go further to say that the (terrible, IMO) theology of LDS church reduces the chances of Mormons being saved, compared to mainline churches. However, ultimately it's a question of whether the individual is saved, and not whether they're a "Mormon" or a "Baptist" or a "Whatever". So I didn't vote in the poll; titles are irrelevant; it's what's in the heart that matters.

So Mormons are close enough that I'd say it's possible that one could be saved, but I would still never encourage anyone to go to an LDS temple due to the aforementioned terrible theology.
Obviously you don't understand LDS beliefs. Therfore I must discount your statement as heresy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
E

ECHELON

I voted that I don't know because I don't know much about their beliefs.

I often get their beliefs mixed up with what JWs believe.
So if I may, can I ask a couple questions?

Do Mormons believe that Jesus is the great I AM? That being that He existed as God, the Word, before He was made a man? I think I remember hearing something about Mormons believing that Jesus became a God but existed as an angel and that Jesus and Satan were actually brothers. Is that true? Is that what Mormons believe?
I'd really like to know the answers to these questions, please :)

Upvote 0
D

dragoniatiegre

I'd really like to know the answers to these questions, please :)
Yes, He was Jehovah, the great I AM. He is the Son of God, existing before this world was. Jesus has always been the Christ, always been God.

As for Jesus and Satain being brothers, try to see it from our point of view; Jesus is the Only Begotten, the Son of God. Everyone else (Lucifer included) are God's creations. Since we view ourselves (all mankind) as God's children, albeit created, we see Christ as our Elder Brother. Since Lucifer was created by God (or under God's direction), he was our brother at one point as well. Then he decided to rebell, and lost that status when he and the 1/3 were cast out of heaven.

The "brother" connection is only in relation to the creator-createe status, and Christ's status as God's Only Begotten.

Upvote 0

Melbelle

Deadheadmakeup
Mar 22, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟53,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, He was Jehovah, the great I AM. He is the Son of God, existing before this world was. Jesus has always been the Christ, always been God.

As for Jesus and Satain being brothers, try to see it from our point of view; Jesus is the Only Begotten, the Son of God. Everyone else (Lucifer included) are God's creations. Since we view ourselves (all mankind) as God's children, albeit created, we see Christ as our Elder Brother. Since Lucifer was created by God (or under God's direction), he was our brother at one point as well. Then he decided to rebell, and lost that status when he and the 1/3 were cast out of heaven.

The "brother" connection is only in relation to the creator-createe status, and Christ's status as God's Only Begotten.
But we don't consider God as a brother, we consider God as our heavenly Father.

Upvote 0
E

ECHELON

Excellent, no problems so far :thumbsup:

I have to admitt, this is a different way to say it but I think, if I followed you correctly, that there is nothing here I can object to.

I'm now having a hard time believeing that Mormons aren't Christians. I do have just a couple more questions if you don't mind.

Do you believe in the Trinity? I do but I don't think that if you don't it will negate salvation, just curious.

Also, I believe that we have to become born again. By that I mean that God has to create a new spirit in us. I believe this spirit is made out of righteousness and holiness. I believe that one cannot become a son or daughter of God unless they recieve this new spirit. And that belief in Jesus Christ is the one and only way to recieve this new spirit. Do you believe in this new spirit, and that Jesus Christ is the one and only way to recieve it? I know this is alot to answer but I would very much appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.