• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Any family members??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, i can't believe it but now i am concerned about a possible schizophrenic episode with my 16 yr old son. Long story short, he jumped in my friends jeep and took off saturday night (he has no license). After an hour we found him parked behind our garage. He was refusing to get out of the jeep or open the windows. He was talking all weird and saying things that didnt make sense and screaming. His father realized finally that the back hatch was open and jumped through, struggling with my son to get the keys and finally did. When his father tried to drive the jeep to the front of the house my son took a brick and threw it at the windshield and cracked it. Then my son ran into the kitchen got a big butcher knife and started running through the house screaming "that man is trying to steal the jeep and i just threw a brick at him! I am going to kill him". He ran outside yelling to his father. "i am gonna kill you, i am gonna chop you up in 30 pieces". I called 911 and locked my door. The police came. My son was yelling all kinds of crazy stuff like that his dad was a crack addict (totally untrue). The police requested a psych eval on him. The ER gave him a drug test to see if he was on drugs. no drugs were found in his system so they ended up admitting him into the pediatric psych ward for evaluation. The Pychiatrist told me earlie today that my son is bipolar and put him on depakote. When i went to visit my son kept saying he was in a crack house, they were trying to give him ecstasy, the shots had opium in them, the food was laced with drugs. He said the food and water smelt funny. He was saying all kinds of untrue things ..he thought the jeep was his, that "that guy" was stealing it and was gonna kill him. The coundselor told me he was having hallucinations. He also said he kept talking to himself. Tonight they had to give him and anti-psychotic. When i went up there he was yelling to the counselor "Shes taking drugs, you have to drug test her". When my brother went up he asked "did they drug test you yet". He keeps talking about all different kinds of drugs and is convinced he is in a "crack house". I am not sure if these are normal for bipolar or if my son is having a schizphrenic episode of some kind. I am just heartbroken and upset and confused right now.

Upvote 0

Nan1

Senior Veteran
Aug 9, 2005
Washington
✟3,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Karenmarie...my thoughts and prayers are with you right now. If you ever need to talk, PLEASE PM me. I know this scenario all too well. You feel utterly helpless. It's a very trying time spiritually. My son went into Children's Hospital for almost a month for similiar episodes your son experienced. He's too young to diagnose (they want to wait until after puberty) but he has a lot of pediatric schizophrenic tendencies. Here's a site that might give you a bit of insight of the situation.

http://www.nascos.org/Home/

Take care, Karen. God bless you. :hug:

Love,
Nan

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My son's diagnosis is now bipolar with psychosis. His anti-psychotic drugs are working and have gotten rid of alot of the hallucinations. He is still very delusional about what happened on Saturday night though. Right now he hates me and thinks i am a crack addict and that i am lying to the police, the doctors etc. He doesnt know there is anything wrong with him. Its so hard. I am trying my best to trust in God and lean on him.

Upvote 0

Nan1

Senior Veteran
Aug 9, 2005
Washington
✟3,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Father God I lift up Karenmarie and her family to you right now. She feels the weight of her son's world on her shoulders right now. Father please comfort her and her husband. Give them clarity, wisdom, and direction. Lord they need help! You word says that when your children cry out that you will deliver them from their troubles. Lord we cry out for you. HELP! Bring peace where there is division and confusion. In the name of Jesus we stand with our friend and sister Karenmarie and pray for divine healing, divine revelation...I thank you Lord for all that you are doing in this situation. I know you haven't forsakened us, but that you are in the midst of our trials and dark times. Thank you Lord for hearing us. Thank you Lord for reaching out and touching us. Thank you Lord for showing us your love and mercy. In Jesus' name these things I pray. Amen.

Upvote 0

Hisbygrace

Carried On The Wings Of An Eagle
Sep 22, 2004
California
✟158,418.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Democrat
My 35 years old son was finally diagnosed five years ago with bipolar diease and schizophenic tendency. Up until then our lives were like a roller coaster with his ups and downs. Although he is prescibed meds he will not stay on them and relapses. He has tried many times to fight his father and brother. Christmas three years ago he tried to stab his older brother and would have had I not pushed him away. We have had to call the police to come get him on several occasions( a very hard thing for a parent to do). I finally realized two years ago that I could not help him and gave him to the Lord. I have found peace in that. I believe that mental disease is hereditary because so many people in my family have one form or another. My heart goes out to each and everyone of you because mental illness effects everyone in the home. may God bring each of you peace and comfort in your personal situations. Love, Janice

Upvote 0

Wildwood

Jun 11, 2005
✟1,023.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Hisbygrace said:
My 35 years old son was finally diagnosed five years ago with bipolar diease and schizophenic tendency. Up until then our lives were like a roller coaster with his ups and downs. Although he is prescibed meds he will not stay on them and relapses. He has tried many times to fight his father and brother. Christmas three years ago he tried to stab his older brother and would have had I not pushed him away. We have had to call the police to come get him on several occasions( a very hard thing for a parent to do). I finally realized two years ago that I could not help him and gave him to the Lord. I have found peace in that. I believe that mental disease is hereditary because so many people in my family have one form or another. My heart goes out to each and everyone of you because mental illness effects everyone in the home. may God bring each of you peace and comfort in your personal situations. Love, Janice

Bless you, Janice.

Upvote 0

VeronicasImage

Feb 10, 2005
Vermont,USA
✟1,810.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One of my 3 sons has the Schizophrenia diagnosis and he is doing well despite the last 2 years of being in and out of the psychiatric clinics.I do worry about the other 2 but right now I don't think I want to look down the road on that yet.Have a pleasant evening everyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just an update on my son. His dx is now Schizo-Affective disorder. They say it means he has both a thought disorder (schizoprenia) and a mood disorder (bipolar). They have had to change his meds a few times now trying to get it right. Right now he is on 1250mg of depakote daily (mood stabilizer) and 40mg twice daily of Geodon (anti-psychotic) and 100mg daily of Seroquel (anti-psychotic). This just seems like so much medicine to me. They had him on 20mg daily of zyprexa for a month but didnt want to keep it on it long term because he gained 30 lbs in 2 mos. Also it made him sleep 12-14 hours a day. So they switched him to the Geodon, but it started causing anxiety and him not being able to fall asleep. So they added in the seroquel so he could sleep better. sigh...anybody know more about dosage of meds?

Upvote 0

BohemianChris

Mar 21, 2005
Deep Space
✟7,937.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That's not a lot of medicine. My current rx's is as follows: Abilify 30mg, Perphenazine 24mg TID, Zyprexa 30mg, Thorazine 200mg, Depakote ER 1000mg, Topamax 50mg BID, Ativan 2mg BID, Klonopin 2mg TID, Ambien CR 12.5mg, Imitrex shot, Dilaudid 4mg PRN

Best,
Chris

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.