✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
is big outrage!

Selling ethnic food is the only way to raise money in 19th century Russia or in Most Holy Most Greek Orthodox Church with Big Golden Domes!

Good thing I'm friends with Mousethief on FB as I dearly miss The Onion Dome.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Selling ethnic food is the only way to raise money in 19th century Russia or in Most Holy Most Greek Orthodox Church with Big Golden Domes!

Good thing I'm friends with Mousethief on FB as I dearly miss The Onion Dome.

ethnic foods? is no outrage. bingo? is outrage!

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We welcome different perspectives! WE just have a lot of people telling us what Christian teaching is in our own congregational forum. As long as you're not contradicting Orthodox teaching, you are welcome! (And we have a special sub-forum for people who want to express their doubts about that)
Where is the special sub forum?

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟29,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Not just an Orthodox problem. Protestantism preaches in a way that makes you think that the USA is the Kingdom of God.

Often true unfortunately. I've been having a problem lately with the presence of the US flag in church auditoriums, on a co-equal status with the Christian flag. Did the early church have the Roman standard in its gathering places? Do Christians in China have that flag in their church? The government of that US flag has not only legalized abortion that has murdered more innocent people than Hitler ever dreamed of, but gives $500M a year to Planned Parenthood, and who now encourages the perversity of deviant lifestyles.

As far as falling away from the faith, remember in the Parable of the Sower, only 25% of the seed grew up to a mature faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I truly wonder sometimes how many people have fallen away from Christianity from hearing “Jaaaaaayzus” and “Gaaaaaaawdddduh!”

Not just an Orthodox problem. Protestantism preaches in a way that makes you think that the USA is the Kingdom of God. Then they send their military out to conquer the world for Jaaaayzuz.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟555,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I truly wonder sometimes how many people have fallen away from Christianity from hearing “Jaaaaaayzus” and “Gaaaaaaawdddduh!”

I remember driving through West Virginia on the way to Kentucky on business. For some amusement, I turned on the AM band of the radio and slowly moved the dial until I found a Tennessee Windsucker bloviating.

"Ah may not have a lot of edjeeecation. Ah may not know a lot of fancy words. But I know Jaaaaaayzuz. And I just want to preach Jaaaaaayzuz."

Bless his little ole heart!

billy-sunday-preaching.jpg

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟29,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I remember driving through West Virginia on the way to Kentucky on business. For some amusement, I turned on the AM band of the radio and slowly moved the dial until I found a Tennessee Windsucker bloviating.

"Ah may not have a lot of edjeeecation. Ah may not know a lot of fancy words. But I know Jaaaaaayzuz. And I just want to preach Jaaaaaayzuz."

Bless his little ole heart!

billy-sunday-preaching.jpg

The educated of His day opposed Jesus the most.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,591.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Come on, Rus! Have you been gone so long from the IS of A that you forgot the auto parts store!? ^_^:sorry:
I remember "Wheels", Midas, and Jiffy Lube. The rest are fading into a dim haze.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,591.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's true, but ignorance is no virtue either.
Of course. The trouble in our time is pseudo-education, the kind produced in the modern schools and universities, which gives people the false impression that they are educated when in fact they are not. So they hold advanced degrees, but have no conception of genuine philosophy or theology (including the most important kind, the kind produced by prayer), they can't read GK Chesterton or Lewis or other real intellectuals of the past,they "know better" than their "backwards" ancestors, yet they consider themselves "educated". "Science" is a worship-word to them.

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟29,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Of course. The trouble in our time is pseudo-education, the kind produced in the modern schools and universities, which gives people the false impression that they are educated when in fact they are not. So they hold advanced degrees, but have no conception of genuine philosophy or theology (including the most important kind, the kind produced by prayer), they can't read GK Chesterton or Lewis or other real intellectuals of the past,they "know better" than their "backwards" ancestors, yet they consider themselves "educated". "Science" is a worship-word to them.

Yup, they are extensively educated in a false world view.

I'll add that the electorate that brought Hitler to power was the most educated in the world at the time.

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟29,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's true, but ignorance is no virtue either.

How educated was the thief on the cross? Jesus said, "Except you become as a little child......." Did children in Jesus' time even go to school? "The last shall be first......", even possibly the character in post #51.

Nothing against education per se, I have a college degree and my wife a masters, it's just overrated, and a point of worldly pride for many. You won't find metaphysical truth with degrees.

• Agree
Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟555,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How educated was the thief on the cross? Jesus said, "Except you become as a little child......." Did children in Jesus' time even go to school? "The last shall be first......", even possibly the character in post #51.

Nothing against education per se, I have a college degree and my wife a masters, it's just overrated, and a point of worldly pride for many. You won't find metaphysical truth with degrees.

The point that was made, and to which I responded with the "character in post 51" was that an awful lot of people have been driven away from Christianity by such folks. Sadly, my children are among that group, and I take full responsibility for subjecting them to the kind of preaching that tends to drive people away. Slobbering, Bible-thumping, screaming polyesther suits yelling about how mad God is at you because you didn't give the preacher his tithe least week. Warnings of the coming of the Anti-Christ and a bunch of drivel about how sinful it is to go to movies, have long hair on men and short hair on women.

Children don't respond well to that.

I have to wonder how different things might have turned out if our family had been blessed to be part of the Orthodox parish in Harrisburg. If they had heard about the God who is "the lover of mankind" instead of the angry God who is looking for every fault you have so that He can spank you. I suppose that some folks think that all that hellfire and brimstone preaching is a good way to scare people into the Kingdom.

I think you would catch more sinners with the honey of God's love as I have heard it in Orthodoxy.

Just my .02.

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The “worship words” part made me think of Omega Glory. Not sure if you get my connection

upload_2021-6-10_17-44-51.jpeg

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0