• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Abortion

Discussion in 'Archived - Ethics & Morality' started by ocean, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Hector Medina

Hector Medina Questioning Roman Catholic

+6
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    KeepTheFaith15,

You are very right about what you said.

Another thing is that:

In 1973 the U.S. supreme court ruled that a unborn fetus is not a person.
    Therefore abortion would not be commiting murder and is a way to respect the choice of a womens rights.

And they call themselvess "pro-choice"..............

In 1934 the Nazi German High Council ruled that a Jew is NOT a person therefore it is not murder when extermintaing a inferior animal closest to the ape so we could deal with the Jewish problem.

Did this stand up at Nurnburg in '46 ->NO.

This is another way to look at it.

Hector

2. KeepTheFaith15

KeepTheFaith15 Thats Me whats can i say?

+4
    i tell it like it is seesaw if you dont like it then im sorry, i offend people when i KNOW im right and their wrong. you must be one of those people seesaw that thinks science created everything and not god right? haha WRONG

3. kaotic

kaotic Learn physics

+3
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    No you only think you know what's right.

I guess you don't know science. No one thinks science created everything. But you are right I don't believe in god and I believe he didn't create everything. But that is for another time.

So no I am not one of the people that think that science created everything cause we know it didn't.

4. kaotic

kaotic Learn physics

+3
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    no one should insult or be rude to anyone over a post that is crazy.

5. KeepTheFaith15

KeepTheFaith15 Thats Me whats can i say?

+4
    abortion is wrong and im right on this one i dont just think im right but i do know one thing and that is i "think" your dumb. science sucks.

6. kaotic

kaotic Learn physics

+3
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    That's fine if you think I am dumb. I will just put you on my ignore list for now.

7. HannoverFist

HannoverFist The prosecution calls Hanover Fiste!

+0
    Wowee.

May I quote you?

8. kitten

kitten Member

+1
    Okay, back on topic. In the case where a fetus/baby dies in utero & the mother does not naturally miscarry within a safe time frame, a doctor must perform an abortion to remove it - is that wrong?

9. Lanakila

Lanakila Not responsible for the changes here.

+208
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    Its not an abortion if the baby is already dead kitten. It's a D & C procedure to rid the womans body of the dead baby. The slippery slope is babies aren't aware of their own existence long after birth, so we should be able to kill them, if they are unwanted even at 6 months, right? No way, and you or I would most likely agree that it is murder to kill an infant. Children don't really understand that they are a person till after a year old or so. Identity identification cannot be the standard of life. Life is just this life. A human baby inside the womb, although dependent upon the mother is alive. After the same human baby is born it is still dependent upon either the mother or someone else to take care of it. Human babies will not survive unless someone takes care of them. Independence cannot be the standard either. Viability is a problem because medical science has advanced so much that very, very young fetuses can survive outside the womb (with much medical intervention).

10. HannoverFist

HannoverFist The prosecution calls Hanover Fiste!

+0
    Actually I halfway disagree.  Newborns may not be aware of their existence (or then again they may be, I am far from educated enough to say), but they still possess higher brain functions.  I don't think it's moral to "abort" babies which have already been born.

Sentience might be a good way of defining an intelligent life form, but I would be willing to allow for it in the case of a newborn.

Viability is indeed another issue, and I think it has merit, although you are correct in that we can "grow" test tube babies... what makes them not viable if we can grow them from day one?  Perhaps viable on their own, outside the womb.  But even then they cannot sustain themselves of course, we must manualy feed them and such (unlike some lesser animal species).

11. She Believes

She Believes New Member

+0
    Christian

12. kaotic

kaotic Learn physics

+3
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    Heh did you get that from here.

http://www.flash.net/~thinkman/articles/abortion.htm

13. She Believes

She Believes New Member

+0
    Christian
    UGH!! Yes I did. And I just deleted it. It wasnt suppose to look like that. And I cant put any links in yet.

14. Stormy

Stormy Senior Contributor

+837
    Christian
    US-Others
    I see that you are still here as an observer.:D

LOL You got to be kidding.

15. kaotic

kaotic Learn physics

+3
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    yeah I think you need to turn off html. I think you goto control panel, then Options, then Use vBCode quick links on your message input screens? choose no.

16. Stormy

Stormy Senior Contributor

+837
    Christian
    US-Others
    Of course I have never aborted a child. But I did have one miscarriage.

To this day I wonder who he would have been if he had lived. But I will never know. Because no matter how many children I have ... he will never be born. I wasn't given the chance to know him.

Fetus are not just clusters of cells they are the beginning of a distinct individual. No two people are alike.

Instead of saying that you had an abortion. You should be asking... who did I stop from having his life?

17. fin

fin Regular Member

+1
    This question can not be answered with science. It is a moral question to which there are no satisfactory answers.

18. OldBadfish

OldBadfish Well-Known Member

+20
    Good point, but it can be satisfactorily answered by Gods word and human standards of morality. A good scientist will admit that science does not have all the answers, including our origins and the origin of the universe, and scientific moralization.

Anyway, my opinion is that abortion is wrong, however I believe there are extenuating circumstances that could morally and religiously warrant an abortion.

Like the case of the 9 year old, impregnated rape victim argument we had many times in the past.

19. LilAngelHeart

LilAngelHeart ~Nope,nothing wrong here~

+64
    Pentecostal
    That is a sick way to look at a little baby!! :( Once a life is concieved, it *is a baby no matter how smalll or how early.

*~·´¯`·¸.~¤LïlÃñge£Heårt¤~*

20. LilAngelHeart

LilAngelHeart ~Nope,nothing wrong here~

+64
    Pentecostal
    Exactly!!!

*~·´¯`·¸.~¤LïlÃñge£Heårt¤~*