Are 'formers' or 'free thinkers' mistreated?

djconklin

Moderate SDA
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟11,806.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm referring to the fact that I get a weekly reminder that I'm allegedly siding with Satan. :doh:

Weekly?!? Dang, you are lucky! I didn't even get a b-day card!

Email me and I'll give you my snail mail address--I'd like to see one of these missives.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟878,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Night, do Evangelical Adventists believe that scripture is the Word of God?

The only objection that way from evangelicals that I have seen is that they do not like the capital letter W as the Word is a reference to Christ in particular.

But yes, they do believe that the Scriptures are given by God.

Upvote 0

djconklin

Moderate SDA
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟11,806.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The only objection that way from evangelicals that I have seen is that they do not like the capital letter W as the Word is a reference to Christ in particular.

That seems kind of picayune. Christ is the Living Word of whom the written Word testifies. Where's the beef?

Upvote 0

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It could be that deep down inside they know they have really chosen the wrong side but since they continue to justify their decisions by rationalizations pride won't let them come back home.

This I do not agree with. I believe most formers studied thier way out and thier efforts were sincere and honest. I have read many of the studies Stan has put up on his website and I can tell you, the man is no slouch when it comes to Bible study.

I may not understand or agree with all of the conclusions they come to, but I will acknowledge that thier decision was not impulsive or overnight. Most leave the church after years of intense soul-searching and painstaking Bible study. Many looked for every avenue or possibilty to stay in and had no intentions of leaving.

They have to go where thier convictions lead them. If you follow your heart and your convictions, you will never be on the 'wrong side'. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

djconklin

Moderate SDA
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟11,806.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This I do not agree with. I believe most formers studied thier way out and thier efforts were sincere and honest.

When a guy claims to be a former SDA and tells me a bald-faced lie about what the church teaches I can assure that they didn't "study" their way out--they wouldn't even know how!

Upvote 0

sentipente

Senior Contributor
Jul 17, 2007
Silver Sprint, MD
✟46,642.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
I'm a free thinker, I consider myself to be intelligent (really all I have to base that on is my grades at school)....but I don't feel the need to get into a debate about whose interpretation is "smarter".
That is not the criterion. A "convenient" interpretation says the interpreter is more concerned with the position he is trying to defend than with truth.

Upvote 0

Xenon

Aug 11, 2007
Schaumburg, Illinois
✟15,675.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
[/font]

When a guy claims to be a former SDA and tells me a bald-faced lie about what the church teaches I can assure that they didn't "study" their way out--they wouldn't even know how!

I have a friend who "studied his way out". According to him, he had read the Bible and, seeing all the ways that God punished those who sinned, came to the conclusion that God was a tyrant. He is quite well-read on the bible and the various debates, and was on a religious debate show at his college where he did very well.

At the time that he told me about this, I had not yet read the Bible (although I was "religious"), so I was not equipped to argue with him. Knowing what I know now, I wonder how he missed the mercy that God had for those who were against him and condemned those who spoke for him. There are people who come to those conclusions without studying, but it seems that all we can do is ask them to take a second look.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

djconklin

Moderate SDA
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟11,806.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
... I wonder how he missed the mercy that God had for those who were against him and condemned those who spoke for him. There are people who come to those conclusions without studying, ...

Right--that's why I said they didn't know how to study. Between ignoring context and failing to look at the whole picture it is now wonder they come up with crazy ideas.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Red, you paid money to join CARM just to get a thrashing? I hear it's pretty bad there.
You do not have to pay money to join. Red tends to cut and paste a lot and doesn't stick around for much discussion. That presents a problem on a 'discussion' board.

There you can openly discuss beliefs and ask questions and post no matter who you are or what your denomination/sectarian background, but you cannot cross the line and make personal attacks against individuals. But posters better make sure they can show from Scripture alone why they believe what they believe. If it's not completely defensible from Scripture alone, it won't stand.

If you believe you already have the truth all figured out, why be afraid to defend it from the Bible alone? Drive-by postings don't contribute much to discussion on a board that's designed for discussion.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wait, when I tried to join that site to see if it was really as bad as everyone said, I had to pick one of several different "contribution" methods.

The cheapest one was a one-time deduction of $25.
Not to my knowledge. I've referred several to there. I believe (I could be wrong:)) that anyone can sign up for free. Those who do contribute have added features they can take advantage of, but I don't think you have to pay to join.

Of course, I joined about 6 different forums that invite discussion about SDA doctrines/beliefs over a year and a half ago, so maybe I'm confused. But I have posted almost 3000 posts on CARM and have never heard of anyone having to pay to post. I'll check it out.

God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟428,307.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You do not have to pay money to join. Red tends to cut and paste a lot and doesn't stick around for much discussion. That presents a problem on a 'discussion' board.

There you can openly discuss beliefs and ask questions and post no matter who you are or what your denomination/sectarian background, but you cannot cross the line and make personal attacks against individuals. But posters better make sure they can show from Scripture alone why they believe what they believe. If it's not completely defensible from Scripture alone, it won't stand.

If you believe you already have the truth all figured out, why be afraid to defend it from the Bible alone? Drive-by postings don't contribute much to discussion on a board that's designed for discussion.

Free, dont tempt me........my body of work shows how I post and how I engage in discussion..

Not a word that you said on me is true....and I will leave it at that....

Upvote 0