Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
What is the aid for? I don't mean generally....I mean specifically, where does it go?

You can poke around the USAID site.

Increased Incomes in High Migration Areas
Based on U.S. Customs and Border Protection data on apprehensions, USAID has geographically targeted its programming in the Northern Triangle to focus on those communities whose residents are most likely to migrate to the United States, including the Western Highlands of Guatemala. From 2015 to 2016, USAID’s agricultural programming helped to increase rural farmers’ sales in the Western Highlands by 51 percent, for a total of $48.4 million. In FY 2016, USAID efforts helped to create more than 20,000 jobs in the agriculture sector.

Thanks to USAID support, the Public Ministry collaborated with the National Police on a largescale anti-extortion operation in six departments in June 2017 that yielded 69 arrests and confiscated an estimated $136,000, 400 munitions, 21 firearms, 19 cell phones, four motorcycles, six cars, and five bags of cocaine. The operation helped dismantle components of the Crazy Gangster and Vatos Locos criminal structures of the Barrio 18 gang. 160 arrest warrants were issued and charges were levied against those arrested, including attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder, extortion, illicit association, and acts of intimidation.

Or for complete lists of grants, Foreign Assistance.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You have still not provided evidence that illegals have stopped crossing multiple times. Or are crossing fewer times than they used to.

You haven't provided evidence they have crossed multiple times.

You want evidence without providing any for your own claims.

I didn't say it wasn't a problem. I clearly said it was in post #23. I'm saying the problem was worse previously, yet no one considered it a crisis, so it's hard to see how it can be a crisis now.

In what way was it "worse" previously?

I am explaining how the crisis is being manufactured.

Oh boy....

We had a system. Call it 'catch and release' if you will.

That's a generic description for how illegals are being released into the country and kindly asked to show up for court. It's not really a "system" just a consequence of laws already in place before Trump was elected.

But the detention centers were not overflowing.

Actually, that's exactly why they're overwhelmed lol. Once they are released....what do you think they tell their friends and family back in their home nations?

"All I had to do is tell them this and they just let me go and asked me to show up to court...."

Trump ended 'catch and release', the detention centers naturally filled up, and then the Trump Administration was forced to start releasing people anyway.

The only time "catch and release" ended is when the administration decided to prosecute everyone who crossed illegally....whether they brought children or not....

That only lasted a few months before everyone complained. That's really the only major or minor policy change Trump made. It was in response to the detention centers beginning to fill up....it was shut down by the left....but no new solutions have been created for the exact same problem that existed before child separation.

He dammed up the flow and then threw open the floodgates.

Evidence?

The 'crisis' is self-inflicted. Manufactured. Covfefe.

The surge of migrant families arriving at the southern border has led the Trump administration to dramatically expand a practice President Donald Trump has long mocked as “catch and release.”

With immigrant processing and holding centers overwhelmed, the administration is busing people hundreds of miles inland and releasing them at Greyhound stations and churches in cities like Albuquerque, San Antonio and Phoenix because towns close to the border already have more than they can handle.

For many years, families arriving at the border were typically released from U.S. custody immediately and allowed to settle in this country with family or friends while their cases wound their way through the courts, a process that often takes years.

Trump has railed against the practice, tweeting in November that it was over: “Catch and Release is an obsolete term. It is now Catch and Detain.

They don't show up for court....and worse, they're being trafficked in as indentured servants and other worse practices.

Your own article even contradicts you here...

"But in recent months, the number of families crossing into the U.S. has climbed to record highs, pushing the system to the breaking point. As a result, the government is releasing families faster, in greater numbers and at points farther removed from the border."

So what exactly are you claiming? That somehow if they were being released into the nation faster this wouldn't be a problem? What about this part of your article....

"In El Paso, where shelters and churches are at capacity and seats on buses headed out of the city are getting harder to find, authorities briefly resorted to holding migrants in a pen lined with concertina wire under the shade of a bridge that connects the American city to Juarez, Mexico. They closed the makeshift holding area over the weekend and moved the migrants to a place with more shelter."

All the shelters, churches and charities are overwhelmed. If these people all have "family" to live with here in the US....why don't they? Are we supposed to provide transportation for them to their choice of residence once they come across our border?

You don't seem to be making any sense here. Trump tried to stop the flow of illegals into the country by detaining them....and in your mind, that simply made it worse? The solution the whole time was to not detain them at all?

I wonder why so many people think that the left is for open borders.

Now instead of living with friends and family on their own recognizance, we're paying for their food and shelter. At least until the detention centers are full, and then the surplus is dumped en masse on the border towns.

We pay for them anyway....who are you kidding? We're importing poverty here.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
You haven't provided evidence they have crossed multiple times.

You want evidence without providing any for your own claims.

Hey, at least my evidence has one number being bigger than another number.

• Haha
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You can poke around the USAID site.

Increased Incomes in High Migration Areas
Based on U.S. Customs and Border Protection data on apprehensions, USAID has geographically targeted its programming in the Northern Triangle to focus on those communities whose residents are most likely to migrate to the United States, including the Western Highlands of Guatemala. From 2015 to 2016, USAID’s agricultural programming helped to increase rural farmers’ sales in the Western Highlands by 51 percent, for a total of $48.4 million. In FY 2016, USAID efforts helped to create more than 20,000 jobs in the agriculture sector.

Thanks to USAID support, the Public Ministry collaborated with the National Police on a largescale anti-extortion operation in six departments in June 2017 that yielded 69 arrests and confiscated an estimated $136,000, 400 munitions, 21 firearms, 19 cell phones, four motorcycles, six cars, and five bags of cocaine. The operation helped dismantle components of the Crazy Gangster and Vatos Locos criminal structures of the Barrio 18 gang. 160 arrest warrants were issued and charges were levied against those arrested, including attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder, extortion, illicit association, and acts of intimidation.

Or for complete lists of grants, Foreign Assistance.

Oh well then....since you like Time, let's see what they have to say about it...

How a Crisis in the Coffee Industry Is Pushing Guatemalans Out

So there's a couple of things going on in the Guatemalan highlands....coffee rust and climate change have devastated the agricultural community, with as many as 70% of the men leaving for the US (not fleeing violence, mind you)....and that isn't fixable, there's no short or long term solution for climate change anywhere.

The second is that other major coffee markets have been doing better.....which drives down the price of coffee, and profits. This is also not something we can fix.

So for the 50 million or so that you mentioned....we got an extra 20k jobs for Guatemalans in a dying industry, and about as many arrests that Chicago makes in a week lol. As far as I can tell, the only thing our aid does is give some people a sense of satisfaction that "they're helping those in need". That's it. We paid 50 million so some people can get a warm fuzzy.

We'd have to increase aid to Guatemala to the hundreds of billions before we could possibly hope to see them reach a point where they don't need to leave. Our aid does something between "nothing" and "almost nothing".

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I only ask Belk, because I know what seatbelts do....I understand the reason for them.

That's where the analogy fails.

Then perhaps you should familiarize yourself with what the aid is doing? Claiming it is useless because you are unfamiliar with the outcomes seems a poor argument.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
But of course.

The last president to honest tackle the Mexican illegal immigration problem was Eisenhower. His own immigration officials opposed him. He actually transferred all the federal border management officials from the Mexican border to the Canadian border and vice versa to dig out that opposition, but then the governors of California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas handed him his head.

The fact is that Mexican illegal labor is a multi-billion dollar industry. No president is going to disrupt that industry. They are all going to do nothing but huff and puff and point fingers.

If they were really serious, they would remove the cheese. That doesn't take any new laws. It only takes ICE making executive arrests at places like Tyson's Chicken.

We know that real ID and a few other employer based changes would cut down significantly on illegal immigration, but our own leadership here in Texas decided they did't want that. Apparently the threat of, say, a college student voting is worse than, say, a construction company owner not having access to cheap Hispanic labor.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0