Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Therefore, for your argument to have any validity it's up to you to prove the existence of god (which was an unstated premise/assumption in your argument). Seeing as you haven't done that, your argument is invalid.
I disagree.

God already proved Himself.
Acts 1:3 said:
To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
Just like my Mariana Trench example, you do not have to go there yourself in order to believe it exists --- all you have to do is have faith in the paperwork.

And I do not have to go back in time to see God in action for myself --- all I have to do is have faith in the Paperwork.

To put it another way, God convinced a generation of people of His existence.

That generation documented this proof, and God has preserved It through the ages.

Do you need to go back in time and actually observe Christopher Columbus before you will believe he sailed to America?

Upvote 0

CoderHead

Knee Dragger
Aug 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟16,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't believe I'm a Homo sapiens. So...?
I'm starting to agree...
Just like my Mariana Trench example, you do not have to go there yourself in order to believe it exists --- all you have to do is have faith in the paperwork.

And I do not have to go back in time to see God in action for myself --- all I have to do is have faith in the Paperwork.
Except that one stack of paperwork is based off of credible, realistic observations and reproducible testing using highly accurate instrumentation. The other stack is based on claims of supernatural powers, disregard for the laws of the physical world, and refusal to produce evidence.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Except that one stack of paperwork is based off of credible, realistic observations and reproducible testing using highly accurate instrumentation.
So Columbus did --- or did not --- sail the ocean blue?

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Whether he did or not is not of any significance for the way I live. Actually, it isn´t any skin off my nose either way.
If you can say the same about you and your god we can agree that these questions are on equal footing, and that I worship the idea that Columbus sailed the ocean in the way you worship your god.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Whether he did or not is not of any significance for the way I live. Actually, it isn´t any skin off my nose either way.
But if you said Columbus didn't sail the ocean blue, you would be wrong --- wouldn't you?

Upvote 0

Suplux

Sep 8, 2009
✟7,641.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

So do you - or do you not - see the HUGE differences between the evidence presented for Columbus, The Mariana Trench, and for god?

They really can't even be compared. The "evidence" for god includes an old, VERY contradictory book written by god knows who (excuse the pun).

The evidence for the Mariana trench include, as I look google images, pictures from space, from under the water, and on a world globe not to mention hundreds of other sources.

Seems a bit more convincing, no?

Also, the existence of the Mariana trench can't really be used to effectively manipulate people and gain control of vast resources including the human mind. God (and religion) on the other hand...

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The "evidence" for god includes an old, VERY contradictory book written by god knows who (excuse the pun).
That 'very contradictory book', as you call It, is actually 66 books in one.

66 books, written over a period of 1500 years, by 40-some [human] authors, in 3 different languages, and on 3 different continents, under a variety of conditions from peacetime to wartime.

We're not dealing with just one book --- we're dealing with a whole library of history.

Let me ask you a tougher question:

Can you 'prove" --- that's prove --- it is 2009?

Upvote 0

CoderHead

Knee Dragger
Aug 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟16,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Can you 'prove" --- that's prove --- it is 2009?
No, not any more than you can prove 12 inches is a foot. Years and feet are conceptual units of measure implemented to describe a certain, standardized length of time (as defined by the Earth's course around the sun) or distance. Are we in a year formally acknowledged by pretty much the entire world as 2009? Yes, you bet. Is this actually the year 2009? Maybe...but we have to establish at what point we're relating the past 2009 years. Since we all call this year 2009, I'd say we've done that. Just because it hasn't been 2,009 years since...I dunno, the beginning of everything in the universe doesn't mean anything.

Apples to oranges.

And to answer your other question: I don't care if Columbus sailed the ocean or not. Since we live in North America, it's inconsequential.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't care if Columbus sailed the ocean or not. Since we live in North America, it's inconsequential.
Do you care that 'Madam Curie' anagrams to 'radium came'?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Suplux

Sep 8, 2009
✟7,641.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You can continue on with those questions but eventually you will have to understand that the burden of proof is on the person or group who asserts the claim.

Until that burden is satisfied, your earlier post is fallacious and therefore we don't necessarily worship anything, let alone nature.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You can continue on with those questions but eventually you will have to understand that the burden of proof is on the person or group who asserts the claim.
Once again, that 'burden of proof' was met (and exceeded) in the first century:
Acts 1:3 said:
To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CoderHead

Knee Dragger
Aug 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟16,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
AV, I'm not just trying to bust your butt when I say this, but using the Bible to validate the Bible is one of the silliest things I've heard. Nobody's disputing that the Bible says the Bible is true. Nobody at all.

The problem is meshing the Bible with real life. What are these infallible proofs? How can we test/observe/repeat them? This stuff was 2,000 years ago.

Reactions: Ayersy
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God says the bible is the word of god. The bible says that god is real.

It's called circular reasoning. I'm sure your next post will contain the "proof" you talked about, right?
Our motto is: God said it --- that settles it.

People must think we're kidding when we say that.

Upvote 0