Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

This Thread Has Been Cleaned

full

This thread has problems that were removed

Some brief back and forth arguing that was flaming. Please be careful when disagreeing not to resort to personal flaming. This includes saying bad things about a person's faith.

If your post has been removed, it was either in violation or quoting another post that was. Please remember the no-flaming rule of the forum and to stay on topic to the original topic. Please treat each other with respect, including during debates.

The full list of site rules can be found here.

Further issues with this thread may result in further cleans, a permanent shut down, and member staff actions.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,496.00
Faith
Christian
What scares me is that a majority of people who teach that if you just rely on Jesus' sacrifice as the payment for your sins, you will go to Heaven, but they later become atheists or commit big sins. We get salvation from God through faith in Jesus (John 3:16, Acts 16:31, Eph. 2:8-9...)
I, too, trust (in my mind!) that Jesus died to pay the death penalty for my sins, was buried and resurrected. Will I have to turn from sin, commit myself to the lordship of God, be more penitent for my sins, or/and be more sincere in my faith to be saved? Am I saved?

Concerning those who depart from the faith it is written, "They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us." 1John 2:19 Thus such people were never saved to begin with.

But many sects have changed the gospel into that which is not the gospel, namely the idea that salvation is contingent upon complying to law, whatever particular law they read into the Bible.

Is it as Paul says, "What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather, discovered in this matter? If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about— but not before God. What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works: "Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him." Rom 4:1-8

OR is it that a person's salvation is contingent upon them not sinning, which is the curse of the law. "All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." Gal 3:10

Paul writes, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." Rom 8:1,2 The law of sin and death is that you lose your salvation every time you sin, which is gospel that many Christians have put their faith in. Thus for salvation they trust in saving themselves rather then trusting in Christ to save them.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Concerning those who depart from the faith it is written, "They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us." 1John 2:19 Thus such people were never saved to begin with.

Is a man saved by faith? You say these 'departed' from the faith. Were these not saved by faith? Perhaps you say it is faith, plus something else. Is salvation by faith and not departing from it? Or perhaps you say salvation is faith and belonging to a certain group.

But many sects have changed the gospel into that which is not the gospel, namely the idea that salvation is contingent upon complying to law, whatever particular law they read into the Bible.

Do you not know the true Gospel Jesus preached?

Luke 10
25 And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 He said to him, “What is written in the law? What is your reading of it?”
27 So he answered and said, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’”
28 And He said to him, “You have answered rightly; do this and you will live.”

Jesus said to do this (what was written in the law), and YOU WILL LIVE! Why is it so difficult for anyone to understand this? Do you think Jesus was lying to us? Do you think He was trying to deceive us?

Is it as Paul says, "What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather, discovered in this matter? If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about— but not before God. What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works: "Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him." Rom 4:1-8

OR is it that a person's salvation is contingent upon them not sinning, which is the curse of the law. "All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." Gal 3:10

Paul writes, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." Rom 8:1,2 The law of sin and death is that you lose your salvation every time you sin, which is gospel that many Christians have put their faith in. Thus for salvation they trust in saving themselves rather then trusting in Christ to save them.

This is not the Gospel Jesus preached. Check it for yourself. If you are going to believe 'a gospel', believe the Gospel Jesus preached.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,496.00
Faith
Christian
Is a man saved by faith? You say these 'departed' from the faith. Were these not saved by faith? Perhaps you say it is faith, plus something else. Is salvation by faith and not departing from it? Or perhaps you say salvation is faith and belonging to a certain group.

Do you not know the true Gospel Jesus preached?

Luke 10
25 And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 He said to him, “What is written in the law? What is your reading of it?”
27 So he answered and said, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’”
28 And He said to him, “You have answered rightly; do this and you will live.”

Jesus said to do this (what was written in the law), and YOU WILL LIVE! Why is it so difficult for anyone to understand this? Do you think Jesus was lying to us? Do you think He was trying to deceive us?

This is not the Gospel Jesus preached. Check it for yourself. If you are going to believe 'a gospel', believe the Gospel Jesus preached.

Paul was sent personally by Jesus Christ to preach the gospel, the gospel he got personally from Jesus Christ. (Gal 1:11,12) But you reject the gospel Paul preached which is "the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes."

Jesus response to the lawyer in Luke 10 is the same as how Paul starts out his gospel in Romans, showing the difficiency of the law to justify. For "All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith." Gal 3:10:11 Before a person can receive the gospel of grace they must recognize that they fall short of the law, that while one can be justified by law if they keep it, in fact no one keeps it. Thus Paul writes,

"Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Rom 3:20-24

Ask yourself, if your salvation is contingent upon continually loving God with ALL (not 90%) of your heart, mind, soul and strength and loving your neighbor as yourself, do you do that perfectly? And if you are so unaware of how far short of the perfect standard of the law you are and claim sinless perfection, that, as Jesus said likewise to the rich young ruler, try selling all you have and giving to the poor. Or doing everything else the law says. Still not convicted of sin? Then the judgment day will reveal to you what a sinner you are.

As for 1John 2:19 obviously John is alluding to their faith not being genuine, much as the "circumcision" of Acts 15 who said, "unless you are circumcised, according to the custom taught by Moses, you cannot be saved." of whom Paul wrote in Gal 2:4 "This matter arose because some false brothers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves."

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Ask yourself, if your salvation is contingent upon continually loving God with ALL (not 90%) of your heart, mind, soul and strength and loving your neighbor as yourself, do you do that perfectly?
Jesus said to.
Did Jesus lie ?
HE said it is necessary.
Did He lie ?

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,496.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus said to.
Did Jesus lie ?
HE said it is necessary.
Did He lie ?

Again my point, and Jesus' point is "do you?" If you fail to live up to the perfect standard of the Law, then you're not qualified to be saved by the Law. Are you a "good" person. No one is good but God.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Again my point, and Jesus' point is "do you?" If you fail to live up to the perfect standard of the Law, then you're not qualified to be saved by the Law. Are you a "good" person. No one is good but God.
It looks like you just mixed messages in this short post.
i.e. different comparisons/ directions. Like went from apples to oranges.
I'm not sure since you didn't answer the question but (apparently ) changed to a different subject.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul was sent personally by Jesus Christ to preach the gospel, the gospel he got personally from Jesus Christ. (Gal 1:11,12) But you reject the gospel Paul preached which is "the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes."

I am truly amazed how many 'Christians' dismiss the truth in the words of the Savior Himself.

If I say I personally got the words of Jesus concerning salvation, would you agree with what I say? What if I say I was personally sent to you to preach the Gospel I personally received by visions, would you believe me?

Do you reject the Gospel Jesus preached? Maybe you need to read the truth Jesus preached and see for yourself whether it is the same as Paul's Gospel. Paul actually called it 'my' gospel (Romans 2:16, 16:25, 2 Timothy 2:8).

No one else says it is 'my' gospel. No preacher today says that. If I said to listen to and heed 'my' gospel, you would run from it as fast as you can. Yet, you take Paul's gospel and run with it.

Jesus response to the lawyer in Luke 10 is the same as how Paul starts out his gospel in Romans, showing the difficiency of the law to justify. For "All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith." Gal 3:10:11 Before a person can receive the gospel of grace they must recognize that they fall short of the law, that while one can be justified by law if they keep it, in fact no one keeps it. Thus Paul writes,

Many, many people were justified by the law. Perhaps the OT is not your forte.

Let me help you here. Look us H6662 in Strong's and tell me how many times you see 'just' and 'righteous' used in the OT. To say no one was justified by the law, is bordering on ignorance.

"Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."
Rom 3:20-24

Again, many were declared righteous by the law. I wonder where Paul got his doctrine. He even said he was blameless concerning the law. John and Elisabeth were also righteous.

Luke 1
5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the division of Abijah. His wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth.
6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in ALL the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

One has to wonder about Paul's source for his statements.

Ask yourself, if your salvation is contingent upon continually loving God with ALL (not 90%) of your heart, mind, soul and strength and loving your neighbor as yourself, do you do that perfectly? And if you are so unaware of how far short of the perfect standard of the law you are and claim sinless perfection, that, as Jesus said likewise to the rich young ruler, try selling all you have and giving to the poor. Or doing everything else the law says. Still not convicted of sin? Then the judgment day will reveal to you what a sinner you are.

Do you think you can be saved by hating the Lord? Can you have faith only and yet hate the Lord and be saved?

Perhaps repentance isn't one of your fortes either. Do you know why repentance is required?

As for 1John 2:19 obviously John is alluding to their faith not being genuine, much as the "circumcision" of Acts 15 who said, "unless you are circumcised, according to the custom taught by Moses, you cannot be saved." of whom Paul wrote in Gal 2:4 "This matter arose because some false brothers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves."

So now you are requiring faith to be something other than faith alone. What makes a faith genuine? I would like to know what you add to faith to make it genuine.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Paul's gospel is not different than Jesus' gospel -
and
whenever anyone rejects Paul, they have already rejected Jesus. (I used to think they did not reject Jesus for up to a year, but it turns out they cannot reject Paul unless they have already rejected Jesus, as Jesus said in the first four books of the New Testament) ....

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul's gospel is not different than Jesus' gospel -
and
whenever anyone rejects Paul, they have already rejected Jesus. (I used to think they did not reject Jesus for up to a year, but it turns out they cannot reject Paul unless they have already rejected Jesus, as Jesus said in the first four books of the New Testament) ....

Then show me where Jesus said His Gospel was His death, burial, and resurrection.

Your theory about rejecting Jesus is pure rubbish. Who taught you this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

more4less

Nov 23, 2016
Houston Tx
✟29,971.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What scares me is that a majority of people who teach that if you just rely on Jesus' sacrifice as the payment for your sins, you will go to Heaven, but they later become atheists or commit big sins. We get salvation from God through faith in Jesus (John 3:16, Acts 16:31, Eph. 2:8-9...)
I, too, trust (in my mind!) that Jesus died to pay the death penalty for my sins, was buried and resurrected. Will I have to turn from sin, commit myself to the lordship of God, be more penitent for my sins, or/and be more sincere in my faith to be saved? Am I saved?

If you believes in Him, that you will do as He has said. He said to do not worry about this life, that there will be a time that all of this, the old order of things will be gone. No more suffering, wars and hatred. But it is all up to us to believe Him about this kingdom will come. And so there is no need for us to go on trying to keep this life, to enjoy it to the fullest, because we believes in our hearts that we has only one life to live and we should live it to its fullest, at this moment. And so, do not worry if someone tries to sued you for everything that you have, and or take everything away from you and you become poor. But don't worry, because there is the kingdom. But that if you believes Him. That is why the Righteous has to live by faith, because to build up their trust in Him.

Revelation 21:4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Lk 6:46 "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?"

Is it possible for one to trust in Christ without doing what Christ said? No. Can one even call Jesus "Lord" without doing what Christ said? No. Trust in Christ is not a mere mental assent of the mind but means doing what Christ said.

Upvote 0