Mar 14, 2012
Gold Coast Australia
✟9,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ya know.....

It's hard to have an "intellectually honest" conversation with you when if you're going to try to ignore *your own* beliefs, and how they keep creeping into the conversation.

Michael I really want an intellectually honest conversation with you, so please point out these *beliefs* of mine that you insist I'm trying to ignore and I will address them for you.

You're a registered "atheist", apparently a rather
*evangelical* one at that, posting on a "Christian" website.

For a person who demanded with great passion that I had no right to pass judgement, you sure do NOT practice what you preach do you Michael?

Anyway when you understand why YOU do not confine yourself to the Christian-only sections of CF, you will then understand why I post on various theist forums.

You're quite intent on characterizing God as you see fit, based on whatever portions of whatever texts you see fit.

That is "a bit rich coming from you" Michael, you are just psychologically projecting yourself on to me again. Characterizing a God is a ploy for theists. You are the one characterizing God as you see fit based on whatever portions of whatever texts YOU see fit to justify YOUR concept of God so He can be excluded from MY claim. I'm simply claiming the Christian concept of God AS DEPICTED is not ALL-benevolent as per point 3. My claim is supported by considering ALL scripture. You are defending the position that God is ALL-benevolent. You support your position by rejection of some scripture.

I personally consider the method of rejecting scripture an intellectually dishonest method of forming an overall picture. You do not see it that way, that is your prerogative. I accept your prerogative, even if I disagree with it. But that does not justify you attacking my character and pushing your beliefs down my throat.

You absolutely do *lack belief* in the statements of Moses, <snip>

Your insistence to project your beliefs on to me is wearing thin.

<snip>or you'd have no reason to label yourself as an atheist.

I'm actually almost entirely agnostic, but if I use an agnostic icon that would create confusion among Christians, the reason I use an atheist icon is to prevent any confusion because I'm atheist towards anthropomorphic God concepts and Christians in general reject the existence of the other Gods. I neither believe nor disbelieve in the existence of all most all the other Gods. I just cant believe in the relatively modern Hebrew concept of a God on pure faith any more than you couldn't just believe in the ancient Hindu or Aboriginal concept of a God on pure faith. I'm open to believe and accept other concepts of a God, if one can convince me and compel me of a God concept with intellectual honesty and credible scientific or factually reliable evidence then I will gladly accept the concept. Keep in mind it is theism that creates the demographic of atheism. I contend you Christians are atheist towards more Gods than I am.

In the sense that I don't believe everything he said anymore than you do, we're not different in any way.

Baloney! I do not reject what Moses said and you reject EVERYTHING Moses said, we couldn't be any more different in this sense.

He's just another genocidal maniac from my perspective<snip>

That's YOUR belief don't pretend it is MY belief.

<snip> I have very *unique* beliefs compared to various other individuals, and until you allow me to *be unique*, your bigotry toward how 'I should' interpret the Bible is irrelevant to me personally. It's offensive, but ultimately irrelevant.

I sincerely apologise if I offended you. I respect the rights of people to form whatever concept of God they want and that includes you Michael. I will even fight for the right of my own wife and children to believe in God if they want.

My point is there is a crucial difference in the method between ignoring some scripture to form a God concept of that scripture and interpreting ALL the available scripture to form a God concept from that scripture. This is the essence of my criticism of you.

As I mentioned to you *early* in this conversation, *if* you acknowledged the need for a belief in "Biblical infallibility" *and* you "depersonalized" the issue in terms of *my* (beliefs about) God, I could see the logic of your statements.

But I do acknowledge the need for a belief in "Biblical infallibility" and why wouldn't I? I also did "depersonalize" the issue in terms of *YOUR* God way back in (#575) which you agreed to and you saw the logic in my claim when you agreed with my claim.(post #600)

What I see in your statements is a denial of the fact that not all "Christians" interpret the Bible exactly the same way.

I don't understand why you "see" that in my statements, because I do not deny the fact that not all "Christians" interpret the Bible exactly the same way. Not once have I denied this obvious fact.

Michael an evaluation based on ALL evidence at hand will always be superior to an evaluation based on omitting some of the evidence at hand, so as a result of my evaluating ALL the evidence of the God as depicted in the Bible, I have concluded that God logically can not be OMNI-benevolent or ALL-benevolent, just benevolent. If you deny my conclusion then we have to agree to disagree. Its that simple.

There is no need to be so upset over my conclusion, stop fabricating my beliefs, stop attacking my character, please just lighten up and move on from all this nonsense.

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since it was you who introduced the " humane Judge in a court of law" analogy to justify God instructing genocide, it was your interpretation I responded to.
But my analogy does not allow for such an interpretation.

My point was simply to show that the death penalty may be justified and may even be considered a benevolent act if the intent is to protect the innocent from such felons.

No one is punished for crimes/sins committed by their parents. That seem to be your own preconceived assumption about what I meant or about what the Bible says.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Michael I really want an intellectually honest conversation with you, so please point out these *beliefs* of mine that you insist I'm trying to ignore and I will address them for you.

You introduced your own beliefs in the opening assertion when you assigned me personal ownership of God. You continued to assert your own beliefs by insisting the OT is the only relevant texts from that book that can and/or should be used to determine the *character* of God. You're also asserting claims about the *character* of God based on texts that you personally selected. All these are *your* beliefs, they certainly aren't mine.

For a person who demanded with great passion that I had no right to pass judgement, you sure do NOT practice what you preach do you Michael?
Eh? How is pointing out the obvious a "judgement" exactly? I simply noted that you're a registered atheist posting on a Christian forum, attempting to describe the nature of "God" from a book that you "lack belief" in apparently.

Anyway when you understand why YOU do not confine yourself to the Christian-only sections of CF, you will then understand why I post on various theist forums.
It's not a question of not understanding your desires and motives, it's a question of noting that you're here on *this* forum, making proclamations about the character of something you apparently 'lack belief' in to start with. It's also relevant because you brought up this topic with *me* for some reason.

That is "a bit rich coming from you" Michael, you are just psychologically projecting yourself on to me again. Characterizing a God is a ploy for theists.
Then why did *you* start this conversation between us by attempting to characterize God? :confused:

You are the one characterizing God as you see fit based on whatever portions of whatever texts YOU see fit to justify YOUR concept of God so He can be excluded from MY claim.
And why shouldn't I? You're the one that handed me ownership of God, I assume because you were attempting to talk about *my personal beliefs* about God. Why do you get the luxury of ignoring the NT texts you don't like (red letter parts), and I don't? You can't run around applying two different sets of standards.

I'm simply claiming the Christian concept of God AS DEPICTED is not ALL-benevolent as per point 3.
And as I've been trying to explain to you it depends entirely on *who's* concept we're talking about. Doveman doesn't seem to agree with you either, and we don't even share many of the same beliefs with me as it relates to the value of the OT.

I'd grant you that you're getting *closer* to a statement *I* might be able to agree with, *if* you noted that your claim *requires* an *assertion* (on your part) and an agreement with that assertion (like in Doveman's case) that the OT is somehow infallible. If you would *kindly* admit that requirement, I might be able to meet you half way. As it stands, apparently you think only *you personally* get to interpret the Bible, and nobody else get's an opposing opinion regardless of their beliefs on these topics.

My claim is supported by considering ALL scripture.
If it actually *was* supported by *all* scripture, then you could find red letter parts that supported it too.

Your argument *assumes* that all scripture is consistent, which it's not, and all scripture is relevant, which again is *not* true for every Christian.

You are defending the position that God is ALL-benevolent. You support your position by rejection of some scripture.
Actually, I'm not defending anything, I'm simply pointing out the errors of your claims and the errors of *your* logic. You're asserting your claims based on *old* texts that have been replaced with a "newer' testament. From my point of view, your argument is a bit akin to me claiming that all forms of science are useless and unreliable because epicycle maths of the past used to assert the Earth was the center of the universe.

I personally consider the method of rejecting scripture an intellectually dishonest method of forming an overall picture.
Intellectual honest means giving others the same privileges you give to yourself. You're not doing that with me. You're picking only *old* texts to support your claims, and ignoring the obvious moral conflicts between the OT and NT as it relates to "loving your enemy" and "turning the other cheek'. You're just as selective as everyone else. You're also asserting something you don't even believe to be true. Since you lack belief in God, you must necessarily lack belief that God told Moses to do what he did. How can I have an intellectually honest discussion with you about these topics when you won't address these issues?

You do not see it that way, that is your prerogative. I accept your prerogative, even if I disagree with it. But that does not justify you attacking my character and pushing your beliefs down my throat.
The throat stuffing started the moment you assigned ownership of God to me, and then tried to use the OT of the Bible to support some belief that you hold about *my* (beliefs about) God involving some sort of lack of benevolence. Your throat stuffing desire has continued, even after I offered to agree to disagree. If you simply gave up you emotional attachment to *winning* some ego battle out of your argument, this would be a lot easier IMO.

In fact I have made it clear that I would even agree with you assertion *if* you would *admit* that your argument depends upon a 'belief' in Biblical infallibility. That's all I asked as well as to quit assigning me personal ownership of God (which you already did).

Your insistence to project your beliefs on to me is wearing thin.
Honestly? Go back to point three and reread it again. Your entire argument (as written) depended upon you projecting your beliefs about God onto me personally. Really. Go check it out.

I'm actually almost entirely agnostic, but if I use an agnostic icon that would create confusion among Christians, the reason I use an atheist icon is to prevent any confusion because I'm atheist towards anthropomorphic God concepts and Christians in general reject the existence of the other Gods. I neither believe nor disbelieve in the existence of all most all the other Gods. I just cant believe in the relatively modern Hebrew concept of a God on pure faith any more than you couldn't just believe in the ancient Hindu or Aboriginal concept of a God on pure faith. I'm open to believe and accept other concepts of a God, if one can convince me and compel me of a God concept with intellectual honesty and credible scientific or factually reliable evidence then I will gladly accept the concept. Keep in mind it is theism that creates the demographic of atheism. I contend you Christians are atheist towards more Gods than I am.
I've yet to hear you comment on any of the scientific materials I've presented in these threads.

Baloney! I do not reject what Moses said and you reject EVERYTHING Moses said, we couldn't be any more different in this sense.
If you didn't reject his statements, why do you lack belief in God again?

That's YOUR belief don't pretend it is MY belief.
You're the one trying to characterize God from OT commentary, not me.

I sincerely apologise if I offended you. I respect the rights of people to form whatever concept of God they want and that includes you Michael. I will even fight for the right of my own wife and children to believe in God if they want.

My point is there is a crucial difference in the method between ignoring some scripture to form a God concept of that scripture and interpreting ALL the available scripture to form a God concept from that scripture. This is the essence of my criticism of you.
Your criticism rings hollow to me because in the end you're doing the same thing I'm doing. You're fixating on text that you personally belief represent some sort of 'Christian' ideals about God, and attempting to judge God's character from that texts. You're ignoring the conflicts between even the "laws" Moses claimed were God's laws, and the *behaviors* of Moses. Moses claimed that God told him "Do not kill'. He killed *thousands* of human beings. Why do you pick the actions of a man as being representative of the will of God, rather than the so called "Laws" that Moses claimed were from God?

But I do acknowledge the need for a belief in "Biblical infallibility" and why wouldn't I? I also did "depersonalize" the issue in terms of *YOUR* God way back in (#575) which you agreed to and you saw the logic in my claim when you agreed with my claim.(post #600)
Well, then, I think maybe were done. So long as you *admit* that your argument requires a belief that I do not personally hold, I'm fine with your claims.

I don't understand why you "see" that in my statements, because I do not deny the fact that not all "Christians" interpret the Bible exactly the same way. Not once have I denied this obvious fact.
You've never given me that personal luxury like you've given yourself IMO.

Michael an evaluation based on ALL evidence at hand will always be superior to an evaluation based on omitting some of the evidence at hand,
I agree, but you left out the NT, and you left out the obvious conflicts between claiming "Do not kill" is the will of God, and then claiming genocide is also the will of God. Moses wasn't even consistent. Jesus was at least consistent.

so as a result of my evaluating ALL the evidence of the God as depicted in the Bible, I have concluded that God logically can not be OMNI-benevolent or ALL-benevolent, just benevolent. If you deny my conclusion then we have to agree to disagree. Its that simple.
Actually, I think if you're willing to concede that this conversation isn't about *me* or my beliefs, and your argument *requires* the belief in Biblical infallibility, I'd say your argument might have merit. I'll have to see how you do with Doveman, but I suspect it's going to be an awkward conversation for both of you. :)

There is no need to be so upset over my conclusion, stop fabricating my beliefs, stop attacking my character, please just lighten up and move on from all this nonsense.
Fine, but then kindly stop hijacking *my* thread now, and go over to the other thread Doveman started to continue that part of your conversation.

Assuming you are interested in discussing a purely empirically physical definition of God, you're welcome to respond to any of the other points I've made in these threads.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'll have to see how you do with Doveman, but I suspect it's going to be an awkward conversation for both of you. :)
LOL. :D

Yeah, reconciling the OT with the NT is always a challenge. But hey, if it can be done I'm up for the challenge. :)

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
LOL. :D

Yeah, reconciling the OT with the NT is always a challenge. But hey, if it can be done I'm up for the challenge. :)

I'd say that it depends on how one chooses to 'reconcile' the OT and NT. You're doing that quite differently than I did my friend. :) Good luck with that. :)

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'd say that it depends on how one chooses to 'reconcile' the OT and NT. You're doing that quite differently than I did my friend. :) Good luck with that. :)

Considering the wide variances in biblical interpretation etc., I would be surprised if there wasn't just as much variance in the task you describe.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Considering the wide variances in biblical interpretation etc., I would be surprised if there wasn't just as much variance in the task you describe.

I suspect there will be quite a bit of variation between Madaz and Doveman. :)

Upvote 0

madaz

dyslexic agnostic insomniac
Mar 14, 2012
Gold Coast Australia
✟9,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Michael remember it was YOU who challenged ME! I didn't start this.

My claim was based on the DEPICTION of the character not the actual character.

God (if he exists) could actually be all ALL-benevolent for all I know.

As far as the question of existence Mickey Mouse doesn't have to EXIST for one to make a truthful claim that he is DEPICTED by the Disney Company to be kind or brave.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Michael remember it was YOU who challenged ME! I didn't start this.

FYI, I would be curious in which post you think I "challenged" you exactly. I seem to recall a slightly different series of events and claims. :)

My claim was based on the DEPICTION of the character not the actual character.

Yes, now that you dropped the possessive pronoun, and you've agreed to the Biblical infallibility requirement, I'm comfortable that you at least have some hope of demonstrating your claim. I am curious how the conversation between you and Doveman works out, but at least I'm fine with the caveats that you've agreed to.

God (if he exists) could actually be all ALL-benevolent for all I know.

Me too. :)

As I said, I think with the 2 modifications that we discussed (no possessive pronoun, and Biblical infallibility requirement), you do at least have a shot of demonstrating such a claim. We'll see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

madaz

Mar 14, 2012
Gold Coast Australia
✟9,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
FYI, I would be curious in which post you think I "challenged" you exactly. I seem to recall a slightly different series of events and claims.
:)

This post. :)

So go ahead then and explain to me how the bible demonstrates that *my* (I still have no idea I suddenly ended up owning God) God is not omni-whatever.

Yes, now that you dropped the possessive pronoun, and you've agreed to the Biblical infallibility requirement, I'm comfortable that you at least have some hope of demonstrating your claim. I am curious how the conversation between you and Doveman works out, but at least I'm fine with the caveats that you've agreed to.

Me too. :)

As I said, I think with the 2 modifications that we discussed (no possessive pronoun, and Biblical infallibility requirement), you do at least have a shot of demonstrating such a claim. We'll see.

I'm a newbie debater and have yet to hone my skills, I'm aware I don't explain myself concisely sometimes (just ask my wife). :) I'm also dyslexic. You probably misunderstood my position so I can understand that is not entirely your fault.

Personally I believe in honesty, transparency, full disclosure along with skeptical and empirical enquiry. Doveman on the other hand is deliberately using devious tactics like distorting and misrepresentation, that style of debate I will not entertain.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Personally I believe in honesty, transparency, full disclosure along with skeptical and empirical enquiry. Doveman on the other hand is deliberately using devious tactics like distorting and misrepresentation, that style of debate I will not entertain."

Sounds like the same tactics used by the infamous; William Lane Craig

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
:)

This post. :)

Ah. I think if you check however, you'll find that you were making proclamations about "my" beliefs about God before that point in the conversation.

I'm a newbie debater and have yet to hone my skills, I'm aware I don't explain myself concisely sometimes (just ask my wife). :) I'm also dyslexic. You probably misunderstood my position so I can understand that is not entirely your fault.
For what it's worth, the dyslexia aspect seems to play no role whatsoever in the communication process, in fact that thought would never even have crossed my mind. If anything it makes you a *much* better proofreader than yours truly. :) That's not an issue.

In terms of the "newbie" aspect, you might take a gander at the communication stye of bhsmte sometime. He's somewhat "new" as well, but he does a much better job than I do at keeping the conversation clean, and devoid of a lot of unnecessary ego posturing. I think even an "old timer" like myself has things to learn from that type of communication style. In fact I'm impressed at virtually all the atheists that post here in terms of their ability to communicate their points without getting personal in any way. That tends to make the conversation "easier" and more easily heard as well.

Personally I believe in honesty, transparency, full disclosure along with skeptical and empirical enquiry. Doveman on the other hand is deliberately using devious tactics like distorting and misrepresentation, that style of debate I will not entertain.
I think you're going to have to "back off" in terms of automatically questioning the integrity of the other person on the other end of the conversation. In my *long* experience, regardless of the topic in question, there are often "honest differences of opinion" that come into play. I'm sure for instance that astronomers "believe in" things like exotic matter and exotic energy for instance. They are powerless to show the existence of such claims in the lab of course, but that doesn't stop them from "having pure faith" in these ideas, none the less. I realize that most folks are "honest", even if only to themselves at some deeper level of their own psyche.

IMO you'll catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar in most cases, regardless of the topic.

"Full disclosure" includes those red letter parts of the Bible too by the way. ;)

Upvote 0

madaz

Mar 14, 2012
Gold Coast Australia
✟9,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ah. I think if you check however, you'll find that you
were making proclamations about "my" beliefs about God before that point in the
conversation.
I certainly wasn't intending to, I did keep trying to tell you that yours or my
beliefs were irrelevant.

For what it's worth, the dyslexia aspect seems to play
no role whatsoever in the communication process, in fact that thought would
never even have crossed my mind. If anything it makes you a *much* better
proofreader than yours truly. That's not an issue.
My dyslexia plays a large role in my written communication process, even after
triple checking I still fail to notice my errors at times. Sometimes I have to
proof read a dozen times before I'm confidant that I have corrected all errors.
This wasted time could be better spent thinking about my post and improving my
articulation instead.

In terms of the "newbie" aspect, you might take a gander
at the communication stye of bhsmte sometime. He's somewhat "new" as well, but
he does a much better job than I do at keeping the conversation clean, and
devoid of a lot of unnecessary ego posturing. I think even an "old timer" like
myself has things to learn from that type of communication style. In fact I'm
impressed at virtually all the atheists that post here in terms of their ability
to communicate their points without getting personal in any way. That tends to
make the conversation "easier" and more easily heard as well.
Acknowledged and accepted, as a newbie (like an infant) it is the "stumbling"
that actually helps me to "walk", I have made the error of hastily posting on my
phone before the traffic lights turn green in other debates and that has back
fired on me, but I am confidant I will be able to "run" eventually.

I think you're going to have to "back off" in terms of
automatically questioning the integrity of the other person on the other end of
the conversation. In my *long* experience, regardless of the topic in question,
there are often "honest differences of opinion" that come into play. I'm sure
for instance that astronomers "believe in" things like exotic matter and exotic
energy for instance. They are powerless to show the existence of such claims in
the lab of course, but that doesn't stop them from "having pure faith" in these
ideas, none the less. I realize that most folks are "honest", even if only to
themselves at some deeper level of their own psyche.
IMO you'll catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar in most cases,
regardless of the topic.
Acknowledged and accepted.
"Full disclosure" includes those red letter parts of the
Bible too by the way.

"Red letter" means as much to me as *omni* means to you and full disclosure
includes the OT parts of the Bible too. :)

I'm going to move on now Michael, it has been an interesting discussion. I want to leave you with a couple of quotes from yourself to ponder on.

I understand how you feel, but it does actually say that.

That is "written in the book" by the way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Doveman on the other hand is deliberately using devious tactics like distorting and misrepresentation, that style of debate I will not entertain.
Actually, I was thinkng the same about you.

It's a good thing we are not married. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Universe Grows Like A Brain | Social Networks | Space.com

The eerie similarity between networks large and small is unlikely to be a coincidence, Krioukov said.
"For a physicist it's an immediate signal that there is some missing understanding of how nature works," Krioukov said.
It's more likely that some unknown law governs the way networks grow and change, from the smallest brain cells to the growth of mega-galaxies, Krioukov said.
"This result suggests that maybe we should start looking for it," Krioukov told LiveScience.

Upvote 0

Mr Clean

The Universe owes us nothing
Jun 2, 2013
St Louis, MO, USA
✟7,857.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican