Are 'formers' or 'free thinkers' mistreated?

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The evidence is all around you, in the threads, and all can see the truth in my words in how I post and my manner of discussion.....

Your own words convict you.........
I've seen what you write here about the Christians over on CARM.

Upvote 0

honorthesabbath

Senior Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
Arkansas
✟19,680.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
[/font]

When a guy claims to be a former SDA and tells me a bald-faced lie about what the church teaches I can assure that they didn't "study" their way out--they wouldn't even know how!

DJ--I think a lot of these formers could be called "had to edit due to cry babies"--lol. And this verse refers to them.....

2Ti 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

I too see how they twist the scriptures to conform to their rebellion against plain truths. It is very sad. I went thru all their arguments in Yahoo chat for over 8 yrs. Once they leave the truth--it seems impossible for them to ever come back. As I said before, one gal in our church, who was raised SDA--left the church (dragging her new husband with her, who by the way had come out of catholocism and LOVED the Advent message) and started going to a charismatic -tongues-church.

She was also a client of mine until she couldn't convince me to follow her and then she became very hostile to me as she had done to the rest of her family and church members.

I asked myself back then,'why do they (the formers) get so hostile and mean spirited when they leave? It seems more often than not that their decision to leave the truth made them very unhappy.

I say if your wanting to leave--then go quietly.

Upvote 0

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I too see how they twist the scriptures to conform to their rebellion against plain truth

Once they leave the truth

It seems more often than not that their decision to leave the truth

The thing is, most formers had this same unrealistic, black and white, dogmatic, we have all of the truth 100% mindset at one time also.

How ironic.

Upvote 0

sentipente

Senior Contributor
Jul 17, 2007
Silver Sprint, MD
✟46,642.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
The evidence is all around you, in the threads, and all can see the truth in my words in how I post and my manner of discussion.....

Reddogs, I think you have forgotten that you have had discussions with me. They do not all reflect the picture you are attempting to paint here.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟428,307.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reddogs, I think you have forgotten that you have had discussions with me. They do not all reflect the picture you are attempting to paint here.

I paint nothing.. I let God give me understanding, teach and preach fiercely what truth God shows me, and will not let go of what He has given me so far.....

If people are full of hate, evil and vitriol, under Satans dominion, there is not much I can say or discuss, but if they truly seek God, I can share the little that has been shown to me.......

If you mistook me for a saint, I apologize as I am a sinner believing and depending on God......

Upvote 0

RC_NewProtestants

Senior Veteran
May 2, 2006
Washington State
Visit site
✟18,250.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If people are full of hate, evil and vitriol, under Satans dominion, there is not much I can say or discuss, but if they truly seek God, I can share the little that has been shown to me.......

Really so the only reason someone would disagree with you Red is because they are full of hate, evil and vitriol and under Satan's dominion?

Convenient isn't it? When disagreements arise the other side is of the devil.

Upvote 0

djconklin

Moderate SDA
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟11,806.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogs

I've seen what you write here about the Christians over on CARM.

Would a Christian ever threaten another with "I'd send you to hell no matter what Jesus would do" as one person at CARM did to me? Would they claim I ignored synonyms when I hadn't?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

djconklin

Moderate SDA
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟11,806.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Possibly a diagnosis of delusions of grandeur here. Of course I am only an amateur psychologist consult your local doctor.

Given that in the post you quoted from he also said: "If you mistook me for a saint, I apologize as I am a sinner believing and depending on God......" I'd suggest that its not him who needs to seek medical treatment for a mental disorder.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟428,307.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would a Christian ever threaten another with "I'd send you to hell no matter what Jesus would do" as one person at CARM did to me? Would they claim I ignored synonyms when I hadn't?

20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
24Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion. 28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them. Romans 1:20-32

Upvote 0

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟10,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting question. As a former I can offer my perspective. Some formers are not mistreated, but most are. For most the mistreatment is not what caused them to leave, but what happened after they told others that they were leaving. Personally, I didn’t go though most of what others have because I moved away from my church before I left the SDA church. My experience has mostly been with my family and they were devastated. When you leave the SDA church you leave more than a set of beliefs – you leave behind a culture. And your loved ones believe you have left behind the truth and possibly your salvation. For someone who was born and raised in the church most of their friends and family are likely SDA. When someone leaves the culture they become an outsider and many are shunned. I praise God my family is not like that. I am not shunned, but conversations are built around the elephant in the room which leaves little room for an in-depth relationship. I know it hurts my family that I am not SDA anymore – I mean they spend their life working for the church. Although I know they wish for me to be SDA again, I praise God that they act in love. If they voiced insults like I was twisting scripture or that I followed a different spirit then we would have no relationship whatsoever.

I’ve also experienced situations where I was with Adventists and as soon as they found out I was a former SDA I was treated very differently or avoided because I was an anomaly. Honestly, there are still some friends who live far away that I have not told. Our correspondence has been sweet and I would like to leave it at that.

“Blackballed” would be an appropriate description in most cases. If formers were treated with the same love as prospective SDAs it might be a different story.

Formers may experience a lot of pain as a result of leaving that may take awhile to work though. The pain isn't the result of trying to justify the new beliefs or ignoring the Holy Spirit, but pain from broken relationships, from being an outsider to their own culture, and/or struggling with feeling like they were deceived.

Just my perspective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RC_NewProtestants

Senior Veteran
May 2, 2006
Washington State
Visit site
✟18,250.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Given that in the post you quoted from he also said: "If you mistook me for a saint, I apologize as I am a sinner believing and depending on God......" I'd suggest that its not him who needs to seek medical treatment for a mental disorder.
Yes DJ I forgot how humor impaired people are here.

Upvote 0

djconklin

Moderate SDA
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟11,806.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Originally Posted by djconklin
Yes DJ I forgot how humor impaired people are here.

I can't think of single school of thought in psychology that would call threatening to send someone to hell is humor. It is certianly not Christlike behavior from those who claim that we aren't Christians.

Upvote 0