The Incredible Odyssey of Mankind: Ape to Human in a Million Years (Video)

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

In this fascinating video, the evolution from ape to man is traced, beginning with the Proconsul, a fruit-eating creature that lived in African trees about 20 million years ago. As the African jungle became sparse due to climate changes, these tree-dwelling creatures were forced to leave their arboreal homes and adapt to life on the ground. The descendants of Proconsul, Ardipithecus, began walking on their rear limbs, taking their first steps towards becoming bipedal. As the climate continued to change and Africa transformed into a savanna, new creatures such as gracile australopiths emerged, walking on two legs in a manner similar to modern humans . The evolution of these beings continued, with the emergence of the first humans, Homo habilis, who were the first to create stone tools, marking a significant milestone in human history.​
The journey of human evolution continued with the appearance of Homo ergaster, who became skilled hunters with their spears and stone tools. Their intelligence allowed them to dominate the African savanna, and eventually, they began to spread beyond the continent, conquering the vast expanses of the planet. Throughout their evolution, humans have faced numerous challenges, and it was these hardships that fostered the development of reason. The Homo heidelbergensis , the first prehistoric humans with brain sizes similar to ours, built shelters, buried their dead, and created the first objects of art. The video concludes by emphasizing that reason has made humans responsible for their own future, and now, everything depends on us.​

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,757.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I think it is more accurate to think of it as from ape to somewhat different ape.

The distaste that will arise in some minds at this suggestion is, ironically, a delightful illustration that we have retained much of our ancestral ape character.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

In this fascinating video, the evolution from ape to man is traced, beginning with the Proconsul, a fruit-eating creature that lived in African trees about 20 million years ago. As the African jungle became sparse due to climate changes, these tree-dwelling creatures were forced to leave their arboreal homes and adapt to life on the ground. The descendants of Proconsul, Ardipithecus, began walking on their rear limbs, taking their first steps towards becoming bipedal. As the climate continued to change and Africa transformed into a savanna, new creatures such as gracile australopiths emerged, walking on two legs in a manner similar to modern humans . The evolution of these beings continued, with the emergence of the first humans, Homo habilis, who were the first to create stone tools, marking a significant milestone in human history.​
The journey of human evolution continued with the appearance of Homo ergaster, who became skilled hunters with their spears and stone tools. Their intelligence allowed them to dominate the African savanna, and eventually, they began to spread beyond the continent, conquering the vast expanses of the planet. Throughout their evolution, humans have faced numerous challenges, and it was these hardships that fostered the development of reason. The Homo heidelbergensis , the first prehistoric humans with brain sizes similar to ours, built shelters, buried their dead, and created the first objects of art. The video concludes by emphasizing that reason has made humans responsible for their own future, and now, everything depends on us.​
It's incredible because it did not happen.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I think it is more accurate to think of it as from ape to somewhat different ape.

The distaste that will arise in some minds at this suggestion is, ironically, a delightful illustration that we have retained much of our ancestral ape character.
This is the single cell that supposedly appeared out of a puddle of toxic sludge: Not exactly simple, is it.

1685420942059.png

Attachments

• 1685420857818.png
    1685420857818.png
    640.7 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟148,947.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Aussie Pete Did you know that mitochondria were originally bacteria? They have a different DNA than you do. During the evolution of the cell, this symbiosis between the two organisms established and today we need it for life.

They have also their own "will", so to say and can influence our behavior. Another civilization of organisms we got used to live together through evolution is our microbiome. They can also give us strong desires we can mistaken for ours (like cravings) and influence us biochemically in many ways.

Our body is not just ours, its a walking home of various organisms. And we must actually realize it, to balance it for our health and well-being, using proper diet, sleep, exercise and similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's incredible because it did not happen.
Denying that evolution is real is not evidence that it didn't happen.

More importantly, there are many problems with denying evolution. It can lead to bad science, harm education, promote discrimination, and harm our understanding of the world. It is important to remember that evolution is a well-supported scientific theory with a vast body of evidence to support it. When we deny evolution, we are denying reality.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
More importantly, there are many problems with denying evolution.

On the microscale, yes.

The macroscale is different, though.

I'm talking evolution, when I say I came from my mom & dad.

But saying I came from mom & dad is not the same thing as agreeing I came from Mother Nature's landfill.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On the microscale, yes.

The macroscale is different, though.

I'm talking evolution, when I say I came from my mom & dad.

But saying I came from mom & dad is not the same thing as agreeing I came from Mother Nature's landfill.
Accepting microevolution but denying macroevolution is a logical fallacy known as special pleading. There is no scientific basis for accepting one while denying the other, as they are not separate or mutually exclusive processes, but rather different scales of the same evolutionary process.

The denial of macroevolution is often motivated by religious belief, while evolution is well-supported by evidence. Evolution and religion are two different things. Evolution is a scientific theory that is based on evidence, while religion is a system of beliefs that is based on faith.

It is important to be respectful of people's religious beliefs. However, it is also important to be clear about the difference between science and belief. Science is based on evidence and logic, while belief is based on faith. If you want to discuss science, it is important to understand the basics, even if you don't agree with them.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Accepting microevolution but denying macroevolution is a logical fallacy known as special pleading.

You can call it "special pleading," if you want.

I like its definition:

Special Pleading. Description: The argument defends a position by claiming that the opponent lacks the necessary perspective (experiences or credentials) to appreciate the position (or the arguments in support of it). This lack allegedly makes the opponent unqualified to critique the position.

Academia lacks the necessary experiences or credentials to appreciate macroevolution.

Do you know what that "necessary experience or credential" is?

DEEP TIME

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can call it "special pleading," if you want.

I like its definition:

Special Pleading. Description: The argument defends a position by claiming that the opponent lacks the necessary perspective (experiences or credentials) to appreciate the position (or the arguments in support of it). This lack allegedly makes the opponent unqualified to critique the position.

Academia lacks the necessary experiences or credentials to appreciate macroevolution.

Do you know what that "necessary experience or credential" is?

DEEP TIME
What is your evidence for a young earth?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is your evidence for a young earth?

I'm not so sure the earth is as young as YECs say it is; so I just say the earth is as old as God willed it in Genesis 1.

Six thousand, ten thousand, a million ...

I don't care it it's ten jillion years old.

I'm easy.

But what I absolutely will not do, is believe it has been in existence longer than 4004 BC.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟259,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is the single cell that supposedly appeared out of a puddle of toxic sludge: Not exactly simple, is it.

View attachment 331743
NO, it is not. What you show there is a generalized eukaryotic animal cell, which is already an advanced cell, more advanced than a prokaryotic cell.
But more fundamentally, what you display is an argument from ignorance, which is a logical fallacy.
Do you think you have any valid argument to support your position?
And before you hit the reply button; think about this: bringing more invalid arguments to the table damages your position, for it validates the suspicion that evoluttion deniers don't have any valid argument at all.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But what I absolutely will not do, is believe it has been in existence longer than 4004 BC.
The problem with a religious belief that denies deep time is that it can lead to a number of challenges, such as:
A lack of understanding of the natural world.​
A conflict with scientific evidence.​
A lack of tolerance for other beliefs.​

The question of whether or not to believe in deep time is a personal one, and each of us must decide for ourselves what we believe. However, it is important to be aware of the potential challenges that can arise from a religious belief that denies deep time.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
However, it is important to be aware of the potential challenges that can arise from a religious belief that denies deep time.

Oh, I've got plenty of them.

Here's one of my favorites:

My Raisin Bread Challenge

I create a loaf of raisin bread ex nihilo.

Am I being deceptive? if so, how?

In fact, this one is my second favorite challenge of all.

Second only to My Apple Challenge thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, I've got plenty of them.

Here's one of my favorites:

My Raisin Bread Challenge

In fact, this one is my second favorite challenge of all.

Second only to My Apple Challenge thread.
Reminds me of a recent discussion with two Catholic priests, who are friends of mine, about the Serenity Prayer which is repeated at the end of AA meetings. The first line is the challenge.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟259,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Reminds me of a recent discussion with two Catholic priests, who are friends of mine, about the Serenity Prayer which is repeated at the end of AA meetings. The first line is the challenge.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
From what I remember, line 1 and two were inverted.
A muslim cleric once told me a similar life attitude, though not as prayer:
If you see an injustice that you can correct, correct it.
If you see an injustice that you can't correct, look for help of someone who can.
If you see an injustice that you can't correct and don't find someone who can, give consolation.

Reactions: Frank Robert
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If your believe force to deny reality, than it is worthless.

And reality is changing with just about every thread started here on evolution, isn't it?

Upvote 0