NRW
✟11,363.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's not necessarily that atheists are telling you what atheism is...the term itself explains itself...'a' without...'theism', the belief in a god or gods. Atheism on its face is nothing more than the absence of a belief in gods...

Good, a second one. Same advice: Go back to the forum and tell them that bad language has nothing to do with atheism.

Upvote 0

Aseyesee

Apr 18, 2017
Norfolk, Virginia
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Irrelevant to the analogy. Both are claims made by men. Some people will accept those claims. Others will not. I do not accept the claims made about gods.

No. It's very much the claims of others. If you are a typical Christian, someone introduced you to those claims, probably when you were a child. You obviously have accepted those claims, on 'faith', as your religion instructs you to do. I have not accepted those claims.

To not accept is to accept for yourself that you do not accept; circular logic, a serpent and his tail.

There is no disbelief in God until there is first a concept of God; the disbelief having no basis to form without the concept.

To me accept and belief are interchangeable to consciousness ...

• Agree
Reactions: LaraLara
Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I recently had the doubtfull experience of encountering an atheist forum the "thinking atheist" that states in the rules that ad hominem attacks and foul language is allowed.

1. Such a forum is inacessible to the mentally handicaped as they can not stand such attacks.
2. A meaningfull discussion about physics as I wanted was impossible.

So how can a forum can come up with such harmfull rules that insult common sense?
In my experience this has more to do with the American idea of "free speech" (that´s totally different from the one we have in Germany - generally speaking) than with anything else. I have been on American music and politics forums that were pretty much ruleless and unmoderated.

I think it is because they want to be "anti-church".
When it´s about motives of others, I´d recommend you to ask them rather than making guesses (particularly when the guesses you make are unfavourable and/or confirm your prejudices).
It is true that the church had a restrictive way of what can be discussed and it as well has a long hold problem with swearing. If you want to be the exact opposite of that than the forum make sense.
There are a lot of possible other reasons for allowing for free expression and choice of words that make at least as much or even more sense. This one, however, seems to be the most convenient one for you.
However some of the rules of the church are extremely reasonable even if you dislike the christian religion itself.
Well, when they are reasonable, they probably will show up in other world views as well.
I think (?) it was Voltaire who in the french revolution stated that the quick dismantling of the church would result in mayham.
I suspect he was right (just like abolishing free gun ownership in America would probably result in a lot of violence, while other countries have been and are prospering without it quite fine). So I think Voltaire made a point about too sudden and radical changes (which would be a pretty irrelevant point in the question at hand).

If atheism is about beeing "anti-church"
Well, it isn´t. It´s about not holding a belief in Gods.
You are confusing yourself when you make wild guesses about others´ intentions and motives, and then point out that motive and actions aren´t reconcilable. The more self-suggesting conclusion would be: You have guessed wrongly.
than why not be against the command not to murder?
Because there are plenty of non-religious reasons to be against murder, and because not believing in a God doesn´t mean you are in principal opposition to each and everything that may be said in church.

You better not sell people who disagree with you short that way, or you will end up confused.

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Good, a second one. Same advice: Go back to the forum and tell them that bad language has nothing to do with atheism.
Did they actually say that bad language has something to do with atheism, or was that more like your guess? So why would I go there (where I have never been, btw) to inform them that your guess was mistaken?

Upvote 0

LaraLara

1 leptofrofron + 1 leptofrafran = 1 leptofrofran
Jul 18, 2017
NRW
✟11,363.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
In my experience this has more to do with the American idea of "free speech"

When it´s about motives of others, I´d recommend you to ask them rather than making guesses (particularly when the guesses you make are unfavourable and/or confirm your prejudices).

There are a lot of possible other reasons for allowing for free expression and choice of words that make at least as much or even more sense. This one, however, seems to be the most convenient one for you.

Well, when they are reasonable, they probably will show up in other world views as well.

I suspect he was right (just like abolishing free gun ownership in America would probably result in a lot of violence, while other countries have been and are prospering without it quite fine. So I think Voltaire made a point about too sudden and radical changes.

Well, it isn´t. It´s about not holding a belief in Gods.
You are confusing yourself when you make wild guesses about others´ intentions and motives, and then point out that motive and actions aren´t reconcilable. The more self-suggesting conclusion would be: You have guessed wrongly.

Because there are plenty of non-religious reasons to be against murder, and because not believing in a God doesn´t mean you are in principal opposition to each and everything that may be said in church.

You better not sell people who disagree with you short that way, or you will end up confused.

I can not make anthying else than guesses about what they want anymore because as I said I am to unhealthy to access such a forum with such a style.

Go there and find out if you are realy interested. An unmoderated forum is not the same as a forum that explicitly allows foul language and personal attack. I really find it warrants attention as to what the people wanted to achieve there.

And if a music forum is unmoderated that will not get as unhealthy as in a forum about religion.

I know that there are many reasons not to commit murder, which have nothing to do with religion however I wanted to highlight the child-like behaviour of "we only need to be opposite of the church." in a satiric manner. I did not say that all atheists are like this otherwise the word atheism would have been in the title.

As for Americans ideas about "free speech" equals insults I would check the IQ of that Nation now - because normally an insult rich speech stile is regarded as a sign of low intelligence.

Upvote 0

LaraLara

Jul 18, 2017
NRW
✟11,363.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Did they actually say that bad language has something to do with atheism, or was that more like your guess? So why would I go there (where I have never been, btw) to inform them that your guess was mistaken?

They say bad language is about free thinking and they say free thinking is assosciated with atheism. Please: I said I can not go there, I am psychical ill and I even was advised by the atheist to not go there. If you are interested why they think they need this ask them. It is the second biggest forum on atheism I found so this is not a minority problem.

But if you attack only me instead of the forum than I think ultimatively you have no problem to be associated with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LaraLara

Jul 18, 2017
NRW
✟11,363.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Every forum has its own rules for participation. If you can't live with them, don't go there.

It is discriminatory because it excludes the mentally ill. A forum with any sort of compassion should always be constructed for the weakest member.

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I can not make anthying else than guesses about what they want anymore because as I said I am to unhealthy to access such a forum with such a style.
I´m not seeing how you must make uneducated guesses. You could simply abstain from making guesses - especially when they don´t even make sense to yourself.

Go there and find out if you are realy interested.
I´m not interested. I am interested in correcting your misunderstandings of atheism that you display here.
An unmoderated forum is not the same as a forum that explicitly allows foul language and personal attack.
Those forums did both.
I really find it warrants attention as to what the people wanted to achieve there.
So it would be a good idea to ask them, but you are too unhealthy to do that. Instead you confront us with your wild and unfavourable guesses.

And if a music forum is unmoderated that will not get as unhealthy as in a forum about religion.
You bet it does.

I know that there are many reasons not to commit murder, which have nothing to do with religion however I wanted to highlight the child-like behaviour of "we only need to be opposite of the church." in a satiric manner.
...which, obviously, you only assumed and insinuated...

As for Americans ideas about "free speech" equals insults
This wasn´t my claim. Try to be more precise when paraphrasing me, please.
I would check the IQ of that Nation now - because normally an insult rich speech stile is regarded as a sign of low intelligence.
Then go ahead and do that - if you want to prove that what "normally...is regarded" accurate (instead of merely conveniencing yourself in your bias). Show the correlation, next try to prove causation. You may be onto something.

Upvote 0

LaraLara

Jul 18, 2017
NRW
✟11,363.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I repeat I am not commenting on atheism in general but an unfavourable way atheists can interpret it. You could do something against this misunderstanding by gooing to the forum and telling them that it is a bad idea but its actually more important to attack me.

I am not going to reapeat me over over and over again. Furthermore you do not understand my humor - you want me to make a scientific theory of it.

I am not leading a conversation with someone who continually tries to misunderstand me. I am hence setting you to blocked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I repeat I am not commenting on atheism in general but an unfavourable way atheists can interpret it.
...while in fact is was you who read certain unfavourable motives into it.
You could do something against this misunderstanding by gooing to the forum and telling them that it is a bad idea
Whether it´s a bad idea or not hasn´t been the topic here. Personally I am not a big fan of insulting language, but I am not going to tell website owners what policies to adopt, and even less what you think about it. If you want to avoid going there, you could simply send a mail to the owners.
I am not a big fan of the CF policies either, but it´s their site, and by subscribing I have accepted them. If I find them inacceptable, I will leave.
but its actually more important to attack me.
So you perceive my criticism as an attack? Ok.

I am not going to reapeat me over over and over again.
Thank you.
Furthermore you do not understand my humor
I agree - I didn´t manage to spot even a shred of humour in your OP.

I am not leading a conversation with someone who continually tries to misunderstand me.
Ah, there´s the psychic speaking, again.
I am hence setting you to blocked.
Ok, thanks for informing me.
All the best, and first of all soon recovery from your health issues!

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It is discriminatory because it excludes the mentally ill. A forum with any sort of compassion should always be constructed for the weakest member.

I'm sorry, but they don't have to make their rules to suit you.

Upvote 0