• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Long term disabled. Has anyone faced how to live when caretakers die & housing disappears?

deborahjoy429

Mar 20, 2023
Mid-Atlantic
✟11,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I am in my mid 40s and not in the position of having a tight knit family. I'm currently housebound/bedridden and living with my parents who are extremely elderly. I became ill suddenly on a mission trip as a minor.

I do NOT have siblings who are compassionate, believe in following medical science rather than pushing the body in unhealthy ways in "faith," and in housing situations that would be suited to my particular needs. My SSDI barely covers my out of pocket medical expenses and food--not housing, property taxes, or utilities. Yet I'm ineligible for more helps.

I've been advised that it is extremely crucial to have my parents purchase some sort of small real estate for me in a trust or something like that. It's one of the few things I can legally own without it effecting my eligibility for the program that pays the premium for basic medical insurance.

But I'm still just not seeing how to pull this off, especially if I'm going to be within a couple of hours of ANY family member, as my family members who don't live overseas live in extremely pricey areas of the east coast. Property taxes are HIGH. Suitable housing for my needs (first floor living and laundry only, no carpeting, quiet bc of both my long hours in bed and nervous system issues, etc.) but still small is rare and usually involves steep HOAs (and is usually 55+ to boot!).

Has anyone else faced this? Even though I've connected w disabled folks online, including those w my illness, there was only one person within a couple of hours of me. And she did not succumb to the illness until after she'd had enough years in a successful corporate job as to go 50/50 w a relative on building a new home. She had both savings and insurance from her job in addition to SSDI. My only resources are SSDI. I certainly don't know anyone to go in on housing with. And although I did have some years where I could get out to church while I was living in a different part of the country, I literally don't know anyone in the state I'm now (a state whose border edge is close-ish to some of my siblings) other than medical providers or persons who've been hired at times to assist me.

There is also that matter that I really do need regular help with a variety of things and don't know how to predict the future on the front, as I've gotten weaker trying to do to many things without sufficient understanding support.

Has anyone else sorted these things out?

Has anyone perhaps been in a situation where you were trying to rent out part of your residence perhaps as to cover costs--but a residence that's not on the rental market specifically?

HarleyER

Jan 4, 2024
Toano
✟17,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am in my mid 40s and not in the position of having a tight knit family. I'm currently housebound/bedridden and living with my parents who are extremely elderly. I became ill suddenly on a mission trip as a minor.

I do NOT have siblings who are compassionate, believe in following medical science rather than pushing the body in unhealthy ways in "faith," and in housing situations that would be suited to my particular needs. My SSDI barely covers my out of pocket medical expenses and food--not housing, property taxes, or utilities. Yet I'm ineligible for more helps.

I've been advised that it is extremely crucial to have my parents purchase some sort of small real estate for me in a trust or something like that. It's one of the few things I can legally own without it effecting my eligibility for the program that pays the premium for basic medical insurance.

But I'm still just not seeing how to pull this off, especially if I'm going to be within a couple of hours of ANY family member, as my family members who don't live overseas live in extremely pricey areas of the east coast. Property taxes are HIGH. Suitable housing for my needs (first floor living and laundry only, no carpeting, quiet bc of both my long hours in bed and nervous system issues, etc.) but still small is rare and usually involves steep HOAs (and is usually 55+ to boot!).

Has anyone else faced this? Even though I've connected w disabled folks online, including those w my illness, there was only one person within a couple of hours of me. And she did not succumb to the illness until after she'd had enough years in a successful corporate job as to go 50/50 w a relative on building a new home. She had both savings and insurance from her job in addition to SSDI. My only resources are SSDI. I certainly don't know anyone to go in on housing with. And although I did have some years where I could get out to church while I was living in a different part of the country, I literally don't know anyone in the state I'm now (a state whose border edge is close-ish to some of my siblings) other than medical providers or persons who've been hired at times to assist me.

There is also that matter that I really do need regular help with a variety of things and don't know how to predict the future on the front, as I've gotten weaker trying to do to many things without sufficient understanding support.

Has anyone else sorted these things out?

Has anyone perhaps been in a situation where you were trying to rent out part of your residence perhaps as to cover costs--but a residence that's not on the rental market specifically?
Hi Deborah

Without understanding some of your personal and private situation, if your parents are willing to help, I would seek the advice of a financial planning lawyer immediately. A good attorney knows the nuiances of the law, how to protect and grow your assets, and any government assistance programs that might be available. They are not cheap (we paid $3000 for ours). But I just listened to a pastor who wife has a degenerating disease which required a nursing home. He said he spent the money to find a good FP lawyer who was familiar with the law. Doing so, he was able to get his wife into a nursing home at minimum cost to him.

Your case might not be as severe and the situation sounds different. But I think a good FP lawyer might steer you in the right direction. It be worth calling around and seeing if they can help. Sometimes the initial consultation is free.

Upvote 0

deborahjoy429

Mar 20, 2023
Mid-Atlantic
✟11,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Hi Deborah

Without understanding some of your personal and private situation, if your parents are willing to help, I would seek the advice of a financial planning lawyer immediately. A good attorney knows the nuiances of the law, how to protect and grow your assets, and any government assistance programs that might be available. They are not cheap (we paid $3000 for ours). But I just listened to a pastor who wife has a degenerating disease which required a nursing home. He said he spent the money to find a good FP lawyer who was familiar with the law. Doing so, he was able to get his wife into a nursing home at minimum cost to him.

Your case might not be as severe and the situation sounds different. But I think a good FP lawyer might steer you in the right direction. It be worth calling around and seeing if they can help. Sometimes the initial consultation is free.
Thank you very much! Yes, a lawyer will soon be involved, but I need to come up w possible courses of action first and am at a complete loss the more I learn about the laws. I’m unable to have the conversations of be present for the appointments.

Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Don't really have any useful advice to add - kinda in a similar boat with uncertain future financially and care support. Just wanted to let you know that I prayed fervently that God would make His path clear for you. If you are like me, He has a pretty good track record of providing for all my needs. He is Jehovah Jireh!

Upvote 0

deborahjoy429

Mar 20, 2023
Mid-Atlantic
✟11,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Don't really have any useful advice to add - kinda in a similar boat with uncertain future financially and care support. Just wanted to let you know that I prayed fervently that God would make His path clear for you. If you are like me, He has a pretty good track record of providing for all my needs. He is Jehovah Jireh!
Thank you, Joseph!

Upvote 0