are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"Nazarenes" for Christians in Greek
In Acts, Paul of Tarsus is called, "a ringleader of the sect of the Nazoreans,"[8] thus identifying Nazorean with Christian. Although both "Christianios" (by Gentiles) and "Nazarenes" (by Jews) appear to have been current in the 1st century, and both are recorded in the New Testament, the Gentile name "Christian" appears to have won out against "Nazarene" in usage among Christians themselves after the 1st century

Nazarene (title) - Wikipedia
What is your purpose of this line of posts?

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Zechariah 3:
8 “‘Listen, High Priest Yahshua, you and your associates seated before you, who are men
symbolic of things to come: I am going to bring my servant, the Branch (Hebrew
Notsri; English Nazarene i.e. Yahshua the Nazarene)
The verse has nothing to do with a sect of Judaism. The verse has nothing to do with Jesus being from Nazareth.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Paul said his group was called "The Way"

Acts 24
14But this I confess to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect, so I worship the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the Law and in the Prophets
Not an admission of belonging.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Notsri, or "Nazarenes" was what the believing Jews in Jerusalem were first called. They continued to practice Judaism, attend synagogues, and even offer sacrifices. They were considered a Jewish sect until after the Bar Kochba war when they got kicked out of the synagogues. See Acts 21:20

Acts 24
14But this I confess to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect, so I worship the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the Law and in the Prophets

Christianity isn't a sect of Judaism.

I find your logic "illusive"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Notsri, or "Nazarenes" was what the believing Jews in Jerusalem were first called. They continued to practice Judaism, attend synagogues, and even offer sacrifices. They were considered a Jewish sect until after the Bar Kochba war when they got kicked out of the synagogues. See Acts 21:20

Acts 24

Not an admission of belonging.

I find your logic "illusive"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Christianity was a sect of Judaism - all of its leaders Jews - its Bible the OT, its teaching about the OT Messiah and as we see in Acts 13 Paul was asked to speak in the Synagogue -- not like he was of some foreign religion. There was nothing anti-OT about "The Messiah has come".

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What is encouraging is that the span from Acts 21-28 gives a great view of how Paul declared his own practice "under oath" and before both Jews and gentiles starting with clarification of his teaching for his fellow Messianic Jews.

Acts 21

24 take them and purify yourself along with them, and pay their expenses so that they may shave their heads; and all will know that there is nothing to the things which they have been told about you, but that you yourself also walk orderly, keeping the Law

Acts 24

Acts 25
8 while he answered for himself;Neither against the law of the Jews, nor against the temple, nor against Caesar have I offended in anything at all.;

Acts 26
Therefore, having obtained help from God, to this day I stand, witnessing both to small and great, saying no other things than those which the prophets and Moses said would come; 23 that the Christ would suffer, that He would be the first to rise from the dead, and would proclaim light to the Jewish people and to the Gentiles;

Acts 28
17 And it came to pass after three days that Paul called the leaders of the Jews together. So when they had come together, he said to them: Men and brethren, though I have done nothing against our people or the customs of our fathers, yet I was delivered as a prisoner from Jerusalem into the hands of the Romans,... I have called for you, to see you and speak with you, because for the hope of Israel I am bound with this chain.

23 So when they had appointed him a day, many came to him at his lodging, to whom he explained and solemnly testified of the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus from both the Law of Moses and the Prophets, from morning till evening

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
(CLV) Mt 2:23
And coming, he dwells in a city termed Nazareth, so that that may be fulfilled which is declared through the prophets that: A Nazarene shall He be called.
People were always identified as a secondary by the city/town.

Like so Mary of Magdalah.

Jesus of Narareth.

Just to clarify, a town geographically in a country does not equal a religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Zechariah 3:
8 “‘Listen, High Priest Yahshua, you and your associates seated before you, who are men
symbolic of things to come: I am going to bring my servant, the Branch (Hebrew
Notsri; English Nazarene i.e. Yahshua the Nazarene)
“Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH.”
‭‭Zechariah‬ ‭3:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬
Zechariah 3:8; Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH. #wondered…: Heb. of wonder, or, sign

Seems like you have a mix up. Notice that it says in Hebrew of wonder or sign.

Seems like your Hebrew is way off.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Christianity was a sect of Judaism - all of its leaders Jews - its Bible the OT, its teaching about the OT Messiah and as we see in Acts 13 Paul was asked to speak in the Synagogue -- not like he was of some foreign religion. There was nothing anti-OT about "The Messiah has come".

Our Messiah is the Jewish Messiah and as our Lord promised, He came for His chosen people.

The Jewish people who actually believed He is Messiah started a new religion. Of course the prophets and patriarchs are part of our history.

I love that all the apostles are Jews. It shows that our Lord kept His Old Testament promise.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
“Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH.”
‭‭Zechariah‬ ‭3:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬
Zechariah 3:8; Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH. #wondered…: Heb. of wonder, or, sign

Seems like you have a mix up. Notice that it says in Hebrew of wonder or sign.

Seems like your Hebrew is way off.
Lexicon :: Strong's H6780 - tsemach
font_conBar_a.png

צֶמַח
Transliteration
tsemach
Pronunciation
tseh'·makh (Key)
speaker.3.svg

Part of Speech
masculine noun
Root Word (Etymology)
From צָמַח (H6779)
Dictionary Aids
TWOT Reference: 1928a

KJV Translation Count — Total: 12x
The KJV translates Strong's H6780 in the following manner: Branch (4x), bud (3x), branch (1x), that which grew (1x), spring (1x), springing (1x), grew (1x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. sprout, growth, branch
    1. sprouting, growth, sprout

2. growth (of process)

3. sprout, shoot (of Messiah from Davidic tree)
Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
צֶמַח tsemach, tseh'-makh; from H6779; a sprout (usually concrete), literal or figurative:—branch, bud, that which (where) grew (upon), spring(-ing).
Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon [?]
lexImage.cfm

Read the Full Entry

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
People were always identified as a secondary by the city/town.

Like so Mary of Magdalah.

Jesus of Narareth.

Just to clarify, a town geographically in a country does not equal a religion.

Are you building your understanding on a false dichotomy? Why can't it be both? I love the depth of the layers in which Yahweh reveals his plan.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The verse has nothing to do with a sect of Judaism. The verse has nothing to do with Jesus being from Nazareth.
When did I say that it did? It's simply relevant to underlying subject.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Then you tell me; what does "symbolic of things to come" speak of?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Are you building your understanding on a false dichotomy? Why can't it be both? I love the depth of the layers in which Yahweh reveals his plan.
Because one is a religious sect and the other is a geographic location.

And God didn’t send the Messiah, God Himself to be part of some other religious sect.

Have you read a Bible?

I know you are desperate to try to tie things to your own belief system, but your really sounding most desperate to make any connection at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Lexicon :: Strong's H6780 - tsemach
font_conBar_a.png

צֶמַח
Transliteration
tsemach
Pronunciation
tseh'·makh (Key)
speaker.3.svg

Part of Speech
masculine noun
Root Word (Etymology)
From צָמַח (H6779)
Dictionary Aids
TWOT Reference: 1928a

KJV Translation Count — Total: 12x
The KJV translates Strong's H6780 in the following manner: Branch (4x), bud (3x), branch (1x), that which grew (1x), spring (1x), springing (1x), grew (1x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. sprout, growth, branch
    1. sprouting, growth, sprout

2. growth (of process)

3. sprout, shoot (of Messiah from Davidic tree)
Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
צֶמַח tsemach, tseh'-makh; from H6779; a sprout (usually concrete), literal or figurative:—branch, bud, that which (where) grew (upon), spring(-ing).
Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon [?]
lexImage.cfm

Read the Full Entry
So which definition does it fall under? 1, 2 or 3

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Your verse is what Jews are claiming. Your verse doesn't make Christianity a sect of Judaism.

Yes it does; but I don't even need this verse to disprove your bald assertion.

Yahshua, Shau'l, and all of Yahshua's apostles were all practicing "Jews."

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Your verse is what Jews are claiming. Your verse doesn't make Christianity a sect of Judaism.

Yes it does; but I don't even need this verse to disprove your bald assertion.

Yahshua, Shau'l, and all of Yahshua's apostles were all practicing "Jews."

Upvote 0