Am I a bad person because I don't believe in eternal hell?

jcm2000

Jan 25, 2017
oklahoma
✟18,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You need to study this issue more. A high priest does not forgive personal sins. A high priest had one function and one only - to offer Yom Kippur (Leviticus 16) on the day of Yom Kippur. In Hebrews 7-10, Jesus is shown to be the Great High Priest who offers not an animal sacrifice for the corporate sins of the nation, but rather His own Blood, the perfect Sacrifice. This is why the Church cannot break its covenant with God, because the Great High Priest makes an eternal Yom Kippur in the "tabernacle not made with hands in the heavenlies."

Go study Hebrews 7-10 and you will see that this is what is being spoken of. You cannot mix the two offices.
Are you saying Jesus did not make atonement for personal sins?

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it does. The parallelism in the verse makes this unavoidably clear.

Take your own advice. I have studied the passage and know whereof I speak. Can't say the same for you.

I don't subscribe to this view. Are not nations constituted of individuals? Why isn't it the "righteous nations" not simply "the righteous" who answer Christ, wondering when it was they ministered to him? Why does the section conclude, not with "And these nations will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous nations into eternal life", but rather just, "And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life"? How is a nation cast into everlasting punishment without the individuals that constitute it begin cast into such punishment, too? It seems to me a natural, straightforward reading of the text denies the national level on which you want to place Matthew 25:46.

Well, regardless of whatever eschatological commitments you have, the verse itself communicates a direct parallel between the forever life of the righteous and the forever punishment of the wicked. No number of eschatalogical convolutions can dissolve the plain meaning of the parallel in Matthew 25:46.

And you seem to have missed that Revelations 14:10-11 says nothing about he who has taken the Mark of the Beast being tormented forever in the presence of the Lamb. It says only that the smoke of their torment rises forever (which the verse does not say rises so before the Lamb). The duration of time of their torment before the Lamb is not indicated. 2 Thessalonians tells us, though, that it won't be forever. See? No contradiction, if you read carefully. And I still think annihilationism is an entirely unbiblical belief.
Yes the parallelism is unmistakably clear. Since "eternal" life in the first clause lasts for 1,000 years, "eternal" punishment in the second clause also lasts for 1,000 years. You have plainly ignored for your own convenience that the sheep-goat judgment is not the same as the great white throne judgment.
There are individuals in both sheep and goat nations that are rewarded or punished as a consequence of their benevolent or non-benevolent actions toward the brethren during the tribulation.
I don't believe in annihilation so that is an irrelevant point. You have been hoodwinked into believing that eternal life in Scripture refers to life forever with God. In a sense that is true but directly speaking it refers to life during the Millennial Age. When the rich young ruler asked Jesus what he must do to inherit eternal life, Jesus replied and equated "eternal life" with the "kingdom of God" and the "kingdom of heaven." Thus by Jesus' own words, these three terms are synonymous. It is common knowledge that the Jews were anticipating their Messiah's coming to usher in the Millennial age where they would rule with Jesus over their enemies. Thus the rich young ruler's question about eternal life was really about how he would inherit life during the Millennium and NOT LIFE FOREVER.
It is apparent to me that you need to study and understand more but whether that happens is of course your choice.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So in other words, tampering with the canons of a council doesn't matter.

Well, then, don't let me hear anymore Orthodox whining about the Filioque, eh?
If you rely in denying the Ecumenical Councils because it does not fit your belief, then there is something wrong.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know God is love.
Apparently that concept evades you.
If I am told God is love, am I wrong to expect that He will act in love?
Kindly tell me how burning someone forever is love.
This assumes that God's feeling, sentiments etc. are exactly like yours. Unfortunately we don't get to decide what is right or wrong for God.
Isaiah 55:8-9
(8) "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.
(9) "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Light of the East said:
Yes. I was referring to your post. Then I looked it up for myself.

Funny thing about translations. You see that there can be multiple uses for a single word, yet men, in their desire to support an agenda, will go from the primary use to something that supports them in their false ideas, no matter how wrong or egregious it is. It's like they say, "Well, because we believe THIS, that word must mean THAT" and they never stop to think of the ramifications of their belief system or the pure bovine excrement they are putting out in some cases.

It's amazing what you find out when you start to study the original language of the Bible without all the cultural baggage. You find that your BS meter starts going wild.
Jude1:3Contendforthefaith said:
The Canons and Decrees of the Ecumenical Councils are Infallible and The Second Council of Constantinople says : • 9 "If Anyone says or thinks that the punishment of demons and of impious men is only temporary, and will one day have an end, and that a restoration will take place of demons and of impious men, Let Him Be Anathema.
Second Council of Constantinople (553 A.D.)

CHURCH FATHERS: Second Council of Constantinople (A.D. 553)
Light of the East said:
Those canons are not part of the original council, but were added under duress (and threats no doubt) from the half-pagan and murderous thug of an emperor Justinian (you guys have really strange saints, people who kill their enemies instead of loving them as Jesus commanded). Modern scholarship has shown that this happened, although at the time it was accepted.

The emperor, quite frankly, overstepped his bounds by doing this. The original condemnation of Origen was not for Apokatastasis, but rather for his strange idea of the pre-existence of souls.

You know, the Eastern Orthodox have a very strange way of vetting their saints - THEY DON'T! The Roman Catholic Church, with whom I violently disagree in regards to their invented doctrines, at least will insist upon two medically verifiable miracles along with a holy life.

Killing your enemies after they have surrendered and just because they won't "accept Jesus" doesn't qualify as a holy life.
Jude1:3Contendforthefaith said:
The First 7 Ecumenical Councils are agreed upon by both Roman Catholicism and The Eastern Orthodox, so we are both connected to their Canons and Decrees.
So in other words, tampering with the canons of a council doesn't matter.

Well, then, don't let me hear anymore Orthodox whining about the Filioque, eh?
What were the early EOC views on Hell compared to early Roman Catholicism?
Some interesting thread on the "schism":

Great Schism and effect on Christianity and Theology

I think we could go back to the time when the Filioque was introduced and used as to the start of the schism.
But if you wish to stick to the great schism then maybe look at when there was a dispute as to who was Pope and why.

Roman church errors and inventions

Scholasticism
Filioque
Papal Supremacy
Immaculate Conception

Inventions:
-Infallability of the Pope
-Papal supremacy
-Immaculate conception
-purgatory
Errors:
-Vatican I and II(not the councells but their decisions....although II was worse than I)
-indulgencies
-crusades
-Vatican City.... (never should have been a "seperate state"but goes hand in hand with the Papal supreority)
======================
Lateran IV

Unam Sanctum
Trent
Vatican I
Vatican II
the papacy
the Marian dogmas
the dogma of papal infallibility
auricular confession and penance
sacerdotal sacramentalism
purgatory
indugences

transubstantiation

and admit that the Roman religion was built upon the deceptions and frauds of forgeries invented during the dark ages
===========================
Protestant errors and inventions

These errors and inventions are not Biblcal and are not part of historic Christianity.

Total Depravity of Man
Enthroning the Bible in your Heart
Ask Jesus into Your Heart
The Rapture
Altar Call
Eternal Security
"Once Saved Always Saved"
Sola Fide - Salvation by "Faith Alone"
Sola Scriptura - "Bible Alone"

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
<OT>Yes the parallelism is unmistakably clear. Since "eternal" life in the first clause lasts for 1,000 years, "eternal" punishment in the second clause also lasts for 1,000 years. You have plainly ignored for your own convenience that the sheep-goat judgment is not the same as the great white throne judgment.
There are individuals in both sheep and goat nations that are rewarded or punished as a consequence of their benevolent or non-benevolent actions toward the brethren during the tribulation.
I don't believe in annihilation so that is an irrelevant point. You have been hoodwinked into believing that eternal life in Scripture refers to life forever with God. In a sense that is true but directly speaking it refers to life during the Millennial Age. When the rich young ruler asked Jesus what he must do to inherit eternal life, Jesus replied and equated "eternal life" with the "kingdom of God" and the "kingdom of heaven." Thus by Jesus' own words, these three terms are synonymous. It is common knowledge that the Jews were anticipating their Messiah's coming to usher in the Millennial age where they would rule with Jesus over their enemies. Thus the rich young ruler's question about eternal life was really about how he would inherit life during the Millennium and NOT LIFE FOREVER.
It is apparent to me that you need to study and understand more but whether that happens is of course your choice.<OT>
.....I have been active at CF for more than 2 decades and I have heard the argument that aion does not mean eternity and aionios does not mean eternal countless times. Since .....I am retired X3 and have no time clock to punch I did an independent study of both words.
.....In twenty one [21] of the following verses αἰών/aion and αἰώνιος/aionios are defined/described as eternal, everlasting, eternity etc, by comparison or contrast with other adjectives or adjectival phrases.
List of verses:1 Timothy 1:17, 2 Corinthians 4:17-18, 2 Corinthians 5:1, Hebrews 7:24, 1 Peter 1:23, 1 Timothy 6:16, Galatians 6:8, John 6:58, John 10:20, 1 John 2:17, 1 Peter 5:10, Romans 2:7, Luke 1:33,Revelation 14:11, John 10:28, John 3:15, John 3:16, John 5:24, John 8:51, Ephesians 3:21, Romans 1:20, Romans 5:21, Romans 16:26.
…..In the NT “aion/aionios” sometimes refer to things which are not eternal but neither word is ever defined/described, by other adjectives or adjectival phrases, as meaning a period of time less than eternal, as in the following verses.
[1]Romans 1:20
(20) For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal [ἀΐ́διος/aidios] power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
[2]Romans 16:26
(26) But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting [αἰώνιος/aionios] God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
In Rom 1:20 Paul refers to God’s power and Godhead as “aidios.” Scholars agree “aidios” unquestionably means eternal, everlasting, unending etc. In Rom 16:26, Paul, the same writer, in the same writing, refers to God as “aionios.” Paul has used “aidios” synonymous with “aionios.” In this verse by definition “aionios” means eternal, everlasting.
[3]Luke 1:33
(33) And he shall reign [βασιλευσει][Vb] over the house of Jacob for ever; [αιωνας/aionas] and of his kingdom [βασιλειας][Nn] there shall be no end.[τελος/τελος]
In this verse the reign βασιλευσει/basileusei, which is the verb form of the word, is "aionas" and of the kingdom βασιλειας/basileias, the noun form of the same word, "there shall be no end.” “Aionas” by definition here means eternal.
[4]2 Corinthians 4:17-18
(17) For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] weight of glory;
(18) While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal;[πρόσκαιρος/proskairos] but the things which are not seen are eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this passage “aionios” is contrasted with “for a moment,” vs. 4, and “temporal,” vs. 5. “Age(s)” an indeterminate finite period, it is not the opposite of “for a moment”/”temporal/temporary” “eternal” is. “Aionios” by definition here means “eternal.”
[5]2 Corinthians 5:1
(1) For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] in the heavens.
In this verse “aionios house” is contrasted with “earthly house which is destroyed.” Is God going to replace our destroyed earthly house with a house only lasts a little longer which will also be destroyed at the end of an age? The aionios house is not destroyed, the opposite of “is destroyed.” Thus, “aionios” by definition here means “eternal.”
[6]Hebrews 7:24 but because Jesus lives forever [αἰών/aion] he has an unchangeable [ἀπαράβατος/aparabatos] priesthood.
In this verse “aion” is paired with “unchangeable.” If “aion” means “age(s),” Jesus cannot continue “for a finite period” and be “unchangeable” at the same time. Thus “aion” by definition here means “eternal.”
[7]1 Peter 1:23
(23) For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, [ ̓́αφθαρτος/aphthartos] through the living and enduring word of God. …
1 Peter 1:25
(25) but the word of the Lord endures forever.[αἰών/aion] " And this is the word that was preached to you.
In verse 23 “word of God” is paired with “imperishable.” The same writer, Petr, in the same writing 1 Peter in verse 25 writes the word of God “endures εις τον αιωνα unto eternity. ” Thus by definition “aion” here means “eternity.”
[8]1 Timothy 6:16
(16) Who only hath immortality, [ ̓́αφθαρτος/aphthartos] dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting [αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this verse “aionios” is paired with “immortality.” If “aionios” is only a finite period, God cannot be “immortal” and only exist for a finite period at the same time. Thus “aionios” by definition means “eternal.”
[9]Galatians 6:8
(8) For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; [φθορά/fthora] but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. [αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this verse “aionios” is contrasted with “corruption.” “Fleshly” people reap “corruption” but spiritual people reap “life aionios,” i.e. “not corruption.” “Age(s), a finite period, is not opposite of “corruption.” Thus “aionios life” by definition here means “eternal/everlasting life.”
[10]John 6:58
(58) This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.[αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this verse Jesus contrasts “aionios life” with “death.” If “live aionios” is only a finite period, a finite period is not opposite “death.” Thus “aionios” by definition here means “eternal.”
[11]John 10:28
(28) I give them eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life, and they shall never [αἰών/aion] perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.
In this verse Jesus pairs “aionios” and “aion” with “[not] snatch them out of my hand.” If “aion/aionios” means “age(s), a finite period,” that is not the opposite of “[not] snatch them out of my hand’” “Aionios life” by definition here means “eternal life.”
[12]1 John 2:17
(17) The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever. [αἰών/aion]
In this verse “aionios” is contrasted with “pass away,” “lives aionios” cannot mean a finite period, A “finite period” is not opposite of “pass away.” Thus “lives aionios” by definition here means “lives eternally.”
[13]1 Peter 5:10
(10) And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal [αιωνιον/aionion] glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, [ολιγον/oligon] will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
In this verse “aionios” is contrasted with “little while” Does Jesus give His followers a finite period of glory then they eventually die? Thus “aionios” here, by definition, means “eternal.”
[14]Romans 2:7
(7) To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, [ἀφθαρσία/apftharsia] he will give eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life.
In this verse “aionios” is paired with “immortality.” If “aionios” is only a finite period, believers cannot seek for “a finite period,” and “immortality” at the same time. But they can seek for “eternal life” and “immortality” at the same time. Thus by definition “aionios life” here means “eternal life.”
[15]1 Timothy 1:17.
(17) Now unto the King eternal, [αἰών/aion] immortal, [ ̓́αφθαρτος/aphthartos] invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever [αἰών/aion] and ever [αἰώνιος/aionios]. Amen.
In this verse “aion” is paired with “immortal.” “Aion” cannot mean “age(s),” a finite period and be immortal at the same time. Thus “aion” by definition here means “eternal.”
[16]Revelation 14:11
(11) And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever:[εις αιωνας αιωνων/eis aionas aionon] and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
In this verse “aionas aionon torment” is paired with “no rest day or night.” If “aionas, aionon” means “a finite period” at some time they would rest, “Aionas, aionon” by definition here means “forever and forever.”
[17]John 3:15
(15) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal [αιωνιον] life.
In this verse Jesus pairs “aionion” with “shall not perish.” Believers could perish in a finite period, “aionion life” by definition here means eternal life.
[18]John 3:16
(16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting [αιωνιον] life.
In this verse Jesus pairs “aionion” with “should not perish.” Believers could eventually perish in a finite period, thus by definition “aionion life” here means eternal or everlasting life.
[19]John 5:24
(24) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting [αἰώνιος] life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
In this verse Jesus pairs “aionios” with “shall not come into condemnation” and “passed from death unto life.” “Aionios” does not mean “a finite period,” by definition here it means “eternal,” unless Jesus lets His followers come into condemnation and pass into death.
[20]Romans 5:21
(21) That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal [αἰώνιος] life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
In this verse “aionios life” is contrasted with death. “A finite period life” is not opposite death, “eternal life” is. “Aionios life” by definition here means ‘eternal life.”
[21]Ephesians 3:21
(21) to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever [του αιωνος/tou aionios] and ever! [των αιωνων/ton aionion] Amen.
In this verse “tou aionios ton aionion” is paired with “throughout all generations.” "Age(s)" a finite period cannot refer to "all generations." By definition “tou aionios ton aionion” means forever and ever.
[22]John 8:51
(51) Very truly [αμην αμην/amen amen] I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never [ου μη εις τον αιωνα/ou mé eis ton aiona] see death."
According to noted Greek scholar Marvin Vincent "The double negative “ ου μη/ou mé” signifies in nowise, by no means." Unless Jesus is saying whoever obeys Him will die, i.e. see death, unto the age, by definition aion means eternity.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There is no parallelism.

Oh, yes there is. And the fact that you deny it exposes how poorly you understand what you're talking about. Parallelisms are a common literary device in ancient Jewish literature (most particularly, in Jewish poetry). And Matthew 25:46 is a classic example of one.

You fail to realize that the nature of the adjective is defined by the noun that it defines. Example: a tall dog was being walked by a tall man next to a tall skyscraper. Now would you say that all of them are of equal height and that the word "tall" has the same meaning for each of the nouns there?

I'm afraid this just made me chuckle. It appears you don't understand the nature of a parallelism (which, in the case of Matthew 25:46 is an antithetical one). There are two opposite (antithetical) ends set in parallel to each other in Matthew 25:46: the end of the wicked (into everlasting punishment) and the end of the righteous (into eternal life). The parallelism doesn't rest on the relationship of adjectives to nouns but upon repetition and comparison or contrast, which is what may be observed in Matthew 25:46.

I think the Greek speaking saints of the first couple of centuries of the Church understood the language of that day in a more clear manner than any of us do.

Proof, please. On what concrete basis can you prove this assertion?

Remember that the idea of an eternal punishment began in earnest with Augustine,

No, it began "in earnest" with the production of the NT which clearly taught eternal punishment.

Nope. See above response.

Yup. See above.

Doesn't say that at all. Honestly, if God had wanted that said in the verses you mention, He would have had the writer to use the word "adidios" which means eternal, rather than aion, which means "of the age."

Well, deny the obvious all you like, but the verses say what they say. I have neither added to nor taken away a single word in my interpretation of the verses in question.

As for the use of "aionios," well, I already addressed your contentions about it in an earlier post (#102). Let me quote some of it for you:

This is an old and tired line that those who want to deny the doctrine of hell often use. It's been answered again and again. As far as I'm aware, "aionios" is used in the vast majority of its occurrences in the NT to refer to an eternal (never-ending) duration of time. 51 times "aionios" refers to the unending happiness of the righteous, 2 instances refer to the duration of God in His glory, and 7 appear in reference to the punishment of the wicked. While "aionios" may refer to a limited duration of time, in the NT it almost never has any other meaning than an eternal period.

W. E. Vine points out,

"Aionios - describes duration, either undefined but not endless, as in Romans 16:25; 2 Timothy 1:9; Titus 1:2; or undefined because endless as in Romans 16:26, and the other sixty-six places in the NT.

The predominant meaning of "aionios," that in which it is used everywhere in the NT, save the places noted above, may be seen in 2 Corinthians 4:18, where it is used in contrast with "proskairos," lit., 'for a season,' and in Philemon 15, where only in the NT it is used without a noun. Moreover it is used of persons and things which are in their nature endless, as, e.g., of God, Romans 16:26; of His power, 1 Timothy 6:16, and of His glory, 1 Peter 5:10; of the Holy Spirit, Hebrews 9:14; of the redemption effected by Christ,Hebrews 9:12, and of the consequent salvation of men, 5:9, as well as of His future rule, 2 Peter 1:11, which is elsewhere declared to be without end, Luke 1:33; of the life received by those who believer in Christ, John 3:16, concerning whom He said, 'they shall never perish,' 10:28, and of the resurrection body, 2 Corinthians 5:1, elsewhere said to be 'immortal,' 1 Corinthians 15:33, in which that life will be finally realized, Matthew 25:46;Titus 1:2.

"Aionios" is also used of the sin that 'hath never forgiveness,' Mark 3:29, and of the judgment of God, from which there is no appeal, Hebrews 6:2, and of the fire, which is one of its instruments, Matthew 18:8; 25:41; Jude 7, and which is elsewhere said to be 'unquenchable,' Mark 9:43.

The use of "aionios" here shows that the punishment referred to in 2 Thessalonians 1:9, is not temporary, but final, and, accordingly, the phraseology show that its purpose is not remedial but retributive.

(Vine's Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words - pg. 43)

In light of what Vine points out here, how is it that you can contend that "aionios" is wrongly translated? Its constant association with things that are eternal - God, His glory, His power, Christ's redemption of the lost, Christ's future rule, the life received by those who have trusted in Christ, etc. - shows that "aionios" does carry the idea of eternality and does so in Scripture almost exclusively.

Remember, at the end of the ages, Christ will subdue all enemies to Himself and then turn the kingdom over to God so that God shall be "all in all." This dire warning means that those who are spoken of in Revelation shall be tormented (the Greek word βασανισμός actually means "refined") until all is reconciled in Christ.

But, that isn't what the verses actually say - unfortunately for you. Like I said, a plain, straightforward reading trumps your eschatological convolutions every time.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes the parallelism is unmistakably clear. Since "eternal" life in the first clause lasts for 1,000 years, "eternal" punishment in the second clause also lasts for 1,000 years. You have plainly ignored for your own convenience that the sheep-goat judgment is not the same as the great white throne judgment.
It is apparent to me that you need to study and understand more but whether that happens is of course your choice.

All of this talks past my points. Your comments are also dismissive and patronizing. And, not surprisingly, utterly unpersuasive. It is quite evidently you who are in need of further study of Scripture.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
<OT>Yes the parallelism is unmistakably clear. Since "eternal" life in the first clause lasts for 1,000 years, "eternal" punishment in the second clause also lasts for 1,000 years. You have plainly ignored for your own convenience that the sheep-goat judgment is not the same as the great white throne judgment.
It is apparent to me that you need to study and understand more but whether that happens is of course your choice.<OT>

.....I have been active at CF for more than 2 decades and I have heard the argument that aion does not mean eternity and aionios does not mean eternal countless times. Since .....I am retired X3 and have no time clock to punch I did an independent study of both words.
.....In twenty one [21] of the following verses αἰών/aion and αἰώνιος/aionios are defined/described as eternal, everlasting, eternity etc, by comparison or contrast with other adjectives or adjectival phrases.
List of verses:1 Timothy 1:17, 2 Corinthians 4:17-18, 2 Corinthians 5:1, Hebrews 7:24, 1 Peter 1:23, 1 Timothy 6:16, Galatians 6:8, John 6:58, John 10:20, 1 John 2:17, 1 Peter 5:10, Romans 2:7, Luke 1:33,Revelation 14:11, John 10:28, John 3:15, John 3:16, John 5:24, John 8:51, Ephesians 3:21, Romans 1:20, Romans 5:21, Romans 16:26.
…..In the NT “aion/aionios” sometimes refer to things which are not eternal but neither word is ever defined/described, by other adjectives or adjectival phrases, as meaning a period of time less than eternal, as in the following verses.
[1]Romans 1:20
(20) For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal [ἀΐ́διος/aidios] power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
[2]Romans 16:26
(26) But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting [αἰώνιος/aionios] God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
In Rom 1:20 Paul refers to God’s power and Godhead as “aidios.” Scholars agree “aidios” unquestionably means eternal, everlasting, unending etc. In Rom 16:26, Paul, the same writer, in the same writing, refers to God as “aionios.” Paul has used “aidios” synonymous with “aionios.” In this verse by definition “aionios” means eternal, everlasting.
[3]Luke 1:33
(33) And he shall reign [βασιλευσει][Vb] over the house of Jacob for ever; [αιωνας/aionas] and of his kingdom [βασιλειας][Nn] there shall be no end.[τελος/τελος]
In this verse the reign βασιλευσει/basileusei, which is the verb form of the word, is "aionas" and of the kingdom βασιλειας/basileias, the noun form of the same word, "there shall be no end.” “Aionas” by definition here means eternal.
[4]2 Corinthians 4:17-18
(17) For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] weight of glory;
(18) While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal;[πρόσκαιρος/proskairos] but the things which are not seen are eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this passage “aionios” is contrasted with “for a moment,” vs. 4, and “temporal,” vs. 5. “Age(s)” an indeterminate finite period, it is not the opposite of “for a moment”/”temporal/temporary” “eternal” is. “Aionios” by definition here means “eternal.”
[5]2 Corinthians 5:1
(1) For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] in the heavens.
In this verse “aionios house” is contrasted with “earthly house which is destroyed.” Is God going to replace our destroyed earthly house with a house only lasts a little longer which will also be destroyed at the end of an age? The aionios house is not destroyed, the opposite of “is destroyed.” Thus, “aionios” by definition here means “eternal.”
[6]Hebrews 7:24 but because Jesus lives forever [αἰών/aion] he has an unchangeable [ἀπαράβατος/aparabatos] priesthood.
In this verse “aion” is paired with “unchangeable.” If “aion” means “age(s),” Jesus cannot continue “for a finite period” and be “unchangeable” at the same time. Thus “aion” by definition here means “eternal.”
[7]1 Peter 1:23
(23) For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, [ ̓́αφθαρτος/aphthartos] through the living and enduring word of God. …
1 Peter 1:25
(25) but the word of the Lord endures forever.[αἰών/aion] " And this is the word that was preached to you.
In verse 23 “word of God” is paired with “imperishable.” The same writer, Petr, in the same writing 1 Peter in verse 25 writes the word of God “endures εις τον αιωνα unto eternity. ” Thus by definition “aion” here means “eternity.”
[8]1 Timothy 6:16
(16) Who only hath immortality, [ ̓́αφθαρτος/aphthartos] dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting [αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this verse “aionios” is paired with “immortality.” If “aionios” is only a finite period, God cannot be “immortal” and only exist for a finite period at the same time. Thus “aionios” by definition means “eternal.”
[9]Galatians 6:8
(8) For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; [φθορά/fthora] but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. [αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this verse “aionios” is contrasted with “corruption.” “Fleshly” people reap “corruption” but spiritual people reap “life aionios,” i.e. “not corruption.” “Age(s), a finite period, is not opposite of “corruption.” Thus “aionios life” by definition here means “eternal/everlasting life.”
[10]John 6:58
(58) This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.[αἰώνιος/aionios]
In this verse Jesus contrasts “aionios life” with “death.” If “live aionios” is only a finite period, a finite period is not opposite “death.” Thus “aionios” by definition here means “eternal.”
[11]John 10:28
(28) I give them eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life, and they shall never [αἰών/aion] perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.
In this verse Jesus pairs “aionios” and “aion” with “[not] snatch them out of my hand.” If “aion/aionios” means “age(s), a finite period,” that is not the opposite of “[not] snatch them out of my hand’” “Aionios life” by definition here means “eternal life.”
[12]1 John 2:17
(17) The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever. [αἰών/aion]
In this verse “aionios” is contrasted with “pass away,” “lives aionios” cannot mean a finite period, A “finite period” is not opposite of “pass away.” Thus “lives aionios” by definition here means “lives eternally.”
[13]1 Peter 5:10
(10) And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal [αιωνιον/aionion] glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, [ολιγον/oligon] will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
In this verse “aionios” is contrasted with “little while” Does Jesus give His followers a finite period of glory then they eventually die? Thus “aionios” here, by definition, means “eternal.”
[14]Romans 2:7
(7) To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, [ἀφθαρσία/apftharsia] he will give eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life.
In this verse “aionios” is paired with “immortality.” If “aionios” is only a finite period, believers cannot seek for “a finite period,” and “immortality” at the same time. But they can seek for “eternal life” and “immortality” at the same time. Thus by definition “aionios life” here means “eternal life.”
[15]1 Timothy 1:17.
(17) Now unto the King eternal, [αἰών/aion] immortal, [ ̓́αφθαρτος/aphthartos] invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever [αἰών/aion] and ever [αἰώνιος/aionios]. Amen.
In this verse “aion” is paired with “immortal.” “Aion” cannot mean “age(s),” a finite period and be immortal at the same time. Thus “aion” by definition here means “eternal.”
[16]Revelation 14:11
(11) And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever:[εις αιωνας αιωνων/eis aionas aionon] and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
In this verse “aionas aionon torment” is paired with “no rest day or night.” If “aionas, aionon” means “a finite period” at some time they would rest, “Aionas, aionon” by definition here means “forever and forever.”
[17]John 3:15
(15) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal [αιωνιον] life.
In this verse Jesus pairs “aionion” with “shall not perish.” Believers could perish in a finite period, “aionion life” by definition here means eternal life.
[18]John 3:16
(16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting [αιωνιον] life.
In this verse Jesus pairs “aionion” with “should not perish.” Believers could eventually perish in a finite period, thus by definition “aionion life” here means eternal or everlasting life.
[19]John 5:24
(24) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting [αἰώνιος] life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
In this verse Jesus pairs “aionios” with “shall not come into condemnation” and “passed from death unto life.” “Aionios” does not mean “a finite period,” by definition here it means “eternal,” unless Jesus lets His followers come into condemnation and pass into death.
[20]Romans 5:21
(21) That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal [αἰώνιος] life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
In this verse “aionios life” is contrasted with death. “A finite period life” is not opposite death, “eternal life” is. “Aionios life” by definition here means ‘eternal life.”
[21]Ephesians 3:21
(21) to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever [του αιωνος/tou aionios] and ever! [των αιωνων/ton aionion] Amen.
In this verse “tou aionios ton aionion” is paired with “throughout all generations.” "Age(s)" a finite period cannot refer to "all generations." By definition “tou aionios ton aionion” means forever and ever.
[22]John 8:51
(51) Very truly [αμην αμην/amen amen] I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never [ου μη εις τον αιωνα/ou mé eis ton aiona] see death."
According to noted Greek scholar Marvin Vincent "The double negative “ ου μη/ou mé” signifies in nowise, by no means." Unless Jesus is saying whoever obeys Him will die, i.e. see death, unto the age, by definition aion means eternity.
Der Alter, you are blessed to be retired but I hope your memory is not faltering because every time you initially reply to me, you cut and paste this list you keep handy as your initial response and we go from there with the same result each and every time regarding this subject. We always end up disagreeing and plow no new ground each time so I'm quite familiar with your position and responses as you may be with mine since we have extensive back & forth. Thus I'm not interested in discussing with you since it's just a rehash of our previous engagements. However, it you want to choose a single verse/passage which you think best represents your view from your list, I will respond in kind since hopefully it won't take much of my time and we don't spend all our time (although you're retired) on the merry-go-round ride.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All of this talks past my points. Your comments are also dismissive and patronizing. And, not surprisingly, utterly unpersuasive. It is quite evidently you who are in need of further study of Scripture.
Not surprising that you will not or cannot give a scriptural counter-reply but thanks for the limited discussion anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yahuweh is not subject to the clay pot He shapes, especially if it is one opposed to Him.
Are you saying that if the universe was a playground, God would be the bully?
He can do whatever he wants because he is bigger than we are? Is that how it works?
Seems like a complete mischaracterization of our loving heavenly Father toward his creation.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Kindly tell me how burning someone forever is love.
Right. Or what is the point in doing that?

To what end is endless torment?
Especially to those who have no idea why they are even there.

What is accomplished? What good can come of it?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay. No problem.

I'm not rejecting His Word.

BTW - what is the Word?

HINT: Christ
Most think that the word of God is ONLY found in an English translation of the Bible.
But which one? No agreement there.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The lost, in the very end get destroyed, consumed by eternal fire (fire from heaven), never to exist again.
Pity. Seems such a waste.
Remind me, what was the point of all this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eternal death lasts forever for those who don't qualify for the Kingdom. The original punishment stands.
Do you believe that those qualified for the kingdom were predestined?
If so, why are some chosen for eternal life and others for eternal torment?
Does that seems just to you? Or merciful?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The answer to the question you pose is the same as your answer to this question: Do you believe others who believe in everlasting torment, are bad people?
No. It's not the same.

Those who delight in everlasting torment have a remarkable dislike for those who don't.
It seems everlasting torment is of very high importance to them.

To even attempt to deny them the pleasure of assigning everlasting torment is on order with the highest blasphemy thinkable.

Their position on this is baffling. Why would they hold dear such a horrible thing and think they are doing God a favor?

Reactions: INeedGrace
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good, otherwise after a few thousand years of singing and playing harp, it would wear rather thin.
That is so funny. Thanks.
This makes the age-abiding definition of aionious all the more appealing.

Matthew 25:46 Rotherham Emphasized Bible
And, these, shall go away, into, age-abiding (aionious), correction, but, the righteous, into, age-abiding (aionious), life.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So you are saying that the millions (billions?) who never heard of the Gospel or who lived in pagan lands long before Christ even appeared are doomed simply because they didn't hear the Good News?

Well.............that sure sounds fair!!
people don't go to hell for not receiving the gospel. they go to hell for being fallen sons and daughters in adam.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I don't want to believe that hell lasts forever either. But if God says so, then even if I wished it weren't true, it is what it is.
That's the question, did God say so?
Or are we at the mercy of Bible translations with a Damnatioist bias?
I vote for the latter.

Upvote 0