Abortion

inHisgrip

May 8, 2004
Washington
✟622.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Cerridwen said:
Ah, okay. I just just know that 3 week old embryos(5 weeks of pregnancy) don't have discernable genders & thought that looked kinda weird, lol. Now I understand. I agree that it is the parent's responsibility to teach her child right from wrong, but when a young girl is raped, it has nothing to do with her parents or how well they parented her. She shouldn't be forced to give up her life for what someone else did to her, and neither should she be forced to carry a resulting pregnancy to term. I certainly don't advocate abortion as a form of birth control, but I believe there are circumstances in which it may be necessary. I have children of my own, & I doubt that I could go through with an abortion, but that doesn't mean that it should be illegal for women who need that option. I am pro-choice, not pro-abortion.

Love & Blessings, Cerridwen*

I would agree with that, I do not believe abortion should be illegal, but I have seen so many women who abuse it and use it as birth control. Every woman needs the choice to be her own, however I would not recommend it for anyone. There are so many resources to help women in these situations.
Best wishes :D
In Him

Upvote 0

Seeking...

A strange kettle of fish ...
May 20, 2004
Southern California
✟9,064.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Others
I figured I'd weigh in with my own convoluted views on abortion.

First, I am personally pro-life. I think life begins at conception. I think abortion is the taking of life. I think the taking of life that is not in the protection of other life is wrong.

That being said - I do not now, nor will I ever support making abortion illegal. I consider it to be a neccesary evil. I don't believe elective abortion will end until society has effectively dealt with the issues that cause it. I also don't see it as being a strictly moral issue- "good girls don't" just doesn't fly here.

I have never been pregnant myself, but I have had close friends, some have elected to keep the child and others to end the pregnancy and I supported all the decisions given the situations of the particular women.

I'm sure some will wonder how I justify my position, but I don't. I think both mainstream pro-choice & pro-life arguments have serious weaknesses (Pro-choice "How do you decide when life begins?", Pro-life "How can you believe all life is equal?") that have never been addressed to my satisfaction. As a result- I made up my mind on abortion totally based on pragmatism. :)

Upvote 0

Michali

Teleologist
Aug 1, 2003
Florida
✟10,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Justaman, I believe I'm just going to give up. You just don't consider my reasons good enough. And, quite frankly, any reason at all is enough for me.

I'm just going to leave you with a few of them:

1.) The foetus is an organism, and it responds to avoid pain. Since it is something that is even remotely related to humanity, I will not support abortion.

2.) Pregnancy is an isoltable process that gives rise to consciousness (brings a "person" into action). To voluntarily end any such process, is to end the life of that individual. This is applicable to any definition of human death.

3.) Abortion, in my theoretical opinion, will obscure the evolution of our species. But then again, so will Health care.

4.) It is simply against my sympathies to kill an unborn child. And my sympathies are my guiding morals.

Upvote 0

transientlife

lotus on the mount
Mar 21, 2004
✟1,724.00
Faith
Christian
Seeking... said:
I figured I'd weigh in with my own convoluted views on abortion.

First, I am personally pro-life. I think life begins at conception. I think abortion is the taking of life. I think the taking of life that is not in the protection of other life is wrong.

That being said - I do not now, nor will I ever support making abortion illegal. I consider it to be a neccesary evil. I don't believe elective abortion will end until society has effectively dealt with the issues that cause it. I also don't see it as being a strictly moral issue- "good girls don't" just doesn't fly here.
I have never been pregnant myself, but I have had close friends, some have elected to keep the child and others to end the pregnancy and I supported all the decisions given the situations of the particular women.

I'm sure some will wonder how I justify my position, but I don't. I think both mainstream pro-choice & pro-life arguments have serious weaknesses (Pro-choice "How do you decide when life begins?", Pro-life "How can you believe all life is equal?") that have never been addressed to my satisfaction. As a result- I made up my mind on abortion totally based on pragmatism. :)

Great points, Seeking..., agreed! :clap:

Upvote 0
A

Alessandra

I personally would not have an abortion with only a few exceptions (if I were raped, would die as a result or my child would be born with many disabilites).

But I think abortion should remain legal for any reason. Think of it this way - would pro-lifers like to be forced to have an abortion? I don't think so. Well, that is no different then forcing a woman to keep her child and carry it to birth. Abortion should always remaind a choice.

You don't have to have one. But don't take the choice away from others.

Upvote 0