Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My late husband was called a foreigner in Oklahoma and I was called a Southerner in Maine. Neither accusation was true.

^_^

Does English make you laugh?

A submarine sandwich, also known as a sub, wedge, hoagie, hero, grinder, or Italian sandwich, is a type of sandwich that consists of a length of bread or roll split lengthwise and filled with a variety of meats, cheeses, vegetables, and condiments.[1] The sandwich has no standardized name,[1] with over a dozen regional variations used across the U.S.[2] Larger submarine sandwiches, particularly those that are longer in length or overstuffed with greater quantities of ingredients than usual, are sometimes called battleship sandwiches or destroyer sandwiches.[3]

The terms submarine and sub are widespread and not assignable to any certain region, though many of the localized terms are clustered in the northeastern United States.
Submarine sandwich - Wikipedia

I don't care what you call it, but I wish I had one right now!

America is a pretty big country compared to many. Each region, section, state, however one wishes to divide and subdivide, has a different way of doing the same things others do elsewhere.

I am from the west coast, I grew up saying Soda. However, I find that places like Missouri for example, many people say "Pop" instead of Soda. They speak of the same thing but are said differently.

In the northern parts of Nevada, they tend to have a different dress style than Central California (or most California to be frank).

In Nevada and California, they say Nevada differently than New Yorkers or Texans. Nevada and California say Neh-va-duh whereas New Yorkers or Texans tend to say it Nah-vah-da.

Some places speak faster in conversations than others.

All this I find is just do to the regional trends, culture, etc.

When I was growing up people were fascinated (in school) with someone who came from Georgia due to how they spoke. Georgians probably (at that time) would have though a Californian to be down right rude by how they speak.

America is pretty big and has its own different "micro climates" of trends, etc.

China is the same way, just as Russia. It would be unfair just to single out America in this matter.

Cheers! Have a wonderful day!

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My late husband was called a foreigner in Oklahoma and I was called a Southerner in Maine. Neither accusation was true.

^_^

Does English make you laugh?
Almost anywhere is south of Maine. ;)

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am from the west coast, I grew up saying Soda. However, I find that places like Missouri for example, many people say "Pop" instead of Soda. They speak of the same thing but are said differently.
When I was a kid we moved from the Midwest to the east coast. We went to a club picnic and the lady asked me if I wanted a soda. I had no idea what she was talking about so I said, no, then went and asked my mom. She meant a pop. I went back and got some.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I came to the states at almost 9--I was born and raised in Costa Rica and had to learn the English language. At first one of the little Mexican girls was my interpreter--but they spoke Spanish at times quite differently. We were never allowed to use slang (in Spanish) and the Mexicans used a lot of it--at times I needed an interpreter for the interpreter! When it came to English my biggest problem was with the long "e" sound---as in sheet-----I had the hardest time with that and it would always come out with the shortened sound, as in "it"---I think you can fill that in. Beet would be bit. I used to practice that long "eeeee" sound a lot till I learned it. I also had to learn to quite rolling my "r's"---
Spelling was very confusing---bow (ribbon), bough (tree branch), bow (as in curtsy)--and how do you tell when to use which? Eventually I learned English well enough that I often won the spelling bees and spoke it better than most born and raised here. I learned it too well, I have trouble now with Spanish and forgot the pronunciation of it at times and it comes out with an American accent which drives me nuts, for now I sometimes forget to roll my "r's" when I speak in Spanish.

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh boy, We were having a church softball game one Saturday and our preachers wife ''Mirna'' was from the Dominican Republic . It was her first time ever at bat and she couldn't hit the ball so the pitcher came way in close, too close and I always call the pitcher ''pitch'' . So I said ''hey pitch back up'', Mirna looked at me and took a half step back , then she missed the ball again and I said again ''hey pitch back up'' talking to the pitcher then Mirna looked at me again kinda mean and took another step back. Then it dawned on me that she thought I was talking to her calling her the ''B'' word . I hollered ''time out'' then went straight to preacher Ray and told him what happened and to fix it. The man laughed for 5 minutes it seemed and I was so embarrassed , Then Mirna got tickled thank God .. ^_^

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
America is a pretty big country compared to many. Each region, section, state, however one wishes to divide and subdivide, has a different way of doing the same things others do elsewhere.

In the northern parts of Nevada, they tend to have a different dress style than Central California (or most California to be frank).

In Nevada and California, they say Nevada differently than New Yorkers or Texans. Nevada and California say Neh-va-duh whereas New Yorkers or Texans tend to say it Nah-vah-da.

Do people born and raised just east of Utah say Col-or-a-do or Col-or-ah-do?

I wanted my kids to play piano (pee-an-o), but then I heard someone say it was a pee-an-uh.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Oh boy, We were having a church softball game one Saturday and our preachers wife ''Mirna'' was from the Dominican Republic . It was her first time ever at bat and she couldn't hit the ball so the pitcher came way in close, too close and I always call the pitcher ''pitch'' . So I said ''hey pitch back up'', Mirna looked at me and took a half step back , then she missed the ball again and I said again ''hey pitch back up'' talking to the pitcher then Mirna looked at me again kinda mean and took another step back. Then it dawned on me that she thought I was talking to her calling her the ''B'' word . I hollered ''time out'' then went straight to preacher Ray and told him what happened and to fix it. The man laughed for 5 minutes it seemed and I was so embarrassed , Then Mirna got tickled thank God .. ^_^

Yikes! That could be dangerous when someone is holding a bat!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
When I was a kid we moved from the Midwest to the east coast. We went to a club picnic and the lady asked me if I wanted a soda. I had no idea what she was talking about so I said, no, then went and asked my mom. She meant a pop. I went back and got some.

If you ask for a soda in Florida or Oklahoma, there will be ice cream in it!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I came to the states at almost 9--I was born and raised in Costa Rica and had to learn the English language. At first one of the little Mexican girls was my interpreter--but they spoke Spanish at times quite differently. We were never allowed to use slang (in Spanish) and the Mexicans used a lot of it--at times I needed an interpreter for the interpreter! When it came to English my biggest problem was with the long "e" sound---as in sheet-----I had the hardest time with that and it would always come out with the shortened sound, as in "it"---I think you can fill that in. Beet would be bit. I used to practice that long "eeeee" sound a lot till I learned it. I also had to learn to quite rolling my "r's"---
Spelling was very confusing---bow (ribbon), bough (tree branch), bow (as in curtsy)--and how do you tell when to use which? Eventually I learned English well enough that I often won the spelling bees and spoke it better than most born and raised here. I learned it too well, I have trouble now with Spanish and forgot the pronunciation of it at times and it comes out with an American accent which drives me nuts, for now I sometimes forget to roll my "r's" when I speak in Spanish.

Hey, I was born and raised in the USA and used to avoid saying words like trough because there is sough which can be one of two pronunciations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yikes! That could be dangerous when someone is holding a bat!

Maybe anyone else but Mirna ^_^ , besides what she thought she heard was the farthest thing from my mind .. Ray and Mirna eat dinner at our house many times and she used to go to the beach with my wife . But I still shake my head at the mis-understanding ..Oh boy .. ^_^

• Haha
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Maybe anyone else but Mirna ^_^ , besides what she thought she heard was the farthest thing from my mind .. Ray and Mirna eat dinner at our house many times and she used to go to the beach with my wife . But I still shake my head at the mis-understanding ..Oh boy .. ^_^

I had a friend from the Netherlands who said she thanked her host and hostess for the delicious stuffed garbage!

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
A friend of mine was explaining some things to a patient of hers. We were both dialysis techs. And she had just recently married. It was to do about antibiotics for when there was an illness. The patient wanted to know if there was a certain antibiotic that worked better. And my friend said--"No, that depends upon the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] involved!" I nearly fell over and the look on the woman's face was priceless----she meant to say "organism"--My friend wasn't even aware if what she had said. I discretely took her aside and let her know. She turned 20 shades of red. I've never let her forget it.

• Haha
Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0