Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
An oriental airline stewardess said: "I can manage English consonants but still have some trouble with my bowels."

(But her English was better than my Japanese, no doubt...)

Interesting (and somewhat comical) ... but given the way vowels are handled in Japanese (the vowel actually makes the letter) ... I'm surprised. They do have less a range than American English has though. I think we have so much influence from so many languages, we probably incorporate more sounds than most other languages.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting (and somewhat comical) ... but given the way vowels are handled in Japanese (the vowel actually makes the letter) ... I'm surprised. They do have less a range than American English has though. I think we have so much influence from so many languages, we probably incorporate more sounds than most other languages.
I may have confused Japanese with Chinese; I know that they are very different.

(Korean is different again.)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I may have confused Japanese with Chinese; I know that they are very different.

(Korean is different again.)

Ah yes, very much so.

I know maybe three words in Chinese, and maybe less in Korean. A little Vietnamese. I don't really like the tonal importance in some of those (from a learner's standpoint). But then Japanese is incredibly complex because of the way mental concepts of structure are applied to language.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah yes, very much so.

I know maybe three words in Chinese, and maybe less in Korean. A little Vietnamese. I don't really like the tonal importance in some of those (from a learner's standpoint). But then Japanese is incredibly complex because of the way mental concepts of structure are applied to language.
All I can say in Japanese is: Nihon-go ga wakarimasen! (I don't speak Japanese.)

• Haha
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My daughter used to like to create outrageous phrases and say them to Japanese people ... then they would look at her (her accent was quite good) and not know how to respond, thinking she had mixed up her words. She had a rather wicked sense of humor as a child ... ;)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My daughter used to like to create outrageous phrases and say them to Japanese people ... then they would look at her (her accent was quite good) and not know how to respond, thinking she had mixed up her words. She had a rather wicked sense of humor as a child ... ;)
Sort of like: "Who Bung Dung"? :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Japanese humour must be very subtle...

I'm not sure how well her sense of humor meshed with theirs. (She's American, was just learning Japanese.)

And offhand I've seen Japanese humor to be rather outrageous and sort of slapstick ... when it's used. I think overall there is much restraint. But I might not be the best person to comment in depth. I was pretty immersed, but surely there are nuances that escaped me.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure how well her sense of humor meshed with theirs. (She's American, was just learning Japanese.)

And offhand I've seen Japanese humor to be rather outrageous and sort of slapstick ... when it's used. I think overall there is much restraint. But I might not be the best person to comment in depth. I was pretty immersed, but surely there are nuances that escaped me.
So did you grow up in Japan? or did you have to learn the language afresh as an adult?

I'm sure many of the pitfalls and subtleties would take a longstanding resident to master.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sort of like: "Who Bung Dung"? :scratch:

My daughter also has a wicked sense of humour. When she got back from her first date with the Chinese man who is now her husband, I asked who he was. She replied "Oh Dad, it was just Sum Yung Guy."

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My daughter also has a wicked sense of humour. When she got back from her first date with the Chinese man who is now her husband, I asked who he was. She replied "Oh Dad, it was just Sum Yung Guy."
Reminds me of "Manolo", a euphemism in the White House.

When as First Lady, Mrs Nixon might hesitatingly ask President Nixon a question he preferred not to answer, he might reply: "Manolo, Mrs. Nixon has finished."

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So did you grow up in Japan? or did you have to learn the language afresh as an adult?

I'm sure many of the pitfalls and subtleties would take a longstanding resident to master.

I studied Japanese. I would not say I learned it. No, it is really far too complex, both socially and conceptually, for an adult (at least not me) to really become proficient. It is much more easily understood than produced. (It drove me a bit crazy - one example is that there are different words for counting numbers depending on what you are counting. Five sticks, five bottles, and five years will all use different forms of "five"). The social nuances are complex too, but not so bad.

I've forgotten entirely too much, which I regret since I worked so hard. It's been some years. I had a student last year, first grade iirc from Japan. I could no longer read or speak on the level she wrote/spoke on. Use it or lose it, they say.

I'm probably going to concentrate my study in Greek from now on anyway. Being surrounded by a Greek community helps at least. :) But my brain only holds so much anymore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I studied Japanese. I would not say I learned it. No, it is really far too complex, both socially and conceptually, for an adult (at least not me) to really become proficient. It is much more easily understood than produced. (It drove me a bit crazy - one example is that there are different words for counting numbers depending on what you are counting. Five sticks, five bottles, and five years will all use different forms of "five"). The social nuances are complex too, but not so bad.

I've forgotten entirely too much, which I regret since I worked so hard. It's been some years. I had a student last year, first grade iirc from Japan. I could no longer read or speak on the level she wrote/spoke on. Use it or lose it, they say.

I'm probably going to concentrate my study in Greek from now on anyway. Being surrounded by a Greek community helps at least. :) But my brain only holds so much anymore.
Fascinating!

So do you know if VP Spiro Agnew retained a knowledge of Modern Greek / Kathaervousa/ Demotikí?

Greek, too, has its stratified nuances. :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Fascinating!

So do you know if VP Spiro Agnew retained a knowledge of Modern Greek / Kathaervousa/ Demotikí?

Greek, too, has its stratified nuances. :)

LOL I know nothing about Spiro Agnew, no.

And maybe I haven't stumbled upon it yet, but so far I find nothing within Greek to compare to the many levels of nuance within Japanese. Could be ignorance on my part though. I'm starting with understanding what's in our Liturgy first (about an hour and a half spoken), the Scriptures as I work on them next (some overlap), with conversational modern Greek thrown in at the same time (against recommendations but so far it's working ok). I understand reading the Bible much better than I understand what people say, unless they are discussing very very simple things. My understanding is really very elementary so far, unless it's part of our Liturgy.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe. Do they grow in Canada or do you import ours?

Some hardy species of pecan will grow in southern Canada but the great bulk is imported. Now that that is out of the way, my remark was facetious intended to humourous.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0