Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Awww, AV. That's probably one of the sweetest things you've ever said. :blush:
I do know this though.

If this site is any indication of the real world, and if atheists ran the world like they interpret the Bible, we'd all be in trouble.

Upvote 0

CoderHead

Knee Dragger
Aug 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟16,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
But atheists wouldn't run the world like they interpret the Bible. The Bible wouldn't have any bearing at all on how things are run. Atheists believe in morality, good will, and compassion toward fellow humans. They just don't believe in gods.

So if atheists ran the world, there would be no laws based on religion, but common sense instead. Science would be taught in classrooms instead of superstition. Legal unions between two consenting adults wouldn't be dependent on a Biblical opposite-gender statute. Aside from that, you could still have your churches and you could still worship whatever you wanted to with all the freedoms you enjoy now. How would that be a bad thing?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But atheists wouldn't run the world like they interpret the Bible.
Sorry --- let me give the full statement here --- I left an ingredient out:

If atheists ran the world like they interpret the Bible, and used the Bible as their guide to do so, we would all be in trouble.

Put another way:

If atheists ran the world with the Bible, and ran it like they think we Christians should, we would all be in trouble.

I came to that conclusion after seeing a couple of threads on why we Christians, if we truly believe the Bible, aren't out executing witches.

Upvote 0

CoderHead

Knee Dragger
Aug 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟16,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If atheists ran the world like they interpret the Bible, and used the Bible as their guide to do so, we would all be in trouble.
Severely flawed. The world isn't run by the Bible right now. Why would it be if atheists were in charge?
If atheists ran the world with the Bible, and ran it like they think we Christians should, we would all be in trouble.
Again, why would atheists run the world based on the Bible? The first thing atheists would want to do is get the Bible out of government altogether. For the very reasons you're stating.

You don't honestly believe that the world would be better run by Christians using the Bible, do you? None of you guys can ever agree on what it says! Which denomination would be in charge? Who would be in charge of interpretation? I shudder to even think how things would turn out if this were the case!

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Sorry --- let me give the full statement here --- I left an ingredient out:

Put another way:

I came to that conclusion after seeing a couple of threads on why we Christians, if we truly believe the Bible, aren't out executing witches.

Well, if Christians were trying to run the world by using science in the way they intreprete the Bible... wait, they are trying to do that!

We are in trouble!

(Disclaimer: I deliberately left out the "some" Christians I usually use, as AV did the same)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Put another way:

Severely flawed. The world isn't run by the Bible right now. Why would it be if atheists were in charge?
'If', CoderHead --- I said, 'if'.
You don't honestly believe that the world would be better run by Christians using the Bible, do you?
Yes.
None of you guys can ever agree on what it says!
Like Congress can, now?

Upvote 0

CoderHead

Knee Dragger
Aug 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟16,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
'If', CoderHead --- I said, 'if'.
But your entire statement is 100% flawed. "IF" atheists ran the world, they would not use a deity's book for guidelines. I can't even answer the question because it's complete and utter nonsense. Not to mention (again) the fact that currently the world is not run by the Bible. So there would be no need for atheists to run the world using the Bible.
Do you deny that Christians disagree on interpreting the Bible?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
But your entire statement is 100% flawed. "IF" atheists ran the world, they would not use a deity's book for guidelines. I can't even answer the question because it's complete and utter nonsense. Not to mention (again) the fact that currently the world is not run by the Bible. So there would be no need for atheists to run the world using the Bible.
It's a hypothetical, darling. It's not logically impossible, so it's a valid (if implausible) scenario.
Not sure what it's got to do with anything though...

Upvote 0

CoderHead

Knee Dragger
Aug 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟16,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's not logically impossible, so it's a valid (if implausible) scenario.
So, how would you answer it?

I guess if I'm having to go along with the "what if" then I'd say it would be a horrible world if atheists ran the world using the Bible the way we interpret it. I don't think there would be anything good about it at all.

That being said, I think we'd be in for a lot of suffering and heartache if Christians ran the world using the Bible the way they interpret it as well. Being completely honest, of course. I'm not just trying to take a jab at anyone. There's way too much division over what the Bible says and there are like a kajillion denominations to prove it.

I don't like either option.

Upvote 0

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Again, why would atheists run the world based on the Bible? The first thing atheists would want to do is get the Bible out of government altogether. For the very reasons you're stating.

You don't honestly believe that the world would be better run by Christians using the Bible, do you? None of you guys can ever agree on what it says! Which denomination would be in charge? Who would be in charge of interpretation? I shudder to even think how things would turn out if this were the case!

I gotta agree with u a little on this one. I get more upset at "self-proclaimed" Christians going against what is in the Word (abortion, homo-sex, not believing the Bible is the Word of God and should be taken literally) than I ever do with non-Christians (everyone else to me) screaming there is no God or Jesus isn't the only way. There are as many if not more "self-proclaimed" Christians who are just as lost as "self-proclaimed" atheists.

You are right if some of these people ran this country, anarchy would prevail.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
So, how would you answer it?

I guess if I'm having to go along with the "what if" then I'd say it would be a horrible world if atheists ran the world using the Bible the way we interpret it. I don't think there would be anything good about it at all.
Agreed.

That being said, I think we'd be in for a lot of suffering and heartache if Christians ran the world using the Bible the way they interpret it as well. Being completely honest, of course. I'm not just trying to take a jab at anyone. There's way too much division over what the Bible says and there are like a kajillion denominations to prove it.I don't like either option.
If you want to see a theocracy, just look at the Middle-East. Not a pretty picture.

Upvote 0

MST3K Fan

Bat Guano!
Sep 11, 2009
The Satellite of Love
✟7,643.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
People around here say that the number one reason people aren't christians is because of christians themselves. As in...the really religious ones who go around trying to force it on people and preaching over people like there's no tomorrow...Is it true? I'm curious.
Not with me. I'm not christian for the same reason that I'm not of any other religion - I just don't believe that they are true.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yup --- like I said --- we'd all be in trouble.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yep. Now acknowledge the second part of my post. ;)
That being said, I think we'd be in for a lot of suffering and heartache if Christians ran the world using the Bible the way they interpret it as well. Being completely honest, of course. I'm not just trying to take a jab at anyone. There's way too much division over what the Bible says and there are like a kajillion denominations to prove it.
Maybe you'd like to give us an example --- like I did?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CoderHead

Knee Dragger
Aug 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟16,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Maybe you'd like to give us an example --- like I did?
I came to that conclusion after seeing threads on CF where the argument against same-sex marriage and equal rights for LGBT people was pretty much that God thinks it's yucky.

I came to that conclusion after watching the shenanigans of Westboro Baptist Church.

I came to that conclusion after hearing people repeatedly chant, "this is a Christian Nation!"

I came to that conclusion after seeing stories of abortion clinics being bombed and doctors being killed.

I came to that conclusion after having grown up hearing, "Mormons are a cult and they're going to Hell" even though Mormons are Christians too.

And...I came to these conclusions realizing that none of those viewpoints are shared by all Christians even though they're based on interpretations of the Bible by people who profess themselves to be Christians - and take great pride in it. In fact, these viewpoints are actually despised by some Christians and embraced by others, yet they both believe in the same God and read the same Bible. How is that?

In addition, seeing as how I've had a lot of immersion in Christianity and your views on creation and the flood are unlike any others I've ever heard, I'd say there's a huge divide in the Christian community over nearly every issue.

What kind of government do you think that would be?

And also, Christians did burn witches. They just don't do it anymore.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And...I came to these conclusions realizing that none of those viewpoints are shared by all Christians even though they're based on interpretations of the Bible by people who profess themselves to be Christians - and take great pride in it. In fact, these viewpoints are actually despised by some Christians and embraced by others, yet they both believe in the same God and read the same Bible. How is that?
Then you're basing your viewpoints on the fact that Christians vacillate.

I base my viewpoint on the fact that atheists do not --- (at least, not the ones I've seen on this site).

In other words, you're saying we'd all be in trouble because Christians couldn't make up their minds; and I'm saying we'd all be in trouble because atheists did make up their minds.

So there's really no comparison here, is there?
In addition, seeing as how I've had a lot of immersion in Christianity and your views on creation and the flood are unlike any others I've ever heard, I'd say there's a huge divide in the Christian community over nearly every issue.
Please do feel free to tell me what view I have on the Flood that is different from anything you've ever heard before.

I go three routes when I interpret the Bible --- in the following order:

1. A literal interpretation of the passage, followed by:
  2. What basic doctrine says about the subject, followed by:
  3. My own ad-libbed, but what I consider, an educated guess.
For example:

1. 'How long did it rain on the earth?' would be answered by #1 above.
  2. 'Where did the rain come from?' would be answered by #2 above.
  3. 'Where did the Flood waters go?' would be answered by #3 above.
In respect to the Bible, or in spite of It?

Upvote 0
A

Alunyel

I came to that conclusion after seeing threads on CF where the argument against same-sex marriage and equal rights for LGBT people was pretty much that God thinks it's yucky.

What kind of government do you think that would be?

They can't do it anymore, because society's become too secular. If they tried it, they'd just be arrested.

You forgot to add:

Mjc~ODE2_large.jpg

At soldier's funerals.

I honestly don't think it's possible to be more insensitive. If one of my family members died in combat, and they appeared at their funeral, they'd end up leaving in an ambulance.

Upvote 0

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
They can't do it anymore, because society's become too secular. If they tried it, they'd just be arrested.

You forgot to add:

Mjc&

At soldier's funerals.

I honestly don't think it's possible to be more insensitive. If one of my family members died in combat, and they appeared at their funeral, they'd end up leaving in an ambulance.

Every belief and religion has the weirdos including Christianity and your atheistic one. To pick a few crazies and say this is the Christian religion is not only wrong, but also show just how little you know about Christianity.

I would like to just point out I said weirdo, not extremist, because an "extreme" Christian is just what this world needs...wait, Jesus comes to mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ayersy

Friendly Neighborhood Nihilist
Sep 2, 2009
England
✟17,209.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Every belief and religion has the weirdos including Christianity and your atheistic one. To pick a few crazies and say this is the Christian religion is not only wrong, but also show just how little you know about Christianity.

I would like to just point out I said weirdo, not extremist, because an "extreme" Christian is just what this world needs...wait, Jesus comes to mind.

When was the last time you saw atheists mocking the recently deceased in front of their families outside the funeral?

Name some 'crazy' things some atheist weirdo's have done in the name of atheism. I don't doubt there are some, but I think they are far lesser in number in comparison to the amount done by religious nutjobs.

Upvote 0