Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,230.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
"Gesher Benot Ya’aqov (GBY) is a famous archaeological site in the Hula Valley in northern Israel. The site holds the remains of a number of large animals like elephants, as well as the stone tools used to butcher them. "

"Thousands of hand axes and other tools have been discovered at both sites, which belong to the Acheulian style, a type of usually oval stone tool industry often associated with Homo erectus that lasted from roughly 1.7 million years ago to about 200,000 years ago. The GBY site dates to roughly 750,000 years ago, while Ma’ayan Barukh dates to about 500,000 years ago."

750_Year_Old_Workshop

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,269.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
How do they determine such dates? By what method?
The focus of the paper is upon the source of the flint used at the subject sites. A quick scan of the journal paper (for which there is a link with in linked OP article) does not discuss dating. This almost certainly means that the formations that contain the artifacts have been dated in the past, likely on more than one occassion, and probably by multiple methods.
There are many online resources to learn more about dating methodology, I should be happy to search out a couple of links if I can be assured you would read them without prejudice.

@dlamberth I hope you will excuse a little Brito-chauvanism. This abstract (+ introduction and some extracts) from Late Acheulean technology and cognition at Boxgrove, UK relates to a similar workshop in the south of England contemparaneous, at ~500 kya, with the Ma’ayan Barukh site. The full paper from your link and the contents of this show the immense care taken in investigating these topics and the consequent commitment to accuracy. It is a pity that some are unable to revel in the skills and progress of our ancestors, blinded as they are by personal disbelief.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,455.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Gesher Benot Ya’aqov (GBY) is a famous archaeological site in the Hula Valley in northern Israel. The site holds the remains of a number of large animals like elephants, as well as the stone tools used to butcher them. "

"Thousands of hand axes and other tools have been discovered at both sites, which belong to the Acheulian style, a type of usually oval stone tool industry often associated with Homo erectus that lasted from roughly 1.7 million years ago to about 200,000 years ago. The GBY site dates to roughly 750,000 years ago, while Ma’ayan Barukh dates to about 500,000 years ago."

750_Year_Old_Workshop
The enormous size of many
ancient hand axes is an interesting mystery

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If this keeps up, we're eventually going to be found having dinosaurs as pets.
Crocodiles have been around for a long time, although technically they're not dinosaurs. They're related to them though.

But they don't make good pets unless you're the late Steve Irwin.

They have a nasty bite, nearly three times as powerful as a tiger or lion. If you take one for a walk, make sure it's got a muzzle on.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,455.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The focus of the paper is upon the source of the flint used at the subject sites. A quick scan of the journal paper (for which there is a link with in linked OP article) does not discuss dating. This almost certainly means that the formations that contain the artifacts have been dated in the past, likely on more than one occassion, and probably by multiple methods.
There are many online resources to learn more about dating methodology, I should be happy to search out a couple of links if I can be assured you would read them without prejudice.

@dlamberth I hope you will excuse a little Brito-chauvanism. This abstract (+ introduction and some extracts) from Late Acheulean technology and cognition at Boxgrove, UK relates to a similar workshop in the south of England contemparaneous, at ~500 kya, with the Ma’ayan Barukh site. The full paper from your link and the contents of this show the immense care taken in investigating these topics and the consequent commitment to accuracy. It is a pity that some are unable to revel in the skills and progress of our ancestors, blinded as they are by personal disbelief.
In China we are quite serious about
honoring our ancestors.
It is such a sad shame and disgrace for
anyone to just say they never existed.

The struggle over the millenia, the progress they
made, the terrible hardship!

To say language, and so much more was a
gift just handed to us is so profoundly wrong and
disrespectful!
I hope there's an afterlife just so such people
can meet all their ancestors. And apologize.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Wow
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,455.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is.

That is certainly debatable.

Yes, I believe the Bible is the direct word of God. I also believe in an old Earth, not a 6K year old Earth.
You mean... you don't believe you are gifted
with infallible interpretation, and, know more
than any researcher on earth? :D

There's something to hold in common with all
other people of good sense and human sized ego.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You mean... you don't believe you are gifted
with infallible interpretation, and, know more
than any researcher on earth?
Oh, I am plenty fallible, I make mistakes every day! :)

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,455.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh, I am plenty fallible, I make mistakes every day! :)
As for me I quite plainly do not believe as you
do, don't believe any god exists. Thar anyone can know.

It's my belief that such knowledge is beyond the reach of
humankind.
Might there be a god who ser the whole thing up and
lets it run its course? I about half thimk so.

I've no disrespect in my heart for those who believe
there's a god.

Otoh, no respect for the opinions of those who
do claim to know  what are often quite ridiculous things that they cannot possibly know.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,230.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I thought this was a christian forum, the earth is around 6000 +- years old according to the Bible, whenever I hear hundreds of thousands or milions Im like do you even believe in the word of God.
I believe in what God's Creation as created is actually showing us, that the Earth is 4.5 Billion years old. I have no idea how much clearer God's word on such things like that can be than His own Creation.

Upvote 0