• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Any family members??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildwood

Jun 11, 2005
✟1,023.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Hi! You're not alone. I have a brother who suffers. We used to think it was schizophrenia, but now I think it is a type of obsessive, paranoid personality disorder. Our family would never admit that he needed help, and I can't persuade him. I think that is one of the hardest things--being made to feel that you have to hide the problem. After 30 years of prayer, I can see God is working in his life now, for which I am so thankful. Praise God!

There are so many emotions--worry, grief, anger, and shame just to name a few--that people with "perfect" families can't understand. I don't really know what it was like for you growing up, but I understand a little. A few days ago I posted a suggestion for a new forum for families who have relatives suffering from a mental illness. I'll paste the link if you would like to reply to it. You're welcome to PM me.

http://www.christianforums.com/t1906596-forum-for-children-siblings-of-persons-suffering-from-a-mental-illness.html

Upvote 0

Surrender2Win

Look to the LORD and His strength...
Mar 20, 2005
✟0.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are a lot of emotions for sure! One emotion that I could add to that is fear. It may not be everyone's experience but in my family, my mother...for me, I was scared of her. I'm still scared of her. I do think that she had issues of her own growing up, but I really don't know a whole lot about her. She was angry, and I know that she had anger even before her diagnosis. She was mean, abusive...and unpredictable.

There is not much that I could share about growing up, as I don't really remember a whole lot. What I do remember of her is connected with lots of fear...

I don't talk to her now, I haven't talked to her in years. Since I've become a mother though, I do have a lot more compassion for her. I have more compassion for her as someone who is suffering with a mental illness, and I understand that if she were in her right mind, then perhaps she would have realized that medication would have helped. I even forgive her...it does not mean though that I'm not effected by her, it doesn't mean that when I hear about her or come in contact with her...that I don't feel scared. Is not so easy talking about this...

Upvote 0

Surrender2Win

Mar 20, 2005
✟0.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shannonkish said:
I personally have not had any family members with this diease.

I would love to hear you experiences as a child of someone with this disorder.

Shannon,

I really appreciate that you want to learn more about my experiences with this as a child, however...this issue is not easy and it's hard to talk about. I have read some of your posts and it seems that you feel the need to add input to the threads you have chosen, because you feel having a masters degree in psychology entitles you to that. I feel it makes it harder for people to share openly about their experiences because you have a masters degree in psychology(that you so openly shove in everyone's face) and add all your "book knowledge" comments. I already have a therapist, and so I won't be needing your psychological input.

I came here seeking support from others that have been through similar experiences. I came here to hopefully open the door for others that also want to talk about their similar experiences. I did not come here to be a study case for amateur psychologists, and would appreciate if you would refrain from posting comments in this thread that I started.

I really am not trying to be rude here, I'd just like to be able to talk about this and have others talk about it without feeling as if we all are being poked and prodded for information.

Thanks!

God Bless,
Amanda

Upvote 0

Shannonkish

Proud member of the Loud Few
Sep 12, 2003
Visit site
✟13,463.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Amanda,

I did not come here to be a therapist. I am honestly interested in your experiences, not to counsel you or anything of the sort. It would not be ethical for me to try to counsel you online anyhow.

The post you referred to was a post asking if the OP had schizophrenia or not. I simply answered with my thoughts. I would never expect a person online to solely consider what I have stated.

But, whatever, I simply just wanted to learn more about your experience since the mental health field intrests me very much. But as your post and another suggests that my thoughts are not wanted here.. I will leave you to your forum.

Upvote 0

Nan1

Senior Veteran
Aug 9, 2005
Washington
✟3,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mandy,

I cannot even believe I have found you. Or maybe that God led us to one another. I have not shared with anyone on the CF yet about the fact my child suffers from mental illness. How exactly do you go about sharing that info without getting that "knowing" look or shock or withdrawal. I love my boy and God put him in my life (and on this earth) for a reason. Trust, me...there are days I question it. I continually hear, "Prayer will see this through." Anyone that knows me, knows I pray. I put faith into what I pray, too. That doesn't make the journey any less than what it is...hard.

Jim is 11 and docs won't diagnose him though there are a number of possibilities out there that will be determined after puberty. They're hoping he'll grow into something more maintenance friendly. He takes some powerful meds that I'm constantly on the watch for ped diabetes or liver probs. He's been in the hospitalize twice - once when he was eight (now that's HARD) and again this year.

Am I afriad of my son? No. Am I afraid for him? A lot, especially when I see him spiraling and he doesn't choose to switch channels. Then I cast down the spirit of fear, brush myself off, give him a hug and move on.

So, there it is.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Nan

Reactions: Wildwood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Surrender2Win

Mar 20, 2005
✟0.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nan1 said:
Mandy,

I cannot even believe I have found you. Or maybe that God led us to one another. I have not shared with anyone on the CF yet about the fact my child suffers from mental illness. How exactly do you go about sharing that info without getting that "knowing" look or shock or withdrawal. I love my boy and God put him in my life (and on this earth) for a reason. Trust, me...there are days I question it. I continually hear, "Prayer will see this through." Anyone that knows me, knows I pray. I put faith into what I pray, too. That doesn't make the journey any less than what it is...hard.

Jim is 11 and docs won't diagnose him though there are a number of possibilities out there that will be determined after puberty. They're hoping he'll grow into something more maintenance friendly. He takes some powerful meds that I'm constantly on the watch for ped diabetes or liver probs. He's been in the hospitalize twice - once when he was eight (now that's HARD) and again this year.

Am I afriad of my son? No. Am I afraid for him? A lot, especially when I see him spiraling and he doesn't choose to switch channels. Then I cast down the spirit of fear, brush myself off, give him a hug and move on.

So, there it is.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Nan

:hug: :hug:

Thank you so much Nan for taking a risk here! Mental illness can be so hard to talk about with others...and I'm glad you decided to open up and talk here.

I do think that God has a purpose for everything. And I believe that He will use this to His glory, and though the road can be so bumpy, what an honor it is to have the Lord use "us" in whatever way He feels necessary. I hear how hard it feels for you, and I do understand...having stands on both sides of the spectrum, I can honestly say that mental illness is hard for everyone involved all around.

I imagine Nan, that it must be so difficult as a mother to have to watch your child go through this...and your attitude of moving beyond the fear when the spiraling happens and going forward is one to be commended...

Wildwood made a request on a forum specifically for family members having a loved one dealing with mental illness...I am hoping that can get started soon! The link was provided in the beginning of this thread somewhere, if you would like to see that happen too, and would want to reply the link is in the beginning of this thread..

Thank you for sharing Nan! :hug:

Upvote 0

Cat59

Just me
Aug 28, 2003
Beautiful Wales
Visit site
✟40,090.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
My sister has schizophrenia and my 16 year old son has had episodes where he hears voices, sees things and has bizarre beliefs (no one has ever given him a labal and personally, I don't want them to.) He takes meds and it makes his other problems worse (he has learning difficulties and autistic tendencies). He's OK at the moment (apart from the minor op he has to have on Tuesday, which is causing him a bit of anxiety)
I was terrified of my sister when she was ill- with good cause. She attacked my mother several times and once broke down the door of the bathroom when I was having a bath and screamed in my face that I was a witch that needed burning at the stake. She tried to strangle my mother when she was driving in her car and hit her over the head with a wooden chair. Now she's more settled, but I was in my early twenties when all that happened, and it lives with me still.
My beloved child, I am more scared for, than of. He is so vulnerable and I just can't focus on what his future may be. My sister, well for the past 8 years, will come and live when us when my parents leave this life, but who will look after him when I go?
As you say, Nan, all you can do is carry on, trusting that the Lord has us all in the palm of his hand.
Hugs for you all!

Upvote 0

Nan1

Senior Veteran
Aug 9, 2005
Washington
✟3,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That you all for your kind words of support. This summer all I have seen is a kid who is going through some of the same stuf as his peers. It's no fun on my end (puberty is tough on EVERYONE), but it's nice to know he's "normal" in this respect. That, or every other kid in the circle got wild with him! lol Don't get me wrong, Jim has had his ups and downs with panic attacks, anxiety, depression, and psychotic ideas as well. I just am thankful for the calm moments, ya know?

Upvote 0

Mashley

Sep 8, 2004
United States
✟8,704.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My Aunt has schizophrenia. She worries that she's going to get kidnapper or murdered or something. When she's home alone, she keeps all the doors locked and will sometimes hide in the closet. One day she was home alone and needed to take a shower so she took the mattresses off her bed and put them up against the door, so no one could get in.

Reactions: Wildwood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am thankful for this thread and need some advice, encouragement, input. I have been given the opportunity to be a foster mom to a 3 yr old boy. His mother is schizophrenic and stopped taking her meds. The DCFS has taken him from her and put him into foster care. He was put into foster care a few weeks ago. My cousin called me asking me if i would be willing to take him. He is her husbands cousins son. The boys Grandpa is very concerned and doesnt want him in the Foster care system with strangers so he called my cousin, she cant take him, for various reasons. The Grandpa is bedridden and cant take care of the boy but wants to know he is with a good family. I am not sure yet how temporary or permanent this situation might end up being. I don't know much about schizophrenia. This boy will be turning 4 in October and has been raised by his schizophrenic mother up to this point in time! The father has never been in the picture, she don't know who the Father is.

My first question is this. Is schizophrenia hereditary? What would the chances of this boy being schizophrenic also? How do you think this boy has been affected emotionally by his mother? What should i prepare myself for? What kind of things would a schizophrenic mom with a child do? Would she abuse him? I am a little nervous about what type of situation i am getting myself into with this child. Do you think he is young enough that with alot of love and stability he can overcome the first 4 yrs of his life? Thanks in advance for any input you can give me!

karen

Upvote 0

Wildwood

Jun 11, 2005
✟1,023.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Nan1

Senior Veteran
Aug 9, 2005
Washington
✟3,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
karenmarie said:
I am thankful for this thread and need some advice, encouragement, input. I have been given the opportunity to be a foster mom to a 3 yr old boy. His mother is schizophrenic and stopped taking her meds. The DCFS has taken him from her and put him into foster care. He was put into foster care a few weeks ago. My cousin called me asking me if i would be willing to take him. He is her husbands cousins son. The boys Grandpa is very concerned and doesnt want him in the Foster care system with strangers so he called my cousin, she cant take him, for various reasons. The Grandpa is bedridden and cant take care of the boy but wants to know he is with a good family. I am not sure yet how temporary or permanent this situation might end up being. I don't know much about schizophrenia. This boy will be turning 4 in October and has been raised by his schizophrenic mother up to this point in time! The father has never been in the picture, she don't know who the Father is.

My first question is this. Is schizophrenia hereditary? What would the chances of this boy being schizophrenic also? How do you think this boy has been affected emotionally by his mother? What should i prepare myself for? What kind of things would a schizophrenic mom with a child do? Would she abuse him? I am a little nervous about what type of situation i am getting myself into with this child. Do you think he is young enough that with alot of love and stability he can overcome the first 4 yrs of his life? Thanks in advance for any input you can give me!

karen

Mental illness can run in the pack. Does it always?? No. Hard to track in families because no one wants to talk about it or is in denial with it. You're armed with info. so this is good (ie the mom is diagnosed).

This boy was obviously affected by his mom or he wouldn't be in foster care. What she has done or hasn't done none of us can say because we don't know her tendencies or level of illness. I totally believe that with lots of love and stability ANY child can overcome.

I praise God that you are keeping this in prayer and asking for God's direction and wisdom. I'll be prayin' for you and the little guy...that he's placed right where God wants him to be and that his mom gets stabilized on meds.

:hug:
Nan

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2003
Not there yet
✟15,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My grandma suffered from Parinoid Scizophrenia. She attacked my mother a few times, and thought my mom brain washed my dad. She thought people "bugged" her trailor. She heard voices and saw dead people walking around.

Constantly causing mayhem. But I loved her so much and I miss her. (she died Feb. 14, 2003)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.