Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
what cannot be destroyed, but only change form? What links everything that exists (all that can be seen, and all that cannot) across the universe? What is one thing that fire, wind, or the center of a black hole had in common?
Energy?

Upvote 0

CraigBaugher

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
✟8,167.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Energy... God's communication device, from one side of the universe to the other, and everything in-between, from the unseen nano particles to the unavoidably large, Everything is connected by energy. Everything is connected to God!

Big Bang, what sparked it? What launch them, put them into orbit, or made them collide? Life, who created it (even in its simplist form)? Who or what created every element?

Are we Sims, and God is our Gamer? (a little humor)...

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Everything is connected by energy.
Did you mean 'gravity'?

An electron at one end of the universe exerts a pull on an electron at the other end of the universe.

In fact, there is no such a thing as 'zero gravity' --- scientists have moved the goalpost to 'microgravity'.

Upvote 0

ragarth

Nov 27, 2008
Virginia, USA
✟1,704.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Did you mean 'gravity'?

An electron at one end of the universe exerts a pull on an electron at the other end of the universe.

In fact, there is no such a thing as 'zero gravity' --- scientists have moved the goalpost to 'microgravity'.

This is where things get complicated, once the force of gravity reaches a certain weakness, it runs into the granularity of the universe as defined by quantum mechanics. At that point it hypothetically has no effect. This is one of those complicated issues where the laws of physics as we know them break down- because we don't know everything. :)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is where things get complicated, once the force of gravity reaches a certain weakness, it runs into the granularity of the universe as defined by quantum mechanics. At that point it hypothetically has no effect. This is one of those complicated issues where the laws of physics as we know them break down- because we don't know everything. :)
Okay --- thanks for the 411.

Upvote 0

PhilosophicalBluster

Existential Good-for-Nothing (See: Philosopher)
Dec 2, 2008
✟16,346.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Energy... God's communication device, from one side of the universe to the other, and everything in-between, from the unseen nano particles to the unavoidably large, Everything is connected by energy. Everything is connected to God!

Big Bang, what sparked it? What launch them, put them into orbit, or made them collide? Life, who created it (even in its simplist form)? Who or what created every element?

Why do you expect atheists to know everything about how the universe began? The truth is, they don't. Nobody does.

I'll save you a lot of time: The answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well, not everything. Every event is in its own lightcone in spacetime, and nothing beyond that cone can be influenced by that event.

Big Bang, what sparked it?

What launch them, put them into orbit, or made them collide?
What, planets? They're just aggregates of interstellar dust.

Life, who created it (even in its simplist form)?
Inorganic chemicals reacting to form organic chemicals (micelles, monomers, lipid bilayers, amino acids, etc). That's the simplest form of life.

Who or what created every element?
Novae.

If we're in a game, I'm dying to know what the cheat codes are ^_^.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Did you mean 'gravity'?

That's not exactly what moving the goalposts means... but ragarth explained microgravity well, so all's good.

Upvote 0

StarCannon

Warmaster
Oct 27, 2007
At home.
✟9,221.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Proofs are for mathematics and alcohol, not for statements of a scientific or a philosophical sort.

I don't see why proof should be a requirement for belief in the nonexistence of something. While an absense of evidence might not be proof of absense, it is nevertheless evidence of absense. If gods remain so stubbornly hidden that they might as well not exist, it is reasonable to conclude that they don't exist. One might not have proven this beyond all doubt, but so what? Let's deal in human certainties rather than demanding what tends to be impossible -- proofs about what cannot or does not exist.

*points to Calculus, which requires all manner of proofs and yet allows for the basis of much advancement in societies, in many things scientific and not so. Old post, I know, but I had to reply to that*

Sidenote: Though rabid Christian behavior was obviously not the origin of my Atheism, it is distasteful and certainly not helpful for the Christian cause, since I only walk away rolling my eyes instead of receiving the intended message. This, of course, can be said for all dogmatic and disrespectful people defending any belief. It's one thing to be passionate, another thing to be militant.

I used to be one of those rabid dogs. That was until I started playing Tomb Raider and my natural inclination not to be told what to do took over.

I'm more like an agnostic atheist myself. I know for a fact that there's no way I can be sure gods do/don't exist, but my official stance on it is that I have no use for them one way or the other. I don't assert that there are no gods (I may elude to or even voice that opinion from time to time), but I'm pretty certain there aren't - and even if there are, they don't affect me at all. It's their followers I have to worry about.

Depends on the method of contact, these gods. Call to them in earnest and they may yet answer. I do know that most peeps won't ever call to them, and the gods won't answer blatantly when they are not called... unless there is some special individual that catches their eye. Really,it depends on the nature of the experiment and nature of the proof... introspection and careful observation are heavily favored in these...

Upvote 0