Mar 2, 2013
✟290,653.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I appreciate that it is only now that they have decided to recognise Eastern Orthodoxy. They've only had four hundred years to do so and yet they haven't seemed so much concerned with us.

In all seriousness this reeks of an attempt to grab attention by shocking people. It's a shame that Orthodox Christians are reacting to this in anger which won't help but will only reinforce their ideas. The people at pen and pulpit have no intention of actually trying to understand how Orthodox operate on a day to day basis. They will continue to treat us as Catholics without a Pope which grossly oversimplifies the actual issues. Notice how in point five in their apology they link to an article by Coptic Christians as representing eastern Orthodoxy. I am sure they have had it pointed out but they continue to deliberately act in a manner which refuses to see actual distinctions. What hope is there for them to understand our theology if they aren't going to approach it with sincerity?

Pen and Pulpit wants to say that Orthodoxy has declared them damned, we have done no such thing since that is God's judgement and not ours. Anathematised cannot occur lest you are part of the Church and the reformers were never part of the Church hence they cannot be anathematised. Pen and Pulpit should let God damn people. Orthodoxy saying that it is the true Church is not an automatic declaration of hell for all those outside of its visible walls. For pen and Pulpit however if we do not bend the knee to Calvin and the reformation we are damned. If scripture alone is sufficient as they so plainly teach, just quote that to us, why do we need your human words which are additions to the Gospel?

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Meanwhile no protestant sect that has ever existed ever relied on the original koine Greek NT scriptures. I go into other subforums and just a small inkling of greek knowledge amongst their profesors, theologians and ministers would answer half their questions and would expose the other half of their beliefs as heresies.

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Don't feed the trolls. P&P is an obscure blog that has gotten press over the Bible Answer Man's conversion. If we ignore them and focus on the joy of Pascha they will fade away and chase after another story that pops up.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,315.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I thought it was hilarious. It sounds like something a pouty 16 year old would write, not a mature adult, and gives a far worse impression than anything we could write in response. May they continue to write such drivel.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I thought it was hilarious. It sounds like something a pouty 16 year old would write, not a mature adult, and gives a far worse impression than anything we could write in response. May they continue to write such drivel.

that's an interesting point. this could actually help peak an interest in the Church, in a roundabout sorta way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
that's an interesting point. this could actually help peak an interest in the Church, in a roundabout sorta way.
Except there are some responses from a Orthodox - that in their frustration - don't match what we should do as Orthodox...

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Except there are some responses from a Orthodox - that in their frustration - don't match what we should do as Orthodox...

sure, we always want cooler and loving heads to prevail. but this does get out the Church, and it shows how little Hall knows about anything outside of his beliefs, which is good for us. certainly, folks must respond with love, but I think this kinda stuff in the long run could help.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
and this was a pretty good line by line correction to JD Hall's blog post. I would point out to note how often Fr Benedict Simpson uses Scripture in his correction of Hall's posting, and how little Scripture Hall uses. I always find it ironic that those who scream sola Scriptura, rarely even come close to using the Bible as much as their own opinion. and forget about Christian history.

A Response to An "Apology" to the Eastern Orthodox Community

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read about 1/8th of it before I quit. Actually I found it hilarious. Why? They're obviously clueless about Orthodoxy. They called us an ancient religious tradition. Nope. We're THE Church. Secondly it's all hyperbole and silly nonsense.

The joy Pascha brought me frankly keeps me from getting mad at this stuff anymore. I was with Christ as He rose, I take His body and blood, I was forgiven by Him, and blessed with grace. I'm too happy, and I know the link was boloney, so I'm just fine!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I read about 1/8th of it before I quit. Actually I found it hilarious. Why? They're obviously clueless about Orthodoxy. They called us an ancient religious tradition. Nope. We're THE Church. Secondly it's all hyperbole and silly nonsense.

The joy Pascha brought me frankly keeps me from getting mad at this stuff anymore. I was with Christ as He rose, I take His body and blood, I was forgiven by Him, and blessed with grace. I'm too happy, and I know the link was boloney, so I'm just fine!!
I knew this thread would end well if Gurney engaged.

Christ is risen brother! Glory to God! I agree--everything else is just boloney.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

yeah, I think we should have an answer ready not because Hall is someone to take seriously, but seeking people might take the underlying beliefs seriously (under all that crass garbage)

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,741.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
pandp_zpsqfdyjjxo.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.