Are Mormons Christian? (Moved from General Theology)

Are Mormons Christian?

• Yes, Mormons are Christian.

• No, Mormons are not Christian.

• Not sure/Other/I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟17,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Please vote in my poll. I have made it as unbiased as possible. Thanks!

Mormons could be Christians IF
they subscribed to the :bow: Roman Catholic belief
that His Holiness Pope Peter :ebil: was the first Pope
and in the Magisterium.

They have made, Apostles out of COMMON :bow: Man
and have missed this Holy Line.

Do you understand ?
:angel:
Happy New Year

Upvote 0

Zippythepinhead

Contributor
Jan 5, 2005
Utah
✟6,492.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I could also state that non denominational christians are not Christian as they do not belong to an organized church of one Lord, One Faith, One Baptism. Therefore they fail the listhmus test for Christianity. Sorry. Go back to start and try splanin it again!

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
and in the Magisterium.
Hilarious, you think this is what's necessary to become a christian?

Upvote 0

Zippythepinhead

Contributor
Jan 5, 2005
Utah
✟6,492.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
and in the Magisterium.

Do you understand ?
Happy New Year
But we don't follow the Pope. We follow Jesus Christ so I guess that makes followers of Christ unchristian? Quick throw LDS to the Lions. Tell me is the worship of Saints Christian when the Bible clearly has God stating thou shalt have no other gods before me?

Upvote 0

Zippythepinhead

Contributor
Jan 5, 2005
Utah
✟6,492.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
and in the Magisterium.

Do you understand ?
Happy New Year
Are you aware that the LDS Church has a lay clergy following the New Testament Apostle model? The Catholic Church has a paid preisthood. The LDS does not. Nor do we sell indulgences for a nominal fee.

Upvote 0

winsome

English, not British
Dec 15, 2005
England
✟19,011.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Are you aware that the LDS Church has a lay clergy following the New Testament Apostle model? The Catholic Church has a paid preisthood. The LDS does not. Nor do we sell indulgences for a nominal fee.

I could easily say that Catholics aren't Christian as they pray to saints, worship the Virgin Mary, and Christ is not the central tenant of their faith, but an afterthought.

You seem to be able to say all sorts of whacky things but finding it easy to say doesn't make them true.

Upvote 0

Catholic Christian

May 12, 2007
United States
✟5,032.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mormons could be Christians IF they subscribed to the :bow: Roman Catholic belief that His Holiness Pope Peter :ebil: was the first Pope and in the Magisterium. They have made, Apostles out of COMMON :bow: Man and have missed this Holy Line. Do you understand ? :angel: Happy New Year

I'm curious: How do you take a question about Mormons and manage to turn the answer into an anti-Catholic slur?
:confused:

Upvote 0

Catholic Christian

May 12, 2007
United States
✟5,032.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I could easily say that Catholics aren't Christian as they pray to saints, worship the Virgin Mary, and Christ is not the central tenant of their faith, but an afterthought.

Yes you could easily say that, but if you did, you would easily be telling a lie. First we do not "worship" Mary. That is blasphemous, and any Catholic that does so is condemned by their own Church. Second, asking Christians to pray for us is not anti-Christian. Haven't you ever asked anyone to pray for you? We just think that those in heaven are still part of the body of Christ, so it is okay to ask for their intercession.

As far as the idea that "Christ is not the central tenant of [our] faith" goes: That is just too outlandish to comment on. As the the very beginning of the Catechism states:

" 'FATHER, . . . this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.' 'God our Savior desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.' 'There is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved' than the name of JESUS."
"...God draws close to man. He calls man to seek him, to know him, to love him with all his strength. He calls together all men, scattered and divided by sin, into the unity of his family, the Church. To accomplish this, when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son as Redeemer and Savior. In his Son and through him, he invites men to become, in the Holy Spirit, his adopted children and thus heirs of his blessed life." (Section One, Catechism Of The Catholic Church.)
http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/prologue.htm

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catholic Christian

May 12, 2007
United States
✟5,032.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This seems opposite to scripture, anyone else see this?
Do you deny that the Church - however you may wish to define it - is the family of God, and do you deny that Christ wants us to enter into this family covenant - the "new and everlasting covenant" - with Him? You call THAT opposite to Scripture?

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you deny that the Church - however you may wish to define it - is the family of God, and do you deny that Christ wants us to enter into this family covenant - the "new and everlasting covenant" - with Him? You call THAT opposite to Scripture?
How'd you get that outta this??
He calls together all men, scattered and divided by sin, into the unity of his family, the Church.

http://www.carm.org/kjv/Romans/rom_9.htm#8

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Please vote in my poll. I have made it as unbiased as possible. Thanks!

I voted no, however I would add this:

A Christian is not a Christian because of what religion or church they attend.

A Mormon could be a Christian just as a Catholic, Baptist, or whatever could be.

A Christian is one who has been born again. Does not depend on where of if they attend church.

These scriptures tell how.

Ro 10:9-11

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
KJV

Upvote 0

Catholic Christian

May 12, 2007
United States
✟5,032.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How'd you get that outta this??

Well, I'll bet my avatar can beat up your avatar, anyone else see this?
(Just thought I'd lighten up a little bit. Actually, come to think of it, I'll bet my avatar COULD beat up your avatar)

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, I'll bet my avatar can beat up your avatar, anyone else see this?
(Just thought I'd lighten up a little bit. Actually, come to think of it, I'll bet my avatar COULD beat up your avatar)

I sent him 200 blessings a while back so he could get a new one. :)

He hasn't upgraded yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zippythepinhead

Contributor
Jan 5, 2005
Utah
✟6,492.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

You seem to be able to say all sorts of whacky things but finding it easy to say doesn't make them true.
Gee, thats what they say about the Latter-Day Saints all the time. We are wierd or strange or a cult in spite of the facts.

I used the Catholic Church as an example of how twisted opponents of what one believes to justify their viewpoints.

I actually believe that Catholics are christian, even though I don't agree with the whole of Catholic doctrine. But when the argument is turned around it you can understand with what nonsense the Mormons deal with.

Upvote 0

Zippythepinhead

Contributor
Jan 5, 2005
Utah
✟6,492.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm curious: How do you take a question about Mormons and manage to turn the answer into an anti-Catholic slur?
I have been at the brunt of many an anti Mormon argument. So I used the so called "anti Catholic" slur to illustrate my point of how others misrepresent my faith.

I also am a champion debater. I am not anti Catholic. I am trying to illustrate a point about how teachings can be used by one group claiming holier than thou status against another.

Upvote 0
D

dragoniatiegre

So any group who says they're believing and following Christ is Christian, no matter what it is that they believe and do. Just saying it is the important thing, zat right?

So if you believe in Jesus the Really Great Teacher who taught us to Be Excellent To Each Other, then you're as Christian as can be. Right.
No, I didn't say that they believe and follow Jesus, but Christ. The Jews teach of the existence of Jesus, and the Muslims teach that He was a great prophet. But only Christians teach that He was the Christ, the Son of God. Following Him and truly believing in Him causes that person's actions to be truly representative of what He taught. If one's actions are not Christian, then they are not truely following Christ.

Upvote 0
D

dragoniatiegre

pax vobis from
the Catholic Crusader

No, they are not Christian, although the one's I have met are kind, decent people, and I respect the way they conduct themselves.

A core belief of Christianity is that God is Triune: God is one being and three persons, Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Groups that fall outside of this core belief are not Christian, and these include Mormons and Jehovas Witnesses.
:crosseo:
We can get into debates (and we have) over whether the Bible supports the Trinity or not. Plain and simple, we interpret the Bible to where we have come up with our understanding of the Godhead, and you have interpreted it to where you've come up with your understanding of the Trinity.

Upvote 0
D

dragoniatiegre

Which is the point he was going for. People make similar wild claims about our beliefs. But that doesn't make those claims true.

Now, I know, and most LDS also know, that Catholics don't worship Saints, Mary, or the Pope. They have a reverence for them that we give to our Prophets. In both our sects, our worship goes only to God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.