Are all born again Christians saved?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟910,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This may sound like a stupid question. I apologize if it comes off as stupid I'm 100% sincere. But are all born again Christians saved? There are many varying opinions on google so I was searching for the correct interpretation.

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This may sound like a stupid question. I apologize if it comes off as stupid I'm 100% sincere. But are all born again Christians saved? There are many varying opinions on google so I was searching for the correct interpretation.

In this scenario (your question), are they following the gospel commands?

Then yes.

If they are not following the gospel commands, then no, according to scripture.

2 Thessalonians 1:8-9 Example

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. The term "born again" is used more in evangelical and fundamentalists circles. To be born again means to be born from above. This could entail an emotional conversion experience, but doesn't have to in order to be genuine.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟910,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
In this scenario (your question), are they following the gospel commands?

Then yes.

If they are not following the gospel commands, then no, according to scripture.

2 Thessalonians 1:8-9 Example

Isn't obeying the gospel believing in Jesus's death, burial, and resurrection though? 1 Corinthians 15:1-11. Or am I missing something?

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isn't obeying the gospel believing in Jesus's death, burial, and resurrection though? 1 Corinthians 15:1-11. Or am I missing something?

Yes, you are correct.

However, many people stop at, "all i need to do is believe".

Romans 6:3-4, being baptized with Christ

Galatians 3:27 "to put on Christ" on needs immersion.

The very word Baptizo in the Koine Greek means to immerse in water.

1 John 5:5-8
Acts 2:38,41,47
Mark 16:15-16
etc etc.

Also, must remain faithful unto death Rev 2:10

faith/belief is a verb, meaning action, so its a continuous thing not a one time thing.

Working for salvation is pointless Ephesians 2:8-9, however one needs to have works with faith James 2:14-26; Ephesians 2:10 (faith/belief verb)

the list goes on and on.

This is what I was getting at.

Reactions: Oloyedelove
Upvote 0

John 1720

Harvest Worker
Supporter
Jan 26, 2013
Massachusetts
✟149,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If one has truly been born again by the Holy Spirit then yes they are saved. I don't believe God believes in abortion so if we continue with Him to full term then we shall be His child from everlasting to everlasting.
  • Luke 11:13If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”
  • Titus 3:5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit
  • Romans 8:9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Why interpret ?
Instead,
What does Scripture say clearly ?
OR
What is the REAL question ?

• Agree
Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No. At least those are not equivalent as put. (I think).
The demons believe all of that you refer to, and they shudder in terror for they know that their endless destruction is at hand.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I suspect we'll all go to heaven. The trip will be more painful for some than for others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
We can be assured by the promises of God in the Gospel concerning our hope and salvation; God's promises are faithful and true. Salvation refers to God's rescue project for the world, and God's promises to us in the Gospel are that we are, indeed, being saved. Which is why we can look toward the external promises of God in Word and Sacrament to find our confidence and assurance in Christ. Yes, when we are born anew in the waters of Holy Baptism we can be certain and confident of God's promise: "All of you who were baptized into Christ have put on Christ." (Galatians 3:27) "Don't you know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life." (Romans 6:3-4) "He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit," (Titus 3:5).

Thus we can look to where God has acted and accomplished His works by which He makes us His and be confident that we belong to Him, and to trust in Him, hope in Him, to keep us both in this life and the next.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟910,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We can be assured by the promises of God in the Gospel concerning our hope and salvation; God's promises are faithful and true. Salvation refers to God's rescue project for the world, and God's promises to us in the Gospel are that we are, indeed, being saved. Which is why we can look toward the external promises of God in Word and Sacrament to find our confidence and assurance in Christ. Yes, when we are born anew in the waters of Holy Baptism we can be certain and confident of God's promise: "All of you who were baptized into Christ have put on Christ." (Galatians 3:27) "Don't you know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life." (Romans 6:3-4) "He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit," (Titus 3:5).

Thus we can look to where God has acted and accomplished His works by which He makes us His and be confident that we belong to Him, and to trust in Him, hope in Him, to keep us both in this life and the next.

-CryptoLutheran

Thanks for your reply it helped. I didn't know some of those verses existed in the bible. They're very comforting. Its really good to know that every born again person is saved.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If saved means, sins are forgiven and so the wage of sin is removed, everyone who believes it, can be saved. However, eternal life is for righteous. That is why salvation is not useful, if person doesn’t repent.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

And that is why Jesus says:

"Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more."
John 8:11

Reactions: Oloyedelove
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for your reply it helped. I didn't know some of those verses existed in the bible. They're very comforting. Its really good to know that every born again person is saved.

At a fundamental level the new birth we have received is what, in large part, it means to speak of our being saved. Our salvation means that we have been adopted as children of God, by our union with Christ and having received the Holy Spirit. Which is why Scripture says, "For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, 'Abba! Father!'" (Romans 8:15) The birth we have received from God makes us sons and daughters of God, "heirs of God, joint-heirs with Christ" (Romans 8:17). This is our sonship which we have in Christ, from God, through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit who gives us life; life now from God in Christ Jesus our Lord, and life in the age to come in the resurrection when we are raised up to everlasting life with God when God makes all things new (Romans 8:11, Philippians 3:21).

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'd say if someone is truly born again, then by definition they are saved.
Ah, the old "truly", "really", "genuinely" qualifiers by which the old man seeks to insert his own works into the basket alongside the finished work of Christ.

Please teach us, O Great HypnoToad, how one may know that he is truly born again, as opposed to plain old, run of the mill, every day born again through water with the word.

Upvote 0

HypnoToad

*croak*
Supporter
May 29, 2005
✟82,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Ah, the old "truly", "really", "genuinely" qualifiers by which the old man seeks to insert his own works into the basket alongside the finished work of Christ.

Please teach us, O Great HypnoToad, how one may know that he is truly born again, as opposed to plain old, run of the mill, every day born again through water with the word.
The only "one" who needs to know is God. I think He's capable of having that knowledge, don't you? But hey, thanks for the condescension and insult.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The only "one" who needs to know is God. I think He's capable of having that knowledge, don't you? But hey, thanks for the condescension and insult.

The point, however, is that by insinuating that there are people who only think they are born again means that we make different classes of Christians: there's a special class of Christians are "truly" born again, and there are those who aren't. And if we cannot know if we are born again, then we cannot know if we belong to God, and thus salvation inevitably is reduced to terrifying guesswork or trying to feel the right feels, think the right thoughts, or performing the right acts.

In distinction to this, however, Scripture tells us what the new birth is and where it is found, Jesus Himself tells us in John 3:5, that the new birth is to be born of "water and Spirit", which Paul echoes in Titus 3:5 when he says that not by works of righteousness which we have done, but by the "washing of regeneration, and renewal of the Holy Spirit".

All who are baptized into Christ have put on Christ. We can look to our baptism with absolute confidence that here, in these blessed waters, God has clothed us with Jesus Christ and all His righteousness, that we are born of God, anew, as a new creation, as an adopted child of God, and all other ways Scripture speaks of this truth.

We don't look to ourselves, or inside of ourselves, to find out whether or not we belong to God--because inside ourselves is only a pile of dead man's bones, the law of sin working itself through our mortal members. We can, therefore, look only outside of ourselves: to the Christ who suffered, bled, and died on the cross, who descended into death, and rose from the dead on the third day; and this Christ and His work is made ours, as pure gift, from God, through the works of God in Word and Sacrament. That it is through this Gospel of what Christ has done that God takes hold of us--sinful wretches that we are--and makes us Christ's, and if we belong to Christ, then we belong to God. And, therefore, we are children of God, heirs of God, joint-heirs with Jesus. And here we have life-giving hope, hope in this life that we belong to God, and hope for the next when we are raised up to that life everlasting in the age to come.

We must recognize the location of our salvation as outside of ourselves, in Jesus Christ and the gifts of God's grace through the Gospel by which we receive Jesus Christ and He us. For "it is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God" (Ephesians 2:8).

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0