Rasmus2

Nov 16, 2016
Finland
✟9,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What scares me is that a majority of people who teach that if you just rely on Jesus' sacrifice as the payment for your sins, you will go to Heaven, but they later become atheists or commit big sins. We get salvation from God through faith in Jesus (John 3:16, Acts 16:31, Eph. 2:8-9...)
I, too, trust (in my mind!) that Jesus died to pay the death penalty for my sins, was buried and resurrected. Will I have to turn from sin, commit myself to the lordship of God, be more penitent for my sins, or/and be more sincere in my faith to be saved? Am I saved?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
From your post, you are not saved yet.
Yes,TRUE repentance is necessary, permanently. (not just "try it for a few weeks" or anything like that).

I, too, trust (in my mind!) that Jesus died to pay the death penalty for my sins, was buried and resurrected. Will I have to turn from sin, commit myself to the lordship of God, be more penitent for my sins, or/and be more sincere in my faith to be saved? Am I saved?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What scares me is that a majority of people who teach that if you just rely on Jesus' sacrifice as the payment for your sins, you will go to Heaven, but they later become atheists or commit big sins. We get salvation from God through faith in Jesus (John 3:16, Acts 16:31, Eph. 2:8-9...)
The point is that God see the heart. Assurance of salvation through faith in the Lord Jesus is a great theme of John's First Epistle; only 5 chapters but so worth reading.

Upvote 0

smithed64

To Die is gain, To Live is Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟41,497.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Trust in your mind, know in your heart.

Your right, many are falling away. Question is, where they saved in the first place. Were they stony ground hearers, which hear the word and believe but it doesn't take root and then it withers and dies. Did they get saved for the wrong motives? were they told to accept jesus, so that you can have a good life and everything will be ok. And then when the promised trials and tribulations come, they throw it down and become bitter and don't want anything else to do with them

If you have repented of your sins. That means you turned away from your sins. Trust that Jesus said He'd do what He said He'd do and that is to forgive you of your sins, and to remember them no more.
Jesus said we are to deny ourselves and pick up the cross. We are to be dead to this world and alive in Christ.

Remember, we are saved by Grace alone, thru faith alone. By Jesus alone. If you are concerned about your salvation, that could be a good thing. Because you know that you have to have Him. You know you need Him, You know that you are to deny yourself. Trust in that drawing to Him from God, pray, ask for forgiveness and He is just and righteous to forgive you.

Then to be assured of your salvation, thru works of faith, prayer, reading His Word daily and assembling with others who are Born Again.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

You say you want a revolution? **cough**
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Rasmus,

What we have to "do" is have faith in Christ, and a part of our faith is seen in both our willingness to wrestle with our sin(s) and our perseverance in trusting Him.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution

Turn away from sin.

Here are a few mysteries, the sheep and the goats, Jesus did not find himself in the goats.
That means you need to be like Jesus.

There is a mystery of Grace, consider Grace rather, as empowerment.
Have faith in Grace and be Holy. You cannot expect to be Holy in your own ability.

There are a ton of mysteries regarding the heart, but I would simply say, the least of all sins is a means for death.

Just do your best, don't think sinning is okay. The lot of all acts of love is a means for reward, and the least of all sins is a means for death, and shape yourself to be like Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're saved if you believe in Christ.

Everyone who tells you different preaches a "different gospel". Believe and be saved. Good works will follow, if they don't, you haven't truly believed.
But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
James 2:18‭-‬19 NIV

What are your thoughts on this scripture? If someone believes in Jesus and refuses to submit to His Lordship, how are they any different from Demons? At least demons believe and tremble as opposed to someone who believes and lives their life unchanged without reverence for the Lord.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Rasmus2

Nov 16, 2016
Finland
✟9,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What are your thoughts on this scripture? If someone believes in Jesus and refuses to submit to His Lordship, how are they any different from Demons? At least demons believe and tremble as opposed to someone who believes and lives their life unchanged without reverence for the Lord.
Someone who is truly saved will follow Christ (John 10:27). And how is believing without reverence for God? Believing is all about God. It's trusting that Jesus died for my sins, Jesus was buried and Jesus rose from the dead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Receiving LIFE from YHWH in Y'SHUA is absolutely extravagantly and super-generously FREE by YHWH'S CHOICE, given without limit(measure) and cannot be earned !
Keep reading SCRIPTURE (YHWH'S WORD) to see HIS requirements.
The Parable of the Sower doesn't mention believing, but receiving with joy.

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Because my former posts probably haven't been to helpful for you, here's something that might. It's been helpful to me anyway.

1 John 3:14 1 John 4:7 and much of first John.

Upvote 0

Rasmus2

Nov 16, 2016
Finland
✟9,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Someone believes in Jesus, once, they're saved, they're sealed with the Holy Spirit and they have eternal life and have a guarantee they're going to heaven?

This is the most important thing in my life so I want to be completely sure.
Is believing in Jesus in John 6:47 the same as believing the gospel in 1 Cor. 15:1-4 ? And can I lose this eternal life once I have it?

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Is believing in Jesus in John 6:47 the same as believing the gospel in 1 Cor. 15:1-4 ? And can I lose this eternal life once I have it?
Yes to the first, but a part of trusting in Christ is trusting in his sacrifice to pay for your sins. When someone trusts in Christ (truly), they trust in his sacrifice as well. If you don't fully understand what his sacrifice means, don't worry, neither did the people who believed on him before it was explained/revealed. Yet scripture states clearly that they too ate his flesh, John 6:53 and John 6:47

And no, you can not lose eternal life once you have it. Jesus says those who believe on him have eternal life. You either have it eternally, or you don't. People on here somehow try and stretch that meaning, but you have to understand it's because their hearts are hardened on other doctrine and things in their mind that are convinced there is no such thing as eternal security. They'll attempt to stretch it even though it's very clear. Don't pay them any heed.

Join a church that stays true to this doctrine, I recommend a Baptist one. Talk to a pastor. Online for someone in your spot can be a headache.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The question is this. Who do you believe Jesus to be in your life? Do you believe he is your Savior, Lord, or both? If you say both, what are you doing to make Jesus "Lord" in your life? Do you obey His word and follow His commandments with reverence? Or do you look at His as a buddy who saved you so you can live your life in sin unaffected thinking that their will be no consequences? This is a question we all need to ask ourselves.

Upvote 0