• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Are all born again Christians saved?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Neostarwcc, May 8, 2018.

1. Oloyedelove

Oloyedelove New Member

+21
    Nigeria
    Pentecostal
    Single
    We are not joined to his body, we are his body. When men see us, they are literally looking at his body.
    Now I'd like to ask you a question Paul asked the Corinthian,
    1 Corinthians 6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
    What does he mean by God forbid? What did God forbid?

2. zoidar

zoidar Well-Known Member Supporter

+750
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    This sounds though like the believer's baptism ...

3. dms1972

dms1972 Well-Known Member Supporter

+584
    Non-Denom
    Single
    You say there are 'many varying opinions' on google, what makes you think these forums will be any different?

4. zoidar

+750
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    The relationship with Christ begins with repentance, that's true.

5. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Somebody's heretic Supporter

+1,395
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I was under the impression that if you are not saved you are not born again, and if you are not born again then you are not saved, so its a little like asking if water is wetter than is H2O...

6. dms1972

+584
    Non-Denom
    Single

7. Micah888

Micah888 Well-Known Member

+766
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    How did we become His Body if we were not first joined to it?
    Here is what we read: "...are we all baptized into one body..."

"Baptized into" means "immersed into". And this is further clarified and confirmed in verse 18: But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

The picture here is of each member being individually "set" or placed, or joined to the Body of Christ. It is only after that that we "are" His body.

There are many things which occur at the New Birth, and this is one of them.

8. dms1972

+584
    Non-Denom
    Single

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  9. zoidar

+750
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    Would be helpful if you also quote where in 1 Thess Paul talks about this. :wave:

10. Oloyedelove

Oloyedelove New Member

+21
    Nigeria
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Your picture of being a member of the body of Christ is not the scriptural picture. I wrote a very long reply to this and it got wiped. I don't think I can type that much again now.
    Jesus body as explained in scriptures is not like an organization or group of people coming together to form a 'body'.
    Ephesians 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
    1 Corinthians 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 10:17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

We are all partakers of that one bread.
    This is another way Apostle Paul present the picture
    Genesis 2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
    BECAUSE SHE WAS TAKEN OUT OF MAN. That's the right picture.

11. Noxot

Noxot tohu and bohu Supporter

+2,035
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    being born from above implies that you are going through the process of salvation.

John 3:3 (YLT)
    Jesus answered and said to him, `Verily, verily, I say to thee, If any one may not be born from above, he is not able to see the reign of God;'

John 17:3 (YLT)
    and this is the life age-during, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and him whom Thou didst send--Jesus Christ;

12. Sal Robinson

Sal Robinson Member Supporter

+121
    Australia
    Baptist
    Single
    People who follow Jesus day by day are saved…..people who put other things in their heart above Jesus, yeah I’ wouldn’t want to be in their position...lets just put it that way....

13. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+15,889
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Justin is defending Christians from false charges that were made against us, the Apology is a written defense of Christian belief and practice addressed to the Emperor and Senate. Here Justin refers only to adult converts to Christianity, whatever Justin thinks of baptizing infants is no where found in this passage because that isn't the point. Elsewhere Justin will also speak of Baptism as spiritual circumcision,

"And we, who have approached God through Him, have received not carnal, but spiritual circumcision, which Enoch and those like him observed. And we have received it through baptism, since we were sinners, by God's mercy; and all men may equally obtain it." - Dialogue with Trypho, ch. 43

-CryptoLutheran

14. aiki

aiki Regular Member

+2,858
    Canada
    Baptist
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    "Born again" and "saved" are synonymous.

Jesus was the first to use the phrase "born again." (John 3:3-7)

Being saved or born-again is accomplished apart from any good work. (Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5)

Good works are to be the manifestation of a spiritually-regenerated life (aka born again), they aren't the means to that life.

15. sunlover1

sunlover1 Beloved, Let us love one another

+4,173
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    If you're reborn, it means you're born again of the Spirit, and so you're a child of God now.
    So yeah, a child of the Most High God is VERY SAVED!
    WOOOT! :)
    But then we wonder, how do we know if we're reborn?

16. sunlover1

sunlover1 Beloved, Let us love one another

+4,173
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Please explain who "we'll" is.
    I'm not following this.
    Why would the trip be painful?

17. zoidar

+750
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    Ok, but first you have faith then you get baptized. You won't get baptized if you don't have faith. So faith and baptism goes together if you hold to the doctrine of believers baptism. If a person gets baptized not being a believer there won't be any new birth.

From my own view rebirth happens when coming to faith, when the Holy Spirit enters the heart.

I'm not sure what I believe about infant baptism.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  18. ViaCrucis

+15,889
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    The biblical response to this I'd offer is to remind that "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ" (Romans 10:17) and that Christ has cleansed us "by the washing of water by the word" (Ephesians 5:26). Faith is itself a gift given to us apart from ourselves (Ephesians 2:8) granted to us through the Word (Romans 10:17) and Baptism is Word (Ephesians 5:26). We can therefore say that the baptized person has faith by virtue of God's own word and promise attached to Baptism.

So baptized infants do have faith, they are believers in Jesus Christ. Faith isn't about intelligence, wisdom, or mental acuity; it is trust. Infants are capable of natural trust, as we see when the infant reaches out and latches out for his or her mother trusting implicitly in the mother's care, nurturing, and love. And if an infant can trust her mother, then an infant granted faith by God according to the promise of the Gospel most certainly can have faith in Christ who gives Himself freely.

We, as the community of the Faithful, further pledge ourselves to the baptized, whether they be infant or adult, in accordance with Christ's word to His Church, "make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit, and teaching them all which I have said." We don't wait for the children of Christian parents to reach an arbitrary age before we commit ourselves to the discipling of them, but rather rear them up in the faith in accordance with the commandments and teachings of God, as per Proverbs 22:6.

-CryptoLutheran

19. zoidar

+750
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    But you don't baptize adult unbelievers if they want to be baptized, do you? Why don't you do that since wouldn't baptism give them faith? I mean if infants are given faith in baptism.

20. ViaCrucis

+15,889
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Lutherans refer to "Word and Sacrament" as one thing; because the preaching of the word (the proclamation of the Gospel) and the Sacraments (Baptism, the Eucharist, and Absolution) aren't "different" things, they are all Word, that is, where the proclamation of the Gospel is the preached Word the Sacraments are "visible Word". Looking back to Ephesians 5:26 Paul connects water and word together in a single washing, and so we say that Baptism is Baptism (and not mere water) because it is water connected to God's Word. Mere water can do nothing, only God's Word can do something because God's word is living and active, doing what God sends it forth to accomplish (Hebrews 4:12, Isaiah 55:11).

We baptize infants with the knowledge that repentance shall come with time, as the child is reared up with faith.

We baptize adults who are penitent, for having had much of their lives already lived outside of the faith we are calling them to repentance, faith, and baptism.

Nothing is different except the order. For St. Peter says, "Repent and be baptized all of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." (Acts 2:38) and the Lord in the longer ending of Mark's Gospel says, "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." (Mark 16:16). We don't separate repentance and belief from Baptism, but comprehend them in and with Baptism.

The order isn't what matters, it's the gracious activity of God through Word and Sacrament that matters.

-CryptoLutheran

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List