• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Amy Barrett accused ‘adopted Blacks' to use them as props

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by LostMarbels, Sep 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostMarbels

LostMarbels All-Lives-Matter

+3,587
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    upload_2020-9-27_18-29-33.png

Kendi wrote “Some White colonizers ‘adopted’ Black children. They ‘civilized’ these ‘savage’ children in the ‘superior’ ways of White people, while using them as props in their lifelong pictures of denial, while cutting the biological parents of these children out of the picture of humanity.” He continued, “And whether this is Barrett or not is not the point. It is a belief too many White people have: if they have or adopt a child of color, then they can't be racist.” He added, “I’m challenging the idea that White parents of kids of color are inherently 'not racist' and the bots completely change what I’m saying to “White parents of kids of color are inherently racist.” These live and fake bots are good at their propaganda. Let’s not argue with them.”

Who is Ibram X Kendi? Scholar slams Amy Barrett, says White colonizers ‘adopted Blacks' to use them as props

Wow.... so this is where we are going with this nomination? I didn't know it could get this low. It seems Kavanaugh might have gone through daycare after the Dems finish with Amy Barrett. Are you going to tell me they are actually going to drag those kids through the mud by calling their mom a racist?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. lasthero

lasthero Newbie

+4,301
    Seeker
    Are you reading the same quote I'm reading? He pretty much said he wasn't calling her a racist.

His point seems to be that adopting a white person adopting a black child doesn't automatically mean she isn't a racist, but that's a far cry from saying she is a racist.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+8,539
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    It's kind of an odd story. I figured that their People of Praise handlers told them to build the kingdom or something.

All I know is that in the picture of Barrett with two daughters behind her, her Haitian daughter looked disgusted and her biological daughter looked bored.

Maybe they are just thinking about all the activities they will miss babysitting their siblings while she lives in Washington six months of the year, but it could be something deeper.

Raising a child from another race and culture takes a special kind of sensitivity. These children must have the opportunity to interact with other families who will help them develop their racial and cultural identities. (For a Cliff's Note version, watch "This is Us.")

In addition, they had numerous obstacles they needed to overcome--leaving their homeland, learning a new language, getting used to a life of affluence, perhaps feeling guilty for the aunts and cousins and friends they left at home starving.

The Barretts may have done all of those things. I don't have any idea. I admire people who adopt children--but adopting two children doesn't make up for throwing 23 million men, women, and children off health insurance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. AvilaSurfer

AvilaSurfer Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,555
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    Yeah, she’s a horrible person. Let’s drag her through the mud because that’s what Christians do. How nice. Oh well, some of us can just be happy that she will be the next Supreme Court justice. Please whine loudly. I will enjoy listening.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. wing2000

wing2000 E pluribus unum Supporter

+9,804
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    ...I wasn't aware Ibram Kendi had any say over her nomination.....

Or are you just stirring the pot?

6. lasthero

lasthero Newbie

+4,301
    Seeker
    I feel like you're not reacting to what he wrote, but what you think he wrote.

He very clearly qualifies that he's not necessarily talking about Amy in his tweet.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. LostMarbels

+3,587
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    Honestly... right now I am searching Twitter poking around for the incoming attack we know is coming. Seems this is going to be all about Catholicism being evil/racist.

This is just a preliminary probe trying to see what is brewing. But 'implications' have been made.

1. You are not free from being a bigot jut because you are catholic

2. you are not free from being a racist just because you adopted black kids.

This seems to be the theme.

8. LostMarbels

+3,587
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    Oh... string the pot? So she is just going to be respectfully showered with love and confirmed without a single attempt to soil her reputation? I'm trying to find what it will be before it happens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+8,539
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Enjoy your approximately two months of wreaking havoc with a 6-3 majority Supreme Court.

As to her being horrible person, you can save that question for 23 million patients on the ACA after November 17 and see what they say. They will speak much more elegantly and passionately than I can, and they might even evoke a few tears from Republicans who have hearts.

We have alternatives, and it will be necessary to use them.

BTW, the NY Times is doing a weekly series on several decades of Trump's tax returns they've obtained. The teflon man may finally go down.

10. wing2000

wing2000 E pluribus unum Supporter

+9,804
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Oh, I'm sure you can find out plenty of conflict out on the internet. I'm not sure what value this thread adds here...

11. lasthero

lasthero Newbie

+4,301
    Seeker
    See, there's your problem, stop that.

Both of those statements are true. Being catholic doesn't mean you're not a bigot, adopting black kids doesn't mean you're not a racist. But they're far away not the same thing as saying that all Catholics are bigots and all white people who adopt black children are racists. The difference between the two sets of statements is pretty clear, and if you understand it, I can't see the problem with what he said.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+6,714
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Yep.

We can always find and elevate some scholar or state legislator who says this or that dumb thing to get all indignant about.

13. Aspzan

Aspzan Well-Known Member Supporter

+969
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    From my reading my main conclusion is that Kendi is a racist.

14. lasthero

lasthero Newbie

+4,301
    Seeker
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I really don't see how you could come to that conclusion based on an honest reading of his post.

I beg you - explain your logic. Walk me through it. His only real statement, boiled down, is that adopting a black child doesn't not automatically mean a white person isn't a racist. How does this simple statement make him a racist?

• List
  15. zippy2006

zippy2006 Dragonsworn

+2,142
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Do you honestly believe that? He singled out Barrett while getting on his soapbox about racist colonizers who adopt black children. Saying, "This might not be about Barrett," is like letting your pitbull crap on someone's lawn and then leaving a breath mint next to the poop as some sort of excuse for your action. Wake up, man.

This is like that time a "journalistic mistake" inaugurated the association of Barrett with "The Handmaid's Tale." (Will Democrats Fail the Amy Coney Barrett Test?)

16. LostMarbels

+3,587
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    Because we have the formation of what is being alleged against her coming to light. We know the conformation hearings are coming... what are those against her appointment saying?

upload_2020-9-27_19-16-10.png

17. Aspzan

+969
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    His first problem was bringing up race and his second problem was painting with a broad brush. Everything he said was racist. Also be less condescending in your reply next time.

18. lasthero

lasthero Newbie

+4,301
    Seeker
    He specifically said whether or not it applied to Barrett wasn't even his point. He only challenged that notion adopting black children automatically means a white person can't be racist. That's a true statement, and it's not the same thing as calling her racist. He made that quite clear in his tweet.

Lovely analogy, but no, it's not the same thing. It's more akin to the common 'I have black friends, I can't be racist' myth.

19. lasthero

lasthero Newbie

+4,301
    Seeker
    He wasn't painting with a broad brush. He very clearly said that doesn't apply to all white people who adopt black children.

• List
  20. Aspzan

+969
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Seems like a pointless statement to make. For all I know they're both racists. What is he basing his accusations on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.