Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm an avid knitter but I've had to cut back on my knitting due to a wrist injury. My OT taught me to crochet as part of my therapy - it uses a different motion, so now I switch off between knitting and crocheting. I love hand knit socks and learned the magic loop techinique so I can make two at a time. It's a good way to avoid "second sock syndrome." I would love to learn the technique of knitting one sock inside the other - it's described in a Tolstoy novel and supposed to be amazing.

Sorry to hear about your wrist injury, yankeefan. Will it get better? I had problems with my wrist about 20 years ago and had to give up knitting for about 10 years. Nobody suggested crochet as an alternative, but it sounds like a good idea.

Have you Googled knitting one sock inside another? There seem to be Youtube clips of the technique.

Gillian

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
They are a mix between gloves and mittens.

I finished the hat but it's not cold enough to wear it.

Now I started a lace scarf in mohair. I really enjoy knitting it.

Oic. Did you get a chance to wear your hat? Glad you enjoy(ed?) knitting the mohair scarf.

Any pictures?

Gillian

Upvote 0

Javanwarbler

God doesn't ever stop loving us thank God!
Sep 1, 2010
Western US
✟8,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I love knitting, but don't get doing it as much as I would like. My current project is a cowl in fuzzy yarn for my daughter. Does anyone else here enjoy knitting?

Gillian

I love to knit! I'm working on some socks for a friend right now

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone have any beginner patterns? I'm at the point where I can knit squares and scarves, but I'd like to try something a bit more advanced.

Are there any free patterns out there that you would recommend for someone of a beginner level?

About.com knitting is another good place to go. They even have a forum where you can discuss all things knitty.

Gillian

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ah, I put it aside when I packed for moving and haven't found the box I put it in yet. I'm debating if I will pull it out and start over. Somehow I managed to increase by several stitches and I'm about halfway done?

It's just a looonnnngggg series of x-number of knit stitches. I actually forgot how many; I'll have to go back and count. For some reason 11 and 23 are in my mind - I think it's supposed to be 23 knit stitches wide. But I think (if that's the case) I'm now at 27 stitches. :D

Oops! Did you get it sorted yet? If not, if you just Google 'Unintentional Extra Stitches on Knitting' or 'Mystery Extra Stitches' or something like that, you'll be directed to the right place for help. I know it can take a while to get everything into a permanent dwelling place after a move.

Hope it doesn't stress you out too much!

Gillian

Upvote 0

Sailor Kenshin

More coffee!
May 14, 2012
Visit site
✟7,718.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Well...I concluded that while I find the concept of plarn intriguing, I actually hate making it.

I'll stop with that I have now, but I moved on to doing bags with cotton and such, like these:

Bags-610w.jpg

14040406736_c45fc31c97_z.jpg

I'm just completing my first knitted bag but I got impatient and crocheted the handles.

:D

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oops! Did you get it sorted yet? If not, if you just Google 'Unintentional Extra Stitches on Knitting' or 'Mystery Extra Stitches' or something like that, you'll be directed to the right place for help. I know it can take a while to get everything into a permanent dwelling place after a move.

Hope it doesn't stress you out too much!

Gillian

Thanks for the google tip. :)

I am despairing of ever getting everything unpacked. This house is about half the size of the one I moved from. Maybe when my daughter moves out and I get her bedroom?

But I'm working on it. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I love to knit! I'm working on some socks for a friend right now
How are the socks coming along? Can you send a picture?

I have only knit socks once - as a teenager for a Girl Guide badge - and one was smaller than the other. My daughter gave me a sock knitting kit for Christmas a few years ago and all I've done with it is to wind up the skeins of yarn into balls.

Gillian

Upvote 0

Rebecca Sue

A child of the King
Mar 7, 2013
Texas
✟28,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've been working on a king size granny square blanket for awhile. :doh: There's an eight petal flower in the middle of each square. It's going to be pretty when it's finished but it's taking so long I may change it to a queen size. ^_^

Post pics of a square if you are able. I love granny squares, especially with flowers! Awesome:cool:
I too would find king size daunting, that is a large project!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well...I concluded that while I find the concept of plarn intriguing, I actually hate making it.

I'll stop with that I have now, but I moved on to doing bags with cotton and such, like these:

Bags-610w.jpg

14040406736_c45fc31c97_z.jpg

I'm just completing my first knitted bag but I got impatient and crocheted the handles.

:D

Well done you! Looking forward to a picture!

Gillian

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I knit...just blankets really. But I haven't picked up my knitting needles in a long time. I started to work on a baby blanket for my niece before she was born. Then I got into grad school and ran out of time for knitting...and now my niece is just over two years old. I'm thinking of making 2 similar size blankets and then binding them together, hopefully before her 3rd birthday!

Upvote 0

Rebecca Sue

A child of the King
Mar 7, 2013
Texas
✟28,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I knit...just blankets really. But I haven't picked up my knitting needles in a long time. I started to work on a baby blanket for my niece before she was born. Then I got into grad school and ran out of time for knitting...and now my niece is just over two years old. I'm thinking of making 2 similar size blankets and then binding them together, hopefully before her 3rd birthday!

I would love to see pics! I know it is hard to find time for knitting and such. I hope to learn how to take pics with my phone and post them here soon. And last but certainly not least, welcome back to CF! So pleased to have you join us again.:)

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the google tip. :)

I am despairing of ever getting everything unpacked. This house is about half the size of the one I moved from. Maybe when my daughter moves out and I get her bedroom?

But I'm working on it. :)

Maybe you could store your yarn in there?

Gillian

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you could store your yarn in there?

Gillian

Actually I'm into lots of things. I'd like to use it to keep all my crafting stuff and books, and some of the things I made that really don't "go" in the house. Completely different world in there. If I ever get it.

My husband is in the process of moving my yarn into the attic. Not sure how I feel about that. But it's dry up there, and just about all my yarn is sealed in plastic, then packed in boxes.

Really though, I need to find new ways to use it, or else an outlet to sell it or give it away. I used to specialize in "fibers" of many types, so they tend to be more unusual yarns, so more suitable for crafting than knitting. And in too small of quantities, most of them, for major knitting projects.

I'm thinking of getting into some more "fiber arts" ... I've seen really cool things done on large canvases. Though .... what I'd do with them when completed, I have no idea, LOL.

Upvote 0