NRW
✟11,363.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I recently had the doubtfull experience of encountering an atheist forum the "thinking atheist" that states in the rules that ad hominem attacks and foul language is allowed.

1. Such a forum is inacessible to the mentally handicaped as they can not stand such attacks.
2. A meaningfull discussion about physics as I wanted was impossible.

So how can a forum can come up with such harmfull rules that insult common sense?

I think it is because they want to be "anti-church". It is true that the church had a restrictive way of what can be discussed and it as well has a long hold problem with swearing. If you want to be the exact opposite of that than the forum make sense. However some of the rules of the church are extremely reasonable even if you dislike the christian religion itself. I think (?) it was Voltaire who in the french revolution stated that the quick dismantling of the church would result in mayham.

If atheism is about beeing "anti-church" than why not be against the command not to murder?

Edit: several people complained that atheism is only about non-believe in god. I agree with such a stance but in that case, to make your complaint sound true, it would be more helpfull if you go to th thinking atheist forum and tell THEM that foul language and ad hominem attacks have nothing to do with atheism.

Last edited:

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I recently had the doubtfull experience of encountering an atheist forum the "thinking atheist" that states in the rules that ad hominem attacks and foul language is allowed.

1. Such a forum is inacessible to the mentally handicaped as they can not stand such attacks.

So how can a forum can come up with such harmfull rules that insult common sense?

I think it is because they want to be "anti-church". It is true that the church had a restrictive way of what can be discussed and it as well has a long hold problem with swearing. If you want to be the exact opposite of that than the forum make sense. However some of the rules of the church are extremely reasonable even if you dislike the christian religion itself. I think (?) it was Voltaire who in the french revolution stated that the quick dismantling of the church would result in mayham.

If atheism is about beeing "anti-church" than why not be against the command not to murder?
Hi Lara. Atheism isnt anti-church, its simply a view that there is no God of any type. As to the question of murder laws, atheists would see it as a social principle. It would be a weak argument to say murder laws are a church principle when through the ages the church commissioned so many deaths eg burning at the stake of women.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Lara. Atheism isnt anti-church, its simply a view that there is no God of any type. As to the question of murder laws, atheists would see it as a social principle. It would be a weak argument to say murder laws are a church principle when through the ages the church commissioned so many deaths eg burning at the stake of women.

My wife does hate it when I burn the steaks.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I've been there and have a hard time imagining what they discuss, with who.

Upvote 0

LaraLara

1 leptofrofron + 1 leptofrafran = 1 leptofrofran
Jul 18, 2017
NRW
✟11,363.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi Lara. Atheism isnt anti-church, its simply a view that there is no God of any type.

Than go to the forum I cited and tell them what they do with their discussion rules has nothing to do with atheism.

Upvote 0

Aseyesee

Apr 18, 2017
Norfolk, Virginia
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

True atheism, as something practiced is not anti church, or anti God, it's pro do it yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: LaraLara
Upvote 0

LaraLara

Jul 18, 2017
NRW
✟11,363.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
True atheism, as something prcticed

I slowly start to get distrfull when atheist tell me what atheism really is and is not. I am well able to form my own opinion based on such experiences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aseyesee

Apr 18, 2017
Norfolk, Virginia
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I slowly start to get distrfull when atheist tell me what atheism really is and is not. I am well able to form my own opinion based on such experiences.

In that light ... Christianity has the same problem atheism has.

Upvote 0

LaraLara

Jul 18, 2017
NRW
✟11,363.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
In that light ... Christianity has the same problem atheism has.

Atheist always tell me they are not a uniform group and than they behave like one. Is that similar to Christians?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Faith is required to not believe in God as much as it is required to believe in God.

Wrong. It takes no 'faith' on my part to not accept the claims made by others.

You tell me you own the Sydney Harbour Bridge. If I don't accept your bold claim, am I exercising 'faith', or just reasonable scepticism...?

Upvote 0

Aseyesee

Apr 18, 2017
Norfolk, Virginia
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wrong. It takes no 'faith' on my part to not accept the claims made by others.

You tell me you own the Sydney Harbour Bridge. If I don't accept your bold claim, am I exercising 'faith', or just reasonable scepticism...?

You can see a bridge, God you cannot. It's not the claim of another, in the end, it's what you believe.

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You can see a bridge, God you cannot.

Irrelevant to the analogy. Both are claims made by men. Some people will accept those claims. Others will not. I do not accept the claims made about gods.

It's not the claim of another, in the end, it's what you believe.

No. It's very much the claims of others. If you are a typical Christian, someone introduced you to those claims, probably when you were a child. You obviously have accepted those claims, on 'faith', as your religion instructs you to do. I have not accepted those claims.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Atheist always tell me they are not a uniform group and than they behave like one. Is that similar to Christians?
Christianity can have its own comity problems at times, but I think they are relatively measured. But I have observed an increasingly violent spirit among its opposition. Free speech is becoming an endangered species on campuses, there was a huge wave of street violence, and even more violent rhetoric, including thousands of calls for assassination, after the last US election. With great irony, most of it was done under the rubric of anti-fascism, and the media covered it uncritically, which indeed is how this meltdown in decency could occur.

Upvote 0