• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anti-Depressants

JasoNnnN

Feb 20, 2010
✟15,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For those that read my introduction thread, I explained the events that recently happened in my life. If you read it, you will know that I denied all suicide thoughts ect to the doctors. I got released from hospital late last year, with the doctor saying I was suffering from severe depression. Well, things are still pretty much the same, although slowly getting better. This year I've started to go out a bit more - last year I hardly ever went out - it got that bad. I'm still recieving help from the NHS and get taken football ect. I'm also in the process of trying to get a job and may have a temporary one very soon hopefully. But, even after all this, I still feel empty. My spark, my motivation, my willingess - all gone. Just like a wave tossed in the ocean. Even the sadness is gone. That's how empty I feel.

Anyway, I was asked if I wanted to try anti-depressants to try and help lift my mood. I'm going to see a doctor next week. I feel this is my last chance to try and break free from this. And perhaps I'll get that temporary job too and that may help also. All I can do is hope.

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jason, it's good to hear you're making progress. That blank feeling you describe is common to depression. It is possible that antidepressants can help. Just tell the doc all your symptoms and that will help them choose which one might help you. It's also good to hear you may have a job on its way. It seems things are looking up. I'll pray that the doc knows exactly what you need.

Upvote 0
E

Everlasting33

Hi, Jason! welcome to CF :)

I am also glad to hear you are doing better. There is always hope.

I would recommend understanding the source of your depression. More often than not, it's origins lay in the mirrored self-hate and pain from the parent-child relationship.

For the longest time, I couldn't understand my depression and self-esteem issues. With the help of a book, Fantasy Bond, I recognized that my own self-hate (symptom: depression) was founded early in childhood due to subtle and not so subtle experiences with my parents, particularly with my mother. Children naturally defend their parents and will accept responsibility for a parent's annoyed look, hard slap, or neglect.

Internalized pain is most often the cause for depression.

Reactions: ke1985
Upvote 0

Lighthouse76

Feb 27, 2010
✟15,309.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Welcome and Hi, Jason ! :wave:

I missed the introduction thread..where is it? If you can post a link..I am still get lost searching my own posts,..yep, lol..I'm new also.

I am glad you are feeling somewhat better but having no emotions not even saddness, all empty no expression comes out..I went throu that also..as I went without leaving my home for long too. I havent received any profissinal attention or took any medicine, yet (because lack of funds mainly)..than in my position of walking my own shoes, I have to say to you: take heart and hang on...the Lord will provide! He does provide for us all and we do have each different circunstances and are all unique individuals. One size formula/treatment/approach/etc dont fit all but One Lord God does fit all of us in His hand, that I am certain and sure.

I am praying for you and your next appointment.

Blessings and big hug.

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I am glad things are a little better, Jason... hope that you get the job!
Anti-depressants can help a lot to get your brain chemistry sorted out, and help you to think a little more clearly about things. They don't cure the underlying causes of the depression, but they make it easier to look at those causes and try to deal with them.

Keep coming here and talking if you can... that helps a lot too!!

Upvote 0

JasoNnnN

Feb 20, 2010
✟15,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd like to thank those who replied - I do appreciate it. I' very sad right now and you know the funny thing is I don't know why. I don't think I can hold on much longer so this may be my last message. Again, thanks for the messages - I hope you all find great happiness. God bless you.

Upvote 0

maycin

Sep 24, 2009
✟7,876.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I am so sorry that you are feeling so sad.....it is so confusing to feel these things and then not know why. Please try not to question yourself or blame yourself. I know the depression and confuse and cause us despair and I think satan loves to use this against us.

We live in a fallen world. There are so many things that we won't understand until we get to heaven. But we can know that even if we don't feel God's presence--and I don't at many times--that he will not leave us. I don't believe that he wants us to suffer in this way and he wants to be with us. He counts our every tear. You don't have to feel this--it is God's word. Try to just rest in his grace. It doesn't matter what we do or don't do, what we understand or don't understand, we can accept his grace always. When I'm at my worse, in bed, can't do anything--sometimes I am down on myself, thinking I am lazy and I should do some things like exercise or sit in the sun--but my motivation is just not there--and then I remember I can take God's grace on it all. ......please keep talking to us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JasoNnnN

Feb 20, 2010
✟15,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, everyone! I'm feeling better today - the only thing I can keep doing is making it through the nights.

I find it difficult to talk about my feelings. It's tough for me right now. My friends have all done well - they've moved on with their lives, found jobs and are moving forward. Where as me, I seem to have fell in a pit - and I'm finding it difficult to see the light. I want to feel god like you do. And I'm trying. Please believe me when I say this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

maycin

Sep 24, 2009
✟7,876.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Jason,
I am so glad to hear you are feeling better. I can somewhat relate to what you are saying about your friends moving on, etc. I have two daughters 26 & 24 that experienced the feelings that you are experiencing. It is really a big transition, so much so that my daughter had fully intended to start a website for support to those young adults like yourself.
I hope that you will continue to come to this forum to express your feelings. I find it so comforting. I come here and post a thread when I feel I'm so totally overwhelmed by it all--and the love and understanding I feel from these fellow christians who are struggling with depression just helps lift me up. I feel God is working thru these wonderful people.
I will go to you tube and listen. I will continue to think of you and pray for you. ...I hope you will go easy on yourself, it is so hard when we don't feel the Lord, we feel abandoned--but he has promised to never leave us or forsake us.

Upvote 0

spazlegs

Oct 29, 2009
✟15,323.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jason, some Christians like to say that you should just depend on the Lord for healing. If the Sovereign God chooses to heal you, then that is just absolutely wonderful. But you know, He gets to choose, not us.

Nutritional supplements and herbals like St. John's Wort may help you. They didn't do much for me.

Some antidepressant just did very bad things, others didn't do much. It took a while and finally I've found ones that do work.

I've tried to stop taking antidepressant and the bleakness and de-solaced condition returned again.

Some people only need meds for a short while others for the rest of their life. I'm in the latter category.

Did antidepressants do the whole thing? Nope. Prayer, Counseling, books, reframing my thinking with neuro linguistic programming did it. That and getting more sleep and taking care of myself.

I will be praying for you brother.

Adding. If you have diabetes, and needed it would you not take insulin? In some cases diet, weight loss and exercise do the trick for diabetics, sometimes a pill works and sometimes they have to give themselves shots. Trust you doctor, not people on the internet for prescribing what you need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rachel22

Apr 29, 2008
✟8,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hi jason i want to pray that you will get the help you need :prayer:. a temporary job might be a nice thing to help get you focused on something other than the misery :thumbsup:. i like to think about a commercial i saw that says "don't give up". don't ever give up however bad things get, giving up wont make things get any better.

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jason, I hear what you are saying, "I want to feel God like you do." But sometimes I, we here, can't feel Him either. But His is still there with you, and His plan to bring you through this is still there too. There is a solution for you. I can promise you that. Sometimes it just takes time to find it. I think these are time in which are faith is grown. We often think that others have so much more faith than we do, or better faith than we do. But everyone's trials are different. We really can't compare ourselves to others. God loves you as much as everyone one you see who is living the life you want. And He will bring you out to a good place. "He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, Out of the miry clay, And set my feet upon a rock, [And] established my steps." This is what is happening in your life right now. But the thing is you are in the middle of it, and that's the hardest part. The beginning of a trial is tough and the end is wonderful. But it's the middle. That's the place where we are so tempted to give up.

I wanted to post this for you. It helped me a great deal when I was beginnning to slip down again. God really spoke to me through it and I believe He will speak to you: 360 Life #12 - Pressing On

Praying for you,
A

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

maycin

Sep 24, 2009
✟7,876.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Jason,
I was wondering about something if you don't mind me asking? You mentioned in your first post that you didn't tell the doctors at hospital about your suicidal thoughts. If you don't mind me asking, was there a particular reason why.
Also, I wanted to share alittle bit about my experiences with doctors. I feel I spent many years not being really articulate about all the symptoms I was experiencing. I don't really know why. My symptoms come and go. I was in denial. Who knows. But this was really a mistake on my part. I believe I would have gotten help more quickly if I had explained all my symptoms--want to sleep all the time, don't want to leave the house, negative thoughts towards people and myself, loss of interest, and of course, feeling like I couldn't go on, well, really just questioning how would I continue how would I find the strength. Also, it is easy to be intimidated by docs. Anyway, we all here care about what your experiencing. We know the pain. And we are hoping you can get some medical help and other helps that can help relieve some of the pain...I will continue to pray for you. I hope you can find some rest and peace this weekend.

Upvote 0