Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There's a reason why she will be the first Supreme Court Justice nominee in American history with school-aged children....
Here's the reason. Until recent years, the policy was to appoint elderly judges because they presumably were very experienced and wise, etc. With the presidents of more recent years, the tendency is to nominate younger and younger judges so that they could remain on the bench longer. It had nothing to do with their children.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Wow.... so this is where we are going with this nomination?

$100 says no senator is going to ask her about this.

Any takers?

No?

Then this is not 'where we are going with this nomination'.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Wow.... so this is where we are going with this nomination?

Maybe not. That is very despicable but the other day I was warned that her record as a Judge even if you are a conservative is not that great. She defended the Illinois lock down for instance based on this one old case that simply established the role of the state as far as public health (when that lockdown went beyond that).

Her law writing is also bland, unimaginative, mundane etc. This is bad compared to people like Scalia, Bork, etc.

Historically speaking there is big fight when the balance of the court shifts to one side. Anyway Barnes below suggests that most of coming attacks will be from her history as a judge, while most law makers who do not boycott the hearing, or walk out etc., will not go after her personal life but her work as a judge, paper positions as a law student etc.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Amy Barrett accused ‘adopted Blacks' to use them as props

Given the time constraints imposed on a full-time federal judge, how could anyone also serve as a proper mother to 7 children - presumably there is somebody fulfilling that role behind the scenes, but it isn't Amy Barret!

By having a good father/husband

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
View attachment 285286

Kendi wrote “Some White colonizers ‘adopted’ Black children. They ‘civilized’ these ‘savage’ children in the ‘superior’ ways of White people, while using them as props in their lifelong pictures of denial, while cutting the biological parents of these children out of the picture of humanity.” He continued, “And whether this is Barrett or not is not the point. It is a belief too many White people have: if they have or adopt a child of color, then they can't be racist.” He added, “I’m challenging the idea that White parents of kids of color are inherently 'not racist' and the bots completely change what I’m saying to “White parents of kids of color are inherently racist.” These live and fake bots are good at their propaganda. Let’s not argue with them.”

Who is Ibram X Kendi? Scholar slams Amy Barrett, says White colonizers ‘adopted Blacks' to use them as props

Wow.... so this is where we are going with this nomination? I didn't know it could get this low. It seems Kavanaugh might have gone through daycare after the Dems finish with Amy Barrett. Are you going to tell me they are actually going to drag those kids through the mud by calling their mom a racist?
I’m sorry but, who is this person and why should anyone care to defend their opinion here? It’s obvious the Senate is going to force ACB through to a lifetime appointment in record time, regardless of any objections from the other side, valid or not so why do you care so much what some random person on Twitter might think about her?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
$100 says no senator is going to ask her about this.

Any takers?

No?

Then this is not 'where we are going with this nomination'.
I bet an R senator brings it up and says "look at what all the D's are saying about you!"

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The conversation is entertaining. She is a shoe-in.
Anyone would be when the Senate is under the gun to put them through before the American public decides for them what they really want. Senate leadership can’t risk leaving it to the people to make these kinds decisions for themselves like they did in 16.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anyone would be when the Senate is under the gun to put them through before the American public decides for them what they really want. Senate leadership can’t risk leaving it to the people to make these kinds decisions for themselves like they did in 16.
The people elected a republican senate on 2016 and expanded it in 2018. This is what many of the American public want.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The people elected a republican senate on 2016 and expanded it in 2018. This is what many of the American public want.
Many, yes. Most? Probably not. That’s why the McConnell rule from 16 no longer applies. They simply can’t take the risk of leaving it to the American public to decide. How do we know there won’t be a mandate against the Senate this election?

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many, yes. Most? Probably not. That’s why the McConnell rule from 16 no longer applies. They simply can’t take the risk of leaving it to the American public to decide. How do we know there won’t be a mandate against the Senate this election?
What do you even mean, letting the American public decide? That's not how justices are chosen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What do you even mean, letting the American public decide? That's not how justices are chosen.
Correct. That was McConnell’s lame argument in 2016 for why they weren’t going to vote on Obama’s SCOTUS pick. There was no valid reason to not have a vote on Merrick Garland when that vacancy came up. Now the senators are seeing the writing on the wall that it’s not such a guarantee they’ll have a choice in this after the election so they have to take up a vote ASAP.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Correct. That was McConnell’s lame argument in 2016 for why they weren’t going to vote on Obama’s SCOTUS pick. There was no valid reason to not have a vote on Merrick Garland when that vacancy came up. Now the senators are seeing the writing on the wall that it’s not such a guarantee they’ll have a choice in this after the election so they have to take up a vote ASAP.
I don't see a reason for them not to have voted in 2016, but McConnell basically said he did have a reason. Whether that actually was a good reason or not, I don't know. I do know the Democrats would do the exact same thing if they were in the Republicans shoes, so you guys can't really call the Republicans hypocrites on this issue.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't see a reason for them not to have voted in 2016, but McConnell basically said he did have a reason. Whether that actually was a good reason or not, I don't know. I do know the Democrats would do the exact same thing if they were in the Republicans shoes, so you guys can't really call the Republicans hypocrites on this issue.
Actually we can because hypocrisy doesn’t depend on whether someone else is hypocrite or not. It depends on whether the action taken serves a double standard or not. The Republican Senate has shown an obvious double standard with denying Obama a vote on a court vacancy while just a few years later rushing though Trump’s pick in record time, against their own rule they created for themselves to follow and they aren’t even ashamed of it because they know most of their voters don’t care if they support hypocrisy as long as it serves a specific purpose. I hope it costs more than a few senators their re-election but like them, I also don’t have much faith in the American public.

• Agree
Reactions: Skewpoint
Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually we can because hypocrisy doesn’t depend on whether someone else is hypocrite or not. It depends on whether the action taken serves a double standard or not. The Republican Senate has shown an obvious double standard with denying Obama a vote on a court vacancy while just a few years later rushing though Trump’s pick in record time, against their own rule they created for themselves to follow and they aren’t even ashamed of it because they know most of their voters don’t care if they support hypocrisy as long as it serves a specific purpose. I hope it costs more than a few senators their re-election but like them, I also don’t have much faith in the American public.
I don't know. Like I said, McConnell had a reason; something about in 2016 it was a republican senate but democrat president, and this year both are republican.
You don't have much faith in the American public? Is this because you are afraid your side will actually lose, or because you think you are so much more holy than everyone else?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know. Like I said, McConnell had a reason; something about in 2016 it was a republican senate but democrat president, and this year both are republican.
You don't have much faith in the American public? Is this because you are afraid your side will actually lose, or because you think you are so much more holy than everyone else?
Self serving rationalizations, yes, he had those!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.