Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I caved: my cable bill has passed the amount I'm willing to spend for it. I'm getting streaming finally. Disney+ for sure (along w/ ESPN+) plus one - two more I haven't decided (Paramount+ probably, but Discovery+ also possibility)

Upvote 0

Juan777

Jun 20, 2022
Toronto
✟20,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Yeah, I used to borrow Blu-rays from the library before the covid thing. Since the pandemic I went totally into streamers. Its much more convenient to access info (ie my Tablet and Smartphone devices and VR headset can easily connect to streaming, while only the TV/projector can connect to Blu-rays/DVDs (and streaming too), which creates a problem when I'm unable to access my own home theater (due to my own personal restrictions/limitations setting that up (like I have to shower before I can watch TV, etc...) - where the VR is intended to cheat the home theater system when I can't access it, etc...).

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Nothing wrong with streaming itself, but rather the content you are streaming can be an issue. For over half my life I watched TV to be entertained, updated on culture and happening (news, weather), learning how things work and DIY stuff, and so on. The problem with TV is there is way way too much information that is NOT on it..... ever but the internet is full of such stuff.... big time.

I spend a lot of time learning stuff, researching things to buy, how to fix this and that, and so on. I even watch people play games so I don't have to pay for gaming hardware and software and spend tons of time playing the game I can see the games from start to finish even when my body is tired and sore from working.

There are a huge amount of streaming content creators including endless reviews and recommendations of almost every product imaginable with some even showing videos of them looking at stuff in stores and prices too... live.

One can spend nothing to stream but an internet provider or sign up to stream from over a hundred different places. I've streamed my church services when I couldn't afford to fill up my tank or covid locked them down and they did them outdoors. To differentiate between streaming and simply looking at a web site is to essentially say they are different when in reality you stream webpages into a browser and as you scroll down pages you stream more into your browser and text messages are like streaming as data streams to your phone and back. I think most people consider streaming as a video service but we have audio streaming too out there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strider1002

For when I am weak, then I am strong.
May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟62,542.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I care mainly about two things: quality, and having control to decide when I want to watch what I want to watch. Both lend themselves to having physical copies of my favorite things.
Also, someone involved with the film and tv industry has told me that physical media is going to be phased out over the coming years, so I am making sure to have my favorite movies and shows on disc, in the best quality possible.
I do use some streaming, but I'm not relying on it.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I care mainly about two things: quality, and having control to decide when I want to watch what I want to watch. Both lend themselves to having physical copies of my favorite things.
Also, someone involved with the film and tv industry has told me that physical media is going to be phased out over the coming years, so I am making sure to have my favorite movies and shows on disc, in the best quality possible.
I do use some streaming, but I'm not relying on it.
I'm not sure physical media will ever be totally phased out as 4K bluray sometimes is better resolution than the average 4K streaming plus doesn't take nearly as much data to accomplish I think there will always be a market for it but the format could change from a disc format to a chip format. As we have seen in music vinyl has become somewhat popular and even cassette tapes have interest too. I think unless the format changes however there will be continual declining interest in them as newer generations are inundated with the convenience of instant streaming vs digging through boxes and having to deal with mechanical disc players and discs.
I do see a trend of physical media sales moving almost totally online now as stores allocate less and less space to it.

As for quality, DVD is 480P and Bluray is 1080P and 4K Bluray is 2160P. I think the first thing to consider to compare these formats to streaming quality is your TV size and quality. A smaller TV like 24-32 inch the difference between these resolutions unless up close is more minimal than a 43-55 inch and can be at times very noticeable at TV sizes of 65 inches and more. I've watched media on disc and tv at resolutions 1080p or less. I will say also quality of the stream can make a huge difference vs physical media as I've seen 480p streaming look terrible compared to a quality anamorphic DVD print. I tend to stream at 720p on my 55 inch tv as I'm usually 6 foot back and it saves data and native 720 and above streams look very good at times better than lower quality dvds and decent anamorphic DVD prints look close enough to a quality 720p stream that needing to jump to a bluray format is unneeded on small to medium size screens. The bump from 720p to 1080p is less noticeable I think on all but larger screens (I would believe as I have no access to a larger screen) and the bump from bluray/1080p to 4K resolution on average quality TVs is less dramatic I think but more dramatic on higher quality and larger screens.
I will say my eyes are not a good as they used to be so take all of that into consideration.

With most 4K blu-ray offerings also including normal 1080p bluray discs I can see DVDs going away in the future but that would depend on how popular a movie/series is and how old as older stuff sometimes requires more effort and cost to scale to 4K, even 1080p blu-ray can require work on stuff that was on DVD as the media that the DVD was converted from may have degraded and/or require work to look good.

I've seen more and more old movies now being released on 4K bluray and there is several limited release blu-ray and 4K on physical media.

As streaming improves I believe digital conversions of a lot of older content will be done and once a 4K conversion is done well so it can be streamed, there is nothing but expense required to put that on physical media. In other words if you want a certain movie on physical media you can just go online and order it and they will make it on demand. The main issue with the "on demand" model is the cost per title likely won't approach discounted media in stores and as I've seen the used/second hand market is seeing less and less newer titles as there is less of them being sold locally to go around. I've had to go to ebay and amazon and a few other online outlets to find an acceptable price on some titles as I'm a cheapskate.

Until 4k Bluray players drop in price and my collection grows in that format I think standard Bluray 1080p format is just fine for an average screen. I have upgrade most of my higher rated movies to standard bluray discs but I will never bother to get all of my dvd movies in bluray too as the experience vs quality vs cost is not worth it.

I think unless you download movies to smart devices and convert music to digital from CDs having battery powered players in an outage or away from the grid may have people wanting to also keep DVDs around but for the most part DVDs pretty much are going to way of VHS tapes for the most part. I do think however that with standard blu-ray players being made and perhaps in the future 4K players becoming mainstream replacing everything else and costing around $50 or so new they can play all standard disc formats. I don't see 8K and up physical media (disc) players in the future and I think that higher resolution formats beyond 4K will likely require a next generation physical media format.... possibly cartridge based like a larger SD card or cartridge.

The big problem I see with physical media is simply..... greed. From early days of music for example there were 45rpm vinyl singles and 33rpm albums and often people owned songs on both formats and sometimes the song had a different album version vs the broadcast version single. These formats were not easily portable as battery tech and the needle/vinyl playing setup pretty much required line power and a static environment. Along came tapes.... the competition was 8 Track and Cassette with some albums on reel to reel for high end enthusiasts. cassette won out over 8 track I think mainly because of size/convenience and maybe cost to manufacture and was the go-to portable music format till optical CDs came about in the late 80s early 90s or thereabout.
Cds are the last common physical media for music and if we were looking back someone could have paid for the same song several times to "upgrade" the quality and usability etc. The pros and cons of physical media is that you have to rebuy the same stuff each time profiting the music industry but the used music media market doesn't profit them a well taken care of music CD can be resold over and over perhaps for 100 years if players still exist then and since CDs can be played on native players, computer DVD and CD drives, DVD and Blu-Ray and 4K Blu-Ray player compared to VHS tapes and cassettes and vinyl physical media likely will be supported for decades to come. The fact people are now selling new vinyl and I've heard interest in CDs is growing around similar enthusiasts means it will at least exist in a limited market. I can't see them selling vinyl in chain stores and not selling CDs also...... As for the DVD/BR/4K market it may outright vanish in local chain stores and specialty movie stores pop up selling it maybe even renting it again like blockbuster but the huge issue is the industry and profit as one reason I've heard in the movie industry is that the model used for physical media sales doesn't encourage stores to carry and sell them as the profit and window of opportunity often has only the latest most popular stuff being carried. The stores I've heard lose money when they have to mark down stale media products.

I buy nearly all my media second hand, I would have about 1/10 as much as I have now or less if I bought everything new.

Upvote 0

Strider1002

For when I am weak, then I am strong.
May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟62,542.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm constantly watching to see what 4K discs are being released. Plenty of people can't see the difference, but I spent 6 years in film school and I suppose I'm a bit of a... what would be the word... cinephile?
There are so many movies that need to be released in 4K, and so many dumb ones that keep being released in their place.

• Agree
Reactions: Sophrosyne
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I'm constantly watching to see what 4K discs are being released. Plenty of people can't see the difference, but I spent 6 years in film school and I suppose I'm a bit of a... what would be the word... cinephile?
There are so many movies that need to be released in 4K, and so many dumb ones that keep being released in their place.
Videophile? There also have been some mediocre to lousy Blu-Ray releases and less than stellar 4K ones too. I try to read reviews before buying movies online. The sad thing is the regular 4K releases include a 2K release too but the limited releases sometimes don't include the 2K version at all. Also releases can vary on included material (special features for one) and audio soundtracks and sometimes the cut itself of the movie can be different than the best 2K and DVD releases. Have you ever seen the youtube channel Movies At Home, I think that is the name of it as he goes over new releases including 4K versions.

When I buy second hand movies, I sometimes end up with the 4K version as they typically sell them for the same price as standard 2K versions but some 4K movies cost over twice as much as the 2K Bluray version.

Reactions: Strider1002
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Generally if it's something I like, I'll get the 4K regardless. And if the 2K is better, that is often included... or else I often already have it :D... so it's fine.
One movie I have the 2K and it cost me $15 and they released the 4K for $65.... too high of a price IMO.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Yeah, I would be unlikely to pay $65 for one movie. Maybe for a set.
I think one has to consider several things when it comes to spending.

1)How large of a collection will you have over time and how long will you persist in collecting.
2)How much can you afford to spend, and how will that add up over time if you continue for 5 years, 10, etc.
3)How much space you have to display and/or store them

If you get addicted to collecting disc media it can balloon into an expensive and expansive issue. Saving money on every movie can add up huge the larger your collection gets. If you have only a dozen movies saving $1-$3 on a title will at most save you $20-$30 or so but when you hit 100 that becomes $200+ and when you hit 1000 it can reach several thousand dollars. Since I buy second hand and/or spend time buying on online and the average prices of movies range from about $20 and up for bluray new issues, about $10 on popular titles and less on bargains. I can save sometimes $5-$10 or more on titles and because of this I've saved a fortune on the value of my collection vs the cost. Now I am very experienced at buying and selling movies second hand and have a better than junk resurfacing machine (not anywhere as good as professional) that I have used to fix marginal discs. It comes in handy when you have something that costs $20 or more and can buy it for $5 and it has one scratched disc that doesn't play right. I have many movies and sets that are rare now and the cost of owning them have shot up to several times what they were new and hard to find at that. I do occasionally get something that I can't fix and have taken a loss on even Blurays that didn't work right including a bluray of Armeggeddon with Bruce Willis which BTW is the only way to get an anamorphic (widescreen) native version as there was never a 16x9 anamorphic DVD released of it. I paid $5 for the copy and upon inspection there was no scratches or scuffs on the disc at all it just stopped playing half way through. At one time this was going for $15 used I believe they have reprinted the bluray a few years ago. I've tossed over a dozen dvd movies that wouldn't play properly too and I've made an effort to replace fair to poor condition movies with very good to excellent condition (or newish).
I can give advice to those wanting to learn how to buy second hand but I don't necesarily want to jam the thread up with posts longer than this one if people have little interest as most folks don't like buying second hand anything and I've saved a fortune at flea markets, thrift stores, garage sales, ebay and amazon etc.

Upvote 0