catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hopefully people will realize that the 42 generations between Adam and Christ fit perfectly with an old Earth -- the Earth can be however old, a microsecond or a billion years, however much happened, before the first Day of Creation in Genesis chapter 1. Just look at the text and see. (Why does this matter? It can matter for those that built their faith itself on a young Earth idea, instead of the basis in Matthew 7:24-27, so that they are vulnerable to the storms of life, when wrong ideas get shown wrong. We need to be truly on the rock Christ says, not a YEC idea, to avoid that outcome in verse 27.)

But in any case, the best way to read Genesis chapter 1 is to forget all the noise and arguments.

Entirely.

And truly listen to the Word, as if you just woke up on the first dawn of the world.

And let the Word change you.

That means we are silent, not doing the talking about our theories.

Instead, we listen to the Word, and because we listen, without saying "ah-ha, that's proves I'm right" and other noise, but truly listen instead, then we can hear, and be changed.

That's the only good way to read scripture -- being humble, and listening, and desiring to be taught, and changed, by the Word.

• Agree
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You have not in any way shown where I have twisted scripture or made it to "fit" evolution.

What you replied to doesn't say I said that. You'll need you quote what exactly you are replying to so I can understand exactly where you are coming from.

You have not in any way directly addressed what was put forth but rather you simply dismissed in a vague manner without substance.

You'll need to be a little less vague. What exactly did I not address and I will see for myself if I did or not, and go from there,

Can you show me the list of "could have beens" aside from addressing Adam.

Why? They are anything that you don't see directly written, where things were stretched or pulled from thin air...they are easy to find. Of course I'm not going to spend time on a list.

If at some point you actually choose to specifically address the subject we can have a discussion:

What does "Let the land produce..." mean? How is it not mediate creation?

I discussed that already/gave my thoughts on what it means, how am I wrong?
And BTW, I didn't "simply dismiss it in a vague manner without substance" bringing up the question.. why the false accusations?? I thought your thoughts were wild, and you seem to want me to prove that, lol, when you know perfectly well you will not accept anything I say as proof so no sense in anything further...just being realistic.

Remember what I said about you can ague with anything, well, that's where we are, an endless argument. I disagree with your take on the bible, wholeheartedly. The reasons doen't really matter and since I have seen your views already, and know they will remain the same, there is no more point.

That's why the "we just disagree" concept is as popular as it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hopefully people will realize that the 42 generations between Adam and Christ fit perfectly with an old Earth -- the Earth can be however old, a microsecond or a billion years,

How would 42 generations fit perfectly with a billion years? Or for that matter, a microsecond?

Also, how can you say it fits perfecly at all when you are indicating you admittedly have no idea how old the earth is?

I must have missed something in those posts, or at least I'll assume for the moment I did.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it just seems easier to keep up with

this is off the top of my head!!!!
easy to memoirize

adam - about 4000bc

noah and ark -add 1500 years...2500 bc

abraham - add 500 years ----2000 bc

moses - add 500 years ----- 1500bc

david - add 500 ---- 1000bc

babylon exile - add 500 -- - 500bc

Messiah - add 500 -------- -0

crusades to take jerusalem - add 1000 --1000ad

columbus and luther - add 500 ---- 1500 ad

state of Israel, city of Jerusalem -add 500 --2000ad

this is obviously aproximate within 50 years either way

That sure is jumping through a lot of hoops for an unsure result
that don't jive:

Habakkuk 3:6 When he stops, the earth shakes. When he looks, the nations tremble. He shatters
the everlasting mountains and levels the eternal hills.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
THAT is what Yahweh says is important (and the way to LIFE).

Gen 49
The blessings of your father have surpassed the blessings of the
ancient mountains and the bounty of
the everlasting hills.
May they rest on the head of Joseph, on the brow of the prince of his brothers.

Everlasting
olam: long duration, antiquity, futurity
Original Word: עוֹלָם
Phonetic Spelling: (o-lawm')
Short Definition: forever

Definition
long duration, antiquity, futurity
NASB Translation
ages (1), all successive (1), always (1), ancient (13), ancient times (3), continual (1), days of old (1), eternal (2), eternity (3), ever (10), Everlasting (2), everlasting (110), forever (136), forever and ever (1), forever* (70), forevermore* (1), lasting (1), long (2), long ago (3), long past (1), long time (3), never* (17), old (11), permanent (10), permanently (1), perpetual (29), perpetually (1).

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand that the importance is linked to the definitive statement that Moses made in relation to keeping the Sabbath: For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day.
If Moses was wrong about this, then what else was he wrong about?
Deuteronomy 33:15
with the best of the ancient mountains and the bounty of the everlasting hills,

Genesis 49:26

• Informative
Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Kenny'sID wrote - "Just to many changes form the simple word has to come into play, in order to make evolution work."

Why not detail for me the "Changes" that I made to scripture? Otherwise this is just an unsubstantiated claim and a vague general non-specific contention of little value. If you mean interpretation as opposed to changes then still you need to show where exactly it is amiss and how I'm reading into the passage to "make evolution work". In order to do that one would need to show how scripture is being "stretched" or twisted.

Kenny'sID wrote - "It's as though someone pulled that out of scripture to make it work with evolution and no one would think any such thing had the theory of evolution never been introduced."

Simple, what was "pulled out" of scripture? Is DNA in the bible?, Atoms, electrons, protons, etc., etc., in the bible? Give some consideration to Romans 1:20...or would you suggest that if it isn't in the Bible we can have no "understanding"?

Kenny'sID wrote - "At any rate seems a lot of stretch, and "leaning unto our own understanding", as well as assumptions, to reach your possible conclusion, something that also leaves questions/confusion, or us knowing nothing concrete."

Again, general and vague response... where is the stretch? How is it "leaning...understanding"? What assumptions? What are the questions? What confusion? "Nothing Concrete"... Do you understand all things? It is only a stretch to you because it disagrees with your interpretation... but if you were to read other posts on this thread you will find many in disagreement with your interpretation.

Kenny'sID wrote - "Then there is that thing were God is not a God of confusion, while again, that leaves us confused/guessing in the end. I'd think, just as he told it like it was with creation, he would have simply said they evolved if they did...but he did not, why would he not?

What is confusing? That God used processes just as we see in the natural world today? Again, specifically address your contention... As I pointed out to you and you did not answer, if as in Gen. 1:3 is clearly immediate - "And God said, Let there be light and there was light"...So if all creation was immediate why was this pattern not followed as in And God said, "Let there be living creatures and there was living creatures"? So wouldn't he simply have stated as in Gen. 1:3 the immediate? You said , below, "he's smart enough to make us understand..." so why not use the pattern of Gen. 1:3? Again, no answer from you on this...

Kenny'sID wrote - "And he's smart enough to make us understand anything, dispelling the popular argument, he put it the way he did because "we wouldn't understand evolution" ...yet another completely unbiblical "leaning to our our understanding" not his word."

Nobody doubts that he could make us understand, then why isn't it specifically stated in the bible as to the exact time? In truth YEC and strict creationists (those rejecting any plausible interpretations other than immediacy and "6,000 years") do in fact "lean on their own understanding" dismissing any evidence to the contrary and being open to reasoned and hermeneutically sound interpretations, Romans 1:20. It is also "unbiblical" to not use our God given reason to plumb the depths of scripture, and rather to just muddle along based on our own pedantic understanding. So do you believe in pre-trib, post-trib, midtrib, or even no-trib and why isn't it made so clear that there is no room for discussion? (As you note "he's smart enough to make us understand anything"... so why do opinions vary?)

Kenny'sID wrote - "It's simply my opinion, an opinion that I have no doubt is shared by many, that you are adding so many unfounded "could have beens" that you end up pulling something from scripture that is far from the simple story being told there. "

True, it is simply your opinion...it may be shared by many so I will wait for them to respond. If you think that the creation of the universe, earth, and all of life is simple...so be it. It may be simple on the surface to say "God created" and we would all here agree but to "understand the things that have been made" is far from simple...otherwise the Bible would explain all of the scientific discoveries over the past hundreds - thousands of years...

Kenny'sID wrote - "Let the water/land bring forth" the water and land are home to things being brought since it was spoken and up to now, things being born of bodies (brought forth) created by God, but some want to lean unto their own understanding, and once the bible is stretched so far that's what it becomes, our own understanding/no longer the truth, a stretch of the simple truths of the bible because "we are smart", we then end up with things like theories and unproven confusion, like evolution....or the unreasonable."

Again, this says very little to address the mediate command..."the water and land are home to things being brought since it was spoken and up to now, things being born of bodies (brought forth) created by God..., a very confusing and muddled reply. Where does the bible say that the land and water are "home to things" in the creation narrative, of course we can reason this but it says little about the actual details of creation. "Things being born of bodies (brought forth) created by God" once again, how were the bodies created since the bible says nothing like this, rather it says "Let the land produce... ? What you don't address is the HOW based on scripture so it seems you are the one "leaning" and "stretching" and "own understanding" and "no longer the truth". You have absolutely no proof that a) the universe/earth is 6,000 or so years old. b) That God did not create through processes. c) That scripture is being "stretched"... rather your responses amount to my
"overthinking", "Reason can get out of hand", "some want to lean unto their own understanding", "bible is stretched", ".../no longer the truth", "we are smart", "unreasonable" and none of these speak to what the scripture/passages actually say. Again, answers these specifically or question me on my interpretation without the vague responses as listed above....

What does "Let the land produce..." mean?
How is it not mediate creation?
Was the command sufficient to create?
If the command was sufficient then why would it be necessary to qualify as "God made"?
Gen. 1:3 is clearly immediate - And God said, Let there be light and there was light"...So if all creation was immediate why was this pattern not followed as in And God said, "Let there be living creatures and there was living creatures"?
Why the often use of "And it was so" after the command to created matter?
The command was to the "land"/earth/dust and we are told that man and animal are from the same substance what does that suggest?
Do you not see a structure of creation as was noted with Gen. 1?
We know that plant, animal, and human life involves a process why is it so anathema that this same process was from the beginning?

If you want to continue to avoid answering the specific questions based solely on a plain reading of Genesis then it is just a waste of time. If you want to have a serious discussion please respond to the questions again without general statements that have little bearing on the words of scripture. You want to claim that you've addressed the questions...please show me where and if I didn't respond.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How would 42 generations fit perfectly with a billion years? Or for that matter, a microsecond?

Also, how can you say it fits perfecly at all when you are indicating you admittedly have no idea how old the earth is?

I must have missed something in those posts, or at least I'll assume for the moment I did.
Did I not include how in that post? Sorry! It's because we are not told how much time passes during verse 1 before Day 1 of creation began. Please see this post:
https://www.christianforums.com/thr...y-is-it-relevant.8071666/page-9#post-72908018

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did I not include how in that post? Sorry! It's because we are not told how much time passes during verse 1 before Day 1 of creation began. Please see this post:
https://www.christianforums.com/thr...y-is-it-relevant.8071666/page-9#post-72908018

Your linked post was the one I was replying too. Then you are suggesting the "beginning" (the beginning that was included within the evening and the morning of the first day) mentioned in the creation scripture was not the beginning of us, and that there was another beginning, where man was created before the Adam of the scripture in question?

Just trying to be clear on what you are saying before I comment on it, nothing more.

The time passed before the biblical beginning/day one is irrelevant, as the scripture is plain the beginning of our universe/our existence was at the "beginning". IOW, there may have been nothing in the time before "the beginning" or God just had angels, or other planets, whatever, but again our universe/mans life is plainly mentioned as beginning in the beginning in Genesis.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your linked post was the one I was replying too. Then you are suggesting the "beginning" (the beginning that was included within the evening and the morning of the first day) mentioned in the creation scripture was not the beginning of us, and that there was another beginning, where man was created before the Adam of the scripture in question?

Just trying to be clear on what you are saying before I comment on it, nothing more.

The time passed before the biblical beginning/day one is irrelevant, as the scripture is plain the beginning of our universe/our existence was at the "beginning". IOW, there may have been nothing in the time before "the beginning" or God just had angels, or other planets, whatever, but again our universe/mans life is plainly mentioned as beginning in the beginning in Genesis.
Much simpler. When God was creating the heavens and earth -- the amount of time that passes during verse 1 -- all before the moment of first light onto Earth... how much time? We are not told. Why? Because it does not matter how long that was. It could be 9 billion years for instance. Also we are not told how long Earth existed before that first light onto Earth.

If soneone says it has to be no time or a few hours, etc., that's not biblical.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Much simpler. When God was creating the heavens and earth -- the amount of time that passes during verse 1 -- all before the moment of first light onto Earth... how much time? We are not told. Why? Because it does not matter how long that was. It could be 9 billion years for instance. Also we are not told how long Earth existed before that first light onto Earth.

If soneone says it has to be no time or a few hours, etc., that's not biblical.

I understand that, the reason I mentioned things that may have been around before our first day/beginning. I just don't see how any of that past can play into the generations of man if there were no men in the past before our geneses beginning..

Since I didn't get an answer to what I asked, but judging from what you did say, I'll assume you feel man was around before creation of our universe.

As far as commenting on that, if my understanding is correct, I suppose it speaks for itself so no need.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand that, the reason I mentioned things that may have been around before our first day/beginning. I just don't see how any of that past can play into the generations of man if there were no men in the past before our geneses beginning..

Since I didn't get an answer to what I asked, but judging from what you did say, I'll assume you feel man was around before creation of our universe.

As far as commenting on that, if my understanding is correct, I suppose it speaks for itself so no need.
That answer to that question is " much simpler..."

No such complex, wild, bizzare out-there weird idea like "I'll assume you feel man was around before creation of our universe." <--Weird stuff! Does anyone think something like that? lol. I guess with 2 billion believers there may be someone that thinks such a wild idea that in fact directly contradicts Genesis chapter 1.

No, really really simple.

God created the heavens and the Earth, and it likely took some amount of time, and we aren't told how much, and all ideas about how much, including zero or little time, are theories and speculative, and not biblical. That's all. No matter how much anyone likes their own idea about that length of time -- including the popular assumption it was during the first Day -- it's an idea of people, and it is not in the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That answer to that question is " much simpler..."

No such complex, wild, bizzare out-there weird idea like "I'll assume you feel man was around before creation of our universe." <--Weird stuff! Does anyone think something like that? lol. I guess with 2 billion believers there may be someone that thinks such a wild idea that in fact directly contradicts Genesis chapter 1.

If it was so weird, why wouldn't you address it? If you are saying the generations fit with old earth then you have to be saying just that, that there were men/generations before Adam. Why are you tip toeing away from that? I'll leave it at that but know, my comment was far from weird but the one that brought it on was.

No, really really simple.

God created the heavens and the Earth, and it likely took some amount of time, and we aren't told how much, and all ideas about how much, including zero or little time, are theories and speculative, and not biblical. That's all. No matter how much anyone likes their own idea about that length of time -- including the popular assumption it was during the first Day -- it's an idea of people, and it is not in the Bible.

Likely took some time? How bout the other days where he did so much in a single day...I mean the days that you cannot say weren't days? So you see, it's not necessarily likely it took that long at all...I's not like God can't do a whole lot of creating even in a single day, so it would actually be more likely he did it in a short time. It only took the time it took to say "let there be light" to create the sun.;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it was so weird, why wouldn't you address it? If you are saying the generations fit with old earth then you have to be saying just that, that there were men/generations before Adam. Why are you tip toeing away from that? I'll leave it at that but know, my comment was far from weird but the one that brought it on was.

Likely took some time? How bout the other days where he did so much in a single day...I mean the days that you cannot say weren't days? So you see, it's not necessarily likely it took that long at all...I's not like God can't do a whole lot of creating even in a single day, so it would actually be more likely he did it in a short time. It only took the time it took to say "let there be light" to create the sun.;)
We aren't discussing whether God created -- whether He can create, can replace this universe within any certain amount of time.

We are speculating ( both of us, anyone else) about how much mere quantity time passed after God created Earth before Earth received its first ever light. Time duration during verses 1 and 2, before the moment of first light in verse 3.

I'm saying every speculation on this is just speculation, including the zero and little time speculations -- the Young Earth speculations. Total speculation, not biblical.

Both Young and Old Earth are ideas of men, not in the Bible.

Why? Because the Bible is about profound things, and mere time duration on this is unimportant, and that's why it's not given in scripture. Instead of meaningful truth, all such we come up with about time duration of verses 1-2, before 3, is only people speculating, whether educated guessing or intuition or what I always thought or what the preacher said (speculated, believed, mistook), etc.

The Bible isn't about chemistry, geology, mechanics, etc. The age of Earth--irrelevant.

It's about saving our souls. Not trivial stuff.

Genesis chapter 1 can alter our minds for the better, if we Listen.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We aren't discussing whether God created -- whether He can create, can replace this universe within any certain amount of time.

We are speculating ( both of us, anyone else) about how much mere quantity time passed after God created Earth before Earth received its first ever light. Time duration during verses 1 and 2, before the moment of first light in verse 3.

I'm saying every speculation on this is just speculation, including the zero and little time speculations -- the Young Earth speculations. Total speculation, not biblical.

Both Young and Old Earth are ideas of men, not in the Bible.

Why? Because the Bible is about profound things, and mere time duration on this is unimportant, and that's why it's not given in scripture. Instead of meaningful truth, all such we come up with about time duration of verses 1-2, before 3, is only people speculating, whether educated guessing or intuition or what I always thought or what the preacher said (speculated, believed, mistook), etc.

The Bible isn't about chemistry, geology, mechanics, etc. The age of Earth--irrelevant.

It's about saving our souls. Not trivial stuff.

Genesis chapter 1 can alter our minds for the better, if we Listen.

No, you're not speculating, you're saying it's untrue, it's ideas of people.

Also, you keep switching the arguments in in order to avoid the arguments at hand...probably a good idea to conclude with that.

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, you're not speculating, you're saying it's untrue, it's ideas of people.

Also, you keep switching the arguments in in order to avoid the arguments at hand...probably a good idea to conclude with that.

See, I believe God created all that is, just as said in Genesis chapter 1, and I can see that we can't learn in scripture the (trivial) quantity of years of how old Earth is, the topic of this thread. That's what I've said above, and tried to communicate. Have a good Sunday.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so I'm going to start off by stating my position just so we're clear. I believe the "new earth" theory is nonsense.

However, the purpose of this post isn't to debate the age of the earth, but rather, I'm trying to sort out why it matters how old the earth is?? It seems in my experience, new earthers tend to be obsessively dogmatic in holding this position. It's not sufficient that simply they hold this worldview, it's necessary everyone else does as well. Is there an underlying philosophical position I'm missing here?

We can't learn how old Earth is (mere time quantity) in scripture without speculative assumptions/guesses, or added ideas or information not in scripture.

But the age of Earth is ultimately trivial, compared to the real content of the Bible.

God created all that is, and that's only the beginning.

• Winner
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0