an ex wants my forgiveness/friendship. Should I give it to him?

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The relationship was short, but in that time he put me through alot because he was going through alot and wouldn't communicate with me so I was always stressed out.
The other day he called and wanted to apologize and wanted to catch up and be the friend he said he would after we broke up and before he vanished for 6 months. He said he learned a lesson and isnt looking to date anymore (I dont want to date him either)
But should I put last year behind me and be a friend?
:confused:

Glenda

More, Lord.. More of You..
Sep 22, 2005
United States
Visit site
✟76,316.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your forgiveness.. yes.. friendship?? I don't know...

I know we must forgive.. because God says so.. We are forgiven in the measure we forgive.. so if we want forgiven.. we must forgive others..

Plus holding onto the hurt & hate only hurts you.. it eats you up inside.. I read somewhere that refusing to forgive is like drinking poison & expecting the other person to die..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Ah, what does our Lord Jesus Christ says about forgiveness and love?

We don't know your situation, and we don't know his situation.

But, are you strong enough to listen to your ex?

You can tell him that you forgive him and you can be friends again, but you don't have to have a romance again, and possibly be hurt again.

Just what you have said, it show that he has many problems.

Is he a Christian?

Blessings!

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Others have already said forgiveness is not an option. If you find it hard to forgive him then may I suggest praying and in particular pray that God gives you the strength to be just like Jesus and forgive despite what people did to him.

As far as friendship goes there is nothing wrong with that. It is your choice. Forgiveness does not mean there are no consequences. The consequences in this case might be that you can not be friends with him. I became friends with my ex after about four years or so of not talking or seeing each other. You may want to set down some ground rules for behaviour to make sure that if you become friends then neither of you step over the line. one can sometimes forget that what was appropiate may not be appropiate now.

Upvote 0

Ariel

Servant
Apr 4, 2004
West Texas
✟77,274.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Definitely forgive him. If you don't forgive there are terrible consequences. For one, you will not be forgiven by our Father, Matt. 6:14-15. Second, your prayers will not be answered, Ps. 66:18. Third, you will be tormented, Matt. 18:34.

If you have problems forgiving, welcome to the club. I think forgiveness is hard because we are so complex. We forgive on one level, but then another memory confronts us, and we are angry all over again. Just as an onion has many layers, so do we. We have to forgive completely--on all these levels.

So the best way to forgive, I've found, is to consider that when God forgave us, He gave us grace to forgive in turn. That is why Col. 3:13 says just as God forgave us, we must forgive others. Out of the abundant grace God gave us when He forgave us, take just a handful--and choose to forgive. Say it out loud, "I choose to forgive." Then give your situation to God, Ps. 55:22. Finally, ask your Father in heaven to take the hurt. He will.

This may take a while, as I said, we are complex. But every time those thoughts come up, go through those three steps again--choose to forgive, give the situation to God, and ask Him to take the pain. Eventually you will have forgiven--you'll be able to think about the situation without become upset again. It may take all 490 times Jesus talked about, but forgive and keep on forgiving anyway.

Jesus also counseled us to pray blessings. For a blessing you can pray on anyone, see Acts 3:26--that God would turn them away from iniquity (lawlessness).

As for being friends....I would be very, very careful. We are called to forgive, but we are not called to go back and be in an abusive situation again. Even Jesus went to the wilderness when He knew the Pharisees planned to kill Him.

Trust may be given freely the first time, but once it's shattered, it must be earned. It must be rebuilt, toothpick by toothpick, shard by shard. We must forgive, yes, but there is no reason to to back into abuse, or to trust so freely again.

Reactions: Glenda
Upvote 0