Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering how people will react to the imposition of ashes. Because you have to actually touch someone to give them the ashes.

Oh, I hadn't even thought about that yet. I think my parish will probably be okay with that, but maybe I can give them the option to do the ash themselves...?

Our Rector said folks will be given a choice of ashes on the forehead per usual, or sprinkling of ashes on the head which he says has some historical precedent.

I have never heard of the latter. Can any of you clergy shed light on that?

I have seen, not what I would describe as a sprinkling of ashes on the head, but of some ashes being put on top of the head (in the hair) rather than on the forehead. This particularly associated with the idea of not making a show of one's observance; the ash kind of gets camouflaged in the hair. (Don't ask me about bald folks, I don't know how that works for them).

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,327.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
upload_2021-2-16_15-19-15.png

• Haha
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I have been fortunate to grow up and currently reside in places where fish sandwiches were a local specialty. I went down to my favorite fish market a while back with the intention of buying fish to take home. But they had changed the traffic pattern in the place. One side is retail and the other is a restaurant. They now had all incoming business entering through the restaurant side. My kids had never realized this wonderful fish market had a restaurant in it too. They begged me to eat in there and since it was getting late and the retail line was long, I acquiesced. I ordered the fish special of the day on a sandwich. They brought me out a roll suitable for a full-sized Philly Cheesesteak on which they had plopped 2 whole beautifully fried fresh fish.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I must confess to not liking fish. if I were to give up meat for Lent (which I don't tend to do for reasons of being the only person in my household to observe a Lenten fast), I would probably go completely vegetarian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone! How we doing in lockdown? I'm hoping we can have a service for Easter :) Hope you're all well xxx

Hello Alexier. My church has been having in-person services again under attendance, masked, and physcally distanced limitations. I just learned we made the decision to go back to virtual services for Easter due to concern we won't able to accommodate the crowds drawn to Easter services while maintaining safety. That decision gives one much to think about. :scratch:

Upvote 0

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟408,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello Alexier. My church has been having in-person services again under attendance, masked, and physcally distanced limitations. I just learned we made the decision to go back to virtual services for Easter due to concern we won't able to accommodate the crowds drawn to Easter services while maintaining safety. That decision gives one much to think about. :scratch:

That does seem like a head-scratching decision. Of course more people will turn out for Easter, but we are simply requiring reservations in advance.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone! How we doing in lockdown? I'm hoping we can have a service for Easter :) Hope you're all well xxx

Fortunately we are out of lockdown here, although also with various limitations on numbers, distancing, singing and so on. I'm very nervous about Easter; last year we got to this point and then went into the first lockdown. It feels impossible to plan with any certainty. We have decided not to do the ecumenical stations of the cross on Good Friday, because that draws lots of people and visited a number of local churches and was looking all too hard this year.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,327.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Welcome. We are also removed from lockdown, however the rules are now such that we can follow the 2 square meter rule and not allow singing, or the 4 square meter rule and permit restrained singing with masks on. In our building that means a choice between 36 and 24 people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...I just learned we made the decision to go back to virtual services for Easter due to concern we won't able to accommodate the crowds drawn to Easter services...
That does seem like a head-scratching decision. Of course more people will turn out for Easter, but we are simply requiring reservations in advance.

We had already added two additional Sunday services for a total of 4 with attendance by reservation. We didn't see how we could accomodate the Easter swell so decided to be virtual-only so as not to have to turn people away.

It does give one pause to think about worshippers who turn out for Christmas & Easter, but are rarely seen otherwise.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Loved it when we worshipped at the park before it got too cold here nearing winter. Can’t wait to see if they start that again although it would probably still be too cold by Easter.

Upvote 0

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟408,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We had already added two additional Sunday services for a total of 4 with attendance by reservation. We didn't see how we could accomodate the Easter swell so decided to be virtual-only so as not to have to turn people away.

Ah, I see. Yes...that would cause some issues to think through. It would be hard to decide who is allowed to come. First-come, first-serve via registration may not be fair to those who aren't tech-savvy or who are more occasional visitors. I imagine there could also be some amount of pressure to keep adding services until everyone is accommodated, but that certainly isn't fair to the clergy, staff, and worship leaders. I'm lucky in that we are a fairly small church (like ASA of 100) and only about half my congregation is comfortable returning in-person right now, so two or three services on Easter Morning should seat everyone who wants to come.

It does give one pause to think about worshippers who turn out for Christmas & Easter, but are rarely seen otherwise.

Indeed. I must say my thoughts have evolved over my ministry career. In the beginning, I wondered what we could do in order to make them want to attend more often. Now I'm just glad to see them twice a year!

Upvote 0