Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It'd be nice to just chat about life, the universe, day-to-day life of faith with like-minded folk... doesn't feel right to gate crash someone else's chat thread.

Anyone?

As a light and fluffy starter topic, we could talk about pews. My parish council are busy arguing over whether to buy new ones or not. (I'm so hoping we do!) So what do you like in a pew? Or do you prefer a chair? Or do you even care?

CanadianAnglican

Evangelical charismatic Anglican Catholic
May 20, 2014
Visit site
✟9,623.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Just going to quote from the Parsons Handbook here...

"Pews are by no means a Protestant invention, and in some ways they are better than chairs. They should, however, always be low (not more than 2 feet 8 inches high), and the alleys both in aisles and nave should be much wider than usual. There are a good many old churches in England which show the mediaeval arrangement of low pews."

Pews ought not to be padded (it ruins the acoustics of the nave) but pillows/cushions should be made available for those who might require them. Pews should include kneelers and be spaced appropriately to allow for their use.

• Agree
Reactions: kakieanne
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wonder whether padding on the pews ceases to be an acoustic issue, once you've already succumbed to carpeting the nave...

The main reason I'm keen to have new pews is that we would be replacing very long, heavy pews with shorter, lighter ones; making it more possible to arrange them differently and create some flexibility in the liturgical space.

The parishioners are keen on padding. I don't care about the padding so much, but then, I don't sit in them!

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
My mentor's parish was a poor mission. They built their own pews. They are unpadded and a little rough in the carpentry, but squared and serviceable. They are 'white-washed' as folks use to call it. They'll seat four or five comfortably, and maybe six if the service books are moved. The perimeter of the sanctuary is still lined with chairs from the early days of the parish.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
10857890_823208171071682_810075603074073331_n.jpg

St. Timothy's, Poquoson, Virginia.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I actually rather like this church, which as an historical mock-up of the Anglican church at the old Jamestowne Settlement, in Virginia.

12VA-324.jpg

Last I knew (two years ago) they still had weekly service presided by a visiting TEC priest. I'm not sure if it was Communion or Morning Prayer. Perhaps, one day, I can preside.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Love the little boy grinning in the pulpit!

I work across two parishes; this is the one "next door," where I spend most of my time:

The rood screen was hand carved by a daughter of the family who gave the land on which the church is built. Some of her work is very well known, displayed in the National Gallery and so on.

I don't have a good photo of the interior of the other... really should ask them to put a gallery on their website!

Attachments

• St Agnes.jpg
    St Agnes.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I attend the oldest Episcopal church in my city (really old!), & we have pews. They are wooden, with cushions available for those who need them. The church building hosts most of the services, but there is also one service that meets in the hall, with moveable chairs rather than pews.

I've encountered recent debate on the value of pews. I have mixed feelings about them myself. I think if pews are part of the history or integrity of a particular church, it would be a shame to remove them.Plus, I like the kneeler option. But, in a "newer" church, there are benefits to using chairs (or even minimal seating) - such as being able to arrange the seating in a different way, comfort, less restriction to movement (unless of course there are many chairs packed together).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wonder whether padding on the pews ceases to be an acoustic issue, once you've already succumbed to carpeting the nave...

The main reason I'm keen to have new pews is that we would be replacing very long, heavy pews with shorter, lighter ones; making it more possible to arrange them differently and create some flexibility in the liturgical space.

The parishioners are keen on padding. I don't care about the padding so much, but then, I don't sit in them!
Right. For their sakes, I wouldn't be too quick to refuse the padding, but the idea of shorter pews sounds good.

Chairs--even fairly comfortable ones--just never seem as "comfortable" as pews to me, and I don't mean comfortable only in terms of relaxation. Most of the time, chairs seem awkward and limiting somehow, and they often make the matter of how to handle kneelers a problem on its own. All of that may just be something I feel and no one else does, however.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I prefer pews over chairs because I think there's something valuable about shared seating. Even if it's only two or three people to a pew, it changes the seating arrangement from "mine" to "ours" and helps shift people away from individualism. (At least, that's my theory).

But there are pews and pews...

• Agree
Reactions: kakieanne
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I prefer pews over chairs because I think there's something valuable about shared seating. Even if it's only two or three people to a pew, it changes the seating arrangement from "mine" to "ours" and helps shift people away from individualism. (At least, that's my theory).
I didn't say it before, but I think that's right. And it works in a practical way, too. For example, one week that pew may seat five people but the next week it accommodates a family of six. Not so with chairs.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Just going to quote from the Parsons Handbook here...

"Pews are by no means a Protestant invention, and in some ways they are better than chairs. They should, however, always be low (not more than 2 feet 8 inches high), and the alleys both in aisles and nave should be much wider than usual. There are a good many old churches in England which show the mediaeval arrangement of low pews."

Pews ought not to be padded (it ruins the acoustics of the nave) but pillows/cushions should be made available for those who might require them. Pews should include kneelers and be spaced appropriately to allow for their use.

I attend a historic parish, an old one by American standards (200+ years) although the actual building is newer. It is designed in a neo-gothic style. The oldest stained glass is from the original building I believe and also over 200 years old and still looks brand new to me. After a hurricane blew through there was a palpable sigh of relief they were not damaged as they are irreplacable and handmade. (Is that true of all stained glass?) We were most worried about the huge Marian window with Jesus over the altar because of its position relative to the wind and debree. When the days are shorter the sun is still rising at the early service and beams of sunlight bathe the altar, an especially poignant moment when I first saw this occur during the consecration at an ad orientem 1928 service.

We do have carpeting, but the pews are low and wooden, not padded, very beautiful dark wood and kneelers. To me they are extremely comfortable and relaxing physically, symbolically, and aesthetically. I've never heard older members complain about comfort, but perhaps our elderly people are less wont to complain. I saw a recently deceased woman in our parish a couple of years before she died arrive early for a Holy Week service. She came in on a walker, then proceeded to kneel for over half an hour. She always cracked me up. At a labrynth walk hosted by a church friend she sat watching, then turned to me and said, "The beach is as good as that thing!" No one ever seemed offended; I always found her amusingly honest. I guess she wanted to be polite so she adds in the guest book, "A very spiritual experience!" She looked bored out of her mind to me, ha!

As to padded pews, I guess they are all different, but I visited a church with some and they were terribly uncomfortable. I moved to rest on the arm as I am accustomed and nearly fell on the floor because there wasn't one and the clergy person was laughing! So embarrassing. The kneelers were unattached too and so hard after about thirty seconds my legs were shaking. The kneelers at my parish are padded, so I guess we conceded on that, but so much less awkward to use when attached.

I never gave much thought to padded pews, but I am happy with what we have. I wouldn't be adverse to providing cushions for our elderly. I would especially dislike chairs - as commented above I find them less practical in terms of seating, less comfortable, more restrictive. And they just don't have the same associations for me as pews. I have perhaps seen only one church without them. Seems secular and looks like a theatre to me with a stage upfront. It wasn't a liturgical church, but definitely not my thing.

If the Eucharist or Office is being held in an unusual area for special circumstances as was the case when I visited the Rocky Mountains in Colorado I am not so uncomfortable with chairs or a less "churchy" look. We made do with what we had, and I didn't give the chairs any thought.

Upvote 0

CanadianAnglican

May 20, 2014
Visit site
✟9,623.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

Good point about a carpeted nave! I suppose it might depend on the size of the space, the thickness of the carpet and underflooring (that will affect how it absorbs sound) and thus whether or not you might see a huge difference with padded pews versus plain pews.

You guys have posted some lovely pictures of your parishes! My current home parish (until the end of August) is a garish monstrosity of the 1970s. The parish I am being sent to was purchased from the Roman Catholics and again represents something of the 1970s post-Vatican II architectural excesses. Alas, I wish I could go back to St Barnabas or St Barts in Ottawa!

Upvote 0

Feuerbach

Continuing Anglican
Sep 14, 2015
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Visit site
✟8,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The little mission where I attend is only 1+ years old... meaning we use folding chairs! I have to say they are padded and comfortable and all, but very few of us are able to kneel since we do not have cushions and the only thing under the carpet is concrete.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's so rare to see people kneeling today anyway. I make a point of kneeling when I'm leading services because I don't want that to be lost as a "normal" posture for prayer, but I don't think anyone in my congregation does.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Very rare here. Even when I worked at the Cathedral, you'd often see a full Cathedral with only one or two people in the congregation who would kneel.

I think it's a cultural thing; I notice, for example, that Anglicans from Sri Lanka and Burma and so on tend to kneel a lot more. Maybe kneeling is more normal in their culture in general?

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

CanadianAnglican

May 20, 2014
Visit site
✟9,623.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I would say maybe 50% of the people kneel at the BCP service at my old parish, no one knelt at the BAS service, except Lent 1 when people were particularly invited to kneel. Contrast that with an Anglo-Catholic parish I visited recently where pretty much everyone knelt, bowed and genuflected. I think it's more the culture of the parish. I know a Fijian priest who mentioned that most of the South Asian anglicans tend to be rather high church, so it's probably just a part of their liturgical culture there.

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It'd be nice to just chat about life, the universe, day-to-day life of faith with like-minded folk... doesn't feel right to gate crash someone else's chat thread.

Anyone?

As a light and fluffy starter topic, we could talk about pews. My parish council are busy arguing over whether to buy new ones or not. (I'm so hoping we do!) So what do you like in a pew? Or do you prefer a chair? Or do you even care?
I don't like chairs in a church.

I got married in a British church that had chairs instead of pews, and it just looked weird to me. That's just a cultural bias though. If I'd been raised on chairs, I'm sure it would have been fine.

One nice thing about chairs is that they're adaptable and you can move them around if need be. These had vinyl upholstery though, so I can't image that's very durable.

Upvote 0