Florida
✟324,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you believe God created the Universe billions of years ago or approx. 6,000 years ago and why?
Also, is there any credible, scientific evidence for a young earth?

There is no credible scientific evidence for a young earth. It is completely out of the question. I personally believe that the universe is as old as the universe is and there's not much more to it. What we knew about the universe one thousand years ago has been replaced by what we know about the universe today and what we know about the universe today will be replaced by what we know about the universe one thousand years from now.

Reactions: Job 33:6
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is no credible scientific evidence for a young earth. It is completely out of the question. I personally believe that the universe is as old as the universe is and there's not much more to it. What we knew about the universe one thousand years ago has been replaced by what we know about the universe today and what we know about the universe today will be replaced by what we know about the universe one thousand years from now.
That’s kind of where I’m leaning and why on earth can’t the LCMS understand that and change their teaching or at least leave it up to the individual like the Catholics?

Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Do you believe God created the Universe billions of years ago or approx. 6,000 years ago and why?

I believe God created the earth a lot further back than 6,000 years ago. I believe science is God given to man and man has measured the universe fairly accurate - according to the measures of time given to man by God.
I believe the Earth was once named Eden and renamed earth once Satan and 1/3 of the Angels was cast down to it. I believe the war that took place in the heavens, the Earth was caught in the middle of it that is what happened to the dinosaurs, and if some ministers are right that would be why scripture may say the Earth "became" void and without form, that would be why the Lord said to be fruitful and multiply and "replenish" the Earth.
There are two Scriptures that should make one think _ 1) one day to God is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as one day. And that thousand years can be replaced with millions or billions of years ..... 2) Things which is seen is not made of things which do appear. What does that scripture indicate. What are visible things actually made of? There are many things God just won't tell us.

And as far as I know there is no scientific evidence of a young Earth.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That’s kind of where I’m leaning and why on earth can’t the LCMS understand that and change their teaching or at least leave it up to the individual like the Catholics?

You'll find that a lot of Protestant denominations have cut themselves off from the early Church. In doing so they have cut themselves off from the teachings of the earliest Christians. As to this case, Origen in 220 or so AD -with no scientific evidence whatsoever- determined that the six day creation account of Genesis could not be literal based on the internal wording of Genesis itself. Since his time there has never been a defined teaching on the age of the earth. You'll find differing opinions on creation here and there among Christian commentators throughout history but still no defined teaching. And in the end, it is completely irrelevant to salvation or to the relationship between God and man.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You'll find that a lot of Protestant denominations have cut themselves off from the early Church. In doing so they have cut themselves off from the teachings of the earliest Christians. As to this case, Origen in 220 or so AD -with no scientific evidence whatsoever- determined that the six day creation account of Genesis could not be literal based on the internal wording of Genesis itself. Since his time there has never been a defined teaching on the age of the earth. You'll find differing opinions on creation here and there among Christian commentators throughout history but still no defined teaching. And in the end, it is completely irrelevant to salvation or to the relationship between God and man.
Tomorrow morning I’m going to the Catholic Church down the street.

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,879.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tomorrow morning I’m going to the Catholic Church down the street.
You should probably read why Lutherans are not Catholics, first. The age of the universe was not the reason of the wars between them. There are more fundamental and more serious theological issues. For example, regarding salvation.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't think (or I no longer think) that the universe started out as a big bang, but that it was laid out like a sheet or a canvas and then was started out or was initiated from or by a Creator from there, and because of this I do not think anyone can know just exactly how old or young it is, but within my current theory, it could have been around for a very, very, very long time, and whenever it started; and it maybe could be as old as they say, maybe, etc, because that part could still be right maybe, but and/or anyway, I still believe it was laid out like a sheet or a canvas regardless, and was started out like that from there regardless, and I also think it is also perpetual afterwards from that starting point now regardless, and could go on forever now regardless, etc, unless it is uncreated or is destroyed/replaced/made again by it's original Creator, because other than that, I think it now cycles/recycles all of the time and constantly now, and will now have no end now ever apart from that ever, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't think (or I no longer think) that the universe started out as a big bang, but that it was laid out like a sheet or a canvas and then was started out or was initiated from or by a Creator from there, and because of this I do not think anyone can know just exactly how old or young it is, but within my current theory, it could have been around for a very, very, very long time, and whenever it started; and it maybe could be as old as they say, maybe, etc, because that part could still be right maybe, but and/or anyway, I still believe it was laid out like a sheet or a canvas regardless, and was started out like that from there regardless, and I also think it is also perpetual afterwards from that starting point now regardless, and could go on forever now regardless, etc, unless it is uncreated or is destroyed/replaced/made again by it's original Creator, because other than that, I think it now cycles/recycles all of the time and constantly now, and will now have no end now ever apart from that ever, etc...

God Bless!
And if they are right about the age of it, then I think it lends even more credence to the/my theory about it being laid out like a sheet or a canvas and started out from there due the sheer size of it that we know right now currently, etc...

Or IOW's, if the age of it is right or correct, it pretty much proves that there could not have been a big bang due to the sheer size of it, because if it were by a big bang, the universe would have to be very, very, very much older than they currently say it is, etc...

Like "way, way, way older", etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

First off there is no mention of God creating a universe, in The Bible when it speaks of God's creation it is heaven and earth.
Who made heaven and earth,
The sea, and all that is in them;
Who keeps truth forever,

The idea that God created a universe* is a science fabricated idea.

*When i use the word universe, it is as science uses it, where the sun, moon and stars and even planets (another fabricated idea from science). Are out in thousands, to millions, to billions of miles and light years away out in a place they call outer space. That is not a Biblical description of God's creation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

No, and no.

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

I don't find the 6000 year time schema to be Biblical. It has a lot of Scriptural hermeneutical issues. It's become a convenient schema of modern dispensationalism; as that eschatological schema believes the 1000 year reign is still to happen.

If one were to take the genealogies in the Bible and line them up end to end; except in the places where the Bible is pretty specific that person B was stated to be the direct son of person A; you'd get an earth that's a little over 13,000 years old by our current time. 13,034 years old at this point.

Now as far as the construction of the cosmos and how space was set up; (are these other star constellations we call galaxies really millions of light years away)? We can't really say because we are making assumptions about some means of constancy in physics or space, that may not be true; or may not have been true though the course of time. (I.E. we don't have a means of accurately measuring how far away those galaxies really are. We are making assumptions based on our current understanding of the speed of light. And our current understanding of the speed of light is only based on theory.)

Is there "scientific evidence" of a "young earth"? To answer that question, you'd first have to define specifically what you'd call "scientific evidence". Are we talking about things that can only be replicated and observed or are we talking about adding theories into that "evidence". (A theory by definition is not evidence.)

Is there evidence that things on the surface of this planet can change very quickly? Yes there is. Look at the landscape of the north west prior and than after Mt Saint Helen's erupted. This is only in 40 years and Mt. Saint Helen's certainly aint the largest volcano that has ever erupted. Its eruption created a landslide, which drastically changed the local landscape. And now (I think it's Turtle River Pass) looks like a miniature version of the Grand Canyon. Evidence that it doesn't take millions of years to carve out a canyon. The Grand Canyon was not made by millions of years of erosion. It was made by combination volcanic and seismic activity. (As well as lots of water = Noah's flood.)

Water can potentially be an incredibly destructive force. Take a look at the tsunami that hit South East Asia about 15 or so years ago. There were islands that it literally washed everything off the island.

Striking Images of Mount St. Helens Before, After and Now

Also, there are some interesting ancient sea mariner's maps. They speak of Jupiter and Saturn having been flung out of their usual orbits by the entrance of a comet that thus got caught in the gravitation field of our sun, which they named the comet "Venus". Did "Venus" collide with a planet that once existed between Mars and Jupiter and thus we have "the asteroid belt". That is a theory.

There are a lot of other theories and historical information out there that don't get published into "scientific journals" because they don't support the "evolutionary billions of years old" narrative.

Now there are plenty of things we do know in fields of biology and sciences that are heavy in the application of mathematics, that much more support the ideas of intelligent design over random chaotic happenstance. Via mathematical probability; the chance of one ameba coming into existence in 4 billion years is pretty much nil. None to say an ecosystem with the variety of life that is as complex as this planet is.

So no, we (as life forms) didn't get here by a "big bang" and billions of years is not required to account for what we see today.

Now if you wanted to talk about "big bang"; God's initial creation of matter out of nothing could qualify.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I think that part of the challenge is that some people are born and raised believing earth is young. It's what they were taught from a young age. Spiritual leaders that inspired them and raised them instilled this in them. And in some cases, as adults, YECs instill this same teaching in their own children and in others.

So if you show up out of the blue and pull the rug out from under them, you're calling into question everything they've ever known. You're calling into question the competency or quality of teaching a of those that inspired them, you're calling into question sometimes what they've instilled in their own children, and you're also re arranging their entire worldview and outlook in ways that presumably would be terrifying for them.

That's the best I can make sense of things.

And so it's not really about evidence at the end of the day. It's about some sort of deep seated structuring of their mindset.

Then beyond that, you have churches that depend on tithing from YECs, so there may also be hesitancy to rock the boat, damage relationships among the congregation and hurt the church body in concerns over division, and this may deter church leaders from approaching these topics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm dont have a clue on how old the earth is but it seems more likely that it is older than 6000 years.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-​

First off there is no mention of God creating a universe, in The Bible when it speaks of God's creation it is heaven and earth.
Who made heaven and earth,
The sea, and all that is in them;
Who keeps truth forever,

The idea that God created a universe* is a science fabricated idea.

*When i use the word universe, it is as science uses it, where the sun, moon and stars and even planets (another fabricated idea from science). Are out in thousands, to millions, to billions of miles and light years away out in a place they call outer space. That is not a Biblical description of God's creation.
If God did not create the universe then who did ?

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If God did not create the universe then who did ?

There is no universe as defined by science. Where the sun, moon, stars and (planets) exist in a area dubbed outer space. Where they are, as science states millions/billions/trillion of miles or light years away.

God's creation is plainly stated and described in Genesis 1. The sun, moon and stars are place in the raqia (dome/expanse) above the earth. Where the Bible states the raqia is separating two bodies of water, one body of water is the sea/ocean. The other body of water is above the raqia. With the created lights placed in the raqia between these two bodies of water.

Then God said, “Let there be a expanse/dome (raqia) in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.”

And God called the expanse/dome (raqia) Heaven. So the evening and the morning were the second day.

Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also. God set them in the expanse/dome (raqia) of the heavens to give light on the earth,

• Agree
Reactions: Job 33:6
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no universe as defined by science. Where the sun, moon, stars and (planets) exist in a area dubbed outer space. Where they are, as science states millions/billions/trillion of miles or light years away.

God's creation is plainly stated and described in Genesis 1. The sun, moon and stars are place in the raqia (dome/expanse) above the earth. Where the Bible states the raqia is separating two bodies of water, one body of water is the sea/ocean. The other body of water is above the raqia. With the created lights placed in the raqia between these two bodies of water.

Then God said, “Let there be a expanse/dome (raqia) in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.”

And God called the expanse/dome (raqia) Heaven. So the evening and the morning were the second day.

Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also. God set them in the expanse/dome (raqia) of the heavens to give light on the earth,
Never heard of such a thing as no universe. Curious as to who teaches this. Flat earthers ? Universe is just another word to describe outer space, the cosmos.
Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

What or who do you consider "credible"?

I say that because .... there are scientists who are Christian and as soon as that is known .... for the most part .... their interpretation of data that has been collected is immediately dismissed by many and are mostly labeled as not being "credible".

I think we should keep an open mind about these things ... that is how the information is interpreted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Evidence taught by reputable, well respected scientists.I’ve been reading AiG, Creation.com and ICR but think they aren’t credible sources.

I updated my last post btw.

Oh ... so it's a matter of respect (admiration)? Hmmmm.

Upvote 0