Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I see what you mean. The answer is probably to be found in modern church history. When the protestant reformation began in 1517 AD eschatology was basically amillennial, although the term wasn’t used. Protestants never took issue with eschatology at that time. It was one of the doctrines they never felt needed reform.

However, in 1820 AD a powerful revival - the second awakening - came on to the scene with a new emphasis on premillennial eschatology. I don’t think that Charles Finney was premillennial, but simultaneous to this revival came a spate of borderline Christian end time theories. The classic examples were the Dispensationalists (1830 AD) and the Adventists. (1844 AD) These two movements have had a disproportionate influence on modern eschatology.

When the Fundamentalist movement developed in the early 20th century, they adopted dispensationalism as an article of faith, and branded it into the doctrinal statements of numerous modern Evangelical and Pentecostal denominations.

Hence the antipathy toward Amil that you are asking about. Fortunately, many are beginning to find their way back to a sounder eschatology.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think I see what you mean. The answer is probably to be found in modern church history. When the protestant reformation began in 1517 AD eschatology was basically amillennial, although the term wasn’t used. Protestants never took issue with eschatology at that time. It was one of the doctrines they never felt needed reform.

However, in 1820 AD a powerful revival - the second awakening - came on to the scene with a new emphasis on premillennial eschatology. I don’t think that Charles Finney was premillennial, but simultaneous to this revival came a spate of borderline Christian end time theories. The classic examples were the Dispensationalists (1830 AD) and the Adventists. (1844 AD) These two movements have had a disproportionate influence on modern eschatology.

When the Fundamentalist movement developed in the early 20th century, they adopted dispensationalism as an article of faith, and branded it into the doctrinal statements of numerous modern Evangelical and Pentecostal denominations.

Hence the antipathy toward Amil that you are asking about. Fortunately, many are beginning to find their way back to a sounder eschatology.
Thanks for the response, CG.

Not quite what I was looking for. I will try to be more specific.

I am curious what doctrines others believe are threatened by Amill. For instance, Amill. negates the doctrine of The Sabbath Millennia that is so often thrown in the face of those debating scripture. Amill. also negates the Dispensational Pre-Trib. Rapture.

Are there any other well-known doctrines that are negated by Amill. so as to make it a serious threat to the mainstream Christian organizations?

Clearly, it's an itch they are struggling to scratch.

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are there any other well-known doctrines that are negated by Amill.
The biggest ones would be the 360-day year and Daniels 70th week being sent to the future.
Btw, when asking your questions, bear in mind that there are two groups of amil. Partial preterists treat the Olivet discourse differently from other amils.

Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Btw, when asking your questions, bear in mind that there are two groups of amil. Partial preterists treat the Olivet discourse differently from other amils.
Thank you, CG.

I have heard/read that, but haven't fully integrated it into my understanding. I'll have to study up on that.

As far as I understand, I am not Preterist about anything. I don't believe the Great Trib., nor Jesus' return, has already happened.

And as far as the destruction of the Temple in 70 A.D., I believe Jesus refers to that in the earliest portion of Matthew 24, but I see a clear distinction there between it and the rest of the chapter where He is referring to His return and the Great Tribulation as well as the Wrath/Day of the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ok, if you want to study the regular (non-pret) variety of amil, put your money down and read Kim Riddlebarger. Top notch! :oldthumbsup:
It's actually in my queue to read as much of his stuff as I can find. His name keeps popping up in the right places.

Will do.

Upvote 0

owly

Sep 7, 2015
✟18,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My initial exposure to the Amil poz was through Kim's stuff. Have read a small number of other writers on the subject since. Latest two being Kingdom Come by Sam Storms, and Davis' The High King of Heaven.

Davis' book is my personal favorite at the moment. Some of that is his writing style.

I also find it interesting to come across an alt position on certain text/s which you haven't come across in the other books.

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Would you like a simple timeline of the Bibles end time prophecy? Here it is. From the beginning of The Age of the Gentiles, (the four gentile empires;) when Nebuchadnezzar first conquered Judea until Titus, the prince of Daniel 9:26 is 666 years. 597 BC to 70 AD, (no year -0-). The next emperor after Titus is the first of the ten emperors prophesied is Daniel 7:7,24, Revelation 12:3, 13:1 & 17:3,12. By the way, Revelation 17:11 is Titus.

The little horn of Daniel 7:8, 24-25 is the eleventh of the ten emperors following Titus, Septimius Serverus. From the first year of his reign, 193 AD to the end of the Roman Empire is 1260 years. That number is mentioned first in Daniel 7:25 in regards to the saints being given into the hands of that empire for that amount of time. Then also in Revelation 13:5, 12:6,14 &11:1,3. The Roman Empire and The Age of the Gentiles ended in 1453 AD. From that time forward the hundred plus chapters of Bible prophecy about our present free world began to come to pass. How and why? Because that is exactly when the Bible, for the first time in human history started to make its way into the hands of the general public, in their own languages. Plus, without the powers that existed being able to take it away from them. They certainly tried.

The growing free world is exactly what this prophecy said would happen once the general population began to gain access to the Bible.

Isaiah 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.19 The meek also shall increase their joy in the LORD, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel. 20 For the terrible one (kings, emperors, warlords, conquerors) is brought to nothing, and the scorner is consumed, and all that watch for iniquity are cut off: 21That make a man an offender for a word, and lay a snare for him that reproves in the gate, and turn aside the just for a thing of nothing.

Or just as this prophecy said:
Isaiah 55:10 For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven, and returns not thither, but waters the earth, and makes it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:11 So shall my word be that goes forth out of my mouth: it shall not return to me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.12 For you shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.13 Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree: and it shall be to the LORD for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.

in a few months my new book will be out. "The Bibles Prophecy About The Free World." It points out a bunch of the more prominent chapters of prophecy about the world we now live in and the failing resistance to the free worlds growth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums