Pennsylvania
✟791,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
What we knew about the universe one thousand years ago has been replaced by what we know about the universe today and what we know about the universe today will be replaced by what we know about the universe one thousand years from now.
If it is true that what we know now will be replaced by better knowledge, why have the confidence now to say that there is no evidence for a young earth?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If it is true that what we know now will be replaced by better knowledge, why have the confidence now to say that there is no evidence for a young earth?

Because there is no evidence for a young earth. I understand your logic but it simply doesn't work. What attempts to pass as evidence for a young earth is merely smoke generated by hucksters. While I admire their efforts to defend their faith, it is a faith of only recent origin.

• Agree
Reactions: Job 33:6
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I updated my last post btw.

Oh ... so it's a matter of respect (admiration)? Hmmmm.
Well, im not saying that they have to be admired per se.’ I’m not a scientist so I must rely on those who are reputable to teach me. Why would I want to learn from someone who doesn’t have the respect of his peers?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
Here is a project for any christian who believes that a universe is Biblical.

Using only The Bible draw/illustrate the creation descriptions given in The Bible. Post verses that show your drawings/illustrations are true to The Bible's descriptions

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, im not saying that they have to be admired per se.’ I’m not a scientist so I must rely on those who are reputable to teach me. Why would I want to learn from someone who doesn’t have the respect of his peers?

Many of the "peer groups" discount interpretations of gathered information of scientists that are Christian (it doesn't fit their evolution model) ... then is that respectful? Should scientists who are Christians be excluded and/or deemed not credible by the "peer groups" or ourselves just because they are Christians?

Do you think the possibility of being bias within the scientific peer groups is a possibility?

If a person refutes intelligent design they have a biased outlook.

If a person refutes evolution they have a biased outlook.

Some try and mingle to two ... whereas they are mutually exclusive, according to Genesis.

So .... shouldn't we look at and give equal consideration to both?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Because there is no evidence for a young earth. I understand your logic but it simply doesn't work. What attempts to pass as evidence for a young earth is merely smoke generated by hucksters. While I admire their efforts to defend their faith, it is a faith of only recent origin.
My point had nothing to do with a young earth. It had to do with your statement; allow me to rephrase: You suppose that just as your current belief replaced the old, your current belief will be replaced with a newer one. My question is, then, why the confidence in your current belief, if you know it will also be shown inaccurate.

Makes me think of my ever-dogmatic father-in-law, of whom I would say that he can change his opinion in mid-argument without losing any vehemence!

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Many of the "peer groups" discount interpretations of gathered information of scientists that are Christian (it doesn't fit their evolution model) ... then is that respectful? Should scientists who are Christians be excluded and/or deemed not credible by the "peer groups" or ourselves just because they are Christians?

Do you think the possibility of being bias within the scientific peer groups is a possibility?

If a person refutes intelligent design they have a biased outlook.

If a person refutes evolution they have a biased outlook.

Some try and mingle to two ... whereas they are mutually exclusive, according to Genesis.

So .... shouldn't we look at and give equal consideration to both?

You make a good point: We are all biased, even when we make an 'honest' effort not to be.

But describe how Genesis shows them to be mutually exclusive. I don't recall Genesis even mentioning evolution.

No, a Christian should allow Scripture to trump current scientific claims, if they are in any way mutually exclusive. But yes, we should study both if possible.

It IS possible to hold both our understanding of Scripture (from our Christian bias) and our understanding of current scientists' claims at somewhat of a distance. Self-skepticism is very healthy, in my opinion.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You make a good point: We are all biased, even when we make an 'honest' effort not to be.

But describe how Genesis shows them to be mutually exclusive. I don't recall Genesis even mentioning evolution.

The Genesis account states God created everything fully formed (opposite of evolution).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
The Genesis account states God created everything fully formed (opposite of evolution).
But it doesn't say how he did it, nor if from another point of view (such as God's) it could not have taken millions of years.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But it doesn't say how he did it, nor if from another point of view (such as God's) it could not have taken millions of years.

sure it does .... and God said (spoke) and it happened.

Example:

King James Bible
And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
sure it does .... and God said (spoke) and it happened.

Example:

King James Bible
And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
But we can't see from his point of view.

I agree, and you will see me say concerning what you said above, in many of my posts, that it is more than possible that God even spoke the Bride of Christ into complete fullness upon speaking it, and that time is but an envelope at best, into his creation. But that said, the rate at which things happen within that envelope is subject to a wide point of view difference.

Even in current science that says time is relative, we have no idea (being within only our point of view) how God sees time, nor even how fast something in our neighborhood happens, would be seen from another neighborhood.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But we can't see from his point of view.

I agree, and you will see me say concerning what you said above, in many of my posts, that it is more than possible that God even spoke the Bride of Christ into complete fullness upon speaking it, and that time is but an envelope at best, into his creation. But that said, the rate at which things happen within that envelope is subject to a wide point of view difference.

Even in current science that says time is relative, we have no idea (being within only our point of view) how God sees time, nor even how fast something in our neighborhood happens, would be seen from another neighborhood.

we see from His point of view everyday (as far as creation goes) ....

Romans 1
New International Version
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

God is eternal (timeless) .... we humans are constrained by time.

The concept of time was created for humanity by God in Genesis 1:14-19.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
we see from His point of view everyday (as far as creation goes) ....

Romans 1
New International Version
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

God is eternal (timeless) .... we humans are constrained by time.

The concept of time was created for humanity by God in Genesis 1:14-19.
I disagree. It is impossible to see from his point of view. Romans 1 only demonstrates that we are without excuse, (as it is obvious this world did not happen by itself). It doesn't say that what we see is what he sees.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I disagree. It is impossible to see from his point of view. Romans 1 only demonstrates that we are without excuse, (as it is obvious this world did not happen by itself). It doesn't say that what we see is what he sees.

He sees everything .... can we believe that he does? Yes. Do we need to know how that is possible? No

Point is ... in regard to what we do see ... it is enough to make it clear that the world/universe didn't happen by itself (as you said)

Omnipresence refers to god who exists everywhere all at once. Tuff concept to grasp ;o)

God's omnipresence means that He is present everywhere, all the time. His presence is not limited by time or space. (we are limited) Because God created the universe, He is above all things and holds all things together (Colossians 1:17).

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God given to man and man has measured the universe fairly accurate - according to the measures of time given to man by God.

How do we know that time has always passed at the same rate ???

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Jesus created Adam, he was created with age built in.

When Jesus turned the water into good wine in an instant he served good wine that had age built in.

We can have a 6000 year beginning with age built in.

Seeing age then does not prove time of beginning.

Reactions: Sheila Davis
Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
When Jesus created Adam, he was created with age built in.

When Jesus turned the water into good wine in an instant he served good wine that had age built in.

We can have a 6000 year beginning with age built in.

Seeing age then does not prove time of beginning.

Good point __ that is why I generally try to say the measure of time God gave to man. God stands outside of time and fashion it any way he chooses.

Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced

I can only give what the so name experts said. Theory of relativity and warped gravity I never studied nor really have reason to.
Why Time Is Relative, Explained in Under 3 Minutes

‘Time is elastic’: Why time passes faster atop a mountain than at sea level

Even if God literally created the earth and the heavens 6,000 years ago with the age of billions of years included _ to man's sense of God-given time, the universe and the Earth would be old. Wouldn't it?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Good point. In order for time to be calculated properly the "clock" must be set at zero and move on from there. There is no universal clock ... when time began from a scientific point a view is simply what one believes/theorized not factual .... there is no way of proving it.

Relativity, Einstein determined that time is relative—in other words, the rate at which time passes depends on your frame of reference. That frame of reference can be anything you decide it to be.

Einstein also said time is an illusion

Albert Einstein once wrote: People like us who believe in physics know that the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion. Time, in other words, he said, is an illusion. Many physicists since have shared this view, that true reality is timeless.

Without planet earth how would time be measured? What would be the frame of reference?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Years ago, I was in conversation with a saint who said that if you graph the age of the patriarchs it comes out like a growth curve.

This would account for the extreme age of these guys if the rate of time was growing...

Jesus also spoke of shortening the days for the sake of the elect during the tribulation.

Upvote 0