Alabama bans Sharia-Law; Muslims claim attack on their religion to ban Sharia Law

Is Alabama right to ban Sharia law?

• No, it is a direct attack on Islam, and it disrespects Muslim countries

• Yes, Sharia law has no place in American courts.

Results are only viewable after voting.

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I want to first address this comment generally before specifically focusing upon the Alabama law.

If the purpose and intent of the law was to discriminate against Islam by forbidding Sharia law, while allowing other religious principles to be considered (Christianity is not forbidden by this law as it is not "foreign law"), then this is not an instance of "maintaining the ideal of separation of church and state." Treating religions differently isn't "maintaining the ideal of separation of church and state."

However, this Alabama amendment isn't as egregious as the title suggests, or as liberals perceive, or as some posters understand the amendment. Sharia law may be relied upon by the Alabama courts and this amendment does not preclude the use of Sharia law by Alabama courts.

Here is the relevant text of the law.

(7) The public policy of this state is to protect its citizens from the application of foreign laws when the application of a foreign law will result in the violation of a right guaranteed by the Alabama Constitution or of the United States Constitution, including, but not limited to, due process, freedom of religion, speech, assembly, or press, or any right of privacy or marriage.

So the Alabama amendment does not preclude the use of Sharia law by the courts but rather, as stated above, the use of Sharia law, while permitted, is qualified by the law quoted above, but not forbidden.

As Professor Volokh so astutely noted, "The amendment would largely just restate that courts may not use foreign law in those cases when “doing so would violate any state law or a right guaranteed by the Constitution of this state or of the United States.” “Amendment banning ‘foreign law’ in Alabama courts passes”? - The Washington Post

Now, it is rather common sense for our courts to at times apply foreign law to resolve an issue, including the application of religious law. As Professor Volokh states, "Normal American “choice of law” principles often call for the application of foreign law in cases that involve foreign transactions, for instance in some tort cases arising from injuries in foreign countries, determining the family status of people who were married or adopted children in foreign countries, and more. American courts wouldn’t enforce foreign rules that violate Americans’ free speech rights, equal protection rights, and so on; but in the great bulk of cases in which foreign law would be applied, there would be no such constitutional problem. The Alabama amendment wouldn’t bar use of foreign law in such cases.

And it wouldn’t bar courts from using religious law, such as Sharia, in those rare situations where American courts may constitutionally use such law, chiefly when they have to apply the foreign law of a country that incorporates Sharia into its legal system."

90% of the time I never read the links in threads. :cheer:

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Imagine her surprise when Hudson County Superior Court Judge Joseph Charles refused to uphold the restraining order because he felt the man brutalizing the teen was doing so out of a desire to live his faith. Furthermore, the Judge found that even though the religious customs clashed with the New Jersey law, Muslim beliefs took precedence.

Leaving aside, for the moment, that it was overturned on appeal and I agree that this was an awful decision...

Where are the CF members to argue 1st Amendment protections for this guy who just wants to act according to his religion?

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Leaving aside, for the moment, that it was overturned on appeal and I agree that this was an awful decision...

Where are the CF members to argue 1st Amendment protections for this guy who just wants to act according to his religion?

First amendment protection is only available to the one true faith, not fake religions.

Reactions: Cute Tink
Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟512,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm glad the ruling was overturned. But it never should have gone to that extreme. And since Sharia law would consider women as property, I could see it easily happening if certain areas were granted Sharia law.

Sharia law treating women as property most likely, if ever, would not be followed by the courts in the U.S., or shouldn't, as this specific aspect of Sharia law isn't compatible with current U.S. laws.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just out of curiosity, who gets to decide what is or isn't "Sharia law"?
I thought it was the local Mullah which is why it varies so vastly from one community/country to the next.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I thought it was the local Mullah which is why it varies so vastly from one community/country to the next.

Perhaps it was, but now that it's been outlawed, it falls to the US judiciary branch to decide what is or isn't Sharia.

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Actually the lawmakers in Alabama have a legitimate reason to do what they did, and that's due to certain judges saying that Shariah law is more important than US law...

Noting that Alalbama is home to Judge Roy Moore, who says that the Bible is more important than US law.

Why not fight fire with fire?

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually the lawmakers in Alabama have a legitimate reason to do what they did, and that's due to certain judges saying that Shariah law is more important than US law...

Embracing Shari?a Law: America?s Blind Spot - Joanne Moudy - Page full

From TFA:

Joanne Moudy is the author of “The Tenth,” a paranormal thriller exploring the very real trauma of abortion in a fictional realm. She proudly served as an officer in the military for nine years, before specializing in emergency nursing until retirement. She speaks regularly on the subjects of religious freedom, traditional marriage, and pro-life, and the impact of liberalism and secularism on all of humanity.

Real persuasive source you have there. Not.

Upvote 0

abdAlSalam

Bearded Marxist
Sep 14, 2012
✟11,120.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ObamaChristian

Jun 21, 2014
✟1,105.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The US already allows for religious arbitration in civil cases. Why do you hate religious freedom so much, Garfield?

Religious arbitration is terrible, and besides Muslims don't nearly have a as well structured religious tribunals as the Jewish Beth Din.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Religious arbitration is terrible, and besides Muslims don't nearly have a as well structured religious tribunals as the Jewish Beth Din.

So let's outlaw the Jewish Beth Din as well.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Is it not redundant to pass a law that "bans ‘foreign laws’ in the state’s legal system?" I obviously agree that people's rights should not be violated by promoters of Sharia law in the United States, but I don't really see the point of this bill.

Upvote 0

abdAlSalam

Bearded Marxist
Sep 14, 2012
✟11,120.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And how do you know that?

And by the way, I wasn't referring to Beth Dins. Christians in the US use religious arbitration all the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ObamaChristian

Jun 21, 2014
✟1,105.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
And how do you know that?

And by the way, I wasn't referring to Beth Dins. Christians in the US use religious arbitration all the time.

Because civil law shouldn't be trumped even by religious arbitration. The only area I'd consent to is contracts. When religious law gets mixed up in issues such as marriage, divorce, and child custody, things get disgusting.

Don't care if it's my religion or not. Religious arbitration is unnecessary.

The last thing I want is Christian ministers, Beth Dins, and Ummahs deciding whether or not people can get married or get divorced. We already see enough pressures from the Jewish community to follow Beth Din tribunals. The last thing we need is a bunch of Muslims wanting to follow their localized versions of the disgusting crap that is Sharia law. No, I don't want the hadith deciding civil matters.

People should always have the freedom to decide what their religion says they can or cannot do. The last thing we need is religious authority figures telling us with the power of law, what is or isn't God's will.

Upvote 0