Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, anyone going? Either my hubby alone or all of us will be going, depending on when my doula client goes into labor.

Macarius, can you refer me to a hotel nearby that has suites (bedroom with 2 beds plus a living room with a sofa bed)?

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There's a Hampton Inn and Suites that my parents have stayed at a couple of times while visiting. It isn't cheap, but its in a nice area and a relatively short drive (15-20 minutes) from the seminary. There's a Ramada that's a bit closer, but I don't know if its any good.

There isn't really anything right by the seminary; the area is too residential.

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
what is the topic this year (Ed Day is always awesome, I wish I could go)?

CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien. We have several lecturers coming to Ed Day who interpret those authors in the light of Orthodoxy; should be interesting.

That, and lots of tasty food along with liturgy in the morning and, I think, at least one or two other services during the day (I think there's a Molieban and Vespers).

There are also some exhibits being set up along the theme, as well as a display of icons of saints from the British Isles. The bookstore will also be open and selling - if you can convince an SVS student to buy something for you, we get a nice fat discount on SVS stuff.

Actually, we've several times (we students) thought we should do a book exchange with STS students. We each get such nice discounts, why not share ;)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien. We have several lecturers coming to Ed Day who interpret those authors in the light of Orthodoxy; should be interesting.

That, and lots of tasty food along with liturgy in the morning and, I think, at least one or two other services during the day (I think there's a Molieban and Vespers).

There are also some exhibits being set up along the theme, as well as a display of icons of saints from the British Isles. The bookstore will also be open and selling - if you can convince an SVS student to buy something for you, we get a nice fat discount on SVS stuff.

Actually, we've several times (we students) thought we should do a book exchange with STS students. We each get such nice discounts, why not share ;)

oh I do remember reading about that, sounds like it would be amazing. and the book exchange is also a great idea methinks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ha, book exchange sounds very smart. Actually why don't they just make it that any OCA seminarian gets a discount at any OCA seminary bookstore? Seems like common sense to me. We're going to have a youth contingency coming from our OYA and local OCF too. I'm actually interested in the Hunger Games lecture. Maybe I will send hubby with some voice recorders if my client hasn't had her baby by then.

Upvote 0