Visit site
✟31,167.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. Pretty much reinforces what Jesus said that...

"And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day." John 6:39

:oldthumbsup:

Ok do you see what is happening here? I told you that Judas is part of those the Father gave Jesus. When you asked for a reference, I gave it to you. It is obvious you mean that anyone that God gave to the Son cannot be lost but there is one, Judas, who has been given to Jesus by the Father and was lost.

When I showed you this, you ignored and just evaded.

God bless you bro, all with love! :)

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not assuming, it is what I read out of the scriptures especially about the other countless verses that are clearly saying that one can fall away from salvation.
You haven't cited one yet.

I am not talking about scriptural truth I am talking about the truth that John is talking about in 1 John 2, the truth that AntiChrists are trying to twist, that is that Jesus is the Christ. Please follow the context.
So you bounce from Hebrews to John (with which I have no problem, by the way) after accusing me of evading context by following up John with John? Friend, you have to admit, that's kind of funny right there.

Upvote 0

Asaph George

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
montreal
Visit site
✟31,167.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So you bounce from Hebrews to John (with which I have no problem, by the way) after accusing me of evading context by following up John with John? Friend, you have to admit, that's kind of funny right there.

Hey Phill,

I didn't jump to Hebrews with you. This is an unrelated message to all readers here, I am interested in what they think. I am still with you in the context of 1 John 2!!

This was not oriented at you. Please look at the last post I sent you here, I am still in the same context.

When it comes to the others you think I haven't cited, it is in the first message of the thread. I can't repeat all these here.

You can start by John 15, Hebrews 6:4-6, Hebrews 10:26-27, parable of the 10 virgins, parable of the prodigal son, Galatians 5:1-4, 2 Peter 2:20, Romans 11:13-22, there are more but you can pick anyone of these if you want.

May God bless you brother.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok do you see what is happening here? I told you that Judas is part of those the Father gave Jesus. When you asked for a reference, I gave it to you. It is obvious you mean that anyone that God gave to the Son cannot be lost but there is one, Judas, who has been given to Jesus by the Father and was lost.

When I showed you this, you ignored and just evaded.
Friend, if you could please desist with pretending to read people's minds, this would go a lot smoother. Thanks.

I asked you for a scriptural reference because the reference reinforces the previous verse I quoted. Read it again...

"...NONE of them is lost, BUT the son of perdition..."

The only way this works for you is if you believe “the son of perdition” refers to these hypothetical real believers who fall away, past, present, and future. In which case you run into a huge wall with the rest of that verse, “…so that Scripture would be fulfilled.” But as you correctly stated, this verse applies to Judas Iscariot, not those hypothetical real believers who fall away. Which brings us back to…

“And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day.” John 6:39

Upvote 0

Asaph George

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
montreal
Visit site
✟31,167.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Also remember, when we were in 1 John 2, you mentioned the gospel of John, I didn't. Then from the gospel of John I told you about Judas. That is when you asked me about a reference.

And I never jumped to Hebrews with you. That is a general post to the thread.

God bless you

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Asaph George

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
montreal
Visit site
✟31,167.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Friend, if you could please desist with pretending to read people's minds, this would go a lot smoother. Thanks.

The only way this works for you is if you believe “the son of perdition” refers to these hypothetical real believers who fall away, past, present, and future. In which case you run into a huge wall with the rest of that verse, “…so that Scripture would be fulfilled.” But as you correctly stated, this verse applies to Judas Iscariot, not those hypothetical real believers who fall away. Which brings us back to…

Hello Phil,

I am not pretending brother. I am just stating what I think. We should not get frustrated. I am not here to argue with anyone. I am simply discussing and am interested in the other side's arguments.

It is not hypothetical real believers. He was a true believer, there is nothing that alludes to him not being a true believer.

I can say the same to you:

"The only way this works for you is if you believe “the son of perdition” refers to these false believers who were never really saved. "

You think I am assuming but you are not looking at your own assumption that is that Judas was never part of the saved apostles.

You said that those who are given to Jesus are protected. So this THEY that are given to Jesus represents those who are saved BECAUSE they are given to Jesus. When we say EXCEPT the son of perdition, that means he is part of that same group, the THEY that were given to Jesus.

Do you think Judas never had the Spirit when he was with Jesus?

God bless you brother.

Upvote 0

Asaph George

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
montreal
Visit site
✟31,167.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Prodigal son: Lived a life of rebellion until he repented and was saved. That pretty much describes all of us who are born again. Is there a sequel where the son leaves the party and denies his father again?

Except that the prodigal son was already IN the house of God and asked for his inheritance. He was saved at first.

Saved --> Unsaved --> Saved.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except that the prodigal son was already IN the house of God and asked for his inheritance. He was saved at first.

Saved --> Unsaved --> Saved.

God bless you.
In your opinion. But assuming he was saved at the beginning, please review post #72 for an excellent explanation by St_Worm2 as to why how this parable is perfectly in line with the perseverance of the saints. Please see below...
Westminster Confession of Faith

Chapter XVII

Of the Perseverance of the Saints

I. They, whom God has accepted in His Beloved, effectually called, and sanctified by His Spirit, can neither totally nor finally fall away from the state of grace, but shall certainly persevere therein to the end, and be eternally saved.[1]

II. This perseverance of the saints depends not upon their own free will, but upon the immutability of the decree of election, flowing from the free and unchangeable love of God the Father;[2] upon the efficacy of the merit and intercession of Jesus Christ,[3] the abiding of the Spirit, and of the seed of God within them,[4] and the nature of the covenant of grace:[5] from all which arises also the certainty and infallibility thereof.[6]

III. Nevertheless, they may, through the temptations of Satan and of the world, the prevalency of corruption remaining in them, and the neglect of the means of their preservation, fall into grievous sins;[7] and, for a time, continue therein:[8] whereby they incur God's displeasure,[9] and grieve His Holy Spirit,[10] come to be deprived of some measure of their graces and comforts,[11] have their hearts hardened,[12] and their consciences wounded;[13] hurt and scandalize others,[14] and bring temporal judgments upon themselves.[15]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not pretending brother. I am just stating what I think.
No, my friend, you claiming to know what I think. Here's a good example:

You think I am assuming but you are not looking at your own assumption that is that Judas was never part of the saved apostles.
I never made any such claim. As a matter of fact, I stated quite the opposite as per scripture. Still you insist on setting up straw men and then refuting them.

Please don't take this as anything but the constructive request it is intended, but if you want to continue this dialogue I'm going to have to ask once again that you stick to what I actually post, not your eisegesis of it. Thank you for your understanding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I heard something that blew me away the other day

People are so worried if they are saved or not yet they ought to live Christ.
They are so worried about themselves and not bothered to live like Jesus asked.
Instead of loving Jesus, they are so preoccupied with saving their own skin.

2 scriptures arise when I think of this.
1st,
Remember Jesus asked the crowds of followers why they followed him? He said you only follow me because I feed ye. After lots departed only a few remained and Jesus asked them are they not going to leave too?
For where shall we go rabbi for you have the words to eternal life.
2nd
Remember Jesus said why do you call me Lord and yet not do what I ask of you?

I can post more scriptures on this if needed to further the truth but rest assured that salvation is a free gift from God.
But,
What is salvation?
It is a sacrifice on Gods part so that His wrath will not be poured out on those who believe.
Now please don’t be deceived because watch this.
The word believe means to trust and obey. It means to take the words of Jesus as 100% truth. If it weren’t then explain the scripture “ even the devil believes and shudders”. We know the devil believes but will not be in heaven, but hell. Still doubt because you believe you are saved??

Salvation is a gift because we need a Saviour due to the fact we cannot reach Gods standard for righteousness. It takes faith to accept this gift and to believe in the One He sent.
So when Jesus says do not do this and make it your business to to that, I’m going to believe what He said and not anybody else.

Remember Matthew 10 Jesus said I have not come to give peace to the world but I come with a sword, it means He has come to divide what is right and what is wrong.
He further states that don’t think a servant is greater than the master. Ye will be persecuted for my name. They will hate you because they first hated me. Endure this faith until the end and you will be saved. We will be hated for doing what’s godly.

I left church for a number of reasons but one was because it didn’t sit right with me.
Here was a church telling me we can’t out do Gods grace and that once your baptised in the spirit you are saved.
The church grew more and more due to its life coaching.
Everybody seems to becoming to the church today and that’s not a bad thing per say, but their coming because it feels good.
Where is the teaching that you ought to crucify your flesh and walk in the spirit because if you don’t you will be sent to hell? It doesn’t exist because it’s about popularity rather than saving souls.

On my point about we can’t out do Gods grace, this is very true to to extent it doesn’t matter what you did be it murder, rape, etc, we can repent to God because of the cross. It doesn’t mean and I will clearly say it, mean we can come to the cross and after we become new in Christ go out and murder, rape, etc and expect God to forgive us.
My scripture to back this up is Romans 6.
We have now come to the cross and ar3 baptised into Jesus. We should not want the desire to keep sinning rather the desire to crucify our flesh. Ye must take up your cross backs up this scripture.

OSAS is a lie,
We can’t out do Gods grace after we know the truth is a lie
Keep on sinning and expect to be saved is a lie

We do not need to work in order to receive God’s gift of salvation but once we know the truth that Jesus was sent to save us, yet we do not follow His footsteps, begs the question, How many Christians believe that no matter what they do they are still saved??
The scripture to back this up is,
You having faith in Jesus yet your works do not produce fruit means your faith is dead, aka, not real, not valid, your deceived. James 2:14
We should do what Jesus says and not just believe in Him
James 1:22

One last thing, if Jesus Christ is God and it’s Gods word and He says one thing, where do people, pastors etc get off on trying to twist scripture??
Picture judgment day guys and gals
Man: Lord I believed in you that salvation was free and I lived good but fell away from the faith and lived a life of sin but I believed in you once.
Jesus: did not my word tell you to endure until the end?
Did not my word not warn you about the great falling away due to demonic doctrines?
I asked all to come to me and I will give them eternal life
Did my word not warn you that it is impossible for those once enlightened and who fall away to be brought to repentance?
Your salvation was free because I died for you but you turned your back on me
You refused to follow my commands and believed because you were once saved that you were free to live the life I gave you, your way.
You did not show love for me, you showed love for thyself and lived a life of sin. Your wages are due to you and they are death. I’m sorry but I have to judge righteously. Now your will be done, not mine. Depart from me you worker of iniquity.

Let’s face it lads, once we know the truth we are without excuse, and the truth is that Jesus is God and God says how He will judge and those who will inherit the kingdom and those who won’t.
It’s His way or the highway, so stop twisting scripture to suit our sinful lives
God Bless ye all
Amen

Last edited:
Reactions: Asaph George
Upvote 0

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I heard something that blew me away the other day

People are so worried if they are saved or not yet they ought to live Christ.
They are so worried about themselves and not bothered to live like Jesus asked.
Instead of loving Jesus, they are so preoccupied with saving their own skin.

2 scriptures arise when I think of this.
1st,
Remember Jesus asked the crowds of followers why they followed him? He said you only follow me because I feed ye. After lots departed only a few remained and Jesus asked them are they not going to leave too?
For where shall we go rabbi for you have the words to eternal life.
2nd
Remember Jesus said why do you call me Lord and yet not do what I ask of you?

I can post more scriptures on this if needed to further the truth but rest assured that salvation is a free gift from God.
But,
What is salvation?
It is a sacrifice on Gods part so that His wrath will not be poured out on those who believe.
Now please don’t be deceived because watch this.
The word believe means to trust and obey. It means to take the words of Jesus as 100% truth. If it weren’t then explain the scripture “ even the devil believes and shudders”. We know the devil believes but will not be in heaven, but hell. Still doubt because you believe you are saved??

Salvation is a gift because we need a Saviour due to the fact we cannot reach Gods standard for righteousness. It takes faith to accept this gift and to believe in the One He sent.
So when Jesus says do not do this and make it your business to to that, I’m going to believe what He said and not anybody else.

Remember Matthew 10 Jesus said I have not come to give peace to the world but I come with a sword, it means He has come to divide what is right and what is wrong.
He further states that don’t think a servant is greater than the master. Ye will be persecuted for my name. They will hate you because they first hated me. Endure this faith until the end and you will be saved. We will be hated for doing what’s godly.

I left church for a number of reasons but one was because it didn’t sit right with me.
Here was a church telling me we can’t out do Gods grace and that once your baptised in the spirit you are saved.
The church grew more and more due to its life coaching.
Everybody seems to becoming to the church today and that’s not a bad thing per say, but their coming because it feels good.
Where is the teaching that you ought to crucify your flesh and walk in the spirit because if you don’t you will be sent to hell? It doesn’t exist because it’s about popularity rather than saving souls.

On my point about we can’t out do Gods grace, this is very true to to extent it doesn’t matter what you did be it murder, rape, etc, we can repent to God because of the cross. It doesn’t mean and I will clearly say it, mean we can come to the cross and after we become new in Christ go out and murder, rape, etc and expect God to forgive us.
My scripture to back this up is Romans 6.
We have now come to the cross and ar3 baptised into Jesus. We should not want the desire to keep sinning rather the desire to crucify our flesh. Ye must take up your cross backs up this scripture.

OSAS is a lie,
We can’t out do Gods grace after we know the truth is a lie
Keep on sinning and expect to be saved is a lie

We do not need to work in order to receive God’s gift of salvation but once we know the truth that Jesus was sent to save us, yet we do not follow His footsteps, begs the question, How many Christians believe that no matter what they do they are still saved??
The scripture to back this up is,
You having faith in Jesus yet your works do not produce fruit means your faith is dead, aka, not real, not valid, your deceived. James 2:14
We should do what Jesus says and not just believe in Him
James 1:22

One last thing, if Jesus Christ is God and it’s Gods word and He says one thing, where do people, pastors etc get off on trying to twist scripture??
Picture judgment day guys and gals
Man: Lord I believed in you that salvation was free and I lived good but fell away from the faith and lived a life of sin but I believed in you once.
Jesus: did not my word tell you to endure until the end?
Did not my word not warn you about the great falling away due to demonic doctrines?
I asked all to come to me and I will give them eternal life
Did my word not warn you that it is impossible for those once enlightened and who fall away to be brought to repentance?
Your salvation was free because I died for you but you turned your back on me
You refused to follow my commands and believed because you were once saved that you were free to live the life I gave you, your way.
You did not show love for me, you showed love for thyself and lived a life of sin. Your wages are due to you and they are death. I’m sorry but I have to judge righteously. Now your will be done, not mine. Depart from me you worker of iniquity.

Let’s face it lads, once we know the truth we are without excuse, and the truth is that Jesus is God and God says how He will judge and those who will inherit the kingdom and those who won’t.
It’s His way or the highway, so stop twisting scripture to suit our sinful lives
God Bless ye all
Amen
So who exactly on this thread is condoning a professing Christian who willfully practices habitual sin, to be saved? So what is it, are we justified and saved by our works of obedience or the works of Christ? Can’t be both.. and if by Christ’s merits, then the doctrine of “losing ones salvation” is heresy. And a denial of the gospel. How is this any different than what the Judaizers were teaching? I’ll tell you, no different. Because both look to themselves and their works as justification before God. The result of salvation is a life of faith and repentance. It is mere fruit of being regenerated and saved in Christ by Gods elective grace. But many on here don’t believe this and is why they hold to works based salvation

Upvote 0

Asaph George

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
montreal
Visit site
✟31,167.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In your opinion. But assuming he was saved at the beginning, please review post #72 for an excellent explanation by St_Worm2 as to why how this parable is perfectly in line with the perseverance of the saints. Please see below...

Hello again Phil,

Let's not turn this personal brother, this is not about you and me, this is about the truth. Let's say you were right and I assumed wrong, be patient with me for the sake of Christ.

I want to summarize what we spoke about (beginning with 1 John 2, let's keep the prodigal son and Judas aside for a second). Please correct me where you think I am wrong.

In 1 John 2, you first quoted the AntiChrists verse. The use of this verse is to state that whoever fell away from the faith was never saved to begin with, they never really received the Spirit.

I agree with you that the AntiChrists were never saved, they really were shown that they were not part of the true believers. No one is questioning this. But there is a difference between the readers of John and these AntiChrists. That is why I mentioned verses 24, let me put it here again:

24 Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.

25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.

My point is that John is telling his readers not to be deceived by the AntiChrists. He is telling them that the Truth that they ALREADY know should abide in them? What truth you might say? The truth that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and He is the Christ. The context of the chapter does not show one bit that the readers are not saved, but that they have already received the Spirit.

You are saying that if these people will fall from the faith, that means they never received the Spirit but that they were false brothers.

Let's look at it again more in context:

1 John 2:18-29

18 Little children (John is addressing what he calls little children), it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us. (It is clear therefore that "they" the AntiChrists are not part of "us" the true believers)

20 But ye (who is this ye? the little children) have an unction from the Holy One (how can we say that they are not saved when they have the unction from the Holy One?), and ye know all things.

21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? (here is the truth that John wants the little children to preserve)? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

24 Let that (That what? that truth that Jesus is the Christ and Son of God) therefore abide (they should let that truth abide in them) in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning (same truth) shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.

25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us (who is this us, John is including Himself as a believer amont the little children whom he also considers believers, believers in what? in the Truth that Jesus is the Son and is Christ), even eternal life.

26 These things have I written unto you concerning them (the antichrists) that seduce you.

27 But the anointing (the anointing of the Spirit) which ye have received of him abideth in you (so you see that these little children have already received the Spirit), and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth (so this same anointing IS TRUTH, The Spirit is the Spirit of Truth), and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

28 And now, little children, abide in him (So John again addresses them and says to ABIDE in Him, in the Spirit of Christ); that, when he shall appear, we (John is including Himself with the little children believers) may have confidence, and not be ashamed (why would they be ashamed? because they did not abide in Him) before him at his coming.

So my brother, please tell me where do you see that his readers are not saved if they had the unction of the Spirit and the anointing which teaches them all things and is itself truth?

John is saying to these believers who have the unction of the Holy One:
- Let the Truth abide in you (which that antichrists are denying) so that they continue in the Son
- that if that truth abides in them they will receive the promise of eternal life
- that this truth is given to them by the anointing they received from God
- to abide in the truth, so that they are not ashamed at His coming.

Please let me know.

May God bless you Phill!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Asaph George

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
montreal
Visit site
✟31,167.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hello Phill,

I don't understand, are you saying that we was never really lost?

I thought you said that he was lost and got saved.

Please explain thank you.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Exinanition

Feb 20, 2018
Shreveport
✟17,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Exinanition, Nice to meet you.

Hello, Asaph George, I am also very pleased to meet you.

If you look at one post above I said that he best verse for Calvinism I find is 1 John 3:9.

Respectfully, Asaph George, I do not consider this a verse “for Calvinism” but a verse for Christianity. That being stated, how do you reconcile this verse with the verses you see as saying a Christian can continue in sin after having received salvation? You have stated that we must look at all scripture to arrive at correct doctrine. This verse is scripture and cannot be ignored if we are to be doctrinally correct. Do you agree?

I like you believe that a true child of God who are walking in the Spirit will not sin, they will hate sin and even cannot sin. I know this because I know how much of a sinner I was.

I am not saying that I am perfect but it is an issue of mastery. Who is our master? If we are truly children of God we will not sin because the Holy Spirit will be in us guiding us and convicting us all the time.

Thank you, Asaph George. This is exactly my point. The true believer will never willfully continue in sin because he cannot willfully continue in sin. Therefore, he simply cannot lose his salvation due to continuing willfully in sin and grieving the Holy Spirit. If this is true, and I, as well as you according to what you have just stated, believe it is, then it stands to reason that the only ones who can willfully continue to sin are those who do not have the Holy Spirit “guiding” and “convicting” them “all the time.” In other words, this can only refer to those who do not have the Holy Spirit because they have not received the grace of God into their hearts, minds, and spirits, through faith.

Romans 5:1-2 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

But, as this “hope of the glory of God” is necessarily future, it is to be waited for; but this waiting, in a thorough Christian, is not only a blessed expectation, but also a continual anticipation of it. Without faith no one will ever see this glory because without faith no one will ever be saved.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Hebrews 10:22-23 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised)…

Deuteronomy 32:20 And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be: for they are a very froward generation, children in whom is no faith.

Habakkuk 2:4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.

Matthew 9:22 But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, “Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole.” And the woman was made whole from that hour.

Matthew 9:29 Then touched he their eyes, saying, “According to your faith be it unto you.”

Mark 11:22 And Jesus answering saith unto them, “Have faith in God.”

Luke 18:8 “I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?”

Now when it comes to Ephesians 2:9-10, people always use that to say that we are saved by grace as if that means that we should not do anything after we are saved. That is not true. We will ALWAYS BE SAVED BY GRACE. Ephesians 2:10 says what:

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus TO good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them

It is certain that we “will ALWAYS BE SAVED BY GRACE.” It is just as certain that we will always be saved by grace through faith. It is equally true that “we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus TO good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them.” I do not argue this point. I just believe that if we are truly saved then we will do the good works which God has before ordained because, as you yourself so aptly put it, “the Holy Spirit will be in us guiding us and convicting us all the time.”

You said in another place:
It is their constant walk in the Spirit that gives them that assurance.

I disagree. Their constant walk in the Spirit does not give them that assurance. Their constant walk in the Spirit is their witness to the world that they belong to God in Jesus Christ!

The works do not save us; therefore, they cannot disqualify us from salvation. The works are not the guaranty of our salvation. They are the evidence of our salvation.

Asaph George, you said:

Can you please pick one of these? John 15:2, Parable of the virgins, parable of the prodigal Son, 1 Corinthians 9:27, Hebrews 10:26, Hebrews 4:4-6, Galatians 5:1-4.. Pick any of these and explain them to me. It will be harder for your position to argue against these passages then to me to argue about 1 John 3:9.

Okay.

Galatians 5:1-4 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

“This is intimately connected with the preceding chapter: the apostle having said, just before, So then, brethren, we are not children of the bond woman, but of the free, immediately adds, Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free. Hold fast your Christian profession; it brings spiritual liberty: on the contrary, Judaism brings spiritual bondage.”

(This is a quote from Clarke’s Commentary)
I mention this because I do not wish to plagiarize and it further establishes context for chapter five. Mr. Clarke is correct here.

Galatians 4:21-31 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband. Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

We can discuss these things out of the Bible if you want here for the edifying of the body. But we have to get into the verses. We read OUT of the scriptures not INTO them what we want them to say. They will fit as a big puzzle.

Here are the verses used for OSAS:

He that began a good work: Philippians 1:6

Predestination: Rom. 8:28-30, Eph. 1:4-6

Seal: Ephesians 1:13-14, 4:30 and 2 Corinthians 1:21-22

Nothing can Separate us: Romans 8:38-39

Noone can snatch us out of His hand: John 10:28

AntiChrists: 1 John 2:19

The best verse for Calvinism I find is 1 John 3:9 definitely. I will add to that Romans 7 and Romans 9. Romans 7 is completely taken out of context making it seem to be about Paul struggling with sin. While it is not.

Romans 9 gets clearer when we look at Jeremiah's visit to the potter.

All the verses I mentioned here are not really saying that we can never lose our salvation if we go back to wilfull sin. That is being pushed on these verses, these things don't mention sin.

This context of Galatians 5:1-4 must be considered in conjunction with Galatians 4:21-31. As you have said that verses the OSAS’ers use to defend their position “don’t mention sin;” neither does the apostle Paul mention anything in this passage about losing salvation.

Paul has started a church in Galatia. He has nurtured it. He has proclaimed the gospel of Jesus Christ. He has taught doctrine. He has presented them with the grace of the gospel which leads to salvation. All of this is certain. This does not, however, mean that everyone there has already been “saved by grace through faith. Attending a church regularly does not make you a born again Christian any more than putting flour all over you and sitting in the oven will make you a biscuit.

They are learning. Some of them get it. Some of them do not. (Surely you have been in a church where not everyone was saved!)This is obvious by their attempting to place themselves back into bondage by trying to fulfill the Mosaic Law. Only Jesus Christ ever fulfilled this Law. These people who have indeed heard of the grace of the gospel, have tasted and seen that it is good, have enjoyed actual benefits from it through fellowship with those who have been saved through faith, still have not demonstrated the faith through which salvation is received. They have effectually said, “This grace is good. We like it. We have some faith…BUT, we are going to 'hedge our bets”' here. We are going with a little 'insurance policy' just in case this grace thing isn’t quite as good as you make it sound. We are going to insure our salvation by placing ourselves back under, and fulfilling, the Law because surely there is something we must do to help in all of this. There simply must be some boxes to 'check' or 'buttons' to push or something. Free salvation sounds great but it just sounds too good to be true.”

Judaizers have come in and told them they must keep the Law and be circumcised or they will not be accepted by God and they have believed them rather than the gospel. This is the whole purpose of this passage from Paul to these Galatians. He tells them they have started well by coming and hearing the gospel and approving of it but he fears for them that they may not attain to salvation because they are considering going back to the Law and Jewish traditions. Paul is attempting here to set them aright that they may not missso great a salvation!”

You have selected the only best verse for Calvinism but the others are not good, in fact they provide assurance but this assurance is for those who WILLINGLY follow Christ until the end. It is their constant walk in the Spirit that gives them that assurance.

Right! And those who have been saved and are the Elect will willingly follow Christ until the end because they “are a new creation. The old has gone. The new has come.” Praise and glory be unto God!!

Asaph George, I am not afraid to be wrong. I pray always that if I am misunderstanding scripture God in heaven will make me aware of it and teach me the truth. Neither do I simply dismiss the things you are writing here. I read every word and carefully consider all you say. I do not presume to be infallible. Only a fool would dare such a thing. Please understand the things I write I try to write in humility. I seek only God’s truth in all things. As of this time I am convinced of my position, as I am certain you are of yours. Let us continue this discussion and learn together. I wish you joy.

May God bless you dear brother in Jesus name

And may God bless you also dear brother in Jesus’ name as we both seek to understand properly the Love Letter our heavenly Father has given us and…

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
20 But ye (who is this ye? the little children) have an unction from the Holy One (how can we say that they are not saved when they have the unction from the Holy One?), and ye know all things.
(not related to osas)

WHO has the unction today ? Who knows all things today ? (NOT to be answered in this forum; rather, rhetorical ; to spur eagerness pressing on in JESUS to the fullness YHVH desires so HE may accomplish in someone all that CHRIST JESUS has laid hold of them for )

• Agree
Reactions: Asaph George
Upvote 0

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
ridiculous comment.
God is the author of salvation, and He does not lose anything.

hahaha, oh really !?

I think last year over 2 million dollars in diamond rings were LOST by someone they were given to , not earned ....

Upvote 0

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
you did not actually understand what i wrote.

That is all good but we have to look at scriptures. The whole thread is to see whether this doctrine fits with the Bible. Not whether I know what the doctrine states.

I know the other position, the question is where do you see that in the bible?

God bless you, All with love!

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

2 Thessalonians 2:11-12 King James Version (KJV)

And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: ... That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. King James Version (KJV)

That says He lost some right there.^^^^^^^^^^^^

ridiculous comment.
God is the author of salvation, and He does not lose anything.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So who exactly on this thread is condoning a professing Christian who willfully practices habitual sin, to be saved? So what is it, are we justified and saved by our works of obedience or the works of Christ? Can’t be both.. and if by Christ’s merits, then the doctrine of “losing ones salvation” is heresy. And a denial of the gospel. How is this any different than what the Judaizers were teaching? I’ll tell you, no different. Because both look to themselves and their works as justification before God. The result of salvation is a life of faith and repentance. It is mere fruit of being regenerated and saved in Christ by Gods elective grace. But many on here don’t believe this and is why they hold to works based salvation
I’m not saying works save us, I am saying faith saves us but if having faith shows our lives to be different to what Jesus teaches us, we don’t really have faith. Simple as that

Upvote 0