• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

A question about Job.

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by brinny, Jun 20, 2013.

1. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+104,771
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    The "key".

The "key" to understanding Job himself, and the entire BOOK of Job is this:

"There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil." ~Job 1:1

The above verse is rooted in this very PROFOUND verse below in the Bible. It is about "fearing God". And that "fearing God is the root of all "wisdom":

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Proverbs 9:10

This "key" is the very foundation to understanding Job himself and the entire book of Job, from beginning to end.

God already ESTABLISHES "who" Job is from the very beginning.

Anyone who came along and and accused Job of being evil and wicked, was either blatantly lying, or didn't know Job very well, or God.

Even Job's wife, in her anger, testified to Job's uprightness (integrity), when she told him to "abandon" it, and curse God, and die.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. brinny

+104,771
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    The bottom line is, that Job maintained his integrity throughout the entire inexplicably horrendous ordeal upon ordeal, and he did NOT curse God.

In essence, his maintaining his integrity against a tsunami and then some of odds, and NOT cursing God, essentially shut the yammering mouth of Satan. Of course Job wasn't aware of this. Job, through ALL of this, kept seeking God as he had always done, and was akin to how Jesus was struggling on the cross when He called out to God, asking Him why He had "forsaken" Him. Job felt "forsaken" by God. God seemed nowhere to be found.

In spite of it all, he maintained his integrity, and did not curse God.

That is why God chose Job. It is because this is who Job was, according to God Himself, Who "described" Job:

"There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.” " ~Job 1:1

The bottom line, and what the entire book of Job rests on is this:

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Pr 9:10

Job "feared" God.

Therefore he was wise and he had understanding even before Satan was given permission to come at Job with the equivalent of one tsunami after another.

GOD prevailed. His servant who "feared" Him did not do as Satan was counting on him doing, thus rendering Satan not only silent, but his accusations null and void. Satan was, in essence, "mocking" God, right there in the heavenly realm, for all to see. He was soooooo counting on Job folding under all of the mountainous inexplicable torturings, and "turning" on God. What he had forgotten is that Job was EXACTLY as God described him, and that was, a man who "feared God", and eschewed evil. If in fact Job was a man who "feared" God, he was ALREADY "cemented" to God in body, mind, soul, and spirit. God KNEW this. He KNEW Job.

Satan didn't. He got it wrong from the gitgo BIG TIME. God KNEW this.

Job, God's own "witness", "testified" in front of all of heaven that what Satan was accusing God of, was groundless. God KNEW this already. It's because He KNEW Job's "heart".

Thus, in spite of it all, he maintained his integrity, and did not curse God. He was what God has repeatedly called genuine men of God throughout His Word, and that is a "wise-hearted" man.

God KNEW Job's "heart" waaaay before this all started and before Satan raised his ooooogly falsely-accusing sawwy head in accusations against God, and his false accusations against Job.

Thus why Jesus Himself called Satan the "father of lies", amongst other things.

Satan was thwarted at his own game, that he himself started from the gitgo.

Satan publicly trounced himself for all of heaven to glaringly see and witness. It wasn't GOD Who was found to be erring here, nor was it Job. It was Satan, the accuser and the "father of lies" himself.

Check mate Satan.

Mission accomplished.

Amen.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  3. brinny

+104,771
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    What Satan meant for evil, and a blot against God, God transformed it into good, and a living, breathing testimony, for all to see, through His servant Job.

This verse comes to mind:

"But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good" ~Gen 50:20

4. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+8,978
    Anabaptist
    Job 42 GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)

Job Speaks: I Admit That I Was Wrong
    Then Job answered the Lord,

2 “I know that you can do everything
    and that your plans are unstoppable.

3 “You said, ‘Who is this that belittles my advice
    without having any knowledge about it?’
    Yes, I have stated things I didn’t understand,
    things too mysterious for me to know.

4 “You said, ‘Listen now, and I will speak.
    I will ask you, and you will teach me.’
    5 I had heard about you with my own ears,
    but now I have seen you with my own eyes.
    6 That is why I take back what I said,
    and I sit in dust and ashes to show that I am sorry.”

Bible Gateway passage: Job 42 - GOD’S WORD Translation

5. brinny

+104,771
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Did Job maintain his integrity? Did Job curse God? Did Satan "win" here?

Why did God even allow Satan to come at Job with all that he had (except to not kill him?)

Did God KNOW Job? Was Job a "godly" man?

How did God describe Job?

What was God looking for, through all of this, and at the very conclusion of it all?

Who "won"?

Who was rendered silent from their incessant accusations?

Was this about "Job"?

At ALL?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  6. brinny

+104,771
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    This applies to Job's "season of suffering" or ANY of our own:

[​IMG]

7. brinny

+104,771
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    This applies as well. If anything, i don't know what ELSE Job's inexplicable suffering, from ev'ry direction imaginable, would describe Job's affliction, non-stop, with one inexplicable "boom" after the other. It also applies to us in our own seasons in that "furnace of affliction":

[​IMG]

8. ewq1938

ewq1938 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,205
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Job 19:6 Know now that God hath overthrown me, and hath compassed me with his net.
    Job 19:7 Behold, I cry out of wrong, but I am not heard: I cry aloud, but there is no judgment.
    Job 19:8 He hath fenced up my way that I cannot pass, and he hath set darkness in my paths.
    Job 19:9 He hath stripped me of my glory, and taken the crown from my head.
    Job 19:10 He hath destroyed me on every side, and I am gone: and mine hope hath he removed like a tree.
    Job 19:11 He hath also kindled his wrath against me, and he counteth me unto him as one of his enemies.
    Job 19:12 His troops come together, and raise up their way against me, and encamp round about my tabernacle.
    Job 19:13 He hath put my brethren far from me, and mine acquaintance are verily estranged from me.

Nothing said here by Job is true. He is blaming God for what Satan has done. He will eventually see the error of his terrible accusations and repent:

Job 42:1 Then Job answered the LORD, and said,
    Job 42:2 I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee.
    Job 42:3 Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.
    Job 42:4 Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.
    Job 42:5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.
    Job 42:6 Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

9. brinny

+104,771
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Job sinned?

If so, what sin, in particular, did he commit?

On another note, was this about Job?

10. ewq1938

+4,205
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Yes, and he repented.

He said untrue things about God. It amounts to cursing God.

Yes.

11. brinny

+104,771
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    He never cursed God.

It was Job's "friends" that God said spoke un-rightly about God, even as God said Job spoke "rightly" about Him.

How was God allowing Satan to un-leash all he could (except death) about "Job"?

How/Why did this entire scenario originate?

12. ewq1938

+4,205
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican

He did it multiple times throughout the majority of the book which is why God chastised him for several chapters which caused Job to understand how wrong he had been and repent.

13. brinny

+104,771
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Job was not aware of the conversation that God had with Satan before all of this unfolded. He was seeking God throughout all of it. He felt forsaken/abandoned by God just as Jesus Christ, when He was hanging on the cross did when He cried out asking 'My God my God why has thou forsaken me?'

Job did not curse God. Not once.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  14. brinny

+104,771
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    How/Why did this entire scenario originate?

15. brinny

+104,771
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Job: The Wise-Hearted.

i was just meditating on the verse about the fear of the Lord, and Job came to mind. As i think on it, and the many times that God speaks of the "wise-hearted" throughout His Word, that Job was surely "wise-hearted".

For how can any one be "wise-hearted" WITHOUT the "fear of the Lord"? It is that very thing that is the epitome of wisdom, and that is the "fear of the Lord", as it is written in this verse:

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Pr 9:10

Job was a "wise-hearted" man of God, which is akin to an "un-divided" heart, which is very precious to God, as it is written all throughout His Word.

[​IMG]

16. brinny

+104,771
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    The question is....

Was all that occurred in the Book of Job, when his children were killed, and all that fell and came crashing down in his life like dominoes, about "job"?

(By the way, have you ever felt like that?)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019