Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
After God restores Job, what happens to his wife and his three friends?
We can only speculate on that, as the story evolves around Job as a type/figure of Christ and Christians today and how we also will go thru test and trials in our walk with YAHWEH and our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ. :)

Rom 1:21
because, although they knew God, they did not glorify [Him] as God, nor were thankful,
but became futile in their thoughts and their foolish hearts were darkened.

Rev 16:11

They blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and did not repent of their deeds.

Kindgdom Bible Studies Job
JOB

*snip*

In one tragic day all Job's earthly wealth and glory had vanished as a mist before the rising sun.
But did Job curse God for all this calamity? Did he even curse the Devil? Was he a fair weather saint without spiritual understanding?
No, indeed! He rent his mantle, shaved his head, and falling upon the ground, he WORSHIPPED GOD with the unmistakable words of reverence, "Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: THE LORD GAVE, AND THE LORD HAS TAKEN AWAY; BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD!" (Job 1:22).

You see, beloved, all external evidence shouted aloud that God did not love Job, that God had forsaken him, that God did not see him, that God was not concerned about what happened to him, and that God wasn't just. It seemed that God had now revealed Himself to be the opposite of all Job had experienced and known of Him.

But, praise God! Job knew God! He therefore knew that in spite of all the apparent external evidence, in spite of how terrible and hopeless things appeared, God had not forsaken him, God did love him, God did see him, God was concerned about what happened to him, God was in control of everything, and God was just.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think they stayed his friends

there would have all been large land owners, kind of nomadic patriarchs right?
I got from it that they respected each other as equals, probably helped run off bandits. They were not like blood brothers or any close friendship, look at how they assume the worst about Job?
But they also thought enough about him/cared enough about him to talk to him about it.

They did hear the voice of God coming from a cloud calling Job a just man, so I assume that after the events of described in the Bible, they were probably a little more deferential to him.
they might have been ashamed of their wrong judgment and might try to limit their contact with him after that. But I do not think they would actively shun him for fear of what God might do to them.
Over all I think things went back to normal
With Job being even richer, thus making him an even better ally to have for a desert tribal patriarch. I assume that is what all of these men were, with the descriptions of what Job owns in the beginning of the book and how God blesses him even more in the end, I assume that his 3 friends were of comparable social standing.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We can only speculate on that, as the story evolves around Job as a type/figure of Christ and Christians today and how we also will go thru test and trials in our walk with YAHWEH and our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ. :)

JOB

*snip*

In one tragic day all Job's earthly wealth and glory had vanished as a mist before the rising sun.
But did Job curse God for all this calamity? Did he even curse the Devil? Was he a fair weather saint without spiritual understanding?
No, indeed! He rent his mantle, shaved his head, and falling upon the ground, he WORSHIPPED GOD with the unmistakable words of reverence, "Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: THE LORD GAVE, AND THE LORD HAS TAKEN AWAY; BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD!" (Job 1:22).

You see, beloved, all external evidence shouted aloud that God did not love Job, that God had forsaken him, that God did not see him, that God was not concerned about what happened to him, and that God wasn't just. It seemed that God had now revealed Himself to be the opposite of all Job had experienced and known of Him. But, praise God! Job knew God! He therefore knew that in spite of all the apparent external evidence, in spite of how terrible and hopeless things appeared, God had not forsaken him, God did love him, God did see him, God was concerned about what happened to him, God was in control of everything, and God was just.

Thank you for your post.....i'm listening to a Bible study on Job each day, and it seems Job is all too easily misunderstood. Your posts hits it about right...for Job, maybe the most angusishing part of it all, was that apparently he had no clue why this was happening.....as day-after-day only added to his misery.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think they stayed his friends

there would have all been large land owners, kind of nomadic patriarchs right?
I got from it that they respected each other as equals, probably helped run off bandits. They were not like blood brothers or any close friendship, look at how they assume the worst about Job?
But they also thought enough about him/cared enough about him to talk to him about it.

They did hear the voice of God coming from a cloud calling Job a just man, so I assume that after the events of described in the Bible, they were probably a little more deferential to him.
they might have been ashamed of their wrong judgment and might try to limit their contact with him after that. But I do not think they would actively shun him for fear of what God might do to them.
Over all I think things went back to normal
With Job being even richer, thus making him an even better ally to have for a desert tribal patriarch. I assume that is what all of these men were, with the descriptions of what Job owns in the beginning of the book and how God blesses him even more in the end, I assume that his 3 friends were of comparable social standing.

interesting.....thanks...

*ponders*

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by LittleLambofJesus

JOB
Thank you for your post.....i'm listening to a Bible study on Job each day, and it seems Job is all too easily misunderstood. Your posts hits it about right...for Job, maybe the most angusishing part of it all, was that apparently he had no clue why this was happening.....as day-after-day only added to his misery.
I would have loved to have been there with JOB right at the last.
I probably would have been speechless [or suffered a heart attack] listening to YAHWEH speaking to me, like he did JOB in the final chapters :angel:

Job 40:1
Moreover the LORD answered Job, and said:
2 "Shall the one who contends with the Almighty correct [Him]? He who rebukes God, let him answer it."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I love his faithfulness even when his wife gave up and his friends turned, would have loved to see the friends after God restored him

that's where my ponderin's have been also...

Upvote 0

~ Gig ~

God is Gracious
Aug 6, 2004
Eastern Canada
✟315,811.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I love his faithfulness even when his wife gave up and his friends turned, would have loved to see the friends after God restored him

:amen: I wonder how they felt, I wonder how we would feel if it had been us in that situation?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
:amen: I wonder how they felt, I wonder how we would feel if it had been us in that situation?

yeah, i've been on the end of suffering in inexplicable ways, while God seemed silent and where it seemed ev'rybody misunderstood.....

that is an excellent question...thanks fer postin'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I personally believe that the story of Job was an allegory. Moses wrote Job, according to the Jews. He believe that God was giving a revelation about the future Gospel.

Job was a man who had a righteousness based on the law. He did what what law called for but he didn't have true faith, which was revealed when Job's own physical or outward appearance was besieged by Satan.

At first all that he achieved in life were taken away, but Job didn't challenge God. Then Satan was given permission to attack Job and his pride couldn't handle what had become of him. Job then begin to challenge God which showed his lack of faith.

The three friends who thought that they were doing the right thing most likely represent something in Judaism or they could represent our own friends or Christians who think that are helping but fail to understand while the fourth sees Job real problem.

When God comes and revels the truth to Job, we can see the Gospel and how one should understand that they do not have the right to challenge God but should trust in him regardless of what life casts upon us.

When Job realizes this, God grants him righteousness, which is the only righteousness that matters. Righteousness through faith. Job then receives all plus much more back from God.

As Christians we are rich even though others may not see what we glory in.

In the story of Job we may see the Old Covenant and the New Covenant, as Job changes from a self made righteousness to one granted by God.

We might also see ourselves, as we grow from a weak faith into faithful Christian.

One who has experienced the trials of Job can understand how we may hold onto the world when we first come to God but as we grow in faith, we have to lose the world in order to receive the kingdom.

• Useful
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Let's just, for a moment, for the sake of my ponderings on this, look at Job as a real person that lived.

Then let's look at his wife, and his 3 friends (or were there 4?)..

after God restores Job, what do you think happened to his wife and 3-4 friends?

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
His wife had ten more children for him and he offered sacrifices for his friends, so they would be forgiven.

He had too:) -besides he rebuked her when she spoke in frustration, and then she was silent.
She had lost everything Job had, and her husband was as good as dead, so it was hard for her, too....
They got together in peace, cause they had ten more children.
Job 42 tells the story...
5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.
6 Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.
7 And it was so, that after the Lord had spoken these words unto Job, the Lord said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath.
8 Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you after your folly, in that ye have not spoken of me the thing which is right, like my servant Job.
9 So Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went, and did according as the Lord commanded them: the Lord also accepted Job.
10 And the Lord turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before.
11 Then came there unto him all his brethren, and all his sisters, and all they that had been of his acquaintance before, and did eat bread with him in his house: and they bemoaned him, and comforted him over all the evil that the Lord had brought upon him: every man also gave him a piece of money, and every one an earring of gold.
12 So the Lord blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning: for he had fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses.
13 He had also seven sons and three daughters.
14 And he called the name of the first, Jemima; and the name of the second, Kezia; and the name of the third, Kerenhappuch.
15 And in all the land were no women found so fair as the daughters of Job: and their father gave them inheritance among their brethren.
16 After this lived Job an hundred and forty years, and saw his sons, and his sons' sons, even four generations.
17 So Job died, being old and full of days.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally believe that the story of Job was an allegory. Moses wrote Job, according to the Jews. He believe that God was giving a revelation about the future Gospel.

We were told that by men who just guessed, but looking at the historical writings, Job and friends of the east are descended from Abraham and Keturah, and there is no reason that the writing of Job did not come from himself and was collected in the manuscripts that the righteous kept in the centuries before Israel became a nation.
Job had the revelation of Enoch to read and obey in righteousness, because he and his friends speak many things that they gleaned from the "Wisdom of God" as written by Enoch and which was also a book Abraham had got from Shem and Noah and read to the wise men of Pharaoh, as is written in his own story copied in the DSS Manuscripts which is called "the Genesis Apocryphon".
The history book, called "The Book of the Upright" or "Book of Jasher" in English and the Genesis record place the friends of Job in the east, and as descendants of Abraham and Keturah; so Job was written pre-Israel's establishment and was during the time they were in Egypt.

I used to think Job was the second king in Edom, Jobab, because some tradition from ancient Jews after the diaspora thought so, but after reading the history book and the names of the descendants of Abraham and Keturah in the east who are Job's friends and relations by ancestry, it is easy to place it.
The proverbs Job's friends spoke were true, but they were wrongly applied, without wisdom and discernment by his friends, but Solomon collected the proverbs they used and rewrote them for the book of Proverbs.

• Informative
Upvote 0