Am I weird?

M

Marycita

So my roommates and I just moved into our house this past weekend...and I've noticed a lot of differences between us...I mean I knew they existed before, but I'm noticing them more now.

We needed more cupboard space for our kitchen, so we decided to go find somethign that would work...and after looking at the store for a while, they decided we should get two huge bookshelves to use as pantries or what have you....I saw something that would work, and be cheaper, but we got the bookshelves because they would look nicer. Okay, fair point...but I just didn't give a crap....I thought that the money we spent on that could have been spent on things more needed I guess.

And my roommates have like new, perfectly matching bedroom sets, and me...I have a bed frame that I've had since as long as I can remember, a desk that used to be my sister's, a dresser that was my brothers', and for pete's sake, I forgot a chair for my desk, so I went to meijer and got a fold up chair....my room does not match at all...and none of my stuff is "nice"...and yet, I don't really care.

I never cared about going shopping every week when the styles change...I mostly wear jeans and a a t-shirt, and the t-shirts are the same shirts I had two years ago. I don't know...I just don't care if I am not wearing the same thing as all the celebrities...

I just don't see the need to always have the nicest stuff, or wear the trendiest outfits. I guess I just think my time, energy and money can be better used elsewhere...

Is that weird? Do I not take enough, like pride, in my things? I don't know...I just don't give a crap...I rather focus on other things than material posessions....and honestly...I dont' really think I need to right now..I mean...ha...I'm a poor college student...if I don't have the nicest things, there's my excuse...but really..I just don't care that much....In plus...I mean, I guess I just think it's ridiculous to be that picky about anything when there are people who don't even have a house, let alone a nice one with nice things in it.

Eh...I don't know..I was just thinking about that....and now I've rambled on for forever..anyway...am I weird?

plum

my thoughts are free
Nov 30, 2003
✟48,380.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
you sound like you have your head on straight :) If you don't care about that kind of thing, don't let it bother you what your roomies think or do. It may seem weird to others, but caring about "stuff" can just be distracting to real priorities. I've dealt with that some in my life (for instance, I really care about getting the absolute best computer possible when I purchase next month. should I spend that much? no, probably not...)

Upvote 0
M

Marycita

you sound like you have your head on straight :) If you don't care about that kind of thing, don't let it bother you what your roomies think or do. It may seem weird to others, but caring about "stuff" can just be distracting to real priorities. I've dealt with that some in my life (for instance, I really care about getting the absolute best computer possible when I purchase next month. should I spend that much? no, probably not...)
Oh ...thank you...

and I think it's understandable to spend lots of money on something like a computer...that's probably one of the few material things I would spend money on...haha....

looks are nice but performance is everything. if something works for you then dont worry what it looks like. to me looks are just a afterthought and if they happen to appeal to me then bonus.

very true...gracias Mark

Upvote 0
I

ImperialPhantom

Obviously you do care if you're posting it on this board. Why are you making an issue of what bedroom sets your roomies have, and what clothes they wear? You aren't better than them just because you spend less money than they do.

Why is this even on your MIND? You say you don't care. Well, let me tell you what not-caring is. My roommate has far nicer, more expensive stuff in his room than I do, and it's never been on my mind ONCE before reading this thread, and the only reason it is now is so I can use it as an example. He has nicer bedroom stuff, and I have nicer clothes (and the differences are pretty major), yet neither of us care. So please, don't pretend you don't care.

Upvote 0
M

Marycita

Wow.....maybe I should have made it more clear that I don't care that my stuff is not the nicest. I don't really feel like I need to have the nicest stuff...

But I guess you are right in a sense... I do care...because these past couple days I've been thinking a lot about it because of comments they make about their stuff...like even bread...my roommate refuses to buy anything that's not a certain brand, which I honestly think is strange, and overly picky...so it just got me on tangents of thinking about it....

And now I am making myself seem like a crazy judgmental brat but anyway...

I'll just shut up

Upvote 0

Teufelhund

Senior Veteran
Jul 29, 2007
Camp Pendleton, Ca
✟18,575.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Obviously you do care if you're posting it on this board. Why are you making an issue of what bedroom sets your roomies have, and what clothes they wear? You aren't better than them just because you spend less money than they do.

Why is this even on your MIND? You say you don't care. Well, let me tell you what not-caring is. My roommate has far nicer, more expensive stuff in his room than I do, and it's never been on my mind ONCE before reading this thread, and the only reason it is now is so I can use it as an example. He has nicer bedroom stuff, and I have nicer clothes (and the differences are pretty major), yet neither of us care. So please, don't pretend you don't care.
Dude, chill. I don't think she necessarily thinks she better at all. I think if not caring about things was normal. She didn't insinuate at all that her roommates' priorities were off, I think you have grabbed at some strand of something that irritates and dragged it out of this.
In answer to the question, I think that you're not weird at all, some people care about things like clothes and dishes, etc. I don't. I care about things like computers, alot, things like that, things I can tinker with, etc. It's just different interests I don't think being either way is better, just different, although I have been called weird so I'm not really a very good yardstick.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

Marycita

Dude, chill. I don't think she necessarily thinks she better at all. I think if not caring about things was normal. She didn't insinuate at all that her roommates' priorities were off, I think you have grabbed at some strand of something that irritates and dragged it out of this.
In answer to the question, I think that you're not weird at all, some people care about things like clothes and dishes, etc. I don't. I care about things like computers, alot, things like that, things I can tinker with, etc. It's just different interests I don't think being either way is better, just different, although I have been called weird so I'm not really a very good yardstick.
thanks.....and no.....I certainly didn't mean to make it seem like I thought I was better than anyone...

haha...you're weird...that could be a good thing...my sister always says it's better than being boring...so there ya go.

Upvote 0
I

ImperialPhantom

Why are you following me around the boards? Even SHE admitted that she cares a bit, so your whole point which assumes that she DOESN'T, is moot.

Upvote 0

Teufelhund

Senior Veteran
Jul 29, 2007
Camp Pendleton, Ca
✟18,575.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why are you following me around the boards? Even SHE admitted that she cares a bit, so your whole point which assumes that she DOESN'T, is moot.
First off moot means debatable, and no I'm not, I've just been conviently in two places where you've been a little nastier than necessary. She said she thought it was ridiculous but the point was not a negative one. I think you took the most negative view possible for the situation, which is unnecessary. But I think that it is a debatable what her intentions and I don't think it matters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

alfrodull

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
✟11,571.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I prefer function over fashion, as the saying goes. The only thing I really splurge on is technology, and even then I'm not really concerned with how it looks, like some of my friends are. (I mean, one of them refused to buy a Toshiba laptop, which hardware-wise he saw as the best option, on the sole grounds that they are "ugly.")

It's a good thing we have a mix of people though. Otherwise we'd either have a really ugly or really unfunctional world.

Upvote 0
M

Marycita

I prefer function over fashion, as the saying goes. The only thing I really splurge on is technology, and even then I'm not really concerned with how it looks, like some of my friends are. (I mean, one of them refused to buy a Toshiba laptop, which hardware-wise he saw as the best option, on the sole grounds that they are "ugly.")

It's a good thing we have a mix of people though. Otherwise we'd either have a really ugly or really unfunctional world.
haha...that last bit made me chuckle...

Upvote 0

Love233

Aug 15, 2007
✟12,182.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
So my roommates and I just moved into our house this past weekend...and I've noticed a lot of differences between us...I mean I knew they existed before, but I'm noticing them more now.

We needed more cupboard space for our kitchen, so we decided to go find somethign that would work...and after looking at the store for a while, they decided we should get two huge bookshelves to use as pantries or what have you....I saw something that would work, and be cheaper, but we got the bookshelves because they would look nicer. Okay, fair point...but I just didn't give a crap....I thought that the money we spent on that could have been spent on things more needed I guess.

And my roommates have like new, perfectly matching bedroom sets, and me...I have a bed frame that I've had since as long as I can remember, a desk that used to be my sister's, a dresser that was my brothers', and for pete's sake, I forgot a chair for my desk, so I went to meijer and got a fold up chair....my room does not match at all...and none of my stuff is "nice"...and yet, I don't really care.

I never cared about going shopping every week when the styles change...I mostly wear jeans and a a t-shirt, and the t-shirts are the same shirts I had two years ago. I don't know...I just don't care if I am not wearing the same thing as all the celebrities...

I just don't see the need to always have the nicest stuff, or wear the trendiest outfits. I guess I just think my time, energy and money can be better used elsewhere...

Is that weird? Do I not take enough, like pride, in my things? I don't know...I just don't give a crap...I rather focus on other things than material posessions....and honestly...I dont' really think I need to right now..I mean...ha...I'm a poor college student...if I don't have the nicest things, there's my excuse...but really..I just don't care that much....In plus...I mean, I guess I just think it's ridiculous to be that picky about anything when there are people who don't even have a house, let alone a nice one with nice things in it.

Eh...I don't know..I was just thinking about that....and now I've rambled on for forever..anyway...am I weird?
Oh gosh dude, you sound like me! :ebil: someone agrees... though on the same note, I'm not exactly practical. People that are so bent on buying new shoes every other annoy me to no end! like Oh my (gosh) I broke a nail, oh the world is coming to an end!:doh: ...Grr! I totally feel for ya.

Upvote 0

Love233

Aug 15, 2007
✟12,182.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
Oh gosh dude, you sound like me! :ebil: someone agrees... though on the same note, I'm not exactly practical. People that are so bent on buying new shoes every other day annoy me to no end! like Oh my (gosh) I broke a nail, oh the world is coming to an end!:doh: ...Grr! I totally feel for ya.
...fotgot a word:sorry:

Upvote 0