Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Today at 02:48 AM Talmid HaYarok said this in Post #1 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=652536#post652536)

Hey I recently got a link to this in a newsletter. The Hebrew University of Jerusalem has put up a website which contains loads of ancient maps of Jerusalem.

Check it out!

and if you find anything noteworthy, let us know.

I was reading Nehemiah last night and in Chapter 2 He describes going toward a gate near the Dragon's well. I could not find anything concerning the nature of that area on any maps available to me.

Upvote 0

HaNotsri

Jun 10, 2004
Madison, WI
✟8,832.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did some searching into this (most of this information comes from the NIV study bible).

It relates that a lot of scholars believed to be En-Rogel (found in Joshua 15:7-8, Joshua 18:16, II Samuel 17:17, and I Kings 1:9). It was a spring that situated where the Valley of Hinnom and the Kidron Valley met. This is just south of Jerusalem and the City of David. They also suggested it could have been the Pool of Siloam.

It seems that the Nehemia stayed and examine the walls of southern (and eastern) Jerusalem, which is where they're getting this from.

Upvote 0

Sephania

Jan 7, 2004
✟16,387.00
I found this:

West of Silwan in the valley lies the Virgin's Fountain, whose modern name is derived from a fourteenth-century legend to the effect that Mary used to draw water and wash the clothes of the infant Jesus there. The spring is probably identical with Gihon where Solomon was anointed and proclaimed king. Sixteen steps lead down to a level platform and fourteen more to the water. From these steps the spring is called by the Arabs Ain Um ed Derej or the Spring of the Mother of Steps. Another name given to the spring is the Well of the Dragon from the local superstition that a dragon dwells within the spring and when he is awake stops the flow of water. The intermittent stream is the origin of the suggestion that the water flows only when the dragon sleeps.

This site says this about it, commenting on features not located as yet, but this was in
by Col. Sir Charles Warren, K.C.M.G., R.E.,
and
Capt. Claude Reigner Conder, R.E.

The Committe of the Palestine Exploration Fund, Inc
1, Adam Street, Adelphi, London, WC., England, 1884.

Of natural features, the Dragon's Well and the Serpent's Poo1 (with the adjoining monument of Herod) are the most important remaining to be fixed, while the site of Calvary, traditionally placed within the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, has been supposed by Captain Conder to be recognizable in the present cliff of Jeremiah's Grotto.

From the Catholic Encyclopedia
(a) Mount Sion is bounded on the west by a valley which begins near the old pool called Birket Mamilla (see below, under D), about 1000 feet to the northwest of the hill itself. This valley, following a southeasterly direction as far as the Jaffa Gate, the ancient gate of the gardens (Gennath) (Bell. Jud., V, iv, 2), then turns to the south and forms a great reservoir of water called the Birket es Sultan, by means of a massive dam, which was rebuilt in the twelfth and the sixteenth centuries. This is the Fountain of the Dragon (tannin) which Nehemias came to when he went out of the city by the western gate (D.V., "dragon fountain ", Nehemiah 2:13). Josephus calls it the Pool of the Serpent (Bell. Jud., V, iii, 2); the Hebrew word tannin simplifies both "dragon" and "serpent". This valley is called by the natives Wadi Rababi; in the Bible it goes by the name of Ge Hinnom, or Ge Ben Hinnom, "Valley of Ennom" (in A.V., Hinnom) or "of the son of Ennom"-an unknown personage (Joshua 15:8; 18:16; Nehemiah 11:30; Jeremiah 19:2). Below the Birket es Sultan, it turns to the east, passes below Halcedama (q.v.), and connects with the Valley of Cedron

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Shalom. I didn't know whether to start a thread on this or if I am even allowed to start one on this board.
My question is, why are there 2 different greek words used for Jerusalem in the NT? Thanks . :wave:

Hierosoluma (Strong's 2414) occurs 59 times in 59 verses:
ierosoluma <2414>,

Hierousalem (Strong's 2419) occurs 83 times in 80 verses:
ierousalhm <2419>,

Matthew 24:1 And having gone forth, Jesus departed from the Temple/ierou<2411>, and his disciples came near to show him the buildings of the temple,

Hebrews 7:1 For this Melchisedek, king of Salem/salhm <4532>, priest/iereuVof the God of the Most High/uyistou <5310>, the together-joining Abraham turning-back from the smiting of the kings, and did bless him,

Btw, there was a non-Christian inquiring about MJs over on the NCR board so I referred him to the MJ board here. Shalom.

http://www.christianforums.com/t5838968-inquiries-about-messianic-judaism.html

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Codger

Oct 23, 2003
N. E. Ohio
✟1,926.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I read that in ancient times the Gihon spring was the only natural source of water in Jerusalem within a five mile radius (Except for the aquaduct). I also read where the Gihon spring is a siphon type spring and does not flow continuously like most springs do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

philmwri

Apr 28, 2005
United States
✟485.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0