Sep 18, 2010
✟883,234.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To me the story of Adam and Eve may be a literal story, but I'm more inclined to believe it in a figurative sense. I.o.w. the message is 100% true, the fall of man, tricked by the devil, where the story of Adam and Eve symbolizes the fall of mankind. The importance is not exactly how it all happened, but that it happened, and therefore God sent Jesus to win us back from the dominion of the devil. Christus victor!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Could mean stardust for all we know...

God Bless!
Or matter or material, possibly even energy, or some kinds of energy who knows, or this physical "stuff" we know now...

Their bodies, (Adam and Eve) could have been, (and I've always wondered) if they were in a "glorified physical body", that is different from this one, like Jesus resurrected body, since they were supposed to have been perfect, and that makes you wonder about the reality they may have lived in before being cast out also...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember a Pastor that one of my family members was close with. This Pastor believed the story of Jonah was all an allegory or metaphor. This blew my mind at the time (When I was new in my faith). For there is no indication in the text that suggests the story of Jonah or the story of Adam and Eve are allegories.

What is going on here is that folks simply do not like what the Bible says so they say.... "Oh, it's a metaphor, fable, or allegory."

Folks are attacking the God of the Bible when they say things in the Bible are a myth (When nothing is mentioned that it is a myth in any way). It's wrong and it is calling God a liar because what they believe God had written is a lie (myth).
Do you feel that Paul did not like what the bible says and was attacking God when he says :
"But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar." When referring to a story in the OT?

Last edited:
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Do you feel that Paul did not like what the bible says and was attaching God when he says :
"But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar." When referring to a story in the OT?
Allegory, and allegories are very important...

God Bless!

• Agree
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Were Adam and Eve real or is it all a lie and myth.

Let's talk about that.

Explaining -- if you focus on whether every detail was real or symbolic or metaphor -- debating which, such as about whether the rotating flaming sword was literally real.

Then you will miss the several (at least 4) deep meanings of the actual story.

Debating mere concrete details means a person is losing out on scripture, which is to transform you, so that you are no longer the same person after you read it.

It's extremely trivial whether you or I think Adam was directly made by God (though if it helps you, I do think so), and if you focus on it more than a minute, it's misleading for you. This story is not about your or my mere viewpoints of relatively beside the point details. (If someone thinks they have to prove or disprove that the Flood covered Mt. Everest, then I know they missed the meanings, and are in a situation of being lost and confused.)

What should you notice about chapters 2 and 3 then?

It should hit you, some day, that Eve is from Adam's rib, not thigh bone, not 'dust', not mud, not arm, not breath. No. Very specifically his rib. That's the kind of thing that matters, if you get it, that she is deeper than skin deep in him, even to bone, and that like a rib she protects his very heart, breath, center. That's marriage. Don't get hung up on whether the sword was magnetically suspended in air, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok.

We don't know precisely how God created Adam.

But we do know God created Adam one way or another, in one sense or manner, or another one, and that Adam, just like you and I, is from dust, and to dust all these bodies will return.

It happens that lately I think Adam was made directly from the dirt right there suddenly (but see, this is mere opinion, merely a guess), on the theory that God wanted a truly tablu rosa human, which I'm guessing based on the theory humans already existed outside of the Garden (Cain's future wife's parents too likely). But see, my theories, guesses, are of no importance, and I'd joyfully drop them in an instant if God chose to give me something better. What use are our theories? It's like debating creationist theories. It's of no use to debate. Simply, He is the creator, and everything that exists is ultimately because of Him, regardless of mere concrete details He choose not to reveal to us (because they are not what we need to learn).

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Adam means "earth" and Eve means "sense-perception". The text is definitely an allegory. These are not anthropogenic but symbolic names. The earth has always been the symbol of sin.

St Paul said that it is through a man (Adam) that sin entered the world.
Which means: it is through the earth (Adam) that sin entered the world.

Sin is in the earthly world and bliss in the heavenly world.
So, what, if anything, in the Bible, is real..

So far:

1/ Adam and Eve... allegory.
2/ Literal 6 days... allegory.
3/ World wide flood... allegory.
4/ Nephilime offspring of Humans/Angel Hybrid.... incorrect... was Seth's kids.
5/ No rapture
6/ Tribulation is happening today.

What is left for us to determine as real.... Let's hope that the Gospel and the life of Christ is real....

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

So far:

5/ No rapture

What is left for us to determine as real.... Let's hope that the Gospel and the life of Christ is real....
Depending on what you define as "real", at the most, just up to the end of Genesis, not Exodus or after... Possibly after the flood some might say...? Some say all the way back to being kicked out of the garden... But I wonder if these are sometimes not about other realities progressively, or regressively... Down to ours...

And the way it might need to be interpreted may be similar to the way that is needed to correctly interpret dreams and visions, or things that need be taken symbolically or as allegory like prophetic books do... And allegory, when accurate, is not a lie, or not, not real, or true, or whatever, but may be about another reality from where maybe our reality stems (from) maybe...?

And Jesus is not an allegory, but there were many things allegorical about him and in what he had to say and preach and teach...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The story does not have to be literally true in order to present truth. It is true that God brought the first humans into existence. It is true that they sinned against God. Were they literally a single couple, our do Adam and Eve simply represent the first human population? We don't know, and it doesn't matter.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

So far:

5/ No rapture

Don't agree on 5 and not sure about 6...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0