• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured Adam and Eve..

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Tutorman, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Yes, God created them

81.7%
  2. No, it is a myth

7.0%
  3. The Bible is nothing but stories

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other, explain

12.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tutorman

Tutorman Charismatic Episcopalian

+1,328
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Were Adam and Eve real or is it all a lie and myth.

Let's talk about that.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hide The Pain

+5,618
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Adam and Eve were our first parents. They were as real as you and I. God created Adam from the dust and Eve from a rib of Adam's.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Tutorman

+1,328
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I agree. There is a poster here that believes it is all a myth

4. Apologetic_Warrior

Apologetic_Warrior Pilgrim

+3,182
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I think it becomes a problem when reading the New Testament for those claiming Adam and Eve were mythological or suggest anything contrary to real people. From genealogies in the Gospels to the words of Christ and Paul concerning them, it becomes a BIG problem, a stumbling block even.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  5. Tutorman

+1,328
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I see someone voted Adam and Eve are a lie.

6. Chrétien de Troyes

Chrétien de Troyes Member

+44
    Canada
    Catholic
    Private
    Adam means "earth" and Eve means "sense-perception". The text is definitely an allegory. These are not anthropogenic but symbolic names. The earth has always been the symbol of sin.

St Paul said that it is through a man (Adam) that sin entered the world.
    Which means: it is through the earth (Adam) that sin entered the world.

Sin is in the earthly world and bliss in the heavenly world.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. Tutorman

+1,328
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Ah, so God created sin. Got it.

8. Chrétien de Troyes

+44
    Canada
    Catholic
    Private
    God created the human being with the ability to sin. Interpret things as you want. :amen:

9. Tutorman

+1,328
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    You said sin came through the earth, God created the earth. You are saying God created sin. Honestly I am not surprised because your ideas are far from real Christianity that it is very sad,

10. Chrétien de Troyes

+44
    Canada
    Catholic
    Private
    The words "earth" that you refer to are in two completely different stories, so they do not have a link together.

11. Tutorman

+1,328
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Sure you would say that, sad. I bet 90 percent of the Bible is a myth to you

12. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+5,604
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    If we make a distinction between "myth" and "legend", in that a myth has no foundation in fact, but is merely a fanciful story, while a legend is an embellishment of what is essentially fact, Adam and Eve are a legend rather than a myth.

13. Tutorman

+1,328
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    In this case by myth I mean absolute lie for the purpose of this thread

14. Bumble Bee

Bumble Bee Disciplemaker Staff Member Supervisor Supporter Staff on LOA

+3,937
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    The human race had to start somewhere. There had to have been a first man and a first woman, no matter what you believe about our origins. It makes sense, then, that Adam and Eve were real people.

15. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Handmaid of God † CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+16,333
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I have heard some who believe in evolution but still hold to the idea that God chose a man and woman (however Eve came to be) and purposely ensouled them, thus creating the first human parents. It still creates difficulties for them regarding the creation which God called "good", how the sin of Adam and Eve affected the cosmos, and so on ... but it serves as a way to straddle the ideas of evolution and creation.

(Note that I'm not endorsing or arguing for this - just commenting that some find a way to make peace within themselves this way.)

16. ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat For who can resist his will?

+2,612
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I wouldn't go as far as to say they never existed, and I also wouldn't say that just because theres no evidence of their existence or scientific reasons to believe it would be impossible for them to have existed to be a reason to completely rule out their existence. But I file this under something I'm not sure of but look at it as something thats possible but im completely agnostic when it comes to this topic. I can't say either way because the bible says they existed but theres scientific reasons for doubting it, that said theres probably some ways you could fit them in while being consistent with science so thats why i say i'm not sure.

17. ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat For who can resist his will?

+2,612
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Someone who knows evolution could answer this for me, because I don't know much about evolution. But if evolution has proven that it is impossible for humans to have begun from one ancestor then i guess there you have it.

18. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+2,806
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    That's not how the word "myth" is generally used when describing religious literature. Usually "myth" means something like "parable", a figurative way of telling a deeper truth.

I voted for "myth", but if you intend "myth" to mean "absolute lie", I'll change my vote to "other".

19. Tutorman

+1,328
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican

I do intend myth to mean lie as to this thread

20. Tutorman

+1,328
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    There has been proof that we go back to one mother they call her mitochondrial eve